Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 19:28   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre issues: Right-rear losing pressure gradually over several days

If everything fails, then it is tyre leaking from the rim. May be at a certain point when the tyre is loaded and deforms it leaks. The only method of being sure is to inter change the tyres from a good wheel. If the rim is at fault the same rim will leak. If tyre is at fault then the leak will start in the other rim.

In case it is the tyre get it replaced.

If it is the rim repair it. Check for small cracks in the rim they may also be the cause of leak.
Old 14th January 2012, 18:10   #77
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tyre losing air pressure & fast!

Got it checked today at tyre clinic. There were slow leaks in 2 places along the tyre-rim joint. They cleaned the rim thoroughly using sand-paper/file, and re-inflated the tyre. Though the marked spots weren't leaking anymore, I'm not sure if the issue won't recur once I drive around a bit.

Their suggestion is to change the rims since mine are 5 years old. I'm also thinking along the same lines now, since I don't want to have this at the back of my mind everytime I drive. What do you guys suggest?
Old 14th January 2012, 18:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Get the rims changed.
Ask around some local tire dealers they might get you the rims at dirt cheap rate.
Not worth buying from hyundai dealer.
Old 14th January 2012, 19:00   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao
Got it checked today at tyre clinic. There were slow leaks in 2 places along the tyre-rim joint. They cleaned the rim thoroughly using sand-paper/file, and re-inflated the tyre. Though the marked spots weren't leaking anymore, I'm not sure if the issue won't recur once I drive around a bit.

Their suggestion is to change the rims since mine are 5 years old. I'm also thinking along the same lines now, since I don't want to have this at the back of my mind everytime I drive. What do you guys suggest?

Try for a few weeks . If the leaking still exists then go ahead and replace all the rims .
Old 14th January 2012, 19:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Go to a tyre dealer who also sells alloy wheels. They buy back steel rims for around Rs.100/. Most of the time the rims are brand new, so you can strike a deal and get all your rims changed for a song.
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:09   #81
BHPian

I rather have the opposite situation, i've got new set of alloys and tyres. When ever i get the tyre pressure checked its atleast 5 psi more, not sure the exact reason for this.

I have tubeless tyres,i have filled Nitrogen air sometimes and normal air at times not sure if that is causing the tyre pressure to go up.

Any insight would be helpful.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:08   #82
BHPian

Tired with tire

My safari tires have developed a strange issue - the tires are getting completely flat after 1-2 months or so and I have to change the valve pin. I have Michelin tubeless AT and every time I have to pay Rs. 150 per tyre. What could be the issue?

The tires are about 3 years and 40k old, still have some life left (about 20-30k more).
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:12   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tired with tire

Changing the valve pin shouldnt cost Rs. 150/-.

If it isnt a puncture issue, then I feel someone is playing mischief near your house/office.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:49   #84
BHPian

I don't know what it is called, but it is not the Rs. 10 thing, it is the part that sticks out of the tire. The mechanic everytime shows me that when he pulls it, it comes out. It obviously does not come out on pull after change, and I have tried a number of workshops, so it is not the case of somebody trying to make a fast one.
Old 23rd March 2012, 00:13   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I think you are talking about the 'neck'. It is so strange that all four tyres have the same issue.

However, the usual cause for 'neck' to go bad, is running on low air pressure. Whats the air pressure you are running?
Old 23rd March 2012, 07:15   #86
BHPian

I usually run at 32 for front and 35 for at rear. Usually, I always have the habit of checking the pressure once per week. So considering running on low pressure as one off case, what could be the other reasons?
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:48   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My safari tires have developed a strange issue - the tires are getting completely flat after 1-2 months or so and I have to change the valve pin. I have Michelin tubeless AT and every time I have to pay Rs. 150 per tyre. What could be the issue?
Do the tyres all lose pressure at the same time or is it one of the four tyres everytime?

Quote:
If it isnt a puncture issue, then I feel someone is playing mischief near your house/office.
If it happens so frequently, I too would be of the same opinion as Nikhil. The tubeless tyre necks cannot fail so frequently.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

Check the rims for deformation. It could also be dirt getting in between tyre and rim & causing it loose air.
Old 24th March 2012, 07:13   #89
BHPian

I have alloy wheels and the alloys are in perfect shape, so there is no concern there.

All four tires do not loose pressure at the same time. Sometimes one, sometimes two. I am also surprised, I never changed the neck before this problem started. I would not rule out the mischief part as recently someone wrote obscene words in big letters in my car. But I just wanted to make sure that there is no other root cause.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I have alloy wheels and the alloys are in perfect shape, so there is no concern there.

All four tires do not loose pressure at the same time. Sometimes one, sometimes two. I am also surprised, I never changed the neck before this problem started. I would not rule out the mischief part as recently someone wrote obscene words in big letters in my car. But I just wanted to make sure that there is no other root cause.
There are only four ways your tyre will lose air.

1) A nail or some other object causing a hole so you have a small leak.
2) A gap between the rim and the tyre and hence you have a small leak.
3) A problem with the valve (top or neck) and hence you have a small leak.
4) Some mishief by somebody for whatever reasons.

Assuming you have eliminated reasons 1,2 and 3, then by definition you are left with option 4 only. Hope that helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks