Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 11:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

You know when Fortuner came with 17" rims I was very dissappointed. Why? Because its hard to find 17" tires in the market. 16" and 15" AT tires are most common.

This leads to an interesting question.
What if you buy a a fortuner, and decide to change all 5 tires to AT right out of showroom. Will a tire dealer give you 35K/tire for the tires?
If you have a safari for example, you can walk out of the showroom to a tire dealer, and he will give you 4500/tire(MRP 5500) in exchange for ATs of your choice.

What will happen with these dunlops?

And secondly what if you damage one tire? Mixed is the only answer.
Somebody somewhere in Toyota goofed up big time.

Now imported cars attract 110% duty. If Toyota had imported just the car, and not the rims/tires they would have saved some tidy sum on duty.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

I hope Mr.Ishan Raghav can comment about this.A few days back we were chatting about this and he was absolutely sure that these tires come in different companies and are available in the 10-11k per tire price band.

Companies are known to charge huge amounts for everything.Now that this car is settled in the market the tires will be freely available in different brands and the prices will also come down owing to more production and import.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

First i thought it must be 40k for a wheel (tire + alloy).
40k for one tire is daylight robbery.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:28   #19
BHPian

and we said 25k /alloy of rays is too much
Old 8th October 2009, 11:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Yoko 265/65 R17 tyres(in A/T and H/T) is available for around 10k. Mixed is the only realistic option for people who damage one single tyre.

Otherwise, change all 4 to Yokos. Simple!
Old 8th October 2009, 11:34   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Surprising, I paid 25k for a set of four brand new 275/16's Dunlop Grandtreks (made in japan)

Even a 911's tyre doesn't cost that much
Old 8th October 2009, 11:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
40K for a tyre? Even the BMW 5 series runflats cost 22,000 (if I remember Sahil's post correctly) from an authorised outlet!! If this information is true, seems like a terrible oversight on Toyotas part. Even though one can easily buy the same tyre / size in the after-market for 8000 - 9000, such absurb pricing is just not done. Hopefully, its corrected sooner rather than later.

Existing Fortuner owners would do well in upgrading to say a Michelin LTX series (example) at the time of delivery itself. Not only would they get better performance, but even if a tyre is damaged, replacement will be way more convenient.
Yes GTO you are right, BMW runflats were around that figure.

Although switching to Michelin or Yoko right after delivery of a Fortuner seems logical, it would not be viable as such. Tyre shops won't really give you 10-12k even though the tyre is virtually new, let alone 40k. There would be out-of-pocket expenses as stories like Dunlop is not as reputed and hard to re-sell,etc would crop up from shop owners.

Which of these tyres provide the most comfortable ride?
Old 8th October 2009, 11:47   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, I would trust these Dunlops with anything. They are among the best tyres for SUVs from what I've heard from users. They are supposed to be comfortable, grip well enough and give decent traction off road.

I think there is no need to waste money in changing to YOkos or Michelins on a brand new car. It's useless and would be done only for some psychological reason.

It is like people changing brand new Apollo Acceleres on i20s and Sparks to Michelin XM1+! A totally pointless way of spending some money. You might as well take the local TBHPians out for a good dinner party!
Old 8th October 2009, 12:01   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If this information is true, seems like a terrible oversight on Toyotas part.
It's not a oversight but a carefully planned one. Remember we were all expecting 25L+ ex-showroom price for Fortuner. I would like to assume that Toyota got a terrific deal from Dunlop to get their initial consignment. Out of 18.5L 2L cannot go for tyres. I have a problem to believe this.

But now after getting Fortuner at that price Toyota probably believes customer shouldn't complain about tyre cost. And as Sahil said..
Quote:
Although switching to Michelin or Yoko right after delivery of a Fortuner seems logical, it would not be viable as such. Tyre shops won't really give you 10-12k even though the tyre is virtually new, let alone 40k. There would be out-of-pocket expenses as stories like Dunlop is not as reputed and hard to re-sell,etc would crop up from shop owners.
It's a catch 22 situation.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:06   #25
Team-BHP Support

I wanted to change my GV tyres upon delivery, but I didn't. There were no takers for the rare Yokohama Geolandar 225/70R16 tyres, even at a discount. When I asked how I would eventually replace, the dealership offered to import the OE tyres from Japan. I didn't bother asking the price.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:14   #26
Team-BHP Support

That was the same case with Crv, when we had one sidewall failure dealership quoted some 18k for one tire, we just walked away. Later got one from outside for some 8 k. Finally when first replacement came, went for Michellin Latitude 8-9k, again from outside.

So 10k additional for Made in japan bridgestone, we didnt think so!
Old 8th October 2009, 12:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

if 40K only for tire, how much it cost for the alloy which fits 40k tire?
Old 8th October 2009, 12:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Somebody at Toyota gonna get hurt

nikhil: how much would you pay for the Dunlop if a customer comes to you?
And I would take Sudev's opinion regarding the tyres. Maybe they are good for highway but not for 4x4.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
They are among the best tyres for SUVs from what I've heard from users. They are supposed to be comfortable, grip well enough and give decent traction off road.
That isn't the impression I got after reading Sudev's review - they were apparently spinning away in the mildest of slush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Anyone wanting to switch needs to convince himself that he's getting 4 tyres for the cost of one Dunlop I guess
Old 8th October 2009, 12:41   #30
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I would trust these Dunlops with anything. They are among the best tyres for SUVs from what I've heard from users. They are supposed to be comfortable, grip well enough and give decent traction off road.
plus they are the most silent tyre you can find, at any speed, and I am talking fat 275's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks