Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 19:52   #286
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Studebaker and Nash Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
A 1954 period nice and rare 2 door Studebaker Champion Conestago will soon be seen on the road. The car has a lot of accessories and its in superb nic and preserved to the interiors etc. She is in original paint and the chrome too.
Cheers
Very very nice. Does it have a beacon light on the roof? What is the history of this car? Odd way of putting the automobile badges on the front fenders though.

There is a 1956 at the Dharmasthala Museum

Cheers

KPS
Old 6th October 2011, 23:00   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A 1954 period nice and rare 2 door Studebaker Champion Conestago will soon be seen on the road. The car has a lot of accessories and its in superb nic and preserved to the interiors etc. She is in original paint and the chrome too. Cheers
These cars are indeed now rare, one was put up for sale in Panvel, very near to that famous eatery joint where they dressed like cowboys. Forgot the name of the place, it was just before the climb up the ghats on the old road.
If this car is in original paint, ask them to keep it like that. There appears to be a sticker on the fender, what is that? And the two Automobile Assiciation badges on the fenders need to be relocated.
Maybe this car will be selected for the next Cartier event, atleast a genuine car.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 6th October 2011 at 23:03.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:50   #288
BHPian

Quote:
A 1954 period nice and rare 2 door Studebaker Champion Conestago will soon be seen on the road. The car has a lot of accessories and its in superb nic and preserved to the interiors etc. She is in original paint and the chrome too.

Cheers
That foglight, though may have been put a long time ago is surely a Hella or Bosch foglight with the unique 'brimmed' lens, where the glass is angled towards the road on top. These lamps were optional on 180/190 pontons and standard on the 220S. Er, I hate to ask but in case you're in 2 minds about keeping it on the Stude, I'm always there

Prithvi
Old 7th December 2011, 13:16   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well an update on the Golden Hawk.With all the help from Wasif i have mnanaged to get all the required parts from the US.I have got all the aluminium rocker mouldings(the lower ribbed trims),the door trims,all three front grills,New set of piston rings,Water pump pully,Wheel cover,Whell well trims,parking light lenses and the rear windshield upper trim.Now we have cleaned up the car to see the amount of corrosion taken place in the last few years.The steering column and the front left side dish and drum be put on and the car would be moved to the work area to start all the work.In the mean while the engine would be dismanteled and the block would be re sleaved.The parts have arrieved in calcutta and are in the customs currently and would get them by next week or so.Wasif hbas played a major role in helpoing me get these parts from america.Now the only things that i need to get for this car are the studebaker badges apart from that we have all the parts now.We plan to start work with full force on this car by mid-end october.

Hi Indrojit,

Any updates on this ? Sorry if there has been any update already, but I missed that and hence the question

Would love to see the restored GH

Thanks

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 18th December 2011, 21:32   #290
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Good Luck with the photos Nikhil bhai! I sure envy you these days!

And here's the same car at the Deccan Heritage vintage show on 15th August last year:

Attachment 609977

Attachment 609978

Attachment 609979

Attachment 609980

If I'm not mistake, twas a darker navy-ish shade of blue earlier.

Would you know who owns it? May be somebody connected to the Mall (Future group)?

Yesterday while parking my car I noticed it, later I gave a good look around
Old 22nd December 2011, 13:11   #291

Sir my Grandfather had imported 120 Erksine vehicles in 1929 for use as taxis in Calcutta,the cars were bought from the then importer "The Great India Motor Works".Any idea if this car is one of them,if you have access to the original RC book it can be verified.
Old 7th January 2012, 15:17   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Jaidka View Post
Sir my Grandfather had imported 120 Erksine vehicles in 1929 for use as taxis in Calcutta,the cars were bought from the then importer "The Great India Motor Works".Any idea if this car is one of them,if you have access to the original RC book it can be verified.
This is new info, somehow I missed this post. Do you have any pictures, documents, letterheads from your grandfathers venture? It will be very nice. The other make which was very popular in Kolkata at that time was the Graham-Paige, in fact they were assembled in Kolkata. I have photos.
Original RC books from 1929 would not exist, because the registration series changes twice after that with all vehicles being re-registered, first to BLB (and others starting with "B") series, and then again to WBC etc. series. And the efficient authorities have no records whatsover. Please check if you have anything available.
BTW, there maybe about 4 to 5 Erskine cars still around in India, thouigh none known to me in or around Kolkata region.

Cheers harit
Old 7th January 2012, 17:17   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is new info, somehow I missed this post. Do you have any pictures, documents, letterheads from your grandfathers venture? It will be very nice. The other make which was very popular in Kolkata at that time was the Graham-Paige, in fact they were assembled in Kolkata. I have photos.
Original RC books from 1929 would not exist, because the registration series changes twice after that with all vehicles being re-registered, first to BLB (and others starting with "B") series, and then again to WBC etc. series. And the efficient authorities have no records whatsover. Please check if you have anything available.
BTW, there maybe about 4 to 5 Erskine cars still around in India, thouigh none known to me in or around Kolkata region.

Cheers harit
Interesting feed back Harit,thanks. Unfortunately I don't have any records, however there is this article available on the net with ref. to the same :TAXICABS IN INDIA. - Cairns Post (Qld. : 1909 - 1954), Friday 20 September 1929, page 12 20 Sep 1929 - TAXICABS IN INDIA. RADHA JAIDKA'S FLEET.
Old 9th January 2012, 10:35   #294
BHPian

Hi,

In the same news page where Mr.Jaidka quotes an article referring to his grandfather, there is an article about an attempt at breaking a world record for the longest running car, here is the link; 20 Sep 1929 - TO BREAK WORLD'S RECORD. NON-STOP ENGINE RUN.

regards,

Srinand.
Old 15th September 2012, 00:59   #295
BHPian

A previously unknown Studebaker
Attached Thumbnails
Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012007.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 06:44   #296
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Looks similar to the car now in Mumbai. The colour is also the same. Is this a old picture? Are the head lights oval in shape? Here is a link to the Mumbai car

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2156748

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by karlosdeville : 15th September 2012 at 09:19.
Old 15th September 2012, 10:19   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman
Is the the STUDEBAKER in Delhi ? As the rear lights look like that car. The mumbai car was very complete

Thanks

Last edited by kasli : 15th September 2012 at 10:21.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:45   #298
BHPian

The Studebaker is in UP and the photographs were clicked a few days back , here are some more photographs :
Attached Thumbnails
Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012001.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012002.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012003.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012004.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012005.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012006.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012008.jpg  

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-07092012.jpg  

vintageman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 19:06   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an interesting one that may have been posted before.

courtesy: wjm2234.com

Studebaker and Nash Cars in India-studebaker-truck-ad-india-1944.jpg
Old 1st October 2012, 22:12   #300
BHPian

here is a link to one Studebaker which was in india

Sri. Kuvempu, In 1956, with his car Studebaker Commander, in front of Udayaravi, Mysore
Name:   Official website of Sri Kuvempu .png
Views: 3177
Size:  151.6 KB

http://www.kuvempu.com/en/photos30.html
Shreeram is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed