Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2009, 09:55   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
As everyone has said, it could be any of the following :
1. Valve not functioning correctly
2. Leak at base of valve stem (where it meets the wheel)
3. Puncture (tubeless tyres dont burst, they leak - sometimes very slowly)
4. If you have steel wheels, the flange could be corroded/rusted allowing air to leak.
R
I found a couple of leaks at the bead - rim seals in my Accent alloys. (Hyundai Alloys + Bridgestone 350's). After struggling a lot with no luck, one day I was changing a flat and accidentally got some water on the spare. Went off for an errand, when I returned I found small bubbles around the bead - voila I had the source of the leak. Confirmed it with fresh water and soap foam. Both the rims and tyres were in excellent condition, and a slow leak of about 1-2 psi per day had been there every since I changed to tubeless from tubed tyres.
Old 9th October 2009, 22:23   #47
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
6.5J is good enough. So another question, I think this is an alloy rim?
Yes it is the OE alloy rim that came with the car.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I will do that. Thanks!

@tsk1979 - I will do what you suggested too, just to be on the safe side
@ Jaggu: You were right. Checked at a different filling station, and all 4 tyre readings were along expected lines. I even checked after a run of about 20-25 kms and the increase wasn't more than 2-3 psi.

@tsk1979: I also did a touch test on the tyres after the long drive mentioned above. All 4 tyres were lukewarmish to the touch.

A fellow BHPian (Thanks sukiwa!!) also helped me out in taking a cold condition reading using his portable electronic tyre inflater, just to double check that the driver side tyre wasn't showing abnormal readings to start with!

Mystery solved, case closed! Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 16th October 2009, 11:29   #49
BHPian

My right rear tyre seems to loose about 4 5 Psi every 2 weeks.
I presume it is a bad leak somewhere there are no punctures in the tyre.
my lancer drives on Bridgestone Turanzas ER 60 - 185/70R13.

how do we fix bead leaks.
Will removing the tyre and cleaning the alloy and refixing the tyre solve it??

I asked one tyre guy who said the alloy might be bent. is i possible please advice.
Old 16th October 2009, 11:52   #50
Team-BHP Support

Carefully examine if you have any small nail or the likes stuck, if not check the valve and valve seating, then proceed to alloys, yes bent alloys sometimes can cause loss of psi.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:41   #51
BHPian

I checked the tyre with a local tyre repair shop. he said that the alloy is bent. he inserted the tyre into a water bath and i could see very very minute bubble one coming out every 15 seconds or so. i asked him to remove and refit the tyre but he probably wasn't sure that he could fix it so he hesitated to even remove the tyre.
Should removing the tyre sanding the alloy surface where the bead sits and applying something be able to fix the leak? I am stripped out of cash so replacing the alloy is out of question atleast for the next 3 4 months.

for now i just top up the air every week.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:29   #52
BANNED

@leadf00t: I would just live with it. Removing a tubeless from the rim unless he has the proper machines is always dodgy. I am doubtful whether sanding the alloys will help.
Old 24th October 2009, 01:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

I would still say get it checked out at a good shop. Preferably remove the tyre from the rim, check it for nails etc. and put it back. Also, some shops in Mumbai also have alloys wheel straighteners (Premji's has one I believe) so in case the leak is in fact due to a bent alloy (its unlikely though IMO) it can always be fixed for a few hundred rupees rather than changing the alloy.
Old 8th July 2010, 16:51   #54
BHPian

I have been running michelin XM1+ 185/65/14 on swift steel rims for my baleno.

Off late I have been noticing a psi drop in my right rear tyre, last time I checked the affected tyres has 18psi and remaining ones had 28psi.

I fill nitrogen in my tyres. I got it checked at the local tyrewala, there was no puncture & he fitted the tyres again.

On bad road with undulation, the handling goes for a toss with a single tyrs dropping psi..

Appreciate u r help
Old 11th July 2010, 14:40   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I have been running michelin XM1+ 185/65/14 on swift steel rims for my baleno.

Off late I have been noticing a psi drop in my right rear tyre, last time I checked the affected tyres has 18psi and remaining ones had 28psi.

I fill nitrogen in my tyres. I got it checked at the local tyrewala, there was no puncture & he fitted the tyres again.

On bad road with undulation, the handling goes for a toss with a single tyrs dropping psi..

Appreciate u r help
Have you checked your rims for any damage ?
Old 11th July 2010, 19:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Off late I have been noticing a psi drop in my right rear tyre..............
Same thing happened to me after I changed the tyres. I'm running 185/70R14 Yoko A Drives on stock steel rims on my Swift. I've used the rims for about 60k km on the rims but they are still in great shape so the pressure loss mystified me for a while. Changing the valve solved the problem.
How long back did you change your tyres?
Old 11th July 2010, 19:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Same thing happened to me after I changed the tyres. I'm running 185/70R14 Yoko A Drives on stock steel rims on my Swift. I've used the rims for about 60k km on the rims but they are still in great shape so the pressure loss mystified me for a while. Changing the valve solved the problem.
How long back did you change your tyres?
Its a probable cause if your tyres are old.

Did you change the whole valve or the valve pin inside ??
Old 12th July 2010, 00:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Its a probable cause if your tyres are old.

Did you change the whole valve or the valve pin inside ??
I've done just about 2.5k km on my tyres. There were no leaks so the tyre guy recommended changing the entire valve. No problems anymore. Would you recommend changing the valves when you put on new tyres?
Old 12th July 2010, 21:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I've done just about 2.5k km on my tyres. There were no leaks so the tyre guy recommended changing the entire valve. No problems anymore. Would you recommend changing the valves when you put on new tyres?
Ideally yes, with new tyres, use new valves only. Everything has a life.
Old 18th July 2011, 11:06   #60
BHPian

Re: Tire Valve question

Experts,

Need advice. I have Yokahama A Drive (though as such the question isn't related to tire). I use tire gauge & tire inflater to maintain air pressure. Recently I got tire balancing and rotation done. Part of this exercise I rotated spare wheel to left wheel.

Now the question is with this wheel, it is difficult to use gauge. No matter how I hold Air leaks, hence doesn't registers correct pressure in gauge. This happens in my gauge, in some petrol bunk gauge too. I thought this is related to pin in valve, went to tire shop. Guy took the pin out and refitted it, I still face the issue. It was possible to measure pressure while it was the spare wheel. The problem occurred only after tire removed from spare wheel and then put on to left wheel (as I have 4 alloys and a steel wheel).

Some time even in air compressor also air leaks. But its generally okay.
What could be the issue here?

Gauge I use is Moroso 89560.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks