Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Have you had Issues with your Michelin tyres?
Yes (Bulges, premature tyre wear, frequent punctures etc) 50 17.12%
No. They're quite problem free 242 82.88%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 21:48   #151
BHPian

Re: Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote)

Update after 25,000 of driving Michelin Primacy LC:
1. 20000 kms done on SX4
2. 5000 kms done on CIVIC (A-Drives were swapped to SX4)
3. Tyre is almost 2.5 years old
4. There has been only one tyre with 4 punctures. The same tyre seemed to have affinity to punctures (or may be just luck)
5. Tyres have lost suppleness at this age. Road noise in not there, but I am able to feel the road undulations. The tread is in a very good condition (I cannot predict the remaining life, but will discard in next one year due to age factor, irrespective of life left). So, I can attest for minimum of 35,000 kms as others can said (Actually it should be much better). The tyre required more effort this tyre to plug the puncture (Harder now to push the rubber strip). The tyres have started to kick-in ABS early as compared to similar conditions before (loose sand over road)
6. A close inspection of tyre (while wheel balancing), I saw several nicks/cuts on sidewall surface, but they were all cosmetic.

205/60 R15 was a comfortable option in 6.5J alloys. When put in 6J, I observed relative discomfort.

My next tyre will be a Michelin for sure. Tried entry level A-drive on SX4, does not come close. Though I had trouble free 25000 kms (which may be less by standards), that duration has been a bliss for me.
Old 4th February 2013, 22:21   #152
BHPian

I have used Michelin's thrice and here's my take:

Santro - Michelin XM1 (IIRC) - 40000 Kms, no bulge, 1 puncture, great ride comfort compared to Bridgestone's (120+ frequent runs)
Swift - Michelin XM1+ - 30000 Kms, still about 10-15k life was left when the car got sold, no punctures/ complaints (120+ frequent runs)
City - Michelin Primacy LC - 7000 Kms so far and no complaints, touché' (140+ a few runs)

I believe that they are one of the best tyre options available provided you are a little careful around sharp potholes, kerbs etc. (which I would anyways be with any tyre as that's my only connect with the road).
Old 4th February 2013, 22:31   #153
BHPian

The OE tyres of my Logan were 185/70/14 JK Vectras. I primarily drive on Highways and very less inside the city of Chennai. The Vectras lasted for 52400 kms which shocked the tyre shop guys. Tyre noise was too much after 20k kms.

I switched over to Michelin Energy XM1+ tyres and what a difference it has been. Tyre noise became non existent and I started hearing the engine hum and the stereo became more pleasant.

As of now the XM1+'s have done around 57,600 kms and I believe are still good for another 5 thousand or so kms. Still have another 2 mm before the TWI mark. The traction is still good on them and the tyre noise has increased slightly.

Definitely plan to upgrade to XM2 when the need arises.

I voted "No".
Old 7th February 2013, 00:33   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil.nayak View Post
Champ, I was considering the Primacy but baulked at the price. How much did you pay for yours?
Rs 5600 was the asking price per tyre. I exchanged my stock MRF ZVTV for which I got Rs 3000 each,so effectively I paid Rs 10,400 for a set of 4 Michelin PLCs.

Really awesome tyres,with soft cushion-y kind of feel,but am still extremely cautious on bad patches of tarmac.
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 11:30   #155
Senior - BHPian

I just changed the MXV8 tyres on my Lancer after 4.5 years and 56k km. It was good to go for another 10-15k km by tread depth and general condition, but had become noisy and somewhat harder. Since I do highway drives and also night drives, I follow the 5 year, 50k-60k thumb rule.
All that happened were 2 punctures over the entire period (well after 40k km), and in both cases, there was no air leak - only found out at wheel balancing time. 2 weeks back, one tyre did develop a bulge, after I landed in a horrible pothole that bent the right front rim.
If I could have bought MXV8, I would buy again without a second thought.
Old 5th March 2013, 21:07   #156
BHPian

I had Pirelli City net All weather 175/80 R14 on My Palio adventure as stock tires.
I got them replaced with Michelin XM1+ 195/70 R14, 2 years back
Positive w.r.t to Stock ones are
1) Way too silent than City net
2) Much better grip, and better braking, and this was the prime reason why I went for them.
3) Better mileage, I have clocked 55K on them, whereas Pirelli City Net got wornout in 32K itself.

Negatives of them w.r.t Pirelli City net are
1) Too many punctures on all tires, I have atleast 3-4 punctures per tire, and several times the earlier punctures didnt held. In fact as of now in one tire I am using a tube. Whereas I never got even a single puncture on my Pirellis(road and tracks are still same).
2) Just doesn't hold any grip on loose gravel or in muddy slush, and jsut surrnders in spinning without giving a try. Mostly its becuase of tread pattern, or say its high way tire opposed to Pirelli citynet. But still I feel its way too less even for a highway tire. I miss the grip of Pirellis on such terrains.

Now I have to replace tires and somehow not all convinced as last time to again for XM series. I have seen XM2 at a delaership, and read the reviews on forum too. I have few apprehnsion about XM2.

1) The middle tread pattern has slight cuts which are not till the entire depth of the usable rubber, wheras other such cuts are grooved till entire depth of usable tire rubber, so this means the tire is certainly going to behave differently once they reach that level, probably reduced grip level.
2) Surpisngly haven't seen any other user having issues with No of punctures on XM series, but I have been troubled too much by them, and looking for some alternate wherein its not that prone to punctures.
3) Grip in loose gravel and mud. I know these are highway tires, but still I dont want to feel all skidding in such surfaces.

I am not able to conclude as of now on whether to go ahead with Xm2 or not, have heard form delaers that Michelin have made them with a bit harder compound, but dont know whether its on the tread or on sidewall sides, and how considerable is it.
As an alternate I am also exploring Bridgestone potenza RE88. Yokohama A drive are ruled out as they have much softer compound and a history of sidewall issues. Asie there are very less options in 195/70/R 14 in Michelin, Yokohama, pirelli or continental.

Last edited by hrsraghav : 5th March 2013 at 21:13.
Old 12th March 2013, 21:20   #157
BHPian

We used a pair of XM1s on our Santro once and they lasted approximately 18k kms/1 year. (That was the year we drove our Santro quite a lot, but mostly on the highways; the Linea took over from the next year). Though they did their duty on the front wheels alone, 18k is too early for tyre replacement. I've been unable to convince my dad to go in for Michelins since. The Santro got a new set of Bridgestones (same as OEMs, I gather) and the Linea recently got a set of Bridgestone Ecopias.
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 14:33   #158
Senior - BHPian

My Swift VDI came shod with JK Tornadoes from the factory. Used them for a good 69600 Odd Kms. They still had some life left in them but was forced to upgrade to Michelin XM1+. The car has now clocked a good 127000 Kms.
Must say that the Michelins have been very good, they offered me better grip in turnings. They were pretty silent during the initial 20-30K Kms but now they are a bit noisy. They hardly squealed whilst taking turns at triple digits but now I can hear them searching for grip.
Punctures have been low considering the fact that I have had to use the strip thrice.

Overall a very decent set of tires and will prefer Michelin when they are due.

Do not use Nitrogen but instead use the regular Air.
Old 20th April 2013, 15:14   #159
BHPian

My honda city went for its 20k km servicing.

The biggest issues was the almost worn out condition of both the front tires.I noticed this problem 2 weeks back, my driver dint notice this, even though the car is with him 95% of the time
According to Honda they had done the usual wheel rotation and balancing at 10k km servicing.But i am surprised why the front tires are in this condition even after tyre rotation.The rear tires seem fine and looks good to go another 20k+ km.

Honda have sent the pictures of both the tires to Michelin for replacement.lets see how long they take.

The car has been driven 20k km in 7.5 months. Is this tyre condition due to a defect( i doubt) or too much driving in a short time or Honda has not done the tyre rotation..

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote)-honda.jpg  

Michelin Tyre Woes: Fact or Fiction? (Michelin users please vote)-20130420_144832_90.jpg  

Old 20th April 2013, 16:13   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post

The biggest issues was the almost worn out condition of both the front tires.I noticed this problem 2 weeks back, my driver dint notice this, even though the car is with him 95% of the time
According to Honda they had done the usual wheel rotation and balancing at 10k km servicing.But i am surprised why the front tires are in this condition even after tyre rotation.The rear tires seem fine and looks good to go another 20k+ km.

Honda have sent the pictures of both the tires to Michelin for replacement.lets see how long they take.

The car has been driven 20k km in 7.5 months. Is this tyre condition due to a defect( i doubt) or too much driving in a short time or Honda has not done the tyre rotation..

Thanks
The problem is not tyre rotation, it's the alignment that must have gone terribly wrong. And ten thousand kms between alignment balancing is way too high for our road conditions. Get the alignment checked first
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2013, 01:26   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post

Thanks
There is something wrong (major) with your alignment, i guess. I have XM1+ too on my ride done 20k kms and still, i guess they are good for another 40-50k kms. I do alignment and rotation at every 7.5k kms.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 12:56   #162
BHPian

I used Michelin as a replacement for the stock Bridgestones on my 2007 Corolla which lasted for about 35K Kms. Since the spare tyre was barely used (in spite of my telling, the driver would only get 4 tyres rotated or the Toyota folks were lazy) had replaced only 4 tyres which lasted till about 97K - one tyre vendor suggested that I could get another 5K - but I felt that the tyre tread depth was down and wanted to change and punctures were regular - at least once a month.

There were some nicks on the side-wall (blame the drivers carelessness I guess) and the rubber became hard.

Two months ago while replacing the tyres (this time around I replaced all the 5 tyres) I considered Yokos, but went for Primacy LC once again. I am hoping that they should last at least for 75K.

I do about 120 KM expressway running every week with about 10 KM kuchha road.

Even with the new tyres I got one puncture on each on two tyres in the last two months.

I get wheel alignment and tyre rotation done every 5K KMs.

I like the low tyre noise and the grip of the tyres.
Old 30th April 2013, 13:42   #163
Senior - BHPian

I've used XM1+ 185/70 R14 from day one on my swift diesel. They've clocked 55k kms so far and look good for at least another 10k kms.

Have driven over roads in Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Rajasthan's super smooth tarmac as well as Spiti Lahaul circuit (one of the worst roads imaginable) with no sidewall damage and 5-6 punctures in total over the last 3 years.

Will definitely buy Michelin again.
Old 12th September 2014, 19:53   #164
BHPian

Update on 30,000 kms on Michelin Primacy LC:-

1. Replaced OE Michelin XM1 on my Honda City iVtec
2. No punctures till date, no bulges
3. Very low road noise
4. Very good grip
5. Tread looks good for another 15k atleast

Would ONLY buy Michelins going forward.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks