Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2011, 12:10   #406

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
How can you compare the SX4 with the Civic? It makes no sense! they are two completely different cars!
Hi Nikhilb2008, I am just comparing the advice on tyre bible site, which says you should go beyond a profile of 205/55 on 16" rims, with the OEM wheels of SX4 which are a rofile of 205/60 on 16" rims. Whether Civic can accomodate 205/60 R16 without problems is my primary question.
Old 24th November 2011, 12:52   #407
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun-t View Post
Hi Nikhilb2008, I am just comparing the advice on tyre bible site, which says you should go beyond a profile of 205/55 on 16" rims, with the OEM wheels of SX4 which are a rofile of 205/60 on 16" rims. Whether Civic can accomodate 205/60 R16 without problems is my primary question.
Sir,

If I may,

The SX4 is a sedan sold by Maruti, in India. But elsewhere, in other European markets, the Suzuki SX4 is a mini-soft-road hatchback. It is also re-badged as the Fiat Cedici in some other markets. It comes with 4WD, and a raised suspension and tweaked chassis that is designed to tackle rough roads and light terrain. As you probably know, cars that are designed for such purposes are generally designed to be driven on larger wheels and higher profile tyres.

The Civic, on the other hand, is designed to be a city car, and not tackle rough roads. The suspension/chassis is not designed for such conditions and therefore, do not require larger wheels with higher-profile tyres.

Now if you try installing larger wheels with even larger profile-tyres on a car that is not meant for it, it will inevitably foul with the suspension that is not designed to be fitted with that wheel-tyre combo. And eventually,your suspension will wear out, and the disproportionately sized wheel/tyre will,in all probability, affect other components too.

Now, I'm no mechanic. But I do know that what is NOT recommended, especially by a tyre-expert, must be adhered to.

My suggestions for your problem:

- Get adjustable shocks from Koni.They will be expensive, but the ride will get much better and the car will not bottom-out over speed-breakers.

- Go for a more comfort-oriented tyre. It should help.

- Go back to the original stock set of wheels/tyres, and rotate them with your 16"-set after a while.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th November 2011 at 12:54.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:04   #408
BHPian

I have now more or less made up my mind on the 205-65 R15 and most probably decided on the PLC. One thing if the experts could guide me on, the increased gc of 6mm, would it not lead to raising the cg too? Would that cause any negative impact on the Civic's handling?
Old 10th December 2011, 17:12   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely right! However, it will be marginal. You probably wont notice the increased body roll unless you are on a track or cornering like the Stig everyday!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 23:54   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely right! However, it will be marginal. You probably wont notice the increased body roll unless you are on a track or cornering like the Stig everyday!
Thanks Nikhil, Sorry to bother you again.

Just wanted to be quite sure before I make that final decision. Am a bit concerned due to the soft side walls of the PLCs. Would that hamper cornering at high speeds? I mean on the highways and especially given the fact that some around Mumbai are not in a very good shape. Or should I go for something in between which might be marginally less in comfort but instill confidence in driving? How about the CPC2s? Also if you could suggest on the price factor between these two?
Old 24th December 2011, 11:13   #411
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarooppatil View Post
Thanks Nikhil, Sorry to bother you again.

Just wanted to be quite sure before I make that final decision. Am a bit concerned due to the soft side walls of the PLCs. Would that hamper cornering at high speeds? I mean on the highways and especially given the fact that some around Mumbai are not in a very good shape. Or should I go for something in between which might be marginally less in comfort but instill confidence in driving? How about the CPC2s? Also if you could suggest on the price factor between these two?

Dont worry about the cornering. You will need to worry about the roads. Just be careful when driving on bad roads, and you will be fine.

CPC2s are not that great. Dont bother with those. They are harder, but offer lesser grip. Ride comfort isnt that great either.
Old 28th December 2011, 16:46   #412
Senior - BHPian

Re: Everything about Wheel Alignment: Post your queries here

Hi Nikhil,

Please advice:

I want to change/upgrade the tyres on my Civic, currently am running on Michelin MXV8 195/65/15 which came with my car.

I would like to upgrade to 205/65/15

1) Is the above upsize fine? No fouling with the wheelarch under load etc.
2) Which manufacturer should I go for - Michelin Primacy LC, Yokohama AVS db V550 or what do you suggest?

My priorities are a mix of comfort and handling in the wet/dry. I definitely do not want the ride/comfort to become harsh.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:17   #413
BHPian

I upgraded my 2007 Civic to Yokohama C Drive 205/65 R 15. Car feels much better planted and firmer grip.

Got it done at Madhu's in Bangalore.

@Nikhil.... Thanks for your advice many many months back :-) Finally got it done.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:40   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hi Nikhil,

Please advice:

I want to change/upgrade the tyres on my Civic, currently am running on Michelin MXV8 195/65/15 which came with my car.

2) Which manufacturer should I go for - Michelin Primacy LC, Yokohama AVS db V550 or what do you suggest?

My priorities are a mix of comfort and handling in the wet/dry. I definitely do not want the ride/comfort to become harsh.

Thanks in advance!
We have been using the 205/65-15 CPC2 for about 1.5 years now. It has never fouled with the wheel arches. I have driven this car with these tyres on full load. 6 people (yes, 6!) and luggage and it has never fouled with the wheel arch. Ground clearance is definitely better. Easier to drive over speedbumps.

You can go for the Primacy LC or the Yoko C drive. Currently the best for this car and in this size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I upgraded my 2007 Civic to Yokohama C Drive 205/65 R 15. Car feels much better planted and firmer grip.

Got it done at Madhu's in Bangalore.

@Nikhil.... Thanks for your advice many many months back :-) Finally got it done.
You're welcome! You should have contacted me before coming!
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:52   #415
BHPian

Quote:
You're welcome! You should have contacted me before coming!
Thanks Nikhil. Actually, I had come for the alignment and balancing as usual. Did not have the spend on the mind as the car had done just 24k. However, I did not like the looks of the tyres when removed (they had very little tread left) and hence took the decision on the spot. Ravi arranged the tyres and they delivered pronto from the Lalbagh road godown in half hour. So could not message you earlier. Sorry.

Nevertheless.. As I mentioned earlier sometime in this thread, I have been going to Madhu's for close to two decades now for all my cars (current and past ones) and have always found the service to be the best.

Also, knowing that you are not around these days due to your studies, decided not to bother you.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:36   #416
BHPian

Quote:
You can go for the Primacy LC or the Yoko C drive. Currently the best for this car and in this size.
Hi Nikhil

Which of these would be better? The prices quoted here in Mumbai are 6525 for the PLCs and 5590 for the Yoko C-drives. Do they seem right?

Thanks
Swaroop
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:52   #417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Am a bit concerned due to the soft side walls of the PLCs. Would that hamper cornering at high speeds? I mean on the highways and especially given the fact that some around Mumbai are not in a very good shape. Or should I go for something in between which might be marginally less in comfort but instill confidence in driving? How about the CPC2s? Also if you could suggest on the price factor between these two?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Hi Nikhil,

Please advice:

Thanks in advance!
I have been driving on 205/65 R15 Michelin PLCs for about an year and 15k kms now and it has been a great experience so far. They never fouled with the wheel arches even at full load. I have driven the car on pretty rough roads as well and it never had even a flat tyre. It is quite comfortable, silent and has decent amounts of grip in both wet and dry conditions. I paid 5400 for them a year back.
vasoo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:32   #418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I have been driving on 205/65 R15 Michelin PLCs for about an year and 15k kms now and it has been a great experience so far. They never fouled with the wheel arches even at full load. I have driven the car on pretty rough roads as well and it never had even a flat tyre. It is quite comfortable, silent and has decent amounts of grip in both wet and dry conditions. I paid 5400 for them a year back.
Hi Vasoo

Since you are already using them since long, just wanted to confirm how they fare during cornering. I am not expecting too much just whether the PLCs 205/65 R15 be similar or better in terms of grip levels during cornering as against 195/65 R15 Goodyear NCTs that came as stock.
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:25   #419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nikhil

Which of these would be better? The prices quoted here in Mumbai are 6525 for the PLCs and 5590 for the Yoko C-drives. Do they seem right?

Thanks
Swaroop
The prices seem right. I would suggest if money is not a problem, go for the PLC. Otherwise, the C drive is a very good VFM tyre.
Old 3rd January 2012, 10:00   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Vasoo

Since you are already using them since long, just wanted to confirm how they fare during cornering. I am not expecting too much just whether the PLCs 205/65 R15 be similar or better in terms of grip levels during cornering as against 195/65 R15 Goodyear NCTs that came as stock.
In any case, aggressive cornering is not the forte of Civic given its soft suspension setup. Having a soft tyre with more rubber is not going to maker it any better either. I normally keep 32-34psi pressure, which is good enough for most types of driving. I too had NCT5 as OEM and I could not bear its tyre noise, poor grip on dry surface and tendency to engage ABS at even the slightest braking. PLC is definitely much better in these issues. I might not have changed the tyres if my car came with Michelin or even Bridgestone as OEM. Going to 205/60 profile would have been suicidal in Bangalore roads given the lower ride height.

Last edited by vasoo : 3rd January 2012 at 10:03.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks