Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2023, 16:43   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0396.jpeg
Continental CrossContact AT with 215 width at 28psi of Nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Your sidewall has increased by moving from 195/80 to 215/75.

Attachment 2470403
You are correct, this is my boo boo moment. But honestly after dropping the pressure down to 28 the car's ride has gone from excellent to sublime. I do not see the need to go any lower unless it's not being driven on tarmac. I will indeed try some different pressures and report my findings on the thread. Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Sure but I think it will be difficult to find the difference so easily as both are very good. Yoko's have a soft sidewall or used to have, I have seen sidewalls getting damaged. But I think, Yoko has unconditional warranty on these tyres ( made locally)
Moving our tire discussion to this thread, I was told the Yokohama Geolander AT have a much tougher sidewall and wear characteristics compared to the Continental CrossContact AT. That's honestly my primary curiosoty since I did prefer the looks for the Geolander, especially the ones with white lettering on the sidewall. Unfortunately that only comes with the 235 width so it was out of the question for me.

Have been offered the same warranty on the Continental tires and it does give peace of mind since this car doesn't have the tire insurance like other cars I own.

What is the final tire pressure you went with? Also suggest this route to test out the suspension, the road is horrible. I was able to go decent speeds and the car just floats over the bad bits, feels incredible.
quickdraw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 20:04   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Attachment 2470416
Continental CrossContact AT with 215 width at 28psi of Nitrogen

You are correct, this is my boo boo moment. But honestly after dropping the pressure down to 28 the car's ride has gone from excellent to sublime. I do not see the need to go any lower unless it's not being driven on tarmac. I will indeed try some different pressures and report my findings on the thread. Thanks for pointing this out.

Moving our tire discussion to this thread, I was told the Yokohama Geolander AT have a much tougher sidewall and wear characteristics compared to the Continental CrossContact AT. That's honestly my primary curiosoty since I did prefer the looks for the Geolander, especially the ones with white lettering on the sidewall. Unfortunately that only comes with the 235 width so it was out of the question for me.

Have been offered the same warranty on the Continental tires and it does give peace of mind since this car doesn't have the tire insurance like other cars I own.

What is the final tire pressure you went with? Also suggest this route to test out the suspension, the road is horrible. I was able to go decent speeds and the car just floats over the bad bits, feels incredible.

This one is CrossContact AT and I think you were also looking to get AX6. Any idea what should be the right cost for AT or AX6 in 235/75R15 size?
Old 3rd July 2023, 20:51   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
... Any idea what should be the right cost for AT or AX6 in 235/75R15 size?
At my town (Mangaluru) both ContiCross AT and AX6 are being quoted at Rs.8200 a piece for size 215/75/15.
cogWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 09:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
This one is CrossContact AT and I think you were also looking to get AX6. Any idea what should be the right cost for AT or AX6 in 235/75R15 size?
I couldn’t get the AX6 in 215 width. Hence went for the AT. Happy with the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
At my town (Mangaluru) both ContiCross AT and AX6 are being quoted at Rs.8200 a piece for size 215/75/15.
Are you sure it’s AX6 as 215 wasn’t available when I checked. AT can be had for ~7500 a pop for 215.
quickdraw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 10:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

May I ask why you did not consider Goodyear Silentrac in 215 if you were looking at the AX6? Both are similar usage which is 70/30 on road/off road, with closed shoulder design for lower noise.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 18:34   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Are you sure it’s AX6 as 215 wasn’t available when I checked. AT can be had for ~7500 a pop for 215.
Actually I have'nt availablity of the tyres yet, I just asked for pricing. Those of in the South have lots of time before we get our cars!
Old 5th July 2023, 23:34   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quick update: Over 1000km clocked and super happy with tires. Have been water wading, slush and mud, off road and then some on these tires. Some observations:

28psi is too low for full load. Don’t go below 30 with 4pax.

Tires get small stones lodged between the tread that gets annoying on Tarmac. Got into habit of removing them.

Changed the spare wheel to the same CrossContact AT. Surprised to have been told it’s an alloy (yet to see myself behind the cover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
May I ask why you did not consider Goodyear Silentrac in 215 if you were looking at the AX6? Both are similar usage which is 70/30 on road/off road, with closed shoulder design for lower noise.
I’ve had bad experience with Goodyear brand previously so didn’t consider it. In fact all my cars have Michelins and the only reason I didn’t go for Michelin was there was nothing available in the size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogWheel View Post
Actually I have'nt availablity of the tyres yet, I just asked for pricing. Those of in the South have lots of time before we get our cars!
Availability should improve over time. Hopefully deliveries should pick up now and Maruti has the capabilities to fill up the backlog quickly. I’m sure it’s going to be worth it once you have the car.

Last edited by quickdraw : 5th July 2023 at 23:37.
Old 14th July 2023, 19:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

Why are we not considering 225/70 R15 size? It is the perfect upgrade in terms of overall diameter and does not upset the speedometer or the AT gearbox. No impact on pickup either.

Apollo Apterra AT2 is available in 225/70 R15 and I have them on my Jimny. The extra width adds rock solid stability and straight line traction and it does not foul with any body or suspension parts even under full load and articulation.

215/75 is a taller tyre and there have been reports of it fouling under severe articulation and load, plus it results in a speedometer error and also the AT gearbox shifting point gets upset since the tyre is larger diameter.

See the screenshots attached comparing the two sizes with stock tyre size.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20230714-19_02_31tire-size-comparison-1-more-page-personal-microsoft8203-edge.png  

Maruti Suzuki Jimny : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20230714-19_02_46tire-size-comparison-1-more-page-personal-microsoft8203-edge.png  

Traveler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 21:40   #69

Hi looking for a wheel upgrade to 16" . Please help with any leads if possible . Thank you.
Old 9th August 2023, 22:28   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Why are we not considering 225/70 R15 size? It is the perfect upgrade in terms of overall diameter and does not upset the speedometer or the AT gearbox. No impact on pickup either.

Apollo Apterra AT2 is available in 225/70 R15 and I have them on my Jimny. The extra width adds rock solid stability and straight line traction and it does not foul with any body or suspension parts even under full load and articulation.
That’s my favourite tyre that I currently use on my Gypsy. But the minimum recommended ETRTO rim size for a 225/70 tyre profile is 6J while the Jimny is 5.5J. I wouldn’t mind that except for the fear of denial of Insurance in case of accident by a shrewd Insurance company and losing my precious hard earned money because of it.
It is also available in 215/75 since a few months now but hard to get. I am now looking at the CCAX6 now for the Jimny but I am not getting a good exchange price for the factory OEM tyres in Bangalore.

Last edited by Ragul : 9th August 2023 at 22:30.
Old 10th August 2023, 19:26   #71
BANNED

Guys,
Please post the buy-back price that you are getting for the Jimny tyres in your city. I am finding it hard to get a decent quote from any dealer. 2000-2500 per tyre is the best I am getting…
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 11:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys,
Please post the buy-back price that you are getting for the Jimny tyres in your city. I am finding it hard to get a decent quote from any dealer. 2000-2500 per tyre is the best I am getting…
I got 4500 max in Delhi and 6000 in Manesar.
mathur2012 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 12:33   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathur2012 View Post
I got 4500 max in Delhi and 6000 in Manesar.
May be a silly question. Are those numbers per tyre? If so can you share the details of these outlets.
Old 27th August 2023, 18:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
May be a silly question. Are those numbers per tyre? If so can you share the details of these outlets.
Yes that's per tyre price. Here is the contact detail of the person who bought the stock tyres for 6k each. Mr Sanjay 9810456760, His shop is located in Manesar, I swapped my stock tyres with Goodyear Silenttrac ATs at 6500 ie for just 2500 all 5 tyres were upgraded.
Old 5th September 2023, 20:58   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
An LT tire is basically a reinforced tire with an extra steel belt, thicker, stiffer sidewalls, and a deeper tread. They are meant to perform better while hauling, working, and driving on non-paved roads.

LT tires are available in a variety of ply levels that are typically Load Range C (6 ply), D (8 ply), or E (10 ply). Construction of a LT tire is more robust compared to a passenger (P-metric) tire and will mostly be in a B (4-ply).

Here are the detailed specs of the Yokohama Geolandar LT215/75R15. As you will notice that this tire is rated at the C load range which is perfect for a vehicle meant for mixed duty (on/off pavement) usage.

I have been using this exact tire on my 2016 Gypsy King (HT) which is almost 200kgs lighter than the Jimny without any issues.

Attachment 2467051

Source: Tirerack website
Guys upgrading Jimny tyres pls pls don't get tempted by the white lettering of the LT tyre. The LT tyre is heavy duty and very stiff and 2kgs heavier than the non LT Passenger car tyre.

Yokohama Geolander AT G015 LT - 14 odd kgs
Yokohama Geolander AT G015 PC - 12 odd kgs

But stiffer sidewall, stiffer tread blocks. Its fine for offroad heavy duty but will kill the on road behaviour and magic carpet ride.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks