Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2011, 09:37   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Guys! for a change I am using Good year Excellence. 15K done on it, I am happy with the performance. I got 5 of them last year for 19K.

Good Year is not that bad for me
Whats the size of the tyres stock or upsized?
Old 9th August 2011, 10:26   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Whats the size of the tyres stock or upsized?
Stock size. Did not feel like upsizing, I'm comfortable with the stock size.
Old 9th August 2011, 22:42   #363
Senior - BHPian

I have more or less decided to go upsize on the tyres 205 65 R 15 and will probably will be going for the BS ER60. Was quoted a hole in the wallet kind of price @ 6100 per piece at one the BS authorised outlet (atleast i think it is ,Hi-tech tyres Powai).

As of now they do not have the same in stock and said they will getting them in a day or two.I had even mailed BS on their support email id posted on their website and they too said that they do not have tyres in stock but will be getting them in a couple of days from their factory outlet.

If the above tyre size is not available i might stick to the stock size and go for the not so fancy BS B250.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 9th August 2011 at 22:43.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 01:19   #364
BHPian

@sumeet

the size you have selected is wrong one correct is 205/55 R15 its mentioned in manual to for the recommended upsize.

6,1k for BS?

its way high try saifee tires at Santacruz W its listed in the Team-Bhp Directory

I would still suggest you to go for yoko or Michellin or BS ER60 in stock size.
Old 10th August 2011, 01:30   #365
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to go for Michelin PLC 205/65 15 size. I am using it for more than a year now and it has been performing great. Paid 5.4k per tyre last July. It is an upsize but within the acceptable limit of 2% increase in odo and speedo numbers.
Old 10th August 2011, 09:29   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@sumeet

the size you have selected is wrong one correct is 205/55 R15 its mentioned in manual to for the recommended upsize.

6,1k for BS?

its way high try saifee tires at Santacruz W its listed in the Team-Bhp Directory

I would still suggest you to go for yoko or Michellin or BS ER60 in stock size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
I would suggest you to go for Michelin PLC 205/65 15 size. I am using it for more than a year now and it has been performing great. Paid 5.4k per tyre last July. It is an upsize but within the acceptable limit of 2% increase in odo and speedo numbers.
Jatin as per previous posts on this very thread 206 65 R15 seems ok for the Civic (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...t1545951).Also as per BS web site the size is suitable for the Civic.Also i haven't decided to buy from the place which quoted 6100 per piece i will most probably look elsewhere first (milan subway is very much close to my home and i have plenty of options.)

Vasoo i don't want any tyre which would have a soft sidewall.I have read on T-bhp Mich tyres have a softer sidewall and given the condition of out roads i would rather have a tyre with a hard compound.If the Mich can take fair amount of abuse on bad roads then i can consider the same.
Old 10th August 2011, 12:11   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Wrong.
Or did you mean 205/55/R16 ?
If you meant 205/55 R15 then there will be a diameter difference of 4.45%.
"When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter/height of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure. "
source www.1010tires.com

Please check the below attachment for tyre size comparision.(stock 195/65/R15)
Stock , 205/55 R15 , 205/55 R16
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-upgrade.jpg

Ideal upgrade in 15"
Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-ideal.jpg

My tyre upsize is 205/60/R15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar
I have more or less decided to go upsize on the tyres 205 65 R 15
With the stock alloys/rims If you want a slight increase in ground clearence then go with 205/65/R15 (slight speedo difference, but that's OK)
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2011, 15:27   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jatin as per previous posts on this very thread 206 65 R15 seems ok for the Civic (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-alloy-wheel-section/26758-civic-shoes-upgrade-14.html#post1545951).Also as per BS web site the size is suitable for the Civic.Also i haven't decided to buy from the place which quoted 6100 per piece i will most probably look elsewhere first (milan subway is very much close to my home and i have plenty of options.)

Vasoo i don't want any tyre which would have a soft sidewall.I have read on T-bhp Mich tyres have a softer sidewall and given the condition of out roads i would rather have a tyre with a hard compound.If the Mich can take fair amount of abuse on bad roads then i can consider the same.
My tyres has been abused very badly on various surfaces with full load in the car and it has never even got punctured so far. There is also another owner here who has used these tyres for more than 40k kms without any issues. Biggest advantage of PLCs is its silent and silky smooth ride while providing excellent grip on wet surfaces and high FE. A hard compound tyre may have issues in all these.

Btw, 205/65 is perfectly ok for Civic and it even provides about 5mm increase in ride height which is a good thing for that car.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 23:38   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Forget the G3s. They are old tyres that offer decent grip but loads of noise and bad comfort. Going by what you want check out the Bridgestone Turanza or the Yoko C-Drive.
I still confused about which tyre to go for but am quite sure about the size (205 65 R 15).Will the the Yokohama C drive give me any issues related to sidewall failure or in general any issue when driven over bad roads.

I am having trouble sourcing the BS ER60.

thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 01:22   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I still confused about which tyre to go for but am quite sure about the size (205 65 R 15).Will the the Yokohama C drive give me any issues related to sidewall failure or in general any issue when driven over bad roads.

I am having trouble sourcing the BS ER60.

thanks
Nope C-drives are pretty good. I have them on my Punto and Innova and I have been driving them pretty roughly over Mumbai's terrible roads, havent had any issues yet. Get C-Drives they will not disappoint.
Old 13th August 2011, 11:54   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Nope C-drives are pretty good. I have them on my Punto and Innova and I have been driving them pretty roughly over Mumbai's terrible roads, havent had any issues yet. Get C-Drives they will not disappoint.

How many kms have you clocked on your tyres.Also will they last like 30K or atleast 4 years or would wear out fast.How about the michelin Xm1+ are these any good ?

thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 12:01   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How many kms have you clocked on your tyres.Also will they last like 30K or atleast 4 years or would wear out fast.How about the michelin Xm1+ are these any good ?

thanks
These are a full level above the xm1. I've clocked about 10k on my Punto, and almost 50k on the Innova. They last pretty well.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 00:26   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

thanks
My 2 cents of experience on the tires attached. I have used both Xm1 and C.drive in the same car (Baleno) and have additionally used C.Drive in the Innova.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2394866

Note that the Xm1 sidewall is better while C.drive has the better grip in the wet. Overall construction, michelin is better but the C.Drive has better handling.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2011, 13:56   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Stock size. Did not feel like upsizing, I'm comfortable with the stock size.
hello laluks,

it seems you have clocked plenty of miles on the civic with stock sized tyres.Can you elaborate the strategy you use to prevent the car from scraping over bumps etc.

I am reconsidering my decision to upsize as the tyres that i want (BS ER 60) are not available.I am really not comfortable with Yoko's and Mich due to the side wall being on the soft side as i don't think i want to baby those tyres.

I am not saying i want to drive fast over rough roads it's just that i don't want to worry about the sidewall etc when driving even slowly over bad roads.

thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 20:04   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hello laluks,

it seems you have clocked plenty of miles on the civic with stock sized tyres.Can you elaborate the strategy you use to prevent the car from scraping over bumps etc.

I am reconsidering my decision to upsize as the tyres that i want (BS ER 60) are not available.I am really not comfortable with Yoko's and Mich due to the side wall being on the soft side as i don't think i want to baby those tyres.

I am not saying i want to drive fast over rough roads it's just that i don't want to worry about the sidewall etc when driving even slowly over bad roads.

thanks
Soft sidewalls dont mean you have to "Baby" these tires. My michelins lasted 44k kms (with about 10 k more life left when I changed) and did all kinds of trips - Hyderabad - Mumbai, Hyderabad-Kolkata, Hyderabad-Bangalore, Hyderabad-Coorg, Hyderabad-Hampi, Hyderabad-Gadag-Ankola-Gokarna-Goa-Mumbai etc etc.

The C.Drive in the Innova over 29k kms has done duty on Hyderabad-Bangalore, Hyderabad-Kanyakumari-Trivendrum-Thekkady, Hyderabad-Wayanad-Kozhikode, Hyderabad-Hampi etc.

As you can see, all the tires have done a mix of Highways, State Highways and normal single lane roads.

I dont "Baby" them but just am bit careful in getting back to the road from the shoulder and dont put them on sideways. But then again, I have done that unconciously many times when getting two wheels down the shoulder to give space to buses and scorpios

Some more posts that might help you make a decision

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2225047

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks