Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 22:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Could some kind soul check how much a single wheel(alloy) costs .. ?
Old 8th October 2009, 22:51   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

The good thing is that Toyota have probably realized the absurdity very early on - which is why the dealers are telling customers that they "do not have stock" of the imported Dunlops, "do not know the prices" & are now suggesting Bridgestones.
The tyre may cost 40K but what really matters is that the customer never has to pay that amount any time.

Toyota would have got the tyre at a huge discount in bulk and definitely not 40K.

The guy whom I spoke to would have told me that story about the dunlops being withdrawn due to high price since I know him very well and he is a good friend of mine. He's the same guy who gave me early info about the Black Altis and arranged the same for me.

He said Toyota has only sent down the BS tyres as replacement and no Dunlop's. So he has no idea even as to how much they cost.

Did Galaxy tell you anything about the Fortuner tyres?

So if the dealer's sell the BS tyres for 10.1K and they don't stock up the Dunlop's where did the 40K figure come from.

Maybe some other dealer got the Dunlop's? Bangalore dealers should get stock first since they are next door.
Old 8th October 2009, 23:08   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, do remember one thing. Many dealers dont buy from Toyota. They buy from the tyre market and then charge whatever they feel like.

Sumanji, no offence, but is it possible that the dealer you spoke to was doing this? He might have been buying tyres from one of the importers(B K tyres in all probability) and telling you an outrageous price. The USP of that tyre might have been the fact that they are the ones which come as OEM on the car. For a lot of people, that is priority No.1.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Did Galaxy tell you anything about the Fortuner tyres?
Yes, they told me that the Dunlops were out of stock & not on order because they had been asked to sell Bridgestones only. The guy told me that he was not authorized to give prices of an item which was not in stock. But he did tell me that the imported Dunlops are very expensive compared to other tyres available here. That is when he told me the price of the Camry tyre - 30,340 (they had one piece in stock); when I prodded him a little more, he agreed that the Fortuner tyre (if available) would have been in the range of 40k. But he wasn't willing to give an exact number since it wasn't in stock. (EDIT: Please note that I spoke to a person in Stores, not to Sales; it is the Stores people who will give the prices & confirm whether or not in stock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Sumanji, no offence, but is it possible that the dealer you spoke to was doing this? He might have been buying tyres from one of the importers(B K tyres in all probability) and telling you an outrageous price. The USP of that tyre might have been the fact that they are the ones which come as OEM on the car. For a lot of people, that is priority No.1.
Nikhil, you got it wrong. As I mentioned, he is a supplier of Bridgestones to one of the Toyota dealers. He has no interest in procuring & selling the Dunlops. He has verified the price with the Toyota dealership that he supplies tyres to. And, just FYI, he is way bigger than Atul (B K Tyres) & he is not an importer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Exactly mate. I am enjoying the way people are tripping based on hearsay. No one has gotten a quote from the Toyota parts dept. Somebody said the each tire costs 40K..... and the story goes on ..
4x4addict, I can see that you are very good at selective reading or maybe you just overlooked the portions highlighted below. They are based on facts -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The price on the tyre is probably correct. Each OE tyre (Dunlop) for Audi A6 is 35K, so maybe the 40K for the bigger Dunlop is correct.

It is another matter that you can get a Yokohama S drive for the Audi for around 12K.

Talk about ripping customers !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
While on the subject, let me tell you that its not uncommon that imported tyres cost the earth. Allow me to give you a live example - the Camry uses Imported Dunlop tyres as OE. Do you know how much each tyre costs at the Dealer? Rs 30,340 inclusive of all taxes. Don't believe me? Call up your nearest dealer, ask to be connected to the Store & check (provided they have it in stock).
Quote:
Actually I forgot these are custom handmade tires supplied only to Toyota Fortuner and Rolls Royce..
Also, your tone is bordering on offensive, right from your first post so this is a request to you to try & speak in a civilized tone if possible.

And, just out of curiosity, what is preventing you from getting a quote from the Toyota parts dept yourself? Just to put the matter to bed, so to speak?

Last edited by suman : 9th October 2009 at 09:27.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if you add 500% import duty, it will not be 40K a tire.
We can add that 500% duty if that is what is payable. This duty is not applicable at all on tyres. If my information is correct, most car and SUV tyres are imported from China, Korea, and Thailand. India has FTAs with many countries, and duties in such cases is lower than the basic duty of 10%. Thus, is this 500% from the hat (so to say), applicable on this specific tyre, or for that matter, applicable at all on any imports into India.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:50   #51
BANNED

hi i think the best option here is send a fax

hi
i think u should first send a fax to toyota directly and ask for a quote offical quotation
for my experince dealer some time say higher prices to increase there profits
so best option is to contact toyota directly
i will tell a smale story
i want buy one batter cr20032 for some project
i want original battery panasonic i contact many dealer
and give me price like 40 rupess to 20 ruppees
for 1000
but i check they all were offering me fake
at last i contact panasonic directly with offical letter head and company document
u wont beleive the price they were selling was 5 ruppes
and was from direct panasonic
so
lesson learned
sometime contact manufacurer direct is a better option
narry
Old 9th October 2009, 12:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

My 215 16 Yokos came stock on my camry and when i asked for the replacement of the tyre through the dealer he was asking me 10k per tyre.
i Got the same tyre outside @ 6k appox.
Old 9th October 2009, 12:45   #53
BHPian

hi,

i checked with lanson toyota , chennai. the dunlops indeed cost rs 40,000 and the Bs around 9000. the reason being dunlops are imported. But they should be ordered whereas the Bs are available off the shelf.
Old 9th October 2009, 19:38   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, there's some light at the end of the tunnel:

1. Customers can always upgrade from the showroom itself. This is what I'd do.

2. Dealers are selling only Bridgestone replacements. 10 grand is reasonable.

3. Future batches will come with Bridgestone as OE. Not only does this benefit customers (9 - 10K per tyre), but also Toyota (local sourcing = cheaper than import).
Old 9th October 2009, 22:35   #55
BHPian

but the question still remains!! why 40k for a single tyre? If Toyota can price BS at 10k and withdraw Dunlop from stock, then I dont see a scenario where Toyota is trying to milk its customers. Does tyre import really attract high duties?
Old 9th October 2009, 23:21   #56
BHPian

Common guys, Toyota manageement is not that crazy, why would they just spend 2lacs just on tires ? Even if those dunlops costs 40k each, don't u think they will put a cheaper tire ( I mean somthing which costs around 10k ) and keep the profit with them?

The car manufactures' negotiate with their vendors to a great extend and they will always go for the cheaper options (with bare minimum quality). I would have believed this thread if it was 'Bentley' Fortuner. Unfortunately what we got is a 'Toyota' Fortuner.

Sorry..

Raneesh
Old 10th October 2009, 14:32   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, there's some light at the end of the tunnel:

1. Customers can always upgrade from the showroom itself. This is what I'd do.

2. Dealers are selling only Bridgestone replacements. 10 grand is reasonable.

3. Future batches will come with Bridgestone as OE. Not only does this benefit customers (9 - 10K per tyre), but also Toyota (local sourcing = cheaper than import).
GTO, the Bridgestones are also imported.

This is one of the many reasons I'm anti Bridgestone(even though we need to sell them! )

BS dont make too many sizes of SUV tyres in India. The Dueler tyres they make are only in 2-3 sizes. 215/75 R15(Sumo), 235/75R15(Old Scorpio, Bolero, etc) and 235/70 R16(scorpio, Safari, etc).

Everything else is imported. The sad part is they are old stock. Not old as in 6-10 months but 2-3 years old! They actually sell these tyres at full price sometimes and at other times at 30% discount to clear their stock, thus putting people's lives at risk.

Nissan X Trail and old CRV comes with 215/65 R16 BS Dueler tyres. If one set gets worn out, youcant get BS. You have to look for options in other sizes. That isnt a problem but some dealers(or technicians at the Authorised Service Centre) insist that the customer use only BS. In this case, they are forced to pay through their nose for old stock BS. And the worst part is, this Bridgestone isnt even the OEM model. It is some random tyre which was rotting in another country so, they dump it in India.

Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, Bridgestones will also be imported and for all you know, they might be old stock. I dont want to pass judgement on that right now without seeing the tyres, but I'm a little wary.

Last edited by Nikhilb2008 : 10th October 2009 at 14:33.
Old 10th October 2009, 18:05   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
GTO, the Bridgestones are also imported.
So the price is so much cheaper due to a tyre manufacturer importing directly (volumes, ability to source cheap) than Toyota doing so?

Quote:
but 2-3 years old!
That's dangerous! Anyone buying tyres would be well-advised to check the manufacturing date.

This thread has been an eye-opener. Thanks Suman (and everyone who replied).
Old 10th October 2009, 18:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

I reckon Toyota paid 4,000 bucks each for these Dunlop tyres.
Old 10th October 2009, 18:44   #60
BHPian

I do not think that Toyota would be even paying market price for these tyres, leave 40K.It is anybody's guess that a car manufacturer always has upper hand compared to the Tyre manufacturer.They will be buying the tyres at much lesser than their market value.The price of Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 is only $122 for 265/65 R-17 as per
Dunlop Tires at The Tire Rack: Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 265/65-17 Tire: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag
In that case if toyota manages even a 20 percent discount , the price will be sub 100 $ which is only Rs 5000 per tyre.Even if u add a 100 Percent duty on this tyre, the price will be less than 10K per tyre.IMHO the pricing could be for a set of 4 or 5 tyres after import duties.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 10th October 2009 at 18:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks