Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2010, 01:15   #3061
Senior - BHPian

I some how not convinced in scrapping the car. If so then guys I am for tail lamp, rear number plate and its lights (if aluminium), front grille. Shyam please pa. How about the Engine guys any takers. Doors, door handles are another valuable commodity. I know who need the rims. Shyam check out if it has the elongated pipe horn.

Not to forget WISHING YOU ALL THE VERY BEST OF LUCK (Bala Style) for your exams Standard guru.
Old 20th May 2010, 08:33   #3062
Senior - BHPian

This car seems to have some body trims intact such as roof gutter trims along with front and rear adjoining gutter trims. So they can be of use to someone who is looking for it.
Old 20th May 2010, 10:19   #3063
Senior - BHPian

Infact this car has lot more to give in terms of body parts. I see it can become a good donor car if anyone is looking for a complete body. Are the meter correct for this car? it is from a Delight I feel and she is super select was there a transfer of meter happened to this car. I see the switch below the meter which is again valuable.
Old 20th May 2010, 10:22   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post

But don't forget that these are cars are their source of livelihood.!
Yes but if this guy put in a bit more effort, scrounged around for parts, and put the cars together imagine how much he would make selling them instead of breaking them all ?
Old 20th May 2010, 11:50   #3065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
This car seems to have some body trims intact such as roof gutter trims along with front and rear adjoining gutter trims. So they can be of use to someone who is looking for it.
Hey I missed to see that,

Shyam /Shiva can you please add the below windshield trims in my list (in case they are still available) which is the air box assembly (fresh air intake) & the Meter cover with the toggle switches.

Last edited by manishalive : 20th May 2010 at 11:51.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:13   #3066
Senior - BHPian

Manish bhai i think you must get the outer door handles too added to the list. I think 2 of them can be used as replacement parts. Benefit from this car as much as you can because we know the condition of your car.

Edit: Shyam if possible do get the temperature meter along with the wire for me.

Last edited by samsag12 : 20th May 2010 at 12:23.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:45   #3067
BHPian

tragic to see some of these old beauties ignored and let to waste! and then again it is a joy to restore and maintain
Old 20th May 2010, 14:21   #3068
BHPian

some pics from the scrap yard
Attached Thumbnails
Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20100520_008.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20100520_011.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20100520_018.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20100520_019.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20100520_020.jpg  

Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars-20100520_021.jpg  

Old 20th May 2010, 18:07   #3069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I managed to get the all the more rare side gutter trims and 2 of the front ones. 'couldnt salvage the rear one unfortunately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Infact this car has lot more to give in terms of body parts. I see it can become a good donor car if anyone is looking for a complete body. Are the meter correct for this car? it is from a Delight I feel and she is super select was there a transfer of meter happened to this car. I see the switch below the meter which is again valuable.
The car did, as you say, become a donor for body parts- atleast the doors, for one of our fellow tbhpians!
Yes, meters are from a late 60s delight. This car was a 1959 SELECT, predecessor of Super-select.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Shyam /Shiva can you please add the below windshield trims in my list (in case they are still available) which is the air box assembly (fresh air intake) & the Meter cover with the toggle switches.
I did get you atleast 2 of the front trims and meter console with switches! So not to worry.

'didnt find any air box in it though.

Quote:
Manish bhai i think you must get the outer door handles too added to the list. I think 2 of them can be used as replacement parts.Edit: Shyam if possible do get the temperature meter along with the wire for me.
The handles are all broken, except for the driver's door one, which is an aftermarket S.steel one! Temp meter is obtained, no wire though I think. 'need to check later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
some pics from the scrap yard
Thanks for posting the pics. super-quick, shiva!

Well, as you said, the end of yet another 1100!

I might add that the brake drums from this car are all original, in case someone's interested do let me/shiva know ASAP!

The amby mk2 just came in, although not yet to be broken (he said there are customers expected for it)....'thought the grille and tail-lamps would be useful for jeepster, who's restoring a similar amby, hence asked shiva for the pic.
I'm taking the headlights should this car too be broken.

Back to my exam prep. now!

Last edited by Stanher : 20th May 2010 at 18:10.
Old 21st May 2010, 01:26   #3070
Senior - BHPian

One sight of the pictures of the car tumbled on the side brought tears in me. Sad to see a beauty die, though gave few goodies to remember her on other cars. I can't take anymore. Hope Amby gets a new home (god please). I was sending sms to all people who I know to save her but went in vain. Shyam I should say you have a bold heart had it been me don't know how I would have reacted.

I personally thank all the people who have been saving the beauties and appreciate the efforts. May success come across you all the way.

Thanks

Bala
Old 21st May 2010, 01:37   #3071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Yes but if this guy put in a bit more effort, scrounged around for parts, and put the cars together imagine how much he would make selling them instead of breaking them all ?
Bright Idea Wasif ! but these guys neither have patience or perseverance. These folks think commercial, quick money. And again having said that if they do so where would we be getting the parts we require? so we need to make the most of it.

I appeal all the car owners to grab as many parts though you feel not required now but might be a necassity one day. How about the Brake Oil tub, side fenders ( I am aware they are not with original headlamp wells), bonnet, dicky.

Shyam did you happen to see any wiper motor it might be there as it is inside the body, It may be over expectation from me
Old 21st May 2010, 02:45   #3072
BHPian

Well breaking these cars provides us with used deteriorated parts. If all these cars had survived then probably we would have a reproduction parts industry like the US and we would have new high quality parts like they have for their gm cars and ,mopars and all. So scrapping them isnt a good idea! period!!

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 21st May 2010 at 02:46.
Old 21st May 2010, 08:29   #3073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Well breaking these cars provides us with used deteriorated parts. If all these cars had survived then probably we would have a reproduction parts industry like the US and we would have new high quality parts like they have for their gm cars and ,mopars and all. So scrapping them isnt a good idea! period!!
Very true sir. A best example of this can be seen in India only where Padmini's still pry as taxi in Mumbai. Some local manufacturers still produce parts for the car till date, may be not the best quality,but one can find wear and tear parts easily today. Imagine padmini wasn't used as taxi then we would have been starving for parts from the past decade or so just as many classic owners experience it today.(eg. standard, Morris et al). Just IMO
Old 21st May 2010, 15:28   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very true sir. A best example of this can be seen in India only where Padmini's still pry as taxi in Mumbai. Some local manufacturers still produce parts for the car till date, may be not the best quality,but one can find wear and tear parts easily today. Imagine padmini wasn't used as taxi then we would have been starving for parts from the past decade or so just as many classic owners experience it today.(eg. standard, Morris et al). Just IMO
Well the Irony is that for Our Fiat's there are not many clubs and finding parts is real difficult. For many of the cars there are many active clubs which provide us with good quality parts . For Fiat's we have to make do with what ever is available and only upto the it's available.
Old 21st May 2010, 15:32   #3075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shyam I should say you have a bold heart had it been me don't know how I would have reacted.
Thanks bala! Well, not sure bout bold heart...I'll just say I got used to this! :|

Quote:
Bright Idea Wasif ! but these guys neither have patience or perseverance. These folks think commercial, quick money. And again having said that if they do so where would we be getting the parts we require? so we need to make the most of it.
The bright side is that we could still be assured of parts...and I'm sure we sure couldnt save all of them. Especially when none else is interested to, even if we are. But the good ones atleast deserve to be saved.

Quote:
I appeal all the car owners to grab as many parts though you feel not required now but might be a necassity one day. How about the Brake Oil tub, side fenders ( I am aware they are not with original headlamp wells), bonnet, dicky.
Same here! I'm running out space to store all the parts I salvage!

The parts you mention would have been scrapped by now I'm afraid!

Quote:
Shyam did you happen to see any wiper motor it might be there as it is inside the body, It may be over expectation from me
Yup, it is with me now, although I was told it wasnt working. I hoped it may be redeemable so picked it up. You can take a peek at it when we meet next (tomorrow ok?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Not all the parts would be deteriorated. I've managed to get good parts off some cars too in the past.

I'm not sure about the repro parts industry though- even with cars currently still in the market, we have the poorest quality repros in the market! Even by Indian standards!
The US etc. have high quality parts because of their laws that are more stringent with respect to quality control etc. even for out of production parts.
Failing which it is even always possible for the customer to sue there...!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks