Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 21:22   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Does anybody remember the teardrop/airfoil (?) Bentley in Pune, ex Mysore car, which was with one Mr Apte I think. It had made an appearence a few years back in all the newspapers when he won a prize at an event in the UK, where he had taken the car for restoration. Apparently the car never came back. Sigh.

Also Pune is rumoured to still house the Akkalkot Bentley. I vaguely recall seeing a picture of it, a red fairly early convertible.
Was Mr. Apte the cricketeer ? I do have a picture of the ex-Mysore car in England....do not believe it was an Aerofil (may be a teardrop if I remember). I will check when I get home tonight.
I believe that Jodhpur may have had an Aerofil ( there should be a picture in Automobiles of the Maharajas)
Old 8th July 2008, 21:36   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does anybody remember the teardrop/airfoil (?) Bentley in Pune, ex Mysore car, which was with one Mr Apte I think. It had made an appearence a few years back in all the newspapers when he won a prize at an event in the UK, where he had taken the car for restoration. Apparently the car never came back. Sigh.

Also Pune is rumoured to still house the Akkalkot Bentley. I vaguely recall seeing a picture of it, a red fairly early convertible.

karlos, found the Apte / Mysore Bentley:

(credits to: www.veloce.co.uk)
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Bentleys in India-mysore-bentley-history.jpg  

travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2008, 00:25   #78
BHPian

Karl, have seen the Akkalkot car when they brought it over a decade ago, it was a red convertable and was really loud. This is when they used to live where the current DSK Toyota dealership is currently (Model Colony) they later moved to Aundh, can get you details if you are interested.
Old 9th July 2008, 02:41   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
Karl, have seen the Akkalkot car when they brought it over a decade ago, it was a red convertable and was really loud.
Hi Pune_Bike,
It should have been very quiet, maybe the exhaust was leaking badly.

Does anyone have any photos of the Delhi based Oberoi owned maroon Derby 4 1/4 Bentley tourer that used to appear in many Statesman rallies in the 80s and 90s? It was kept in Bijwasan where I worked for 10 years but I don't have any photos, lovely car.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:45   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
Karl, have seen the Akkalkot car when they brought it over a decade ago, it was a red convertable and was really loud. This is when they used to live where the current DSK Toyota dealership is currently (Model Colony) they later moved to Aundh, can get you details if you are interested.
Oh really? Some pics would be great. And a sneak peek look at the car would be fantastic!
Old 9th July 2008, 20:46   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more info and pictures on the Apte Bentley, again thanks to Harit.

Quote:
Apte brothers were businessmen, remember Swastik detergent soap? This was the leading detergent brand in the 1960's till the beginning of 1970's. They owned it. The Bentley tear drop was from the Mysore stable and then came to Mumbai. Attached please find the photo as she was in Mumbai. It was kept in a long garage on Peddar road and whenever she was parked first, I could see her from my home. In this garage there was another Bentley and a smaller black Rolls. Later there was a 2 seater Opel. All have been sold, I will post pics soon. Apte had a brother staying in London and he took the car for 'restoration'. Later it was sold off. The car went legally, around the mid 1980's. Later they sold this car. The pic posted earlier shows the car in UK after restoration. This was a Mumbai car, not Pune. While searching for this pic I found a number of Bentley pics, shall post by Friday.
I cant imagine this car going to the UK for "restoration" in the 80s. Assuming these pictures are earliest from the 70s, how much could the car have deteriorated?! Oh well. And I much prefer the original combo to the current.
And yes Harit, this was a Mumbai car. The Pune car I spoke of earlier is the Akkalkot car, apparently still present.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Bentleys in India-bent-1.jpg  

Classic Bentleys in India-bent-2.jpg  

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th July 2008 at 20:47.
Old 10th July 2008, 14:45   #82
BHPian

Fantastic! Elegant and great presence. Looks much better in original colour than restored two tone.
Who was the bodybuilder for this car? and would look forward to some interior shots if there are any.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:33   #83
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Who was the bodybuilder for this car? and would look forward to some interior shots if there are any.
If you read the fine print in the article this car B 214 EY was one of four built by James Young along with two other Teardrop Bentleys built by Gurney Nutting adding up to a total of only six of these type ever built.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:40   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Along the lines of Aptes car, here's something interesting.

This photo appears in 1001 Images of cars by Jerome Bureau. It is interesting to note the regn is BYH 2829, which dates to Poona mid 50s. the backdrop appears to be India. I wonder if the car is still here. I assume it too was ex Mysore. The book mentions the car as only 1949 Bentley.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Bentleys in India-1.jpg  

Old 10th July 2008, 23:38   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Along the lines of Aptes car, here's something interesting.

This photo appears in 1001 Images of cars by Jerome Bureau. It is interesting to note the regn is BYH 2829, which dates to Poona mid 50s. the backdrop appears to be India. I wonder if the car is still here. I assume it too was ex Mysore. The book mentions the car as only 1949 Bentley.
I think this is B47EW Hooper SDV Mysore here's a photo of it elsewhere, unfortunately..
Classic Bentleys in India-b47ew-hooper-sdv-mysore.jpg
Old 11th July 2008, 13:50   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
I think this is B47EW Hooper SDV Mysore here's a photo of it elsewhere, unfortunately..
Attachment 28090
Hmm, it certainly does look like the same car, down to the badges up front. Any idea how long back the car went? I was led to believe the car made an appearence at a Bombay rally some 6-7 years back.
Old 11th July 2008, 14:08   #87
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Would those be Marchal Aerolux headlamps Julian? They look quite like the ones on the 38 I was restoring
Old 11th July 2008, 14:30   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Would those be Marchal Aerolux headlamps Julian? They look quite like the ones on the 38 I was restoring
You mean the Packard? I cant even picture a Packard with that style of light. I figured they would be more like the ones on your other cars, body coloured.
Old 11th July 2008, 14:33   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean the Packard? I cant even picture a Packard with that style of light. I figured they would be more like the ones on your other cars, body coloured.
Some countries in Europe mandated cars to have different spec lights which explains many Packards in Europe with Marchal Aerolux headlamps like what you see on the Bentley. The 38 I had had a similar pair although I think the previous owner just upgraded to those. I have however seen many Packard pictures with the same identical lamps.
Old 11th July 2008, 14:36   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Some countries in Europe mandated cars to have different spec lights which explains many Packards in Europe with Marchal Aerolux headlamps like what you see on the Bentley. The 38 I had had a similar pair although I think the previous owner just upgraded to those. I have however seen many Packard pictures with the same identical lamps.
I see. Forgive my ignorance, but they also look remarkabky similar to the Lucas P 100s to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks