Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2023, 15:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Just a quick question. Why are not people looking at the Ceat or Apollo A/Ts? Are they that inferior? I think 215s are available in both these brands?
Old 20th June 2023, 15:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Don't remember the exact model name, but a close buddy had Conti's with same design. Might be the earlier model if AX6 is a new launch, but have pics and thread design is exact same. Have driven the vehicle quiet a bit with these on road and off-road, it was previous gen Thar.
AX6 is replica of Pirelli Scorpion ATR
How do I know? I bought one set for the fortuner 4 days back and while digging up online found these info.
Old 20th June 2023, 23:54   #33
BHPian

I am currently using Maxxis AT980 30/9.5" size on stock Bolero rim (6.5J) no issues as such and tires are really superb. Wish these are available easily now but sadly not available here. So those looking to fit 215/75 on stock 5.5J wheels of Jimny should be possible I suppose. Else getting a 6.5 or 7j rim in required offset or design will be a challenge and the most commonly available 8j offset do hamper the articulation and full turn (wheels will touch body panels/ claddings).
I think some owners have already changed their Jimny's wheels to 215/75 on stock rims already (Can be checked on FB or Youtube)

BTW, I also wanted to know what other brands are good (Heard UM is not that good and poor quality compared to other brands)
So what are best tires in AT which are easily available?

Comparison between Geolandar ATS G015 vs CrossContact AT vs Wrangler AT/SA vs Apterra AT2 ?

Any other model recommendations? Usage 60% on road 40% offroad.

Edit:
This video is with stock rim with 215/75 uplift

Thanks

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th June 2023 at 08:22. Reason: Geolander > Geolandar
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 13:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yokohama Geolandar A/T is available in that size.
Yokohama Geolandar A/T with the 215/75/r15 are available in two options

Yokohama Geolandar A/T 215/75/r15 100 S and 215/75/r15 97 LT

The 100 S is advertised as Smooth Ride/High Mileage/Low Noise vs the 97 LT is advertised as Excellent Dry&Wet Grip/Low Noise. The tread pattern seems to be same.

My usage is mostly in the city and the 100 S seems to be the obvious choice for me. However the my dealer in B'lore only has the 97 LT with White/Blue Lettering and is willing to buyback the stock Birdgestone Duler H/T 195/80R15 96S for 4500/- a piece. 100 S is available online but then I will have to find a buyer for the stock tyres.

So my question is, does the 100S vary significantly from the 97 LT in performance?

Last edited by hishetty : 21st June 2023 at 13:57. Reason: typos
hishetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 14:05   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishetty View Post
100S has thicker sidewall and hence 800 Kg load rating Vs 97 with 730 Kg. This is what I could make out.

100s https://www.tyremarket.com/Yokohama-...100-S-Car-Tyre

97 LT https://www.tyremarket.com/Yokohama-...-S-LT-Car-Tyre

Check with a Yoko tyre dealer and they should have details of the spec.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 17:50   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Yokohama Geolandar A/T with the 215/75/r15 are available in two options

Are you sure?
I did visit the Yokohama India website but all I found out was that the G015 in 215/75R15 size is only available as a Light Truck tyre. The chart below will show the differences. An LT version will be heavier than the passenger car version of the same size. The Jimny being a light vehicle (when compared to other 4WD's) would be better off with lighter tyres. Although it would be a different story if you plan on getting heavy duty aftermarket shock absorbers installed.

Quote:
The 100 S is advertised as Smooth Ride/High Mileage/Low Noise vs the 97 LT is advertised as Excellent Dry&Wet Grip/Low Noise.
The LT version will have better tread life due to taller tread blocks and a tougher sidewall due to a higher ply rating. These are meant for commercial applications. So, comfort levels will never be above those of the P counterpart.

Quote:
The tread pattern seems to be same.
A couple of years ago, I did purchase the previous generation Geolandar G012 for a friends' vehicle. On close inspection, we noticed that the Passenger version had more rounded shoulders than the LT version. Similarly, when stacked together, the LT looked slightly taller than its Passenger counterpart. I believe its the same with the G015's too.

Please try to contact the distributor/main dealer for Karnataka (your state) and get the contact details for the shop that has stock of the tyre of your choice. And strictly check the time stamps on the tyres. I personally would not accept anything older than 6 months. Hopefully, a good shop that sells decent volumes will not tamper with the time stamps.

LINK: https://www.yokohama-india.com/produ...landar-at-g015
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yokohama-geolandar-g015-15_inch_models.jpg  

aravind422 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 18:05   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
Are you sure?
I did visit the Yokohama India website
Thanks for the lead, I went searching and found this in Yokohama Tyre site.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires-1...g-information#

So LT=SUV tyre, 100S=Load index and speed index. Do the math, but seems like they are pretty much same, so go with the ones that are new batch.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 21:47   #38
BHPian

Are LT (Light Truck) tires any good? I had used a LT rated set before and ride was very harsh and bumpier and repaced with AT980. It seems that the LT rated tyres has harder ply sidewall making it hard but tuff compared to regular tires for same size and model.
offroad_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 22:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Please try to contact the distributor/main dealer for Karnataka (your state) and get the contact details for the shop that has stock of the tyre of your choice. And strictly check the time stamps on the tyres. I personally would not accept anything older than 6 months. Hopefully, a good shop that sells decent volumes will not tamper with the time stamps.
The dealer sent me the below snapshot

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20230621-12.48.16-pm.jpeg

so the Load index is 97/100. Upon further research, this is what i found:

The first number (100) represents the load capacity when the tire is inflated to its maximum specified pressure.

The second number (97) represents the load capacity when the tire is inflated to a lower maximum pressure (also specified by the tire manufacturer).

And like @Aravind422 and @Jaggu have rightly pointed, it only comes with LT variant.

If i can hazard a guess, based on the load type (P/LT) you pick the maximum pressure and effect the ride quality. I might be wrong here.
hishetty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 22:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Are LT (Light Truck) tires any good? I had used a LT rated set before and ride was very harsh and bumpier and repaced with AT980. It seems that the LT rated tyres has harder ply sidewall making it hard but tuff compared to regular tires for same size and model.
An LT tire is basically a reinforced tire with an extra steel belt, thicker, stiffer sidewalls, and a deeper tread. They are meant to perform better while hauling, working, and driving on non-paved roads.

LT tires are available in a variety of ply levels that are typically Load Range C (6 ply), D (8 ply), or E (10 ply). Construction of a LT tire is more robust compared to a passenger (P-metric) tire and will mostly be in a B (4-ply).

Here are the detailed specs of the Yokohama Geolandar LT215/75R15. As you will notice that this tire is rated at the C load range which is perfect for a vehicle meant for mixed duty (on/off pavement) usage.

I have been using this exact tire on my 2016 Gypsy King (HT) which is almost 200kgs lighter than the Jimny without any issues.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-yokohama.jpg

Source: Tirerack website
Vikram Arya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2023, 23:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Its an AT tyre by all means but more specially made for semi commercial/off road type vehicles. So comfort may be marginally compromised.

So if you are very particular about comfort, then stick to SL rated.

Here is a good link comparing C vs SL rated Tyres - https://tirehungry.com/sl-vs-c1-tires/
hishetty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2023, 07:48   #42
BHPian

Quote:
so the Load index is 97/100.
To add to this, 100/97 is a dual Load Index rating that comes into play for dual tyre applications.

ie:

The Load Index of 100 is applicable when the tyre is used for all normal vehicles (with just one tyre on each side of an axle).

When fitted to heavier applications like for example, a Force Traveller with two tyres on each side of the rear axle, the second rating of 97 should be accepted (instead of 100).

(I am not saying that 215/75R15 is applicable to the Force Traveller, just citing a dual rear tyre example)

There is a certain necessity for this lower rating for dual tyre applications. When driven over uneven surfaces (even the curved tops of our Indian roads), a significant percentage of the load will fall on the inner tyres. Therefore, to maintain a safe margin, the lower load rating is accepted while airing up and/or loading the vehicle.

Cheers.
Old 28th June 2023, 22:54   #43
BHPian

What is the weight of the commonly available tyres in size 215/75R15?
As per description in Amazon, Conti CrossContract are 10kg (?lighter than stock Jimny tyres?!) while the Yoko Geolanders are 14 Kg.
Falken Windpeak ATs are reported as 16.4 Kg.
I couldn't find the weight for Conti AX6.
Old 29th June 2023, 09:32   #44
BHPian

How would a tyre upsize affect the warranty (standard+extended) claim, if ever needed.
MS could just say that tyre upsize led to event A which led to event B which led failure, hence claim denied.

Has someone had any experience regarding this? Thank you.

(i've posted this on the main Jimny review thread too and would gladly post the replies here that I receive there)
Old 29th June 2023, 10:53   #45
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Here In Hyderabad I'm getting full set Continental Cross contact 235/75/15 for 14k with exchange of old tires..
Did you upgrade the rims to match the major increase in tyre width?

I think Jimny comes with 5.5J rims, I don't know the offset. That is not safe with 235mm tyres. It will pinch the tyre along the bead.

Here is the rim size table for different tyre width.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th June 2023 at 10:55.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks