Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 18:04   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
The tyre profile is available in YOKOHAMA & Michelin too.
But both these tyres are way too soft.

I agree, they are good tyres in every other sense except when braking at wet surface.
I would say very bad braking in wet when compared with Michelin.
Positives - No noise (silica based) at all. Good at dry braking. No drop in F.E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I am going to disagree with you on both of the above points as far as the Yokohama AVS dB 550 tires are concerned.

I find the AVS dB 550 to be the best tire available in the current times.
Usually silica based tyres are known to be soft.
Letz leave the tyres being soft aside.

Speaking abt the WET Braking ...
Check out the reviews on the Yokohama AVS 550 Db tyres on CIVIC in the below posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Dont talk about tyres man, every time I read about them, I get further confused..Looks like the S-Drves despite being loud and delicate are till good when it comes to handling both dry and wet conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
please be very very careful with A drives in wet as they dont grip at all. Learnt it a very very hard way. Lost my OHC and my life too almost.

From that day onwards I dont recommend the A drives to anyone.
Even normal JK or MRF dont aquaplane as the A drive does.

They simply dont give the confidence and grip in wet to push the car even a little bit. A small puddle of water on a flat road results in aquaplaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
A Drives are very much VFM tyres in their price bracket! Just that the wet grip is low and they aquaplane too much!
Quote:
They are not that bad in DRY conditions ... but bad in WET. There is no Grip at all in WET conditions.
For the Next tyre change I will definetely go with either CPC2 or Michelin.
See my review here too.

Last edited by sushrutha : 5th August 2011 at 18:05.
Old 5th August 2011, 18:29   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree, they are good tyres in every other sense except when braking at wet surface.
Positives - No noise (silica based) at all. Good at dry braking. No drop in F.E.
Quote:

Check out the reviews on the Yokohama AVS 550 Db tyres on CIVIC in the below posts.
That means the 550 Db too are out for me...Thanks for an unbiased opinion..So its again back to S-Drives..
Old 5th August 2011, 18:56   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hold on, aren't A-drives different from the AVS dBs?

It's possible that the AVS dBs are based on the A-drives, but if I remember correctly, many - not all, of course - of those comments were for the A-drives in particular.

Regards,
spadix
Old 5th August 2011, 19:25   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Your post above is very disappointing to say the least.

While you have taken the time to compile the various quotes including your own just to negate a very valid observation based on more than 16000 kms of driving experience, you have no idea about the product being discussed.

It is you who needs to read the reviews again and then maybe you might be able to catch on that these reviews are for the 'A' drives and not the AVSdB which is a completely different offering from Yokohama.

In the future before you rush head first just to get the thrills of being one up do remember this forum is read by a lot of people for whom posts here a source of information on which they base their purchasing decisions and incorrect & misleading information could not only hurt them but eventually lead to loss of credibility for the forum itself. Do educate yourself before posting.

Now before you jump in to refute this do look at the effect it has had on a seasoned tbhpian like g_c who has based on your post has also confused the AVS with the A drives, what to talk of newbies and guests visiting the forum in their thousands.

PS : Thank you spadix for contributing proactively towards maintaining the standards of the forum

Last edited by khoj : 5th August 2011 at 19:26.
Old 5th August 2011, 19:53   #350
Senior - BHPian

Some details on Yokohama tires and their positioning. It contains dB but not the 550 though.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2016906 please click on the attached image and it will open up in a bigger size for easier reading.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 5th August 2011 at 20:00.
Old 5th August 2011, 19:55   #351
Senior - BHPian

16000kms run AVS dB V550 on my car too. Absolutely no issues. I'm used to 50k+ of Eagle F1s (GSD2, GSD3) on my other car and have never felt any less confident with the Yokos.

Also note that the dB V550 is different to db ES501. The 501 is apparently not good in the wet. Not that I drive aggressively in the wet. But 80-100km straight line speeds feel quite confident in pouring rain.

A year back 205/60/15s were for Rs 5150. If prices haven't increased, that's lesser than the C-drives.

My only grouse with these tyres happened when I switched the front and rears on each side after a bad puncture. Suddenly I could hear a rhythmic droning noise from the fronts, as if there was a flat spot somewhere. Possibly not a tyre manufacturing fault - but some issue through usage which I'm unable to detect. Could not detect anything visually. Switched the tyres back and all is well now!

Last edited by shuvc : 5th August 2011 at 19:59.
Old 6th August 2011, 02:10   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is you who needs to read the reviews again and then maybe you might be able to catch on that these reviews are for the 'A' drives and not the AVSdB which is a completely different offering from Yokohama.

Now before you jump in to refute this do look at the effect it has had on a seasoned tbhpian like g_c who has based on your post has also confused the AVS with the A drives, what to talk of newbies and guests visiting the forum in their thousands.
Two things here Khoj Sir, First, i take that Sushrutha have db 550s on his ride and not A-Drives, which are known for being bad in wet..if its a-drives, then its my bad..

Now, I know that AVS db 550s will be good in wet when compared to good years (NCTs), Bridgestones (ER60, ER300 or even G3) or even the Michelins. I have gone through your review and Shuv sir's review and I appreciate the effort.

Second, why I straight away said no to AVS db 550s after Shushrutha's reviews is that after having read all reviews here on team bhp, I was aware that the 550s are good in dry conditions and only thing I wanted to know that if they are similar in wet too. Things I have done on my S-Drives are best not discussed here but I can vouch for their performance. And this is when I was the first one to write about the noisy and delicate nature of s-drives.. Now, I really dont want to get new tyres which doesnt suit my driving style, I have a heavy foot and I like very few tyres. I believe that most tyres can take 80ish easily in wet but what I am talking here is excellent grip levels even in wet. Although I am very cautious driving during rains, I believe a driver should know what his car and tyres can take.

If I am to buy tyres that compromise on performance either in dry or wet, I will get a set of normal Kumhos, the experience on cousin's lancer has been astonishing..

And yes, I missed the A-Drives posts Sushrutha posted under his comments (reading from mobile can be troublesome sometimes), but I agree with you that A-Drives are not to be confused with AVS db, its like comparing apples to oranges.. I only read his quotes about avs dbs and thats the reason I quoted them again..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th August 2011 at 02:37.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 13:28   #353
Senior - BHPian

Hi g_c, Thanks for your above post.
I have no issues at all whether someone wants to buy AVSdB or not. The only point I wanted to make was that when posting we should have a clear idea about what is being discussed. Once that is understood then all sort of comments and views are welcome for a given product whether positive or negative, after all that is the essence of the forum.
Ciao
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 13:37   #354
BHPian

AVSdb series and A drives are two different tires altogether comparing both is not right.

A drives are terrible in wet but that does not apply to AVSdb.

So comparing them is not a viable thing to do.
Old 8th August 2011, 12:00   #355
Senior - BHPian

Buddy,
It's been more than 10K kms(on AVS) Which I have run on Yokohama AVS tyres on my civic(205/60 R15).
I have used Yokohama A drive(185/70 R13) before on my OHC.
I'm not happy with the tyres when braking in WET(both AVS & A drive when braking at 80kmph on wet). Rest all I'm happy with the tyres. Might be I'm plain unlucky with AVS when others are happy with their AVS tyres in WET braking.
If you see my post, I have clearly mentioend when compared with Michelin tyres.( I have extensively used Michelin's in my OHC).
Quote:
But both these tyres are way too soft.

Based on my experience of the tyres I have given my opinion.
That doesn't mean that I shouldn't share my experience of AVS being "NOT GOOD " based on my experience in wet when others also have faced the same with A drives. I know both are different league of tyres, but my overall feedback was on YOKOHAMA. Kindly excuse me if I have confused you all.
I do understand that this forum is being read by many AUTO ENTUSIASTS & based on our feedback they take a call.
KHOJ, I honestly respect your feedback on the tyres and your valuable posts in the forum..
But the below statements were unnecessary and uncalled for.

Quote:
In the future before you rush head first just to get the thrills of being one up .
Now before you jump in to refute
I don't persoanlly gain anything by showing off in the FORUM.
Thanks for reading.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 13:34   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy,
!! are you sure?

Quote:
It's been more than 10K kms(on AVS) Which I have run on Yokohama AVS tyres on my civic(205/60 R15).
I'm not happy with the tyres when braking in WET(both AVS & A drive when braking at 80kmph on wet). Rest all I'm happy with the tyres. Might be I'm plain unlucky with AVS when others are happy with their AVS tyres in WET braking.
If you see my post, I have clearly mentioend when compared with Michelin tyres.( I have extensively used Michelin's in my OHC).
I would not have suggested this but since I have the benefit of experiencing both the Michelin and the Yoko in my own cars on a daily basis, have the brakes of the Civic looked into. It just might make a difference to your AVS experience.

As you would have read in my reply to g_c, all sorts of views whether positive or negative are welcome.
Quote:
Based on my experience of the tyres I have given my opinion.
That doesn't mean that I shouldn't share my experience of AVS being "NOT GOOD " based on my experience in wet when others also have faced the same with A drives. I know both are different league of tyres, but my overall feedback was on YOKOHAMA. Kindly excuse me if I have confused you all.
I do understand that this forum is being read by many AUTO ENTUSIASTS & based on our feedback they take a call.
What was not fair was the ease with which the A drives and AVS were bracketed together and the manufacturer brushed under the carpet.

A given manufacturer cannot always give great products. To illustrate

My Zen circa 1996 stolen in 2011
Bridgestone RE 66 or RE 88 (too long ago can't recall exact model) Excellent tires. Would grip like leeches and very silent
Bridgestone Donuts Absolutely crappy
Michelin XM1 when stolen, great tires for intra city driving

OHC circa 1998 sold in 2008
Bridgestone R or S 322 decent grip, horribly noisy
Goodyear NCT Eagle good grip but very noisy
MRF zvts No punctures ever on any sort of surface but no grip either
Michelin Certis Horrible tires
Michelin Pilot Sport?? or something but definitely from the Pilot series Excellent tires. Buyer staying in Lonavala is still running the car on same tires.

NHC circa 2006 crappy car sold in 2006

Aveo circa 2006
Michelin XM1(2009) tires unsuitable for then upcoming road netwok in greater NOIDA, Manesar area, many punctures. Shoulder cuts forced them into retirement.
Michelin XM1+ (2010) excellent tires again all sorts of terrain

Swift vxi 2006 JK Tornado Absolute garbage(under sized from OE??)
Swift zxi 2008 JK Vectra Absolute delight

Cedia 2010 AVSdB V550 remind me of the Bridgestone REs on my Zen.

As you can see in my own experience a given manufacturer's products (tires as well as car) have shown me performance on two extremes. One bad or one good product alone cannot lead to the manufacturer being swept away or put on a pedestal. I believe one has to take a given product under individual consideration.

Quote:
KHOJ, I honestly respect your feedback on the tyres and your valuable posts in the forum..
But the below statements were unnecessary and uncalled for.
In view of that

Quote:
I don't persoanlly gain anything by showing off in the FORUM.
Thanks for reading.
and furthermore the above statement I withdraw my two statements that you found offensive.

Ciao
Old 8th August 2011, 14:14   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, now that we know that you have had both tyres on two of your cars, your earlier reviews are even more trustworthy.. and so I say it again, thanks for an honest opinion!

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 8th August 2011 at 14:19.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 15:06   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
In view of that
and furthermore the above statement I withdraw my two statements that you found offensive.
Quote:
!! are you sure?
Again.............
You are taking it too personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj
have the brakes of the Civic looked into. It just might make a difference to your AVS experience.

Sure, this is my first priority as of now. iIt's been pending for sometime.
Off late I'm having vibrations in steering wheel while braking(above 70kmph), seems like my brake rotors need to be skimmed(Or replace..). Brake pads seems to be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Well, now that we know that you have had both tyres on two of your cars, your earlier reviews are even more trustworthy.. and so I say it again, thanks for an honest opinion!
Thanks Gaurav. I have put in what I have experienced.
Old 8th August 2011, 18:42   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again.............
You are taking it too personally.
Not at all, the first statement is an attempt at humour (unsuccessfull) and the withdrawal of statements is well just 'withdrawal of statements'.

Anyhow, it is all water under the bridge. Let's just let it be.
Old 8th August 2011, 23:27   #360
Senior - BHPian

Guys! for a change I am using Good year Excellence. 15K done on it, I am happy with the performance. I got 5 of them last year for 19K.

Good Year is not that bad for me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks