Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2009, 06:42   #241
BHPian

Number plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Karl,
RYJ does not appear in my 1902 list and RY is not a 1939 or 1947 series. I would have to guess that it is:
a) a made up number for display,
b) a UK number,
c) a mistake for RJY that is a 1939 & 1947 series,
d) an unknown pre 1939 series

I think the owner may be the only one to know the truth on this one.

Cheers
Cedric
Number plates starting with RJ is Rajasthan number plate. So RJY could be old Rajasthan Number. RYJ could be RJY (a mistake)

From Wikipedia:-
RJ 27 14M 2463, is a vehicle registered in Udaipur, Rajasthan State.

Moderators:- If this post is not relevant here, Pls remove it.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th December 2009 at 15:36. Reason: Correction.
Old 27th December 2009, 06:53   #242
BHPian

Number plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sorry for being offtopic but does anybody know where TR 01 registration is for ?Saw a maruti omni today with this reg number on it.Heres a pic below of the number plate.
TR---- is Tripura Number plate. See below list from Wikipedia.

2 letter Codes- STATES

Andhra Pradesh- AP
Arunachal Pradesh-AR
Assam- AS
Bihar- BR
Chattisgarh- CG
Goa- GA
Gujarat- GJ
Haryana- HR
Himachal Pradesh- HP
Jammu & Kashmir- JK
Jharkhand- JH
Karnataka- KA
Kerala- KL
Madhya Pradesh- MP
Maharashtra- MH
Manipur- MN
Meghalaya- ML
Mizoram- MZ
Nagaland- NL
Orissa- OR
Punjab- PB
Rajasthan- RJ
Sikkim- SK
Tamil Nadu- TN
Tripura- TR
Utarakhand- UA
Uttar Pradesh- UP
West Bengal- WB

2 Letter Code - UNION TERRITORITIES:-
Andaman & Nicobar- AN
Chandigarh- CH
Dadra & Nagar Haveli- DN
Daman & Diu- DD
Delhi- DL
LakshadWeep- LD
Pondicherry- PY

Andaman & NicobarAN
ChandigarhCH
Dadra and Nagar HaveliDN
Daman & DiuDD
DelhiDL
LakshadweepLD
PondicherryPY

Last edited by Aditya : 27th December 2009 at 15:33. Reason: Removing Tags
Old 27th December 2009, 14:19   #243
Senior - BHPian

thankx for the clarification.

i had another quarey and that is where was US assigned to?

Last edited by Dippy : 28th December 2009 at 08:51. Reason: Please do not quote a long post when replying to a thread.
Old 27th December 2009, 17:47   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
i had another quarey and that is where was US assigned to?
US series is from Uttar Pradesh.
Old 27th December 2009, 17:51   #245
BHPian

There's a very old car (Austin?) near my house that's in a decrepit state. The license plate is still very clear though - DEN 1. Sometimes I wish I could just unscrew that and frame it on my wall.
Old 27th December 2009, 20:23   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
Number plates starting with RJ is Rajasthan number plate. So RJY could be old Rajasthan Number. RYJ could be RJY (a mistake
RR and RN were also a Rajasthan series apart from RJ prior to 1989.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
US series is from Uttar Pradesh.
Apart from US Uttar Pradesh also had UA,UG,UH,UR and UT prior to 01.06.1989 when the new MV Act 1988 came into being streamlining the numbering in all states and U/T's.
Old 27th December 2009, 20:48   #247
BHPian

Bumpu restored this very nice 1952 Bentley MK VI a number of years ago with WBE-1 Plates.

I will ask him if he can get some history on the Plate Number. I'm sure they cost a premium, how much would be interesting to know.
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-img_4200.jpg  

Old 27th December 2009, 22:04   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I will ask him if he can get some history on the Plate Number. I'm sure they cost a premium, how much would be interesting to know.
I'm not sure about Calcutta but over here, a brand new number with the single digit '1' is known as "VIP" number and costs about 1 lac if you yourself reserve/request it for your vehicle while registering. Even used ones (sold illegally only) I'm sure would go for a fancy price; I heard the regn. APC 1 that belonged to a green select that was sadly scrapped here (posted the pics. some time ago) was sold by the scrapman for a hefty price, albeit may not be equal to that of a new regn. legally alloted!

Last edited by Stanher : 27th December 2009 at 22:17.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:35   #249
BHPian

Uttar Pradesh had the US & UP series running concurrently , the first series in Lucknow was USJ , whereas in Kanpur the first series was UPR & USK came later .
Surprisingly USA was shared by both Agra ( in the West ) & Gonda ( in the East ) with USA 1 to USA 5000 with the Agra RTO and 5001 to 9999 with Gonda RTO.
The US.. & UP.. series ran through till early 70's.

The other series since then were :

UT.. : 1973 onwards. UTW & UTZ were both Kanpur series
UR.. : late 70's
UH.. : early 80's
UA.. : 84
UG.. : mid to late 80's
UV.. : Last alphabetical series before changing to UP ..

UP 01 to UP 07 belonged to districts which later formed Uttarakhand. So now UP 01 ~ 07 no longer exist.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:37   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I'm not sure about Calcutta but over here, a brand new number with the single digit '1' is known as "VIP" number and costs about 1 lac if you yourself reserve/request it for your vehicle while registering. Even used ones (sold illegally only) I'm sure would go for a fancy price; I heard the regn. APC 1 that belonged to a green select that was sadly scrapped here (posted the pics. some time ago) was sold by the scrapman for a hefty price, albeit may not be equal to that of a new regn. legally alloted!
True Stanher, today its money power that gets one VIP numbers but earlier money no doubt played a part but most of it was illegal transactions with the transport authorities. Most of the VIP numbers were allocated to people in power or eminent people and also to those close to the transport authorities and politicians.Even the local RTO office head and his trusted men had enough powers to allocate VIP numbers.
But today the scenario is different.The RTO office head gets phone calls from politicians to allocate particular numbers to persons of their choice. One also pays and gets a receipt for the VIP number in most states.The prices are fixed depending upon the number sought. It is either auctioned or sold at a premium. Besides the receipt, there are many cases where power and money are used apart from the legal payment to get particular numbers that are most in demand.
In Maharashtra there is a huge list detailing each number in a Marathi OM by the transport department and the legal price one has to pay for it is listed alongwith.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th December 2009 at 22:41.
Old 28th December 2009, 15:54   #251
BHPian

and in Punjab you have to bid an auction for all the fancy numbers with no 1 having the start price of fifty thousand, and usually it goes for 4-5 lacs every 3 months the new series starts,this started approx 2 years ago, before that it was the price (50K ) and Influence.
i have PB XXC-1 on my innova 06 model and PBXX 0001 on my skoda laura
Old 29th December 2009, 10:14   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are some interesting specimens to study. More info here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...s-cars-61.html

The Paigah cars - with their own series!
Early registration numbers in India-paigah01.jpg

A Wolseley with possibly early Madras registration.
Early registration numbers in India-wolseley01.jpg

Hillman with old Hyderabad series - probably later changed to APX 519.
Early registration numbers in India-hillman01.jpg

Early Norton. Regn from Bombay? Photo probably taken in Hyderabad though.
Early registration numbers in India-norton02.jpg
Old 29th December 2009, 12:57   #253
BHPian

Gents,
The old photos are great. Many thanks for sharing and for the uploading.

What I know......
The Paigah picture shows typical Hyderabad plates from the first series (probably about 1902 onwards). The middle row shows cars with standard plates rather than the 'special' Paigah plates on the front row. I am attaching the only known such plate in collector's hands that is said to be from 1937. Beautiful plates and standard plates were all like this we believe.
I guess being a rather influential family, they decided to have their own Paigah plates cast (aluminium). Nice! Pity none survive I guess.

The Norton T 204; starting in 1902, Bombay issued plates with no letter then a prefix of Z, Y, X, W, T, N and K. Just when T would have been issued I don't know.

MC over Z 645 is a typical Madras City plate from the earliest registrations. They issued MC xxxx and then followed it with MCA, MCB etc, etc (or they had different letters for different parts of the city I suppose). They usually put the serial letter under the MC as in the picture and the attached I acquired from TeamBHP. I have a few more poor photos of other serial letters under the MC.

Happy New Year to all in a couple of days and may there be many more old photos for 2010.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-ind-1902-4853-hyderabadjf-said-1937.jpg  

Early registration numbers in India-ind-1902-mc-p-4594-madrastbh.jpg  

Last edited by sabinesnubbing : 29th December 2009 at 12:58.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:51   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Paigah picture shows typical Hyderabad plates from the first series (probably about 1902 onwards). The middle row shows cars with standard plates rather than the 'special' Paigah plates on the front row. I am attaching the only known such plate in collector's hands that is said to be from 1937. Beautiful plates and standard plates were all like this we believe.
I guess being a rather influential family, they decided to have their own Paigah plates cast (aluminium). Nice! Pity none survive I guess.
What an intricate plate that is - I wonder what it would cost today to have one made!
Anyone familiar with this "Deccan Button Factory"? It is inscribed on the plate, probably the manufacturer.

On zooming in I can see the cars bear the old series Hyderabad plates like you mention, plus also Paigah plates alongside.

First row - Left to right -
  • Buick 8 cabrio - PAIGAH 8 / 292
  • Packard Clipper - PAIGAH 2 / 172
  • Chrysler Town and Country (?) hardtop - PAIGAH 3 / 440
  • Cadillac convertible - PAIGAH 1 / 17
Second row -
  • Willys station wagon - PAIGAH x / 929 (?)
  • Wolseley ?
  • Ford Woody - PAIGAH x / 493 (?)
  • Rolls Royce - 791
  • Rolls Royce - 3087 or 3097
Others are not clear enough.
Old 29th December 2009, 16:34   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some interesting specimens to study. More info here. The Paigah cars - with their own series!
I feel that Paigah had normal Hyderabad registration numbers and simply put their name alongside.

Quote:
What I know......
I guess being a rather influential family, they decided to have their own Paigah plates cast (aluminium).

The Norton T 204; starting in 1902, Bombay issued plates with no letter then a prefix of Z, Y, X, W, T, N and K. Just when T would have been issued I don't know.

Cheers
Cedric
In the days of old, number plates and name plates were often a one piece casting. If one looked closely, one would see how each letter/number was placed separately in the mould and cast. For cars it was usually aluminium, for homes it was in brass. Later on only digits were cast and screwed on a metal plate. Now we just paint them, some are embossed but we have still not been able to implement the tamper proof number plate system.

Bombay registrations started in 1902, first numbers, then a BOM series, then a BOM Z 1234 series and then BOM was droppped.

Quote:
On zooming in I can see the cars bear the old series Hyderabad plates like you mention, plus also Paigah plates alongside.

First row - Left to right .......................
As you can see, they could not have had 3000 odd cars, so in all probability they used regular Hyderabady registrations and added their own. As such special numbers carried the name of a state, not a family. I believe Paigah were ministers in the Nizam's court, not a separate state.

Very interesting discussion, sad to hear that most of their buildings have been pulled down.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks