Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 21:11   #91
Senior - BHPian

Daimler

taken in 1997 - Was sent to Chor bazaar at kurla in 2000 told to me by the watchman
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-dscf0060.jpg  

Old 13th January 2010, 10:19   #92
Senior - BHPian

That is a nice looking Daimler, and in quiet good shape to have been sent to the Chor Bazaar.

What happened to this beauty ?
Old 13th January 2010, 10:23   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
taken in 1997 - Was sent to Chor bazaar at kurla in 2000 told to me by the watchman
And you believed him?
This car is very much alive, a royal car that in the past has been seen in Malabarhill area. Now in a shuttered garage.

Cheers harit
Old 13th January 2010, 12:27   #94
Senior - BHPian

Daimler

Thanks Harit,

Shall pursue

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
And you believed him?
This car is very much alive, a royal car that in the past has been seen in Malabarhill area. Now in a shuttered garage.

Cheers harit
Old 16th January 2010, 09:55   #95
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Royal Daimlers - Brian E Smith

I was referring to the book, "Royal Daimlers" by Brian E Smith and came across this wonder car used on the occasion of the "Delhi Durbar" in 1911 attended by His Majesty King George V.

The car in question is a Pullman limousine specially constructed by Offord & Sons, Ltd, built on a specially prepared 38 hp six-cylinder chassis having a wheel base of fourteen feet.
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-r-d-1.jpg  

Daimlers in India-rd-2.jpg  

Attached Images

KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2010, 20:13   #96
Senior - BHPian

Here is a Daimler from a prominent collection in Hyderabad. Am not sure of its age or the exact model but it was a rather large and imposing car.
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-daimler-sedan-ram-lal.jpg  

Old 7th February 2010, 14:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

A Daimler from xoticrs pics any infor on this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-12711636_fc55db.jpg  

Daimlers in India-12711635_804946.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2010, 12:19   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A "Mallinath Jain" has dropped this email:

Quote:
I have a happy “NEWS’ to you.

I, D.Veerendra Heggade, Dharmadhikari, the Head of a Religious and spiritual centre, “SRI DHARMASTHALA MANJUNATHA SWAMY TEMPLE” in Karnataka State of South India, is the owner of a “DAIMLER CAR”.

I have been collecting cars for the last 45 years.

The “DAIMLER DE-36 is still with me (Chasis Number: 51708. Hooper Body Number:9495).

As I was not aware of the contact Agency, I could not furnish this information earlier.

History of my Car Collection: In 1969, I got the information that His Highness, Maharaja of Mysore has a ‘DAIMLER’, which he desires to dispose. I purchased the car from His Highness Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar of Mysore in 1970.

It was in good running condition then and I used it rarely. Once, I travelled 600 Kilo Meters without any problem.

We are in a Coastal area, about 75 Kilo Meters away from Mangalore. It is a heavy rain fall area ( about 200 inches.)

Over the years, due to dampness in the rainy season, the interiors deteriorated and rusting also had an impact on the Car.

We started restoring the car since July, 2008. I am very happy to inform you that the whole wooden coach work was done by our expert Carpenters at Dharmasthala.

It was challenging but, with the commitment of our Mechanics and Carpenters, we could reach perfection.

We have done the wood works, few mechanical maintenance along with total apholstry work. Painted in original colours.

As the Engine and other parts are made of Aluminium, there is not much restoration required.

We had an expert consultant at Bangalore, Mr. Shripathi Bhat who was frequently visiting Dharmasthala to guide the restoration work.

In fact, through him, we collected more information about ROYAL DAIMLER written by BRAIN E-SMITH in which there is a reference in Page Number:454 as built and supplied to The order of Government of Australia for the intended Royal tour of 1949-used for the actual tour of 1953/4.

I am pleased to furnish these informations and the restoration work done here.
Old 23rd June 2010, 12:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A "Mallinath Jain" has dropped this email:

Hi GTO

thankx for that report on this car.Could you request the getleman to send you some pics of the car pre-restoration and during restoration.

Thankx
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:05   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

You can see more on this dedicated thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...rmasthala.html
Old 17th September 2010, 02:42   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Wumpletoad.
Great looking Auto!

Would it have been painted white as a factory standard colour or is the white on white paint job more recent?

As a point of interest I saw one of the most magnificent cars ever 6 years ago at RM Auctions restoration facility about 160 miles from Toronto. It was a early 30s Daimler Coupe, as big as they get, that had been shipped from England for a full restoration even thought it was in Good nick! I understand it cost about a million pounds and I would expect that the restoration cost based on 1500-2000 hrs. at $65. per hour plus materials and parts would put the cost about $140,000.

I am hoping that will turn up somewhere, sometime to see how it turned out. Are you aware of this car?

In the last ten years about three of their cars have won the big prize at Pebble Beach.[/quote]

Crikey! I see it has taken me eight months to notice and respond to this - very sorry John!

If there remains any interest in the subject, I would point out that the ash-framed, aluminium-paneled body is new; the original, a sporting type not dissimilar to that shown and designed by Joseph Mackle, caught fire in the Daimler works in 1922. This is not a replica but a style drawn by me; as I was paying for it, I thought I would have what I liked! The windscreen is anachronistic but so what?

As a point of interest, there was no factory "standard" colour (apart from the chassis which was always black) - you specified what you wanted. And there weren't that many Daimler bodies before, say,1930 anyway; almost invariably a Daimler chassis was sent to the bodybuilder of your choice who constructed whatever you wished.

I owned the car (pictured) for 25 years and brought it from the heap of scrap which had languished in a junkyard for 30 years to the "remanufactured" condition seen in the photo. New sleeves, pistons, transmission spur gears . . . . Lotsa money!

As for the Pebble Beach cars - and I feel sorry for any vehicle which ends up in that over-bulled, powder-puff world of irrelevant pretension - I suspect you are referring to the Thompson and Taylor built specials using Double Six running gear. These were wonderful cars with bodies by Corsica and a couple of other English coachbuilders of the time. Hope this helps.

Now, can I be indulged for a moment; it has been so long since I posted here that I have forgotten how to start a new thread.

I am seeking information about the later years of the Institution of British Engineers, headquartered in London. Commonwealth countries were well represented in the membership and the bulk of these were from India. Googling can find no reference to this society to which I was admitted as an Associate Member 42 years ago.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please?

Wumpletoad MInstBE.

PS Knowing how to start a new thread might be helpful too!
Old 17th September 2010, 10:40   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wumpletoad View Post
I am seeking information about the later years of the Institution of British Engineers, headquartered in London. Commonwealth countries were well represented in the membership and the bulk of these were from India.

PS Knowing how to start a new thread might be helpful too!
Hullo wumps,

The Institution of British Engineers is not known to me. However, to catch folks making a living by the micrometer screw gauge in the Commonwealth (since the vernier caliper was an American invention it doesn't qualify!!), maybe this could lead you somewhere?

Commonwealth Engineers' Council (CEC)
One Great George Street,
London SW1P 3AA, UK
Tel: (44) 20 7665 2156
Fax: (44) 20 7223 1806
E-mail: bridget.tracy@ice.org.uk
Web: www.ice.org.uk/cec

As for threads, there are ancient Egyptian learnings available, but sticking with the Commonwealth scheme of things (lest it be considered Off Topic!), I'll step aside for a more qualified person on the topic to step in.

Best,

Prabal
Old 18th September 2010, 02:58   #103

Hi, Prabal.
It seems odd that a well known institution should disappear without trace but perhaps your suggestion will be able to shed some light on the subject. I do hope I'm not !!
Thanks for your help and best wishes,

Wumps.
Old 17th February 2011, 12:29   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Daimlers in India

A rare picture of a very exotic looking Lanchester from Rewa can be seen on post #1335 here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2248166
Old 21st February 2011, 17:01   #105

Re: Daimlers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Here is a Daimler from a prominent collection in Hyderabad. Am not sure of its age or the exact model but it was a rather large and imposing car.
This Daimler now stands at Fateh Garh, Udaipur.
Attached Thumbnails
Daimlers in India-img00048201012071612.jpg  

Daimlers in India-dsc01449.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks