Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 12:35   #61
BHPian

Re: Tyre loosing air pressure fast.

Hello friends, need an urgent opinion. I had installed a new set of energy XM1+ 185/70/R14 three months back for my swiftZXI & they have done around 3k kms.

Today one of them had less air pressure & i took it to get the puncture repaired.
But on closer inspection , it was found that there was a small cut in the sidewall of the tyre. The tyrewallah is saying that they will repair it by some technique from inside .

Now , esteemed members please let me know that can the tyre be safely used again without any issues cropping up or the repair will only be temporary. I am asking as the car is used daily & over some bad stretches of road . Anyone with similar experiance on tubeless tyres , kindly help me. Thanks.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post

Today one of them had less air pressure & i took it to get the puncture repaired.
But on closer inspection , it was found that there was a small cut in the sidewall of the tyre. The tyrewallah is saying that they will repair it by some technique from inside .

Now , esteemed members please let me know that can the tyre be safely used again without any issues cropping up or the repair will only be temporary. I am asking as the car is used daily & over some bad stretches of road . Anyone with similar experiance on tubeless tyres , kindly help me. Thanks.
Please don't drive with sidewall damaged tires, even if it has been repaired. Sidewall damage is repairable however use it as your spare tire when in need. There aint any harm in using this as a spare when you have a flat as long as it's limited to a few kms.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:43   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush78 View Post
Normally the sidewall repairs are not guarented by any tyre repair guy, it is always advisable to replace the tyre. What technique is he talking about, any details on that?

One of my Michelin tyre had a puncture on the sidewall and the apprentice working in the try shop repaired it and made it more worse. There was a second leakage at the same spot, I had to replace the tyre since it was not worthwhile to keep it as a spare.
Old 5th August 2011, 13:13   #64
BHPian

Well , he was saying something about repairing like a mushroom i.e. he will put something from inside & it will cover the cut like a mushroom head & then cut the extra portion from outside. Will get the tyre back in evening , only then will know what really happened .
Old 5th August 2011, 14:17   #65
BANNED

A sidewall cut should NOT be repaired. Tyre change is your only way.
Old 5th August 2011, 23:35   #66
BHPian

Well Friends, Thanks for your valuable inputs, I have bought a new tyre & got the damaged tyre also repaired for using as a spare.
The tyre was repaired by a mushroom shaped puncture which was stuck from the inside at the spot with its stalk or pedicle coming out thru the cut in the sidewall. The extra stalk was cut by a blade so that it is flush with the sidewall from outside. I forgot to see the brand of the puncture. Costed Rs.250..
Old 11th January 2012, 12:37   #67
Team-BHP Support

Tyre issues: Right-rear losing pressure gradually over several days

I got my Accent serviced a few weeks ago. Some work was done on the right rear suspension (strut assembly to be exact), and I also got wheel alignment done. Now I've no idea if that's got anything to do with the issue I'm facing now, but here goes:

I use Nitrogen in my car's tyres, and I got the level checked/topped up during service. When I got back home, I noticed that the right rear had lost pressure. On cursory inspection, I found the valve nozzle was slightly depressed from it's regular position, so I pulled it back into place manually to stop the leak, removed the wheel and took it to Iyengar's tyre clinic (Bangalore guys would be familiar with them). They replaced the entire valve neck saying there was a leak at its base. 2 weeks on, the tyre has again lost pressure, though not completely deflated, so it seems like a slow leak from somewhere.

Now:

1. What can be the issue? I did get them to check for any punctures when I went for valve replacement, but there were none.

2. Can it be a leak from the tyre beading at the rim edges?

3. Has the suspension work done got anything to do with it? This issue first happened after the A.S.S. visit.

I plan to take the car to tyre clinic this weekend, but some pointers in advance would be nice.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th January 2012 at 12:40.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre issues: Right-rear losing pressure gradually over several days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I got my Accent serviced a few weeks ago. Some work was done on the right rear suspension (strut assembly to be exact), and I also got wheel alignment done. Now I've no idea if that's got anything to do with the issue I'm facing now, but here goes:

I use Nitrogen in my car's tyres, and I got the level checked/topped up during service. When I got back home, I noticed that the right rear had lost pressure. On cursory inspection, I found the valve nozzle was slightly depressed from it's regular position, so I pulled it back into place manually to stop the leak, removed the wheel and took it to Iyengar's tyre clinic (Bangalore guys would be familiar with them). They replaced the entire valve neck saying there was a leak at its base. 2 weeks on, the tyre has again lost pressure, though not completely deflated, so it seems like a slow leak from somewhere.

Now:

1. What can be the issue? I did get them to check for any punctures when I went for valve replacement, but there were none.

3. Has the suspension work done got anything to do with it? This issue first happened after the A.S.S. visit.

I plan to take the car to tyre clinic this weekend, but some pointers in advance would be nice.

Hi. If there was a leak from the tyre beading I guess this would have showed during the time you were checking for punctures. Are you using alloys or pressed steel rims? Incase of pressed steel rims, there is a possibility of an air leak if the rim is corroded somewhere internally.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

The leak could be from one of the three places
  1. Small puncture
  2. Nozzle leak
  3. Wheels leaking from some small hole/bend

All these are easy to check, using plain water. Do go to Iyengar's again and tell them about the problem. They would surely find it.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:05   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now:

It might be because there is a nail in the tyre. Try dipping the wheel in a bucket of water when at the tyre shop to find out the source of the leak.

Note-If you dont find the leak when immersed in water dont give up. Increase the pressure of the tire to 45 PSI and dip in water again.because many times the leak show up only when the pressure is high! Dont worry your tire wont burst because you wont be putting any load on it .Just remember to set to the right pressure before fitting it to the car
Old 11th January 2012, 13:09   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi. If there was a leak from the tyre beading I guess this would have showed during the time you were checking for punctures. Are you using alloys or pressed steel rims? Incase of pressed steel rims, there is a possibility of an air leak if the rim is corroded somewhere internally.
I'm using steel rims, and the tyres are new (changed about 4k kms ago). The wheels were checked for corrosion during the tyre change, and everything was fine until a few weeks ago. Though I've got no reason to believe it, I've got a feeling it might have something to do with the suspension/wheel alignment work done during service. The question is, how to check and eliminate possible causes?
Old 11th January 2012, 13:11   #72
Senior - BHPian

There's a hairpin puncture, when checking for one overinflate it and then ask them to dip in water for the bubbles OR else wait for the leakage to increase, then the puncture is easier to detect.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:13   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
It might be because there is a nail in the tyre. Try dipping the wheel in a bucket of water when at the tyre shop to find out the source of the leak.

Note-If you dont find the leak when immersed in water dont give up. Increase the pressure of the tire to 45 PSI and dip in water again.because many times the leak show up only when the pressure is high! Dont worry your tire wont burst because you wont be putting any load on it .Just remember to set to the right pressure before fitting it to the car
We actually checked for punctures/embedded sharp objects at the tyre clinic, but found nothing. I also drove on the highway last week and the tyre held up fine. It seems to be a very slow puncture somwhere, because the tyre is still inflated enough to drive around.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:16   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We actually checked for punctures/embedded sharp objects at the tyre clinic, but found nothing. I also drove on the highway last week and the tyre held up fine. It seems to be a very slow puncture somwhere, because the tyre is still inflated enough to drive around.

Thats why i advice to increase the pressure to 45 PSI and check. These small leaks will show up then!
Old 11th January 2012, 13:18   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Thats why i advice to increase the pressure to 45 PSI and check. These small leaks will show up then!
Will try it this wekend. I'm planning a road trip in early Feb; don't want any tyre trouble

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks