Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 03:05   #1
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

To those looking forward to a tyre upgrade but wondering how the tyre size of their choice will affect the dynamics of the vehicle, take a look at this list made specifically for the Jimny (or any vehicle with a stock tyre size of 195/80R15 for that matter). The list is only for 15inch tyres.

Do note that the 2nd column from the right (percentage of change from stock size) is what matters the most. While a 2% to 3% change is the maximum recommended by most vehicle and tyre manufacturers, the closer it stays to ZERO, the better it is. As the %age of change increases in the positive direction, acceleration & engine braking will proportionally degrade (the brake pads and brake shoes will also be under a bit more strain for long downhill slowdowns with a full load of people and/or cargo) while top speed and fuel efficiency will (theoretically) increase. Similarly, as the %age of change increases in the negative direction, the effects will be just the opposite. Oh, and then, needless to say, there is the issue of speedo & odo error.

Tyres wider than 215mm might require a rim change as well, so to get an idea about that, check out this website (which I felt is reasonably informative) https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/c...rim-size-chart

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-jimny-tyre-upgrade-options-15_inch.jpg  

Last edited by aravind422 : 31st May 2023 at 03:09. Reason: added a line.
aravind422 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 05:14   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Maruti Jimny Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
To those looking forward to a tyre upgrade but wondering how the tyre size of their choice will affect the dynamics of the vehicle, take a look at this list made specifically for the Jimny (or any vehicle with a stock tyre size of 195/80R15 for that matter). The list is only for 15inch tyres.

Cheers.
Well done and thank you for taking the trouble to share this.
It is absolutely prudent and sensible to pay attention to this aspect instead of getting carried away by the ‘look’ of all those monster sized tyres.

If you would be so kind as to do something similar for the Mahindra New Gen Thar, it may prove very useful indeed, considering the sheer numbers out there and the extreme propensity of many owners, to do big time tyre upgrades.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st May 2023 at 05:16.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 06:39   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Great work! Thanks for the effort.

Can you also add a column on "availability in the Indian market"? Many of these sizes are theoretical as they are neither made here nor imported

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st June 2023 at 17:53. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
carZest is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 19:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 21:50   #5
BHPian

Great compilation - will definitely be useful for prospective Jimmy buyers.

Quote:
While a 2% to 3% change is the maximum recommended by most vehicle and tyre manufacturers, the closer it stays to ZERO, the better it is.
Another factor to consider is whether the wider tyres will foul with the fender or bumpers on extreme right or left lock.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 10:50   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Can you also add a column on "availability in the Indian market"? Many of these sizes are theoretical as they are neither made here nor imported
The Jimny is a hotly anticipated model & owners of such cars are known to splurge on modifications (tyres are usually the first upgrade). Wait for the launch = you will see the most popular tyre upsizes freely available. As an example, for the Thar, the 285/60 R18 AT (a popular upsize) can be arranged at any tyre dealer in Bombay. What's more, you have two brand options, Maxxis & BF Goodrich.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 11:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

215/75-15 is the sweet spot for the upgrade.

However given the lower power this will further sap performance.

Anything more than 215 is counter intuitive as it will slow the car down and make it worse to drive.

Yokohama Geolandar A/T is available in that size.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd June 2023 at 08:58. Reason: Geolandar bro, Geolandar! :P
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 17:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Great work! Thanks for the effort.

Best to see which size appeals to you and check availability with your local dealers.

What is available can itself vary from time to time and place to place. Doesn’t seem to make sense to research this across the board. It’ll be dynamic info in any case.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 19:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
something similar for the Mahindra New Gen Thar
Hi.

Please view the attachment. I have included most of the tyre sizes that I feel might be of interest to people.

I am not sure whether all sizes mentioned are available (or even being manufactured at all). However, the list should be helpful to any person who already has one of the included sizes on their mind.

Happy to be useful,
cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Upgrades for 245_70_R16.pdf (634.3 KB, 325 views)
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 08:16   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Anything more than 215 is counter intuitive as it will slow the car down and make it worse to drive.
An extremely important point! With the limited BHP & Torque, it's best to maintain the Jimny's agility with a moderate tyre upsize. Nothing too fat.

Quote:
One of my favourite A/T tyres .

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd June 2023 at 08:58. Reason: Quoted post edited (Geolander > Geolandar)
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:35   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Also need to consider the rim width. If going with 215 section tyre, the rims also needs to be upgraded to wider ones
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 20:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
215/75-15 is the sweet spot for the upgrade.
The sweet spot without doubt, and very convenient as well for prospective Jimny owners, because this size is available with quite a few manufacturers in both HT & AT construction.

About the Yokohamas, I too use the Geolandar AT G015 (205/70R15) on my present vehicle. I have installed them on the rear axle of my 2008 Innova. The comfort levels are better than the stock bridgestones but a bit lower than the Michelin Energy XM2 that the Yoko's replaced. I have felt that grip on the tarmac is much better than the Bridgestones and significantly better than the Michelins. When on gravel roads, the (road biased) Michelins used to struggle and I wouldn't dare take them over rocky surfaces, but not anymore with the G015's. I am very much satisfied with these tyres on the dirt roads I occasionally traverse and also on highways.

However, in the past, I have used Goodyear Wrangler RT/S and later, Michelin LTX AT tyres on my Gypsy (bought 2nd hand in 1999, sold in 2007). The Wranglers were good but the grip levels and tread wear on LTX AT's were incredible. There would be much lesser wheel spin on gravel inclines, sometimes while reversing in 2WD (convenient in not having to slot it into 4Hi just to back up a bit and then having to slot back into 2WD). Unfortunately I couldn't find those tyres anymore. A newer LTX-AT2 version is available but I felt the G015 had more sidewall protection.

Continental has a new made in India model, called Conti 4X4 Contact. The tread pattern on these are actually highway oriented so with the Innova being a RWD vehicle, I got them installed in the front. Straight line braking is good, but unfortunately, ride comfort has taken a blow.

Attaching a couple of photos of the tyres I now have.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-g015-01.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-g015-02.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-conti-01.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-conti-02.jpg  

aravind422 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 20:47   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Also need to consider the rim width. If going with 215 section tyre, the rims also needs to be upgraded to wider ones
What's the OEM rim width? You might be ok with 215 on OEM rims.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 10:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What's the OEM rim width? You might be ok with 215 on OEM rims.
I do not know the OEM rim width. Usually, OEM rims support upto one upsize interms of width. Since OEM tyre spec is 195/80R15, I think upsize to 205 section would result in optimal use of the upsized tyre. 215 section, on stock rim width may result in rounding up the tyre thereby not benefitting from the additional 10mm width over 205.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:42   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I do not know the OEM rim width. Usually, OEM rims support upto one upsize interms of width. Since OEM tyre spec is 195/80R15, I think upsize to 205 section would result in optimal use of the upsized tyre. 215 section, on stock rim width may result in rounding up the tyre thereby not benefitting from the additional 10mm width over 205.
Just for everyone’s academic interest, the OEM Gypsy Tyre is a Nylon Cross Ply F78-15. The MSIL recommendation for Gypsy in Radial tyre has always been 205/70/15. These were a bit hard to get in the 1980’s and 1990’s and even the early 2000’s, hence many of us Gypsy owners went for radials in 215/75/15. These worked. Yes. But the edge of the larger radial tyre was always dangerously close to the sharp under-bumper-edge in the front in the stock Gypsy. So some amount of light grinding had to be done. Or a complete bumper swap to an off road type.

Going by the above, I would probably go and check which size is best for the new Jimny. While 215 AT seems highly desirable, 205 AT is what looks and sounds sensible. But better to check in person when the physical vehicle is present.

Here are pictures of the Jimny I saw in 2018 in Dubai.it had 215’s on. But it also had Ironman suspension and might have been lightly lifted too.

The stock Indian Jimny comes with 195’s and a high sidewall as can be seen here too. This makes for excellent ride comfort. For this reason alone, the best upgrade as per me, would be 205’s with a similarly high sidewall. The only reason I would even consider an upgrade is to get a set of nice AT tyres on, instead of the OEM road biased HT tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0007.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0025.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9493.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9494.jpeg  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_9495.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks