Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2009, 09:26   #166
BHPian

There used to be one Lambretta (Innocenti) model in my building with registration number BMY ----, which registration is this, Mumbai or Pune ???
Old 25th July 2009, 11:59   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
There used to be one Lambretta (Innocenti) model in my building with registration number BMY ----, which registration is this, Mumbai or Pune ???
All BM registrations are Bombay city. It is unlikely the scooter you mentioned was BMY registered, as it dates to around 1947. Most Lambrettas of BM series were BML or BMF.
Old 25th July 2009, 21:20   #168
BHPian

this was sent by my friend the pictures in 1946 of bangalore
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-image007.jpg  

Old 25th July 2009, 21:42   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
this was sent by my friend the pictures in 1946 of bangalore
It'd be interesting to know what colour the plate is.
Also, - this pic. is incidentally at Shivajinagar, this market being adjacent Russel's market (which is on the right) and the gujiri (scrap-market) which should be on the left.

This beef market is still there, painted dark red and white when I last saw it a couple of years ago.
Old 25th July 2009, 22:13   #170
BHPian

imperial.s.a,
Now that is an interesting photo! BAN 565 and presumably black on white. We know virtually nothing of Mysore state registrations pre partition and this helps a lot. Black on white plates were introduced in 1939 for all forms of public transport - taxis, buses and trucks. I presume this is a taxi.
Can anyone date the car? Being pre47, there is a good chance I think that this was it's original number (certainly as a taxi).
Cheers
Cedric
Old 25th July 2009, 23:53   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
I presume this is a taxi.
Can anyone date the car? Being pre47, there is a good chance I think that this was it's original number (certainly as a taxi).
It looks like a late 30s chevy.
Old 26th July 2009, 01:39   #172
Senior - BHPian

Hi Cedric,

In another lot of pics which I got recently, one car is registered KHV 193. Any clue as to where this could have been? I will also enquire.

Cheers harit
Old 26th July 2009, 11:19   #173
BHPian

Harit,
No so sure but in the 1939 list KH and a third letter is listed as Kachchh (Kutch) but I am surprised if there was a V. How old is it? What sort of plate is it? It would be useful to see the photo please?

I would guess it may be an unknown 1902 series code probably.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 26th July 2009, 23:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,
No so sure but in the 1939 list KH and a third letter is listed as Kachchh (Kutch) but I am surprised if there was a V. How old is it? What sort of plate is it? It would be useful to see the photo please?

Cheers
Cedric
Hi Cedric,
You are very right, it is Kutch. The car was a Mercedes 320 of about 1938, it belonged to my friends father. KHV is correct, maybe the last of the KH series.
Old 13th August 2009, 14:59   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

A 1905 Humber, photographed in Bombay

Early registration numbers in India-1905_humber_810_tonneau.jpg

The text reads

Quote:
Unusual photo received from Sylvia Murphy (Australia). Location is Bombay, India and the driver is a Harry Soundy, born 1863 & died 1922. With him are his sister Kate, in back, step mother and sister Elsie. As Elsie married in September 1906 and Harry married in 1907, the photo was probably taken before then. Harry was a photographer and ran a major studio in Bombay. It is likely that he had the picture coloured. --The car is a cca 1905 Humber 8/10 Tonneau. This rad. for one year only
SVVS Web Assistance with Classic, Vintage and Veteran Cars

It is intersting to note the white plate with black letters (though hand coloured). Was that for official cars? I recall something like that in a Viceroy Rolls photo'd in Delhi
Old 14th August 2009, 12:27   #176
BHPian

Karl,
A lovely photo and so good to have the history with it.
This is the first black on white plate (if that is indeed the colour as the photo must have been coloured) I have seen from an early vehicle in India. There were some D6 type numbers in the 1930s in Delhi for the senior officials but I would think 262 would be a private number rather than official. My guess is they either didn't worry about the colour of the plate too much in 1905 or this is really a white on black plate.
Let us hope you find some more early photos.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 16th August 2009, 14:43   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,

Cheers
Cedric
Hi Cedric.

Today I met a gentleman from Kutch. He told me that in Kutch there was only KHV series, the state was small and Bhuj which was the Capital had maybe around 25 cars. This state was centrally administered and got regular Gujrat registrations only in the 1950's.

Cheers harit
Old 18th August 2009, 10:19   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Moralfibre found this nice picture showing an Austin (?) taxi in a hotel in Delhi. Clear number plate visible showing the earlier colour scheme for commercial vehicles.

Early registration numbers in India-moeder-1962-_2.jpg

Picasa Web Albums - anneke
Old 26th August 2009, 23:25   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Just small comments.
Many registration numbers in the UK are very similar to Indian system. There were many series where there are three alphabets followed by numbers, and that too upto 4 digits.

Another peculiarity I noticed is that when cars were re-registered in 1940, many books had the old number written on the inner front cover on the upper right side. And I have seen a BMX series book where the word "new" was written in that place.
I have just got in my hand another original BMW registration book. This was of a 1934 car, it was also re-registered in April 1940. Now it is fairly certain that all Bombay cars were re-registered in 1940, discarding their single alphabet for the three alphabets. The old no was X.....
Old 9th September 2009, 17:47   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this stellar image (more to follow) here

Old Indian Photos

Early registration numbers in India-calcutta-street-front-grand-hotel-date-unknown.jpg

The title reads Calcutta Street - In Front of Grand Hotel - Date Unknown.

5 digit registration 26903 is clearly visible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks