Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 14:20   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, the blog windy skies does indeed have errors, does anyone remember seeing Jackie's SS 100? Maybe I will post a summary later.
Well the SS100 was at least entered, and Jackie was present, but I dont recall the SS being present. Many press reporters often use the list of participants to mention which cars turned up, even though often some do not turn up.

Quote:
Now about Mr. Wadia, well I know of two cars which his family had. A Chrysler roadster of the 1930's and a Merc 250SE series 108.
Unfortunately they never looked after their cars. They live on the Worli seaface. The Chrysler was corroded to the core, and tin work was once done in a garage near Worli Village near the Naval establishment end. Today that car belongs to Kundalmal's collection.
The Merc was abandoned with a mechanic at the start of Worli seaface, lot of parts missing. The car now belongs to me, lying in Nashik, body work done. Maybe I will keep its fuel injection system.
The Chrysler roadster from the 30s sounds very unique. Would you have any pictures? What is the current state of restoration? Pictures of the Merc too would be welcome.

Quote:
I find a Rolls being mentioned, have no idea if they had one lately. Went through the blog, could not find a reference, maybe I missed. These are the last 2 cars I knew about and mentioned, but surely they had more cars in the days of old.
The mention of the Rolls was after the article in the comments section. I have pasted the entire paragraph earlier, so you aren't missing anything anyways.
Old 7th June 2009, 13:12   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Any idea which Rolls this is, and who owns it now?
My mistake, there is no mention of the word Rolls, don't know why I said that.
Old 29th June 2009, 15:42   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across this photo showing the Graham in its previous colour scheme here

O Sentido das Imagens

WIAA & VCCCI Rally. Bombay, 5th April 2009.-dehli.jpg
Old 4th July 2009, 18:43   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where all do you search? One day I might even find you under my bed looking for motoring stuff!
Indeed, this was the colour scheme of the Graham before she came to Mumbai for restoration.
Somehow I prefer a simpler colour scheme for this car.

Cheers harit

Last edited by v12 : 5th July 2009 at 21:12.
Old 4th July 2009, 18:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Where all do you search? One day I might even find you under my bed looking for motoring stuff!
Now we know where you keep your motoring treasures. Dont be surprised if you find him crawling there, I agree the earlier colour scheme was more befitting.

Last edited by v12 : 5th July 2009 at 21:13.
Old 7th July 2009, 10:23   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

I came across the prize winners list on the VCCCI website

http://www.vccci.com/Prize_Distribution.pdf
Old 7th July 2009, 12:49   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I came across the prize winners list on the VCCCI website

http://www.vccci.com/Prize_Distribution.pdf
I am just curious on two things

a.) how can a car that has won concours in the previous year have won 2nd prize for best restored in the classics (The Healey) should it not win best maintained.

b.) How can a car that was given a 4th place (sic) in the best restored category have won concours the following year in a less impressive avtaar (different owner but same familiy) (mercedes 300)

VCCCI continues to amaze me
Old 7th July 2009, 13:02   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I am just curious on two things
Well I am more curious on a 1987 Bullet winning 2nd place Best Restored Motor-Cycle built between 1961 to 2009. I have always supported later model Indian classics to be included, though I should think anything younger than me is really too recent.

That said, like in any competition, the judges decision is always final, and we should respect their discretion. I'm still looking forward to an event in Pune, though it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.
Old 7th July 2009, 20:36   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That said, like in any competition, the judges decision is always final, and we should respect their discretion.
Well this is'nt about judging or the judges discretion, its more of non-judging and wasting time pretending to judge events, just start the rally at 8:00 AM and get over with it.So that atleaset people wont get cooked waiting for the knowledgeable judges to come by and drive around in the mad heat at 12 noon.
Old 10th July 2009, 02:11   #190
Senior - BHPian

I always wondered why it is called WIAA & VCCCI Rally, till I realised that it is acually a VCCCI Rally but they used the stationary from WIAA!

Prizes at VCCCI events are always a dicy affair. many times the judges did not know their onions, I have heard that my engine is not original, I should have a Bing carb on my bike when the manual shows Amal, etc. Anyhow this time judging was done differently. Mr. Manvendra Barwani did the cars, Mr. P.P.Asher did the bikes. These two gents evaluated the restoration etc, had nothing to do with prizes awarded for the rally drive (read performance). And the organisers gave themselves prizes like most unique car etc. The Avon has to be unique, attempt are being made to sell it at a unique price in Rajasthan.

Mr. Ashar insisted that the bikes he gives a prize to must complete the run. So a lovely Norton Featherbed did not get a prize. But for the cars, this was not insisted upon. So cars which did not complete the drive still managed to get prizes.

I have experienced that the prizes given are more on political grounds than on merit, and this statement can be and will be proved if required. And this is the reason that sometimes I do not get the cars washed when bringing to a rally, even the dust on the car should be period vintage. Fancy dressing up is not enough. After spending on the entance fees, actually had no money left to get the cars washed!

A suggestion to future participants, do it for fun and not for prizes, it just ain't worth it!
Old 10th July 2009, 02:57   #191
Senior - BHPian

The costumes look as colourful as the cars.Looks like they are from Rajasthan
Old 11th July 2009, 11:18   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have experienced that the prizes given are more on political grounds than on merit, and this statement can be and will be proved if required. And this is the reason that sometimes I do not get the cars washed when bringing to a rally, even the dust on the car should be period vintage. Fancy dressing up is not enough. After spending on the entance fees, actually had no money left to get the cars washed!
Now here I beg to differ. We all agree that we take part for the fun of it, from an enthusiasts point of view, and to see the other great cars which we see only once a year. How can you bring your car to an event like this without atleast washing it? For the benefit of other viewers if not for judges. C'mon, be a sport
Old 11th July 2009, 19:18   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now here I beg to differ. We all agree that we take part for the fun of it, from an enthusiasts point of view, and to see the other great cars which we see only once a year. How can you bring your car to an event like this without atleast washing it? For the benefit of other viewers if not for judges. C'mon, be a sport
Actually I agree with you but VCCCI does not see it that way, discriminating between participants in charging entrance fees. There are many participants on this forum. Just ask how many of them received a mail asking them to collect their participation kits on the previous Saturday after 6 PM? I know many who did not and can prove to some extent in print. It was a bulk mail, many email id's were missing and I personally confirmed with many that they never received such a mail. If required, I can tell a nice and true story on this subject.

Cheers harit
Old 11th July 2009, 19:43   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually I agree with you but VCCCI does not see it that way, discriminating between participants in charging entrance fees. There are many participants on this forum. Just ask how many of them received a mail asking them to collect their participation kits on the previous Saturday after 6 PM? I know many who did not and can prove to some extent in print. It was a bulk mail, many email id's were missing and I personally confirmed with many that they never received such a mail. If required, I can tell a nice and true story on this subject.

Cheers harit
Do tell please. This is not an isolated event, APMSC was know to subscribe to this theory wholeheartedly and the cars belonging to the committee friends always won the prizes in rotation. They were atleast good about that the rotation I mean.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:05   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this lovely photo of President's 1957 1100 at the recent VCCCI rally.

Aaja meri gaadi mein baith ja....EXPLORED! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

WIAA & VCCCI Rally. Bombay, 5th April 2009.-2171.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks