Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 20:46   #376
BANNED

Re: Early registration numbers in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
My 1983 model TVS 50 (bought from the TVS dealer near Law College - was it on Prabahat Rd, or one road before, just after the NCC circle?) bore the registration number MGA 5872.
Ha Ha , its a small world . Our MGA was a TVS 50 too , 2nd series .

& you are correct , It was on Bhandarkar rd. , Century auto or somthing , Run by ' all ' south Indian staff . I used to purchase many parts from there .

It was the begining of all my DIY craziness ,those early days hope to re live some day .
Sudarshan
Old 11th December 2010, 17:10   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
It was on Bhandarkar rd. , Century auto or somthing , Run by ' all ' south Indian staff . I used to purchase many parts from there .
Oh yes, Bhandarkar Road it is, thanks for reminding me Sudershan! I'm getting rusty. I guess next time in Poona, I need to walk those roads and lanes again. I'd buy parts from Century also, although my TVS didn't need too many since it didn't rake up much mileage. But it was a hoot, doing 45 seemed like a ton, and coming down Senapati Bapat Rd., or any other descent, could manage to take the needle till the stop at 60, with the thing threatening to disintegrate any moment! It was quite reliable, until it smelled moisture in the air!!

Pardon the off topic rant, but am just a little nostalgic. That circle down Senapati Bapat, where the BMCC and Law College Rds also meet, was the site of a crash I had. Coming down SB Rd. my Yezdi's wheel came loose, and I landed head on onto one of the stones of the circle, carrying a chip in my skull till the clinic! Left a permanent 25p-sized bald patch on my head. Boy, was it fun? You bet. Loved the attention (and attendant affection) such events would bring!
Old 4th January 2011, 12:52   #378
BHPian

Happy New Year to one and all.
I have a curiosity for you to start the year. A collector in the US has had this plate for a long time I believe and he thinks it is a Madras plate from probably the 1960s that is in Telugu. I don't think it is Telugu but am wondering if it could be Madras Bashai?
Although the plate is unused and was made specially for collectors I am sure it guess it is a 'real' plate?
Can anyone translate the registration?
All the best to all
Cheers
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-coalgert03a-madras-unused-bashai-maybe.jpg  

Old 4th January 2011, 13:58   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
Happy New Year to one and all.
I have a curiosity for you to start the year. A collector in the US has had this plate for a long time I believe and he thinks it is a Madras plate from probably the 1960s that is in Telugu. I don't think it is Telugu but am wondering if it could be Madras Bashai?
Although the plate is unused and was made specially for collectors I am sure it guess it is a 'real' plate? Can anyone translate the registration?
All the best to all Cheers Cedric
Hi! Are you sure this concerns India? What about Burma, Thailand or any other south east asian country. In India the English characters were the legal requirement, though in some cases they had UP numbers in the Devanagri script. Whether that was legal I am not sure.

Cheers harit
Old 4th January 2011, 14:45   #380
Senior - BHPian

That script is certainly NOT Telugu or any south Indian language for sure.

It could even be a name plate for hanging on your house gate for all I know
Old 4th January 2011, 15:17   #381
Senior - BHPian

I asked my colleague who is a Tamil, the first two letters he could identify as "CHIT" but the rest of it he could not, he said the second half last 3 letters do not belong to Tamil. Could be in Shrilankan language also.
Old 4th January 2011, 15:31   #382
Senior - BHPian

Numbering system in Kerala

kerala as you may be aware was basically formed by the union of the princely states of Travancore,Cochin plus Malabar which was under direct British rule(Madras Presidency)
the whole Travancore state had the registration series TRV till 1950.
after that it became TCT-Travancore Cochin Trivandrum,TCK-Travancore Cochin Kottayam and maybe TCR-Travancore Cochin Trichur(not fully sure)
following the formation of the state of KERALA on 1st November the new registration KL started and as there were 4 districts there were 4 registration series-KLT-(Trivandrum)
KLQ-(Quilon),KLK(Kottayam), KLR-(Trichur)
in 1957 4 more districts were created and so 4 new series-KLA(Alleppey)
KLP(Palghat),KLD(kozhikode) and KLC(Cannanore)
in 1958 Ernakulam was created-KLE
1969 -Malappuram-KLM
1972-Idukki-KLI
1980-Wayanad-KLW
1982-Pathanamthitta-KLB
1984-Kasargodu-KLS
the series KLX was given to the KSRTC buses
This continued till 1July1989 when the alphanumeric registrations came
KL-01 to Kl-14 and KL-15 replacing KLX
in 2002 three more series added-KL-16(Attingal),KL-17(moovattupuzha) and KL-18(vadakara)
in July2006 all joint rtos were given registration series from KL-19to KL-60
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 16:06   #383
Senior - BHPian

@sabinesnubbing

My friend who hails from Raichur (Karnataka) owns a 1930 Model 'A' and the registration no. begins with MYR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Madhya Pradesh was known as Central Province, all vehicle license plates began with,

* CPZ — For All Government vehicles
* CPP — Central Province Police
* CPX — where "X" represented the district code (for example, vehicles registered in Jabalpur had a registration plate starting with CPJ)

When renamed to Madhya Pradesh,

* MPZ — For All Government vehicles
* MPP — Madhya Pradesh Police
* MPX — where "X" represented the district (for example, vehicles registered in Jabalpur had a registration plate starting with MPJ)

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 4th January 2011 at 16:15.
Old 4th January 2011, 16:57   #384
BHPian

Re: Numbering system in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
kerala as you may be aware was basically formed by the union of the princely states of Travancore,Cochin plus Malabar which was under direct British rule(Madras Presidency)
the whole Travancore state had the registration series TRV till 1950.
after that it became TCT-Travancore Cochin Trivandrum,TCK-Travancore Cochin Kottayam and maybe TCR-Travancore Cochin Trichur(not fully sure)
following the formation of the state of KERALA on 1st November the new registration KL started and as there were 4 districts there were 4 registration series-KLT-(Trivandrum)
KLQ-(Quilon),KLK(Kottayam), KLR-(Trichur)
in 1957 4 more districts were created and so 4 new series-KLA(Alleppey)
KLP(Palghat),KLD(kozhikode) and KLC(Cannanore)
in 1958 Ernakulam was created-KLE
1969 -Malappuram-KLM
1972-Idukki-KLI
1980-Wayanad-KLW
1982-Pathanamthitta-KLB
1984-Kasargodu-KLS
the series KLX was given to the KSRTC buses
This continued till 1July1989 when the alphanumeric registrations came
KL-01 to Kl-14 and KL-15 replacing KLX
in 2002 three more series added-KL-16(Attingal),KL-17(moovattupuzha) and KL-18(vadakara)
in July2006 all joint rtos were given registration series from KL-19to KL-60
Ajay,
Else where in another thread, I had seen a toyota startlet with registration KBE. From when and where would that be?
Old 4th January 2011, 17:07   #385
BHPian

I don't know whether this been discusses here, TN RTO list

@Mods...Please delete if duplicate
Attached Thumbnails
Early registration numbers in India-tn-rto.jpg  

Old 4th January 2011, 17:30   #386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Numbering system in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Ajay,
Else where in another thread, I had seen a toyota startlet with registration KBE. From when and where would that be?
KBE is Ernakulam -84-85 period
Old 4th January 2011, 17:43   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post

@Mods...Please delete if duplicate
Wow, this is one heck of an information.

Can you please post the source of this info as well.?

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 4th January 2011 at 17:45.
Old 4th January 2011, 18:00   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Wow, this is one heck of an information.

Can you please post the source of this info as well.?
Silverwood,

http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/a2.pdf

cheers
Old 4th January 2011, 20:33   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
@sabinesnubbing

My friend who hails from Raichur (Karnataka) owns a 1930 Model 'A' and the registration no. begins with MYR
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Madhya Pradesh was known as Central Province, all vehicle license plates began with,

* CPZ — For All Government vehicles
* CPP — Central Province Police
* CPX — where "X" represented the district code (for example, vehicles registered in Jabalpur had a registration plate starting with CPJ)

When renamed to Madhya Pradesh,

* MPZ — For All Government vehicles
* MPP — Madhya Pradesh Police
* MPX — where "X" represented the district (for example, vehicles registered in Jabalpur had a registration plate starting with MPJ)
Actually these are second generation CP series from Madhya Pradesh (from 1973-74 onwards) and has no relevance of any kind with the old Central Provinces. The MP series was exhausted upto Z and so the CP (RTO used to refer to it as Central Pradesh) series commenced. This has nothing to do with the erstwhile Central Provinces. For instance Raipur had MPR, MPS,MPT and also CPR, CPS and CPT after the CP series commenced. MPZ was the older MP State Govt vehicle series. They were exempt from road tax and toll taxes of any kind. So the MPZ and later CPZ identity was enough. Even Central Govt vehicles were registered in the private motor vehicle series and were charged RTO taxes, toll taxes and so on. They also started MI, MU (MUJ was Jabalpur) series in the late 1970's. The Madhya Pradesh registrations flourished all through the 1980's and 1990's as a large chunk of these vehicles found their way into Maharashtra where the State Sales Tax on new cars was around 12% while it was somewhere around 6 % in MP then. Sinilarly for two wheelers there was a huge difference.
Old 4th January 2011, 21:40   #390
Senior - BHPian

Anjan is correct, the MPR series was aroun 1959-60 and then the CPT was aroun 1983-85 if I remember correctly, we purchased a Enfield Silver plus at that time by selling our Lambretta.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks