Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2023, 12:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did you upgrade the rims to match the major increase in tyre width?

I think Jimny comes with 5.5J rims, I don't know the offset. That is not safe with 235mm tyres. It will pinch the tyre along the bead.

Here is the rim size table for different tyre width.
Greetings,

I spoke with the dealer yesterday and that's the price he quoted for exchange and upgrade. I have not yet finalized sir.

Now that you made it clear, I shall stick to the safe upgrade of 215/75/15.

Thank You for the post.

Drive Safe.
matchvan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 14:34   #47
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysossa View Post
How would a tyre upsize affect the warranty (standard+extended) claim, if ever needed.
MS could just say that tyre upsize led to event A which led to event B which led failure, hence claim denied.
Possible, but Maruti is one of the manufacturer who is rather fair in its warranty dealings. Unless it is a super over size or heavy tyre, one should be ok.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 14:53   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Possible, but Maruti is one of the manufacturer who is rather fair in its warranty dealings. Unless it is a super over size or heavy tyre, one should be ok.
Fair enough. But just wanted to share this; I had a chat with the warranty department persons at my dealership. According to them, all tyre/wheel related/connected issues that may otherwise be covered under warranty, would seize to do so post tyre upgrade. Upon further inquiry, they were clear that I would void my wheel/brake/suspension (direct vicinity items) warranty but were a bit uncertain about axle/drive train related components.

An experienced fleet driver told me that apart from factory warranty, I needed to be careful about future insurance claims. Insurance claim assessors can be very ruthless. He suggested that I keep using the factory tyre setup and only change if absolutely necessary.

Upon considering everything, I've decided to stick to factory fitted ones.
sammysossa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 15:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How would a tyre upsize affect the warranty (standard+extended) claim, if ever needed.
MS could just say that tyre upsize led to event A which led to event B which led failure, hence claim denied.

Has someone had any experience regarding this? Thank you.

(i've posted this on the main Jimny review thread too and would gladly post the replies here that I receive there)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Quote:
Fair enough. But just wanted to share this; I had a chat with the warranty department persons at my dealership. According to them, all tyre/wheel related/connected issues that may otherwise be covered under warranty, would seize to do so post tyre upgrade. Upon further inquiry, they were clear that I would void my wheel/brake/suspension (direct vicinity items) warranty but were a bit uncertain about axle/drive train related components.

An experienced fleet driver told me that apart from factory warranty, I needed to be careful about future insurance claims. Insurance claim assessors can be very ruthless. He suggested that I keep using the factory tyre setup and only change if absolutely necessary.

Upon considering everything, I've decided to stick to factory fitted ones.
When getting the delivery on 12th June, getting rid of stock tyres and replacing them with 215/75/R15 Yokohoma Geolanders was the first thing on my mind. However a quick chat with RSA and a Nexa Manager, I decided to stick to stock for the time being. Will get a full set of 215/75/R15 rims and tyres as a separate set-up 6 months down the line, and keep stock as well.

As per Nexa guys, Any tyre upgrade, will void, Suspension/Steering/Engine Mounts warranty, and if you get a surveyor who is not in the right mindset, they have the ability to void your engine's warranty too.

That said, looks aside, I drove the Jimny to Chitkul over wet roads, broken roads and no roads, the stock tyres are definitely more than adequate for an average user, I didn't purchase Jimny for OTR's but for touring the Himalayas instead, and stock tyres are good enough for this. In fact one of my friends pointed out that it looks allright like old Jeep Cj's with NDMS tyres.
akshay4587 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you upgrade the rims to match the major increase in tyre width?

I think Jimny comes with 5.5J rims, I don't know the offset. That is not safe with 235mm tyres. It will pinch the tyre along the bead.

Here is the rim size table for different tyre width.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchvan View Post
Greetings,

I spoke with the dealer yesterday and that's the price he quoted for exchange and upgrade. I have not yet finalized sir.

Now that you made it clear, I shall stick to the safe upgrade of 215/75/15.

Thank You for the post.

Drive Safe.
235 indeed is too wide for stock rims.
It's a legal and a safety issue in Australia.
The widest and safest bet for stock rims is 225/70/R15.
215/75/R15 being the most common and safest upgrade with stock rims and suspension.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 17:57   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Good one, Vid. Among your good and not good, how do you think your feedback will change with a 215 upsize?
Old 29th June 2023, 18:03   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
When getting the delivery on 12th June, getting rid of stock tyres and replacing them with 215/75/R15 Yokohoma Geolanders was the first thing on my mind. However a quick chat with RSA and a Nexa Manager, I decided to stick to stock for the time being. Will get a full set of 215/75/R15 rims and tyres as a separate set-up 6 months down the line, and keep stock as well.

As per Nexa guys, Any tyre upgrade, will void, Suspension/Steering/Engine Mounts warranty, and if you get a surveyor who is not in the right mindset, they have the ability to void your engine's warranty too.

That said, looks aside, I drove the Jimny to Chitkul over wet roads, broken roads and no roads, the stock tyres are definitely more than adequate for an average user, I didn't purchase Jimny for OTR's but for touring the Himalayas instead, and stock tyres are good enough for this. In fact one of my friends pointed out that it looks allright like old Jeep Cj's with NDMS tyres.
Thank you for sharing this. This helps a lot. And I absolutely agree with what you've mentioned. I too have taken the delivery of mine and for the 200 Kms that I've driven, found the response of the stock tyres to be perfectly fine.
sammysossa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 18:24   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Good one, Vid. Among your good and not good, how do you think your feedback will change with a 215 upsize?
Let's consider the implication of using a bigger tyre:
1) Higher weight: Will increase unsprung weight. So it will become more sluggish.
2) Higher radius: Will reduce the force delivered to the road surface due to higher radius. So it will become more sluggish. But is it very minor in case of 215, higher in case of 235.
3) Taller sidewall will make bodyroll even worse.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th June 2023 at 12:23. Reason: typo
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 18:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Let's the implication of using a bigger tyre:
1) Higher weight: Will increase unsprung weight. So it will become more sluggish.
2) Higher radius: Will reduce the force delivered to the road surface due to higher radius. So it will become more sluggish. But is it very minor in case of 215, higher in case of 235.
3) Taller sidewall will make bodyroll even worse.
Am I riight in assuming that, of these, upsizing to 215/75/15 may have negligible effects on 2 and 3 given that the change in radius will be 1.5% and change in side wall height will be about 3%?
Assuming an increase of weight per tyre to be 2.5 kgs, how much does a 10 kg increase in unsprung weight affect driveability and braking experience?

Last edited by cogWheel : 29th June 2023 at 18:45.
Old 29th June 2023, 18:50   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Assuming an increase of weight per tyre to be 2.5 kgs, how much does a 10 kg increase in unsprung weight affect driveability and braking experience?
Hard to comment on the extent of impact without actually driving such a modified Jimny. I haven't driven any Jimny so far.

Since many will be upgrading the tyres for looks, drive their vehicle and make up your mind.

Last edited by Samurai : 29th June 2023 at 18:51.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 22:00   #56
Team-BHP Support

What should be the PSI in front and rear for single occupant on the upgraded 215 size?
Old 29th June 2023, 22:56   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
What should be the PSI in front and rear for single occupant on the upgraded 215 size?
Start with stock 26/26 IIRC for single occupant, drive for a day or two to get a feel. Then + or - 1-2 PSI and find the sweet spot for your taste, look out for any undue flex of sidewall beyond 2 PSI while reducing. One size up this is the thumb rule I have followed (1-2 PSI).

And use a reliable place/gauge, and fill when the tyres are cold (run less than a km or two).

So how is the gaadi?
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 11:57   #58
Team-BHP Support

This video is perfect.

stock tyre weight - 9.6kgs
Yoko 215/75R15 -12.3Kgs
Yoko 235/75R15 - 16.35kgs

You add approx 12kgs unsprung weight total going for 215 but 40 kgs if you go to 235.

215 seems to be the sweet spot and looks like the Geolandar tyres are lighter weight vs Goodyear and BFG. Not sure how it compares to Conti.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 13:51   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
215 seems to be the sweet spot and looks like the Geolandar tyres are lighter weight vs Goodyear and BFG. Not sure how it compares to Conti.
And if you add some power upgrades, vehicle will be a performer rather than coming back to stock spec

195-205-215. People are forgetting that since the 205 profile is not to be seen, 215 is actually 2 step increase in width. And that is a lot when you mate it to an adequate engine combo.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 15:23   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
While discussing this today a friend mentioned that pressure is for H/T 80 section tire so I will try dropping to 28 as my sidewall has now reduced to 75.
Your sidewall has increased by moving from 195/80 to 215/75.

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-bb38ef2a5270405e8abd4d703ad9a1cd.jpg
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks