Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 21:07   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre losing air pressure & fast!

It looks like mischief.

Do your valves have caps? If not, get a set; most tyre repair persons have a lot to spare; and screw them tight. If it is mischief then the caps will be loose or missing when your tyres go flat. Do check the tyres every morning if you suspect some one near your house.

One trick to dissuade minor pranks is to glue the valve caps using a drop of nail polish. The cap will require quite an effort to unscrew, which dissuades casual pranksters.

I would also suggest that you get a foot operated tyre pump. It would cost as much as you are spending for the valve bodies. Use the pump to fill the air every time you notice the tyres loosing pressure.

Last edited by Aroy : 24th March 2012 at 21:11.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2012, 09:36   #92
BHPian

The tires went flat again. Well, yesterday, it was low on pressure (not completely flat but about 70% flat) and I drove like that for 10-12 kms without realizing it, the steering was a bit heavy though, which prompted me to check). Then got it topped up with air and came back home. Absolutely no problems and the steering was okay. Today morning the tire is completely flat and the rear right tire is also low on pressure.

Guys it is getting to a point of driving us insane. I will try the technique suggested by ARoy above but please tell me if there could be any any other reason.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
The tires went flat again. Well, yesterday, it was low on pressure (not completely flat but about 70% flat) and I drove like that for 10-12 kms without realizing it, the steering was a bit heavy though, which prompted me to check). Then got it topped up with air and came back home. Absolutely no problems and the steering was okay. Today morning the tire is completely flat and the rear right tire is also low on pressure.

Guys it is getting to a point of driving us insane. I will try the technique suggested by ARoy above but please tell me if there could be any any other reason.
You can also get the tyres checked at a "puncture repair" person. Fill the tyre with excess pressure, say 45PSI and them immerse the whole tyre in water and watch for the tell tale bubble. If none come out in five minutes, then it is definitely mischief.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:56   #94
J.Ravi

Quote:
The tires went flat again.
I had similar bad experience. The culprit was a sticker on the beads of tyre which was the root cause for air leakage. The details are here.

Old 7th April 2012, 10:59   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Then got it topped up with air and came back home. Absolutely no problems and the steering was okay. Today morning the tire is completely flat and the rear right tire is also low on pressure.
Loosing air overnight in a tubeles tyre is certainly detectable. Jack up the car, remove the tyre and immerse in water. You SHOULD see bubbles, even if it's a puncture, bad neck or bent rim.

If not its definitely a prank.

Please check and let us know.
Old 7th April 2012, 12:29   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Tyre loosing pressure over a day is like a big leak, get both your tyres checked for puncture, if found, no mischief has been done.
Old 7th April 2012, 12:58   #97
BHPian

Sometimes nails get stuck to the tires and gets embedded, and air leaks very gradually. Say, over a period of 8 to 10 days. One doesn't notice the reduced pressure instantly. So please check for nails stuck in your tires regularly.
Old 7th April 2012, 13:43   #98
BHPian

Got all tires checked in a tire shop. The valve neck was bad again. In 3 months, I have changed neck 3 times for this tire.

In fact the neck was found to be bad in one of the rear tires as well.

There was a nail embedded in one of the other tires but as expected of a tubeless tire, that tire was all good. No bubble was found in any of the tires when checked with water.

So the problem comes down to "valve neck going bad every month". According to this tire service person, the valve neck was broken from inside.
Old 7th April 2012, 18:10   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy
Got all tires checked in a tire shop. The valve neck was bad again. In 3 months, I have changed neck 3 times for this tire.

In fact the neck was found to be bad in one of the rear tires as well.

There was a nail embedded in one of the other tires but as expected of a tubeless tire, that tire was all good. No bubble was found in any of the tires when checked with water.

So the problem comes down to "valve neck going bad every month". According to this tire service person, the valve neck was broken from inside.
How much did each value cost you? Do you know which brand of valves they use?

If the problem occurs with value again I suggest you get it replaced from another reputed tyre shop
Old 15th June 2012, 13:21   #100
BHPian

I am also facing the same problem!
The valve stem is causing problems - It is slow(very slow- takes 2 to 3 weeks) to completely drop the pressure to less than 20 psi.

Replaced one stem - now another is causing issues!
Searching for a reliable value stem - May be one from Triton!
The rubber seems to crack in the value stem where it is not covered - This is the part that flexes when the air is checked/topped up. it seems like the rubber quality of the stem is pathetic!

Last edited by Sedate : 15th June 2012 at 13:23.
Old 17th June 2012, 12:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How much did each value cost you? Do you know which brand of valves they use?

If the problem occurs with value again I suggest you get it replaced from another reputed tyre shop
Next time check the hole in the rim. The hole in the rim may be eccentric or may not be finished perfectly. If it is a steel rim, the hole can get corrupted if the rim has hit the kerb or a large stone at speed.

In the last 40 years of driving I have never had the valve stem leaking in tube less tyres. I have observed this phenomenon only on damaged steel rims, where the leak can develop, not only at valve stem, but also long the rim edge, when the edge is a bit damaged.
Old 12th March 2013, 18:39   #102
BHPian

Folks, Need some advice. The left front tire of my Alto K10 is leaking air slowly (stock Bridgestone tubeless tires). I took it to a puncture shop and there was no puncture at all. The Mechanic said it could probably be that there is a leak between the Tire beading and the rim. So I tried changing the spare wheel. But the spare tire is also leaking air exactly the same way as the previous one. Everytime I check the tire pressure the left front tire is shows atleast 5-6 psi less than the other tires.

My long drive and holiday is pending only because of this nagging issue. Please help with your expert advice or pl point me to a good tire service shop in Bangalore (Bannerghatta road).

Thanks in advance.
Old 18th June 2013, 23:10   #103
BHPian

both left tires losing pressure

I have a skoda rapid, I up'ed the tires from 175/70/r14 to 205/55/r15. Replaced the steel rims with alloys. A couple of days after the tires I got the alignment done and also made sure the pressure was correctly set to 32 all around.

Three days after that the car started banking left, went in and saw both the left tires were at 18/19 psi. Got a topup done to check if the same thing happens. And after 2 days the same thing has happened, car is banking left again.

These are new Yoko s drives, could both the front and the rear have a puncture. That sounds unrealistic.
Could the alloys be causing the car to put more weight on the left ?
Could something be wrong with the tires ?
Or against all odds I really do have a puncture on both the tires

I am going to go and get is looked at tommorow, and so wanted insight on what possible issues can cause both the tires to loose pressure.

And yes I already am running on nitrogen.
Old 18th June 2013, 23:22   #104
Senior - BHPian

re: both left tires losing pressure

If you did find the tyre pressure down, then that's the first cause you need to fix. Usually the pressure would drop by about 1psi or so over a few days' period (from my own experience). In your case, it does seem that both tyres have a leak somewhere.

The leak could either be because of a puncture (improbable but not impossible), or the valve. Since you recently changed to alloy wheels, it's likely the valves were not fit properly, or were damaged.

In any case you need to get the tyre off the vehicle and check it for both cases. A good tyre repair guy would do both.

Only once you have fixed the cause for the drop in pressure can you then see if the problem still persists and then look for further action.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 23:30   #105
BHPian

re: both left tires losing pressure

Thanks, Sounds like a plan. I am a little worried about it being something complicated like the alloys are causing an imbalance or something.

Most Viewed