Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 16:23   #391
BHPian

Re: Early registration numbers in India

Silverwood, many thanks for the MYR. It was one we didn't have. I believe the MYA, B, C etc series started in 1939 having ben MY and MYS only before that so I guess Mysore was another state to reregister vehicles as the Model A is a 1930 car.

Thanks to the rest of you for you input on the dodgy Madras plate. I have told my friend it is not a real plate.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 5th January 2011, 21:32   #392
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Silverwood, many thanks for the MYR. It was one we didn't have. I believe the MYA, B, C etc series started in 1939 having ben MY and MYS only before that so I guess Mysore was another state to reregister vehicles as the Model A is a 1930 car.

Cheers
Cedric
Cedric,

Post 282 & 285 in this thread covers the Karnataka Registration Numbers.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 5th January 2011 at 21:33. Reason: Correcting Post Number
Old 15th January 2011, 13:52   #393
Senior - BHPian

Came across this truck photo of the mid 1930's on these trade plates, CEN 1270/B. In that picture there is also a Ford sedan mid 1930's hving the same trade plate. I have seen these for the first time. Any comments, from Sabinesnubbing? Also looking forward to comments on the CS registration, was that really for "Cochin State"?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-op-scene-16-.jpg  

Old 15th January 2011, 21:33   #394
BHPian

Harit,
I am so glad you collect (and actively seek) old Indian car photos.
The few dealer (trade) plates we have photos of from before the 1939 reregistration follow the pattern of being white on red and with no particular uniform type of number. Anything goes seems to be the rule, different for each province, state or presidency. CEN is not a place code as far as we know so the best guess I have is that it is CENtral Provinces and Berar.
Even to this day, dealer plates have the same number over and over again so having two 1270/B plates doesn't surprise me. There is a Tata bus dealer in Dubai and every batch of 50 or so buses they bring in have the same dealer numbers on them - MRN 11A to MRN 11Z and then MRN 11AA upwards. I have seen the exact same numbers at the Tata bus dealer in Doha also!

Old age must be catching up on me (or the fact that in Armenia we celebrate western and Orthodox Christmas and both New Years also - 2 weeks of excessive eating and drinking!) since I am not sure what you refer to about the CS registration.
Can you tell me the post # please?
Cheers and happy photo collecting for 2011
Cedric
Old 22nd January 2011, 17:51   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,
I am so glad you collect (and actively seek) old Indian car photos.
The few dealer (trade) plates we have photos of from before the 1939 reregistration follow the pattern of being white on red and with no particular uniform type of number. Anything goes seems to be the rule, different for each province, state or presidency. CEN is not a place code as far as we know so the best guess I have is that it is CENtral Provinces and Berar.
..............since I am not sure what you refer to about the CS registration.
Can you tell me the post # please?
Cheers and happy photo collecting for 2011
Cedric
Hi Cedric,
Yes, collecting shall continue
This CEN plate is on a Fargo truck where the main dealer was from Bombay, and a sub-dealer in Kolhapur. So he may have put a temporary number from Mumbai to bring the truck to Kolhapur.
About the CS registration, please check
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...alabar-18.html post 258

Cheers harit
Old 30th January 2011, 13:57   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Cedric,
Yes, collecting shall continue
This CEN plate is on a Fargo truck where the main dealer was from Bombay, and a sub-dealer in Kolhapur. So he may have put a temporary number from Mumbai to bring the truck to Kolhapur.
About the CS registration, please check
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...alabar-18.html post 258

Cheers harit
Haritji,
Hope you are by now,convinced of the existence of CS (cochin state registration)
Old 31st January 2011, 00:01   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Haritji,
Hope you are by now,convinced of the existence of CS (cochin state registration)
Sorry Ajay, did not get your drift. I saw the picture with that Buick 1931(?) bearing a CS plate, and asked Sabinesnubbing for his comments. Existance was not the issue, some info was sought. And Sabinesnubbing seems to have missed that post as he said something which appeared to mean something to that effect. They have a society on registrations, and sometimes they have information, like from when issued, till when, any other such registrations recorded in the past etc. No, there was no doubt about the existance.

Cheers harit
Old 6th June 2011, 17:19   #398
Senior - BHPian

Recently was checking my photos when my friend noticed that the registration on this bus needs to be put up here. So here it is,
Temp 188 BMB.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-op-bus-05.jpg  

Early registration numbers in India-op-bus-06.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 6th June 2011 at 17:23.
Old 7th June 2011, 01:00   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Recently was checking my photos when my friend noticed that the registration on this bus needs to be put up here. So here it is,
Temp 188 BMB.

Cheers harit
Didn't the "Temp" sign mean a temporary plate, till the registration formalities were completed ?
I do remember seeing TEMP *** MRB plates on Premier Padminis, as they drove down the Bombay Cycle & Motor Agency Ramp..
Old 16th November 2011, 15:06   #400
Senior - BHPian

Hello Cedric,

I have just obtained this picture. Car is a Morris as we can read, the person looks Indian, but the number? So far I have not seen an MM series in India, but you never know. Unfortunately the background does not give clues.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-cedr.jpg  

Old 16th November 2011, 18:26   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit
Hello Cedric,

I have just obtained this picture. Car is a Morris as we can read, the person looks Indian, but the number? So far I have not seen an MM series in India, but you never know. Unfortunately the background does not give clues.

Cheers harit
Could be Sri Lankan , definitely not in india by the buildings etc
Old 17th November 2011, 11:55   #402
BHPian

Harit,
Lovely old Morris. I have no record of MM as a British Indian registration and MM was never a Ceylon registration either.
The plate is in typical UK style and MM was a Middlesex registration from 1926 onwards according to the list. I really don't know whether to say it is a British import into India or an Indian gent in the London area who has just bought a car there although I think London is more likely.
Keep finding photos.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 17th December 2011, 16:59   #403
Senior - BHPian

Recent photo of a 1938 or so Caddilachad the number plate as pictured below, wonder where this could be from. The people in the photo appeared to be from the north west frontier, could stretch a bit westwards. Hopefully the number plate will give a clue.
It appears to be PBRN??0.
Maybe Cedric can reply.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-t1.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 17th December 2011 at 17:01.
Old 18th December 2011, 12:42   #404
BHPian

Harit,
The sort answer is that I have no idea about the plate. I was playing with the posted photo and I feel that it is actually P6 not PB and I am not sure I agree with it being an N as the stroke comes halfway up the right vertical I think which doesn't look very vertical. Very strange!
Any chance you can send me the original scan and I will play with it some more? I have a couple of programs here for fiddling with photos and enlarging them in different ways.
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Images

sabinesnubbing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 15:00   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harit,
The sort answer is that I have no idea about the plate.......... send me the original scan.............. Cheers Cedric
Will send it soon.
Here is another odd number plate, which may from a country around India, Burma perhaps? I have not covered the number plate. The car maybe a Simca? There are some more pictures of other cars with similar numbers, so this may not be a "special".

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-simca.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 19th December 2011 at 15:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks