Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:49   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Mr. Jatti - could you please try and get the date of registration of this caddy or a copy of the RC if Mr.Titus is ok with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The puzzle of registrations in India has been difficult, we are able to gather information only piece meal. The established fact is that British India had re-registration in 1940, probably after the vehivles act of 1939. Madras and Bombay had new registrations issued.
Other states would have followed after they were organised under the union of India. Fact is that there is no original registration valid anywhere in India, though some cars sport the Madras registration plate. Everything was re-registered. Only question is when. MP series would have been started after the formation of Madhya Pradesh in 1950. I believe that MP did not have too many cars and so a registration series lasted very long. Maybe some owners of MP? registered cars can let us know when their cars was first registered.

Cheers harit

Have requested Mr. Jatti already to get us the date with the owners permission. In the mean time i will try and get the details of the registration of the Chevy from the owner.
Old 23rd September 2010, 20:17   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Anjan,

Just asking, are you sure the MPR registration was for Raipur, my car was registered in Durg and bear the no MPR. Or is it at that time there was only one RTO for both of the cities. My car MPR 4142 is of 1959.
Manish,yes indeed its Raipur.Durg did not have a separate RTA office then. MPR was followed by MPS (1968 onwards) CPR,CPS and MPT (late 1970's)in that order. In MP, after MPA to MPZ were all exhausted MI (perhaps standing for "Middle India") and CP (perhaps standing for "Central Pradesh") series commenced.This CP has nothing to do with Central Provinces of yore.The beauty of MP registrations was that they stuck to the city's first letter like MPG for Gwalior. After G was exhausted it was MPH.For Bhopal it was MPB followed by MPC and MPD. For CP and MI too they relied on the same pattern.
For Jabalpur it was MPJ and then MPK.CPJ,CPK and MIJ, MIK are for Jabalpur.
But the bane of this system was that the Suvega or Luna mopeds,scooters ,bikes and cars got the numbers from the same series in succession. That means if a Suvega moped was followed by an Ambassador car the Suvega would get MPR 3456 and the car MPR 3457 and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sir, since the car is 1935 model and the registration series it has got on itself is from the late 1950's and early 1960's.
So you might find for Example (MPR 3314 on a fiat and MPR 3313 on a Chevrolet). Here is also a pic of a 1933 Chevrolet which has a similar registration.
Thanks Indrojit,for the insight.
Even now after Raipur became the capital of Chhattisgarh, the older motor vehicles with the MP 23 series (Raipur) numbers or MPR,MPS,CPR,CPS (all for Raipur) and elsewhere in the new state were asked to switch over to CG number plates. So all Chhattisgarh state RTA's allocate the CG XX ZD XXXX for older motor vehicles that are re-registered.
Maharashtra has many Bombay registrations still intact (BY,BM,) not to speak of the MH, MM,MA,BL,MT,BT series still kept intact by state laws.
And Indrojit, surprise, surprise that MPR Chevrolet was in Nagpur for a long, long time. It has been sold out I believe.
And Harit, the disparity of octroi, state sales and road taxes between Maharashtra and M.P. saw many buyers from border areas bringing their motor vehicles after registering them in M.P. to save taxes.This became apparent since the 1970's. The MP series thus got a new oxygen and fillip from Maharashtra related sales.As is usual, the Maharashtra Govt woke up in the late 1990's and imposed Entry tax for other state registered motor vehicles.
But as you rightly say, the sales in the old MP series were too little in MP towns all by themselves.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd September 2010 at 20:28.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:06   #363
BHPian

Gentlemen,
I have been most interested in reading the Madhya Pradesh series information and am wondering two things.

Does anyone know where MKx (on my list as Madhya Pradesh 1973-79) fits into the scheme of things? Or maybe it didn't exist at all?

Can anyone fill in any more suffix letters for the MM, CP, MI series?
Cheers
Cedric
Old 24th September 2010, 12:23   #364
Team-BHP Support

Whenever I saw any vintage with the registration no. starting from B, I used to think, it is from Bihar and some vintage Car/Bike lover took it to Bombay, but after some time I realized, BMC stands for Bombay Municipal Corporation. I still laugh at myself for this.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:37   #365
BHPian

I don't know whether this is the right thread, but can someone authenticate this article and the information? Has it started in Delhi?

Quote:
Soon, keep your old number plate for your new car

Want a new car, but too attached to your old ones numbers? A foreseeable Government Act will make it possible for you to have the best of both worlds

It has happened with many of us, at some point or the other. You want to replace your ragged old buggy with some hot new wheels. But there is a catch! You can't let go of your licence plates. Memories maybe or superstitions, whatever the reasons behind the obsession; but you want to hold on to them. Well, it seems the government has read your mind.

In a recent communique to various states, the Centre has ordered that a person be allowed to retain the registration number of a vehicle that he sells off or scraps. So far in such a scenario, the number would be dumped.

The move will benefit thousands of those individuals, who, while buying new vehicles, want to retain their old numbers because of sentimental or numerological reasons. VIPs with fancy registration numbers too have a reason to celebrate.

"It is a fantastic idea," said Riddhima Kapoor, daughter of Rishi and Neetu Kapoor, who is now married and settled in Delhi. "Sometimes people are very particular about the things bought by their parents and grandparents and during their days of struggle. I think I won't sell of my car or will not scrap its number, which is gifted to me," she told MiD DAY.

Singer Shibani Kashyap concurred. "Why not, it's a great idea. You are used to seeing the same number of your car. It is also part of your identity. So, it is a wonderful idea," she said.

As per the latest Surface Transport Ministry order, if someone sells his car to another person, the seller can retain the old registration number and the buyer will have to apply for a new number for the same car. In the case of scrapping of the vehicle, the person will have to present the record before the local RTO. Only then will the user be allowed to attach the old number to a new car. The charge is expected to be nominal, but it's the prerogative of the state governments.

"I think it's a very good decision. Several times, the number plate of a vehicle is a part of the owner's identity. I have an ambassador car bought in the 80s with the registration number DIE- 1. I wanted to register this number for my new car but couldn't do that because of government rules. Now I am happy," said, Diljeet Titus, a Delhi-based lawyer, who owns 50 vintage cars

"The system is there in a number of European countries. The owner is identified with the registration number of his vehicle. It will also help in curbing incidents of car theft. Police can anytime ask the user for ownership documents. But a grey area remains; state governments will have to formulate a stringent transition policy so that the procedure is not misused," said, B Bhanot, former director, Automotive Research Institute of India (ARAI).

"As per the new rule, state governments may allow a motor vehicle
owner to retain the registration mark of his old vehicle on a new one owned in his name after the sale or scrapping of the old vehicle. Where the old vehicle is not being scrapped, the state government will have to assign a new registration number to it, to make it eligible to ply on the roads," reads the surface transport ministry order for principal secretaries and commissioners of all the states and union territories.

A senior transport department official in Delhi said, "The software of registration of vehicles, which is provided by the National Informatics Centre, will have to be modified. So, it will take some time to be implemented. But it definitely is a good move."

A senior surface transport ministry official said, "The Maharashtra government even tried to amend the state motor vehicle rules sometime back. Now the ministry is prepared to go ahead with it."
SOURCE:Soon, keep your old number plate for your new car
Old 25th September 2010, 07:32   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

I have recently relocated to Bombay, and started noticing the registration series more closely. I noticed a strange registration series on a few rickshaws - MSD xxxx. So far I have seen 3 of them, never noticed this on my previous visits. What makes this series particularly interesting is that the MSx series was predominantly Madras in the 50s and 60s (MSC, MSL, MSM, MSP, MSQ, MSR, MSV, MSW, MSX, MSY and MSZ).

Can any Mumbaikar hazard a guess as to when this series was introduced?
Old 29th November 2010, 19:38   #367
Senior - BHPian

This post is to create more questions than answers for Cedric. But we are coming closer to getting a clearer picture of Bombay registrations.
As far as we know, vehicles carried a registration BOM 1234, then it became BOM Z 1234, later on we had single alphabets like X 1234. But when were these systems implemented? And how were the changeover from one system to another made? We know that the system of single alphabets was changed in 1940 when all vehicles received new registration. But what about previous registrations? In my collection of pictures, I have never seen vehicles bearing any of the three old registration systems in one photo. So there must also have been compulsory changes from BOM series to single alphabet series like X. But when? Attached are two pictures of a 1932 Plymouth bearing two different series. It is the same car as can be seen bt the disc on the screen. In fact I had posted pictures of this car before in the family thread, and now I got these in addition.
The car is of 1932, it bears the BOM Z number. The next picture has a date of 12th Jan 1935 at the back, and bears the W registration. So we can conclude that between 1932 and 1935 the changeover occurred. The date will have to be fine tuned with other evidence.
I did not know that there was a changeover from BOM Z to X etc with changes in vehicle registration numbers.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-op-plymouth-01.jpg  

Early registration numbers in India-op-plymouth-02.jpg  

Old 30th November 2010, 16:57   #368
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Harit,

The 1932 Plymouth PB looks showroom fresh. This is also a Delux as the stepney is mounted on the front mudguard. Wish she had survived.

Did registration No. BMT also exist? This war time poster has a major following in the Plymouth Club

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1650704-post50.html

Cheers

KPS
Old 30th November 2010, 17:19   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Did registration No. BMT also exist? This war time poster has a major following in the Plymouth Club
BMT is a taxi registration for Bombay State. This car may have been still running as a taxi after 15 years which amused the Americans. Little do they know in many cases a cab in India has run a few decades more before retirement - I remember reading about Model A taxis running in Amravati in the 1980s. I have myself seen Ford, Chevy and Dodge cabs of the 1930s and 1940s in Mahabaleshwar/Panchani/Wai in the 1990s.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 30th November 2010 at 17:20.
Old 7th December 2010, 20:09   #370
BHPian

Any idea when MVL , MGC, MGI registrations were introduced in Pune? Some where in the early 80's i think. Karlos i think i need your help.
Old 7th December 2010, 22:26   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Any idea when MVL , MGC, MGI registrations were introduced in Pune? Some where in the early 80's i think. Karlos i think i need your help.
Cannot say the exact year but the MG series came around 1983/4 in Maharashtra.The MV series came around 1986/7.
Old 8th December 2010, 07:25   #372
BANNED

Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Our MVL 5882 , May 1989 it was the last of 3 letter series here (starting from M ) then came BLD ,BLB ( Mumbai ? ) ( & also other starting from B ) thease lasted up to Oct that year . After OCT 1989 the current pattern ( MH 12 ) started .

MY Yezdi is MFJ 1985 end . MFM was Pune rural ( Nigdi RTO ) around the same time .

I have seen the MGA ,MGB (Pune ? ) MGD after 1980 & up to 1985

we had a MGA 6*** somthing in 1983, let me dig up some more .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 8th December 2010 at 07:26.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:36   #373
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more about MG and MV series with the years here:-
MGV (1983),MGW (1983-84) for Nagpur and MGS (1986) Amravati, MGT (1988)Amravati while
MVI (1987)and MVJ (1988)were for Nagpur
Old 8th December 2010, 20:25   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea when MVL , MGC, MGI registrations were introduced in Pune? Some where in the early 80's i think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Sudarshan
My 1983 model TVS 50 (bought from the TVS dealer near Law College - was it on Prabahat Rd, or one road before, just after the NCC circle?) bore the registration number MGA 5872.
Old 8th December 2010, 20:39   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Cannot say the exact year but the MG series came around 1983/4 in Maharashtra.The MV series came around 1986/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
Our MVL 5882 , May 1989 it was the last of 3 letter series here (starting from M ) then came BLD ,BLB ( Mumbai ? ) ( & also other starting from B ) thease lasted up to Oct that year . After OCT 1989 the current pattern ( MH 12 ) started .

MY Yezdi is MFJ 1985 end . MFM was Pune rural ( Nigdi RTO ) around the same time .

Sudarshan

We had a Bajaj Viking -MGC something... will check with my grandmom exactly when G'dad had bought it. Also my 1986 RD is MFK so that could be early 1986

Saw a Premier padmini in my building in not too good a shape, MGI was wondering which year it would be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks