Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2016, 01:48   #181
BHPian

Re: A few questions I need answers to. Any help will do !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj sulz View Post

As for the noise , I haven't put my stock tyres on and checked. Maybe I should do that. When I out these wheels the tyre place sold me lug nuts to fit these particular wheels. And very honestly I haven't checked to see if they are the cause. But I definitely will now that u mentioned it. Thanks a lot

Btw , the sound from my past experience definitely sounded like the low arms gave way. That's why I went with it and got them changed. But problem not solved. So frustrated and annoyed with the damn sound !!
One of the causes for the sound would be a bend on the steering rack. My Polo had a rattling sound from the front end and we eventually changed the steering column to get it resolved.
As you have tried changing the lower arms and the suspension mounts checking the steering column would be worth it.

Since the car is out of warrantty you could use the help of a friendly garage or even bosch service centre so that you can get the root cause of the issue.
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 19:22   #182
Senior - BHPian

Which Stock Size Tyres for Polo Highline?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2011 Polo 1.6 running on the factory provided JK Vectra 185/60/R15 tyres. I am not sure why I did not get the Apollo Aceleres that I used to see on other cars at that time.

Anyway, I have now done almost 60k kms on these tyres till date and even though I have been told that they are still in good condition by the VW authorised service centre, I do believe that after 04 years a change is required soon. My initial plan was to upsize the rims and tyres to 16" but after going through a couple of posts, I think it would be wise to stick to the stock size for our Indian roads.

So I have found out that the 185/60/R15 size comes in the following:

1. JK Vectra
2. Apollo ALNAC
3. Michelin Energy XM2
4. Bridgestone Ecopia EP150, Turanza ER-300, B 290 and B 250
5. Goodyear Assurance and DP Series
6. Continental Comfort Contact CC5

I want better grip in wet and dry conditions and of course a silent drive.

Please help and recommend accordingly.
Old 13th April 2016, 14:00   #183
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Stock Size Tyres for Polo Highline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

Hello everyone,

I have a 2011 Polo 1.6 running on the factory provided JK Vectra 185/60/R15 tyres.

I have now done almost 60k kms on these tyres till date
All due respect to your decision Epic on retaining the OEM rubber but, just like your TBHP handle, this is just epic.

60k kms in over 4 years on the same rubber !!!

From what little I know, tires usually start loosing their tread/grip levels between 45-50k Kms. So, IMO its surely time to get some better shoes for your Polo 1.6.

Quote:
I want better grip in wet and dry conditions and of course a silent drive.

Please help and recommend accordingly.
The exact tire that will give you a better grip in both wet and dry conditions can be suggested by many experts here.

With respect to the size, personally I would recommend to either go with:

- 195/55/R15
or
- 195/60/R15

See This for more information.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 13th April 2016 at 14:01.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 16:13   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post

- 195/55/R15
or
- 195/60/R15

I think the most correct upsize sticking to the 15's is 205/55 R15. It has the least difference from the stock. 195/60 is 2% off the stock and /55 will result in a marginally lower GC with a 1.25% difference.

Epic if you are planning to stick to the stock size, I would go with the Michelins. On the 205, I am using Conti MC5's and am very happy with them.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 15:53   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All due respect to your decision Epic on retaining the OEM rubber but, just like your TBHP handle, this is just epic.

60k kms in over 4 years on the same rubber !!!

From what little I know, tires usually start loosing their tread/grip levels between 45-50k Kms. So, IMO its surely time to get some better shoes for your Polo 1.6.

The exact tire that will give you a better grip in both wet and dry conditions can be suggested by many experts here.

- 195/55/R15
or
- 195/60/R15

Hi Vik0728. I do not want to retain the current set of tires and hence written here for advice on the change. Frankly, it is truly 'epic' for these tires to have lasted so long. But there is still sufficient amount of tread and I am sure most would not bother changing tires because of this. But I know that other than tread wear, hardening of tires in time also contribute to loss of grip and hence want to change my current set.

Is there any reason you recommend an upsize (195/55/R15 / 195/60/R15)? I plan to sell the car with in two years and hence plan to keep it as stock as possible with the 185/60/R15 size. Waiting for experts to suggest the best option in the stock size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
I think the most correct upsize sticking to the 15's is 205/55 R15. It has the least difference from the stock. 195/60 is 2% off the stock and /55 will result in a marginally lower GC with a 1.25% difference.

Epic if you are planning to stick to the stock size, I would go with the Michelins. On the 205, I am using Conti MC5's and am very happy with them.
Hi VellVector. Wouldn't the 205s be an over kill for the Polo? Will this not reduce the pick up and top speed?

Last edited by Epic : 14th April 2016 at 16:01.
Old 14th April 2016, 20:06   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Hi VellVector. Wouldn't the 205s be an over kill for the Polo? Will this not reduce the pick up and top speed?
Honestly I'm not sure. I changed the tires the day I bought the car. I've not felt any difference in pick up compared to my friend's stock rubber, if anything my car always gets off the line faster. Also I've done some pretty high speeds with it so no complaints.

The main reason I went wider was because I wanted a heavier feel in the wheel which I got. For me the car is just a city cruiser, I don't use it for anything other than ripping around inside Bangalore (so top speed has never been a issue). For both my daily drive and highway trips, I have two bigger cars.

Either way I'm very happy with the upsize. If you are going to upsize I would recommend the 205 not the 195 because of the difference being lesser.
Old 14th April 2016, 20:18   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Vik0728. Is there any reason you recommend an upsize (195/55/R15 / 195/60/R15)?
Actually Epic, I can give you 3:

1. Since you have the 1.6 MPI Polo, I think with your kind of running mileage is quite important to you. So 195 section gives you a good balance between grip & performance, without a huge variation in mileage.

2. I had no clue that you would keep your car for 2 more years, but I surely could guess the fact that you don't like messing a lot with OEM settings. So 195 not only keeps it that way but also is much cheaper than 205 section rubber.

3. 205 section are available across lesser brands compared to 195 sections. So you will have lot many choices at your disposal.
Old 15th April 2016, 11:56   #188
BHPian

Quote:
3. 205 section are available across lesser brands compared to 195 sections. So you will have lot many choices at your disposal.
Very true. AFAIK there are only some 4-5 options in 205/55 and they are reasonably expensive.
Old 15th April 2016, 16:42   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually Epic, I can give you 3:

1. Since you have the 1.6 MPI Polo, I think with your kind of running mileage is quite important to you. So 195 section gives you a good balance between grip & performance, without a huge variation in mileage.

2. I had no clue that you would keep your car for 2 more years, but I surely could guess the fact that you don't like messing a lot with OEM settings. So 195 not only keeps it that way but also is much cheaper than 205 section rubber.

Frankly mileage is not really an issue. I was asking this question for my information. I had a Swift before this and ran it on 205/55/R15 rims and S-Drives. I remember finding the car slower than before. But then I guess this was probably due to the lesser 88 bhp power and 113 Nm torque.

None the less, I think I will go for the 205/55/R15 for the Polo too.

Quote:
Very true. AFAIK there are only some 4-5 options in 205/55 and they are reasonably expensive.
I believe the only worthy ones are the Yokohama S-Drives and Continental CC5.
Old 15th April 2016, 20:26   #190
BHPian

Quote:
I believe the only worthy ones are the Yokohama S-Drives and Continental CC5.
Not sure about CC5, but I have the Max Contact (MC)5 on my car and like I said before I'm very happy. Most people I know did not recommend the S drives in this size.
Old 16th April 2016, 13:08   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about CC5, but I have the Max Contact (MC)5 on my car and like I said before I'm very happy. Most people I know did not recommend the S drives in this size.
Yes many have not recommended the S-Drives to me too in the size of 205/55/R15.

So if I do go with this size I have two choices with Continental - Continental Max Contact (MC5) and Continental Premium Contact 2.

I guess the difference between the two is that the CPC2 is more performance oriented and the MC5 is more comfort oriented.
Old 18th April 2016, 12:48   #192
BHPian

Quote:
So if I do go with this size I have two choices with Continental - Continental Max Contact (MC5) and Continental Premium Contact 2.

I guess the difference between the two is that the CPC2 is more performance oriented and the MC5 is more comfort oriented.
I think they are both a similar mix of comfort and performance. AFAIK CPC2 is no longer being produced or at least it is not officially available in India, so usually the tires which are available are old stock. You might have to clarify the same with a dealer.
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:26   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes many have not recommended the S-Drives to me too in the size of 205/55/R15.

Do not bother with 205/55-15. I personally find 195/60-15 to the best compromise with ride comfort and ground clearance and better grip.

You get lots of options like Continental MC5, Michelin P3ST, Apollo Alnac, Yokohama Earth 1, etc... Go through the corresponding threads to understand the benefits of each and take a call.
Old 22nd April 2016, 18:50   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Do not bother with 205/55-15. I personally find 195/60-15 to the best compromise with ride comfort and ground clearance and better grip.

You get lots of options like Continental MC5, Michelin P3ST, Apollo Alnac, Yokohama Earth 1, etc... Go through the corresponding threads to understand the benefits of each and take a call.
Isn't the rolling radius of the 205/55/R15 size closest to OEM as compared to the 195/60/R15?

The 205/55 have an error of only 0.58% as compared to the 1.99% error on the 195/60. May not be a big deal but just saying.
Old 23rd April 2016, 15:49   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the rolling radius of the 205/55/R15 size closest to OEM as compared to the 195/60/R15?

The 205/55 have an error of only 0.58% as compared to the 1.99% error on the 195/60. May not be a big deal but just saying.
Theoretical world vs the Real World.

Numbers and %ages vs Potholes, speed breakers and Indian roads.

You are not wrong, but I am right.

You take a call!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks