Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 10:51   #331
P76
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind422 View Post
Hi everybody,

I have a 2008 Innova and need to replace two tyres. About 20% of my use is on rural roads in very bad shape (hilly areas). Unfortunately, I have encountered a lot of situations where the poor Michelin Energy XM2's misserably failed to grip the horribly loose gravel (the lightly rocky patches were not too kind to the sidewalls either). Those are good tyres but are not built for bad terrain.

So, I have been searching for the past two months for 225/60R15 tyres with an AT construction. An AT pattern will almost certainly take away some of the on-road grip from the 205s, and hence, the 225s to compensate (for highway use). I could not find any 225s (of AT construction), but I did find two of 205 width.
Those are:-
Yokohama Geolandar A/T GO15 205/70R15
Ceat Czar A/T 205/65R15

The Yoko's being of 70 aspect ratio do increase the outer diameter by 3.2 % (and this might increase even further considering the fact that ATs and MTs have tall blocks of tread). But I dont usually carry much load (not much driveline fatigue possible) so I was still interested in the them. unfortunately, they are not available even with the Yokohama distributor for Kerala. I did try sending a few enquiries through their website, but its now clearly evident that they do not want to waste their time sending replies to a querry for a low demand product (and that too, in a size that probably wont sell again)

Now this is where I need help. I would like to know how good the Ceat Czar A/T's are. I just need two for the rear. So comfort is not a priority while puncture resistance, sidewall strength and chip resistance definately are. Any available info on change in fuel efficiency would be interesting too.

Info on any brand I might have missed will also be a blessing.

Thanks.
Hi aravind422, I am also planning to change to 205/70-15 Yokohama Geolanders for my Innova. Have been using Yoko Earth1 in 225/60-15 size presently. Done 55k on them, no complaints, good tyres.
As for the AT tyres, did you check Apollo? They do have a tyre in that size:

https://www.apollotyres.com/en-in/ca...5/1486-altrust

And I also saw that Continental has the size-

https://www.continental-tyres.in/car...er&cartype=suv

Last edited by P76 : 4th June 2020 at 10:54.
Old 4th June 2020, 13:11   #332
BHPian

Dear P76,

The Yokohamas are excellent if you can get them in your place. My friends use them(Geolandar A/T G015) on 4wd's in other countries. They say that if you are not into much rock crawling then they are better than MT's. One guy even claimed a 65,000km tread life. Onroad dynamics are acceptable too. Good luck with that.

Thanks for the links you provided. However, I cant find an A/T pattern tyre in a suitable size on either of the two websites.

Looks like I too will have to try and source a pair of Yokos from somewhere soon. I'm literally running out of tread.

Thanks a lot.
aravind422 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 17:16   #333
BHPian

Ok guys.

I've finalised on the Yokohama's. I got a small bargain on two Geolandar-G015's that are somewhat old stock (2018). I'll be using them strictly on the rear axle, and these being AT tyres with better carcasses than Highway tyres, should still last for 4 more years at the least (before they blow out).

If available however, I would have happily bought year-2020 tyres. So, I shall pay an advance in a couple of days, and the tyre shop will arrange the year-2018 tyres for me. Just hope the date stamps show somewhere near the end of 2018.

To add to that, I didnt get any positive feedback on the Ceat Czar AT's. Maybe they are extremely rare. I also tried the local shops for some info, but got nothing.

Cheers.
Old 9th June 2020, 14:12   #334
P76
BHPian

Hi aravind do post photos after fitment. Did you enquire about Yokohama Geolander SUV ?
Old 9th June 2020, 23:21   #335
BHPian

Hi P76.

I sure will post some pics. Just dont know when I will get them here.

I did check that out initially. Both the SUV and the G015 versions of the Geolandar come in the same size, load rating and speed rating. But the former is a normal road tyre, didnt look like it would be as grippy in loose dirt as the other one.

Thanks.
Old 15th June 2020, 21:59   #336
BHPian

Hi,

Got the tyres on Saturday evening. I got them fitted today morning and drove for around 10km. The tyres look and feel OK to drive (on the rear axle).

One thing I noticed was that they have tons of grip on loose surfaces (compared to the Michelins). Another matter that was immediately evident is that they definately have a higher rolling resistance than the Michelins at the same pressure. Will sort things out later.

Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-01.jpg  

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-02.jpg  

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-04.jpg  

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-05.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2020, 11:31   #337
BHPian

Ok people,

This is what I learned from around a 100 Km of slushy terrain with a pinch of gravel and stones in places :-

Firstly, these tyres wont slip unless you want them to.

Just be careful to softly apply the throttle and ease off when you sense wheel spin. They will get you through most muddy situations, (even overcoming the dead weight of front end).
Interesting thing is that my use was mostly on a light rear axle (no cargo at all and third row seats completely removed). With a loaded rear end, grip WILL be even better.

Reversing up gravel inclines is much easier now.

For me, its either in-town use OR well tarred but narrow lanes OR horrible roads. So, I can't yet comment on highway manners or speeds above 70kmph. Upto the 70 mark, its better than what I expected.

Compared to the Michelins, a higher pressure of 37psi needed for a safe ride.
Even 34psi Nitrogen (from three different tyre shops) made them look underinflated.
Didn't want the sidewalls to flex too much and risk getting damaged by sharp stones.
I couldnt find much difference in on-road ride comfort between 34 & 37, but with increased tyre pressure, you have to go slower over joints and Telephone/Water department cuts across the roads, or you'll get H-U-G-E jarring thumps.

The tyres (being of AT construction) are definately heavier.
The bald Michelins weighed less than two-thirds of the Yokohama tyres.
Due to this, I certainly wont be using these in the front (there goes the four-tyre rotation dream).

Another thing is that I am not into setting fire to highways, especially in a van. So, these tyres are perfect for me. Just hope that they give a trouble free life considering the fact that they are already 25 months old.

Thats about all that I could asses, and depending on use, requirements and driving style, others might have different experiences.

Thanks for reading.
Old 3rd January 2021, 23:04   #338
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
NEXEN N7000+ : 14000 KM update !

Completed another 7k kms in the past 4months and I have nothing but praises.

The car feels very sure-footed in the dry.
Braking feels on par with the Contis that I was running previously. Mileage remains the same.

My only grouse previously with these tyres is the feeling from the steering during rains.

No punctures till date *touchwood*.
Hey Shanksta - Do you still have these tyres on your Innova? Last time when I had enquired i.e 3 yrs ago, I bought Yoko Earth-1 which have served quite decently. Not many punctures & now 55k kms later, they still have some tread left but I prefer to change them. Willing to experiment with Nexens basis your feedback. Primary criteria is less road noise & comfort (as Innova's low speed ride quality isn't the best!).

Cheers
Old 8th January 2021, 17:24   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Hey Shanksta - Do you still have these tyres on your Innova? Last time when I had enquired i.e 3 yrs ago, I bought Yoko Earth-1 which have served quite decently. Not many punctures & now 55k kms later, they still have some tread left but I prefer to change them. Willing to experiment with Nexens basis your feedback. Primary criteria is less road noise & comfort (as Innova's low speed ride quality isn't the best!).

Cheers
Hi RJK,

Happy new Year !

Yes, I still have these tyres on my Innova. Completed just a measly 30k kms since the change. Very low running the past 2 years.

But on the positive side. The tyre hardly show any wear to date. Might last another 30k kms. No punctures till now *Touchwood*. They are very comfortable.

Just completed a long roadtrip of 3000+kms from Chennai to Goa and return via Coorg, Masinagudi, Pollachi and Chennai. The tyres were very good. Have been maintaining my standard 32 Psi all around as always.

My only grouse would be they tend to aquaplane a little bit more than the Continentals I had before. Avoid standing water during rains on the highway and you’re golden.

Last edited by Shanksta : 8th January 2021 at 17:26.
Old 18th November 2021, 23:21   #340
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I am looking to make my Innova ZX’s ride more comfortable hence thinking of putting Michelin Primacy 4ST 215/60/17, upsize from stock 215/55/17. I guess that is the best way to make the ride slightly more plush. Please do let me know if this sounds good or there are other sizes too. Thanks!
Old 19th December 2021, 16:26   #341
BHPian

Today replaced the stock Bridgestone 390 on my innova to Michelin XM2+ from Tyre empire HSR, bangalore. Bridgestone did 63701 KMs and there was crack on two of the tyres. The XM2+ is made on 10the week of 2021. Before changing the tyre , the person at Tyre Empire confirmed that tyre are of less than 6 months make but later he changed the stand and mentioned that only these are available .Not sure whether I am cheated
Old 9th January 2022, 19:21   #342

Review of Yoko Tyres on Innova

Driven more than 40k km and almost four years all over the country, the tires still have the muscle for another 20k km. Had got them in May 18 and the tyres just dont seem to tire
Old 10th January 2022, 16:25   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
Hello BHPians,

I am looking to make my Innova ZX’s ride more comfortable hence thinking of putting Michelin Primacy 4ST 215/60/17, upsize from stock 215/55/17. I guess that is the best way to make the ride slightly more plush. Please do let me know if this sounds good or there are other sizes too. Thanks!
I went with 225/55/17. Ride is fantastic now.
Old 18th January 2022, 22:16   #344
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Just wondering if anyone knows the tyre profile and brand used in the Innova crysta brochure. Definitely not the puny 17” Turanzas offered with 2.4 ZX.

Appreciate your inputs as I’m planning to put on wider profile tyres on ours which I hope would improve the low speed ride comfort at a cost of slightly reduced fuel economy, which I’m ok with.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-d536d4a91348480cb3b92dbafc692c57.jpeg  

Toyota Innova : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-9ac69ef7eb474c98815ae4206a75aef3.jpeg  

Old 6th June 2022, 10:05   #345
BHPian

I need to replace the tyres of my 2015 Innova and have been thinking about giving CEAT tyres a chance. Does any of the forum members have used the brand already and provide some feedback.

The tyre model is Milaze X3. There is also a Securadrive 195/65/R15, which the dealer is suggesting. Is it ok to fit 195 width tyres to Innova? Please advise on the best. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks