Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2013, 14:47   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjosek View Post
Moskovich cars - ....Also, any more Moskovich cars in India now?
The Russians had a huge diplomatic presence in India in the 1960's to 1990's. They brought in lots of cars which were sold to STC and then bought by those who wanted a "Phoren" car at a cheaper rate. The Russians had Volga's, Moskwitch and Ladas. Spares for these cars were not available and I know of one Moskwitch which was fitted with an Amby engine. The Russians also had vans, forgot the name. The older Volga was a brute, there is a dieselised one still in Mumbai. The newer Volgas were square sedans. Moskwitch were smaller, and the Ladas were like Fiats, 124/125. And the Russians also used a lot of Japanese cars. Other cars Mercs, Chevys, Lada Niva, Chaika, Zil were also used by them in smaller numbers.
I think that there will only be a handful of survivors.

Cheers harit
Old 16th November 2013, 18:14   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moskovich cars - During the 1990s there used to be Moskovich made Russian care in Thiruvananthapuram. During 1992, during a college visit to the city, we stopped at Hotel Chaithram. This car was parked outside. KBT regn, I think. It was a hit amongst us car buffs.

Anyone knows to whom it belonged?

Also, any more Moskovich cars in India now?
Was it white car? are you sure it is KBT and not KRT??
If KRT then it could well be the car of the then Professor of the Russian Department at Kerala University.He was from Moscow

Last edited by ajay99 : 16th November 2013 at 18:15.
Old 17th November 2013, 17:02   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Russians had a huge diplomatic presence in India in the 1960's to 1990's. They brought in lots of cars which were sold to STC and then bought by those who wanted a "Phoren" car at a cheaper rate. The Russians had Volga's, Moskwitch and Ladas. Spares for these cars were not available and I know of one Moskwitch which was fitted with an Amby engine. The Russians also had vans, forgot the name. The older Volga was a brute, there is a dieselised one still in Mumbai. The newer Volgas were square sedans. Moskwitch were smaller, and the Ladas were like Fiats, 124/125. And the Russians also used a lot of Japanese cars. Other cars Mercs, Chevys, Lada Niva, Chaika, Zil were also used by them in smaller numbers.
I think that there will only be a handful of survivors.

Cheers harit
Hey Harit, then we should dig out those. I am sure most of the folks here have not seen a Moskovitch or a Lada. I remember the old Lada 124. Looked like our Premier 118NE. There used to be a few in Chennai even till the late 1990s. During the 80's Aeroflot operated to Chennai too. I remember a Lada coming to pick up some russians.

Lada 124 was more strong than 118NE I believe.
Old 17th November 2013, 17:05   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Was it white car? are you sure it is KBT and not KRT??
If KRT then it could well be the car of the then Professor of the Russian Department at Kerala University.He was from Moscow
Oh yes, Ajay, it was white. Probably it was KRT, I vaguely remember. But even when parked it drew lot of attention from passerby. Was the professor a Russian? What happened to the car?

I think there must have been more in Kerala since there were lots of comrads here!
Old 17th November 2013, 18:17   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, Ajay, it was white. Probably it was KRT, I vaguely remember. But even when parked it drew lot of attention from passerby. Was the professor a Russian? What happened to the car?

I think there must have been more in Kerala since there were lots of comrads here!
Yes,he was of Russian origin.I dont know what happened to the car.
Although there are a lot of comrades here,have not seen any russian cars here.There was a Romanian Dalcia owned by Dr.Gulathi.Of course there was and maybe still is,lot of russian jeeps like GAZ and the monstrous trailer truck used as mobile book stalls(it was still active till mid nineties)
Old 18th November 2013, 09:00   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Belongs to yesteryear Malayalam Actor Jayan

Attachment 1166887
Last time I heard of this car was sometime back in 2001. I think the car was somewhere in TN ( I think Thenkasi, not sure).
sharoncr_17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 23:01   #1087
BHPian

Can anyone identify this car in the movie poster? This movie was completely shot in and around Fort Kochi area.

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-576138_387432544645781_1193480983_n.jpg
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 23:29   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone identify this car in the movie poster? This movie was completely shot in and around Fort Kochi area.

Attachment 1168719
This car seems to be a MODEL A FORD
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 17:38   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1168719
This is a 1938 Model FORD A owned by one Doctor in ALwaye.He later sold it for Rs.2.5lakhs in 2007 to someone in Kottayam
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 11:37   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
This is a 1938 Model FORD A owned by one Doctor in ALwaye.He later sold it for Rs.2.5lakhs in 2007 to someone in Kottayam
This certainly looks like a Model A front. It is not a 1938 . Ford Model A was built from 1927 to 1931 . In 1932 was introduced the model B. 1934 onward the look was changed and the flathead V8 was introduced. By 1937 the cars had more sheet metal , fenders had teardrop headlights, choice of sedan , coupe and convertible was offered. Gone were spares on fenders or the rear - the cars had proper trunks where the spare was carried.
Old 21st November 2013, 11:45   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
This certainly looks like a Model A front. It is not a 1938 . Ford Model A was built from 1927 to 1931 . In 1932 was introduced the model B. 1934 onward the look was changed and the flathead V8 was introduced. By 1937 the cars had more sheet metal , fenders had teardrop headlights, choice of sedan , coupe and convertible was offered. Gone were spares on fenders or the rear - the cars had proper trunks where the spare was carried.

Certainly that’s a 1931 Ford Model A as said by the owner, which is with a collector now which is a friend of mine. I also have posted the snaps of the same here long before.

Any one need more snaps to be posted ?

This car was also featured in the movie Orkkapurattu

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 21st November 2013 at 11:46. Reason: corrected a spelling error
Old 25th November 2013, 17:00   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Jwella De Grande , note the CS registrations and please identify the vehicles.

The chevy Truck on left hand side and bedford/ford truck in the middle and Austin / Morris in right hand side ?
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image257136303.jpg  

Last edited by foby.sebastian : 25th November 2013 at 17:02.
foby.sebastian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:56   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Thanks to Jwella De Grande , note the CS registrations and please identify the vehicles.

The chevy Truck on left hand side and bedford/ford truck in the middle and Austin / Morris in right hand side ?
The first one on the left is indeed Chevy truck from 1941. They had inline Six engine with rear wheel drive. There were loads of them around, now none to be seen in condition. I have a 1:24 model of the same (Sorry for the model picture guys).

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-chevy-truck.jpg

Mods: Please delete the same if this picture is not called for.
Old 25th November 2013, 19:15   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
... This car was also featured in the movie Orkkapurattu
Isn't the pic from same movie, Iirc an old motorcycle is also seen with both actors riding it. Hope you have seen & could identify it. Bsa M-series by any chance ?
Old 26th November 2013, 02:36   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Isn't the pic from same movie, Iirc an old motorcycle is also seen with both actors riding it. Hope you have seen & could identify it. Bsa M-series by any chance ?
Yes, the hero rides a vintage bike in this movie. Here are some pics. I don't know which model it is.

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image-70.png

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image-71.png
josejoseph is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks