Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 20:43   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I hope this rally was not a precedent for the future.
'hoping the same!
Indeed a shame!

(with my final year English exams coming up next month, I've more or less been shifting into automatic rhyming gear now and then! )
Old 13th April 2009, 23:05   #167

Dear Wasif & Karlos, the vertical clyinders are indeed the starter and dynamo mde by Lucas , they run on the crankshaft through a gear arrangement. The rods that you see in front of the engine are for advance retard movement of the magneto which just about see in the bottom left corner of the pic. .

The body work is by Lanchester themselves and so is the carb. The car has both a magneto and a distributor for ignition as found common on many high end cars of that era, you can use either or both systems together; it also has a double set of spark plugs [i.e. 12 spark plugs for six clyinders] one set for magneto and the other set to run on the coil via the distributor.

The engine is also quite advanced it has an overhead cam. The engine was fully overhauled with new valves pistons etc.

We had the pistons custom made in UK and were very fortunate to find a brand new water pump [ as per the supplier the only brand new OE pump left in the world]
Old 14th April 2009, 08:49   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris1948 View Post
The engine is also quite advanced it has an overhead cam. The engine was fully overhauled with new valves pistons etc.
It seems this car has poppet valves & not sleeve valves, as I assumed.

Aditya
Old 14th April 2009, 10:13   #169
Senior - BHPian

Thats a long list of participants.
Old 14th April 2009, 10:26   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris1948 View Post
Dear Wasif & Karlos....]
Hi There Morris.

Thanks for the clarifications on the lanchester. By the sound of your post it would appear that you were responsible for its wonderful restoration.

If possible please do share pictures and info on this car, how it was to start with etc.

Also I'm sure me and others on this forum would love to hear and see your other projects, present and past.

Regards

Wasif
Old 20th April 2009, 23:12   #171

Dear Wasif,

I was involved in the restoration of the Lanchester to provide parts and genrally to overlook the overall restoration for trying to get her back to her formal glory. The car was bought from the Gondal collection around 18/20 years ago. The restoration started in 2002 , it was very painfully slow but all the hard work and money spent has borne fruit as you can make out from the pictures.
The car was virtually complete but lacked variuos things like the lamps were incomplete ,no seats ,broken and rusted hood frame ,no centre screen, etc,etc. all the fittings and fixtures that you see have been aquired at considerable cost and effort over a number of years.
Am currently working on a 47 buick convertible and 2 MG TC's, XK120,55 Dodge Kingsway. Have just finished the 34 Graham and 55 Chevy 210 sedan [both on shown on this post] Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi There Morris.

Thanks for the clarifications on the lanchester. By the sound of your post it would appear that you were responsible for its wonderful restoration.

If possible please do share pictures and info on this car, how it was to start with etc.

Also I'm sure me and others on this forum would love to hear and see your other projects, present and past.

Regards

Wasif
Old 21st April 2009, 10:48   #172
Senior - BHPian

Dear Morris1948.

Thanks for the reply.I had correctly assumed you are a man of considerable knowledge and experience

It would be a learning experience for all to hear more from you and see the cars you have done and are in the process of doing.

Is the XK120 a Roadster by any chance with the alloy body ???

Please post pictures of the work in progress on the Buick and the MG's.

Regards

Wasif
Old 23rd April 2009, 19:45   #173
Senior - BHPian

Hi cld u pls upload more pics of the lancia wld like to see them.

Note from Mods : Please avoid SMS/shortforms as per the Team-BHP rules. Take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette) for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th April 2009 at 02:25. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:30   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi cld u pls upload more pics of the lancia wld like to see them.
You can find more pics of both Lancias here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...es-report.html
Old 24th April 2009, 20:53   #175
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much.
Old 25th April 2009, 19:21   #176
Senior - BHPian

This is a picture taken at an old rally in Mumbai, this was opposite NCPA.
The little boy is very famous today, high profile but full of tension. Any guess?

In all probability Vikram Pandit of Citigroup. How children grow!
This Ford A came for the rally, again they won a prize for period costumes and now declared that they will not compete for this prize in future, but may participate in fancy costumes.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
WIAA & VCCCI Rally. Bombay, 5th April 2009.-pandit.jpg  

Old 25th April 2009, 23:28   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
In all probability Vikram Pandit of Citigroup. How children grow!
This Ford A came for the rally, again they won a prize for period costumes and now declared that they will not compete for this prize in future, but may participate in fancy costumes.

Cheers harit
That does not work out some how, even if this picture was from 1980 and I dont think its older then that, vikram Pandit currently in his early 50's would have been in his 20's none of the kids look that old to me
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:23   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

A neat blog entry on the rally can be found here

Windy Skies: Vintage and Classic Cars Rally at Nariman Point

Amongst the comments is Roy Wadia's

Quote:
This was beautifully written, many thanks for sharing this. My grandfather and father, the late JBH Wadia (founder of Wadia Movietone) and Vinci Wadia respectively, had a wonderful classic they entered in the vintage car rally year after year. My late brother Riyad Wadia drove it in the rally a couple of times. The car was then stored in the garage for years before my dad sold it about eight years ago. Your article brings back memories, and the vignettes you've described are very nicely done. Best wishes, Roy Wadia
Any idea which Rolls this is, and who owns it now?
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:34   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A neat blog entry on the rally can be found here

Windy Skies: Vintage and Classic Cars Rally at Nariman Point

Amongst the comments is Roy Wadia's

Any idea which Rolls this is, and who owns it now?
intresting piece of writing, writer seems to be fascinated by mercedes present.
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:25   #180
Senior - BHPian

Hi, the blog windy skies does indeed have errors, does anyone remember seeing Jackie's SS 100? Maybe I will post a summary later.
Now about Mr. Wadia, well I know of two cars which his family had. A Chrysler roadster of the 1930's and a Merc 250SE series 108.
Unfortunately they never looked after their cars. They live on the Worli seaface. The Chrysler was corroded to the core, and tin work was once done in a garage near Worli Village near the Naval establishment end. Today that car belongs to Kundalmal's collection.
The Merc was abandoned with a mechanic at the start of Worli seaface, lot of parts missing. The car now belongs to me, lying in Nashik, body work done. Maybe I will keep its fuel injection system.
I find a Rolls being mentioned, have no idea if they had one lately. Went through the blog, could not find a reference, maybe I missed. These are the last 2 cars I knew about and mentioned, but surely they had more cars in the days of old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks