Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 01:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Wow, some amazingly restored cars!

The paint finish is just spectacular.

John, i love that last picture (cadillac V8 w/ the vents) - worthy of the "auto image thread"

cya
R
Old 27th February 2009, 05:56   #17
BHPian

Sanjay"s Stable

For the first time this year, Sanjay apart from finishing off restoring two customers cars for the Tolly and Statesman Shows, concentrated on his own stable with some new interiors, re-chroming, tires, touch-up paint inside and out, etc, etc; to the point where they couldn't get any better!

The 1947 Chevrolet Fleetmaster.
The 1947 Buick Roadmaster.
The 1950 Cadillac V8.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4300.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4281.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4299.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4298.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4297.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4283.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4294.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4295.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4284.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2009, 07:50   #18
BHPian

Sanjay"s Stable

An American "Ikon" the 1932 Ford V8, his Grandfather's car that put Sanjay on the road that lead him to starting his Vintage & Classic Restoration Works.

It has become a way of life, 24/7, for all his family with sundays off to relax a little and enjoy driving one of their Treasured Beauties. It's like "having your cake and eating it".

I am sure that both his grandfather and Old Henry Ford are very pleased.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4275.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4276.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4277.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4282.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4278.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4280.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by john a milne : 27th February 2009 at 07:53. Reason: typo
Old 27th February 2009, 10:53   #19
BHPian

Calcutta - 1960's Jaguar Mark 10 Restoration

This is an ongoing project that Sanjay Ghosh started over a year ago, and has been on hold for a few months and is now back out in the works.

This car is indeed a "REFUGE" from the scrap yard and a major challenge to restore. Hopefully Billy will post photos as the work progresses.

The Mark 10 was Jaguar's biggest model offering "Grace, Space & Pace" at a price that was far less then the prestige cars. Not my favorite Jaguar but a ride in one is so very comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-1_2.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-2_2.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-7_2.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-6_2.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-12.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-13.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-1a.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by john a milne : 27th February 2009 at 10:57. Reason: correction
Old 27th February 2009, 12:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

In the 3rd photo I see the welder working on the foot well. why, if the garage is good, are the meters not removed before such a job? or atleast covered so that there are no sparks or scratches/dust on/in them? This is what I consider a careless way of working. Even good parts,decals,meters get spoilt due to this attitude!
If the car was like a refuge then all the more reason to completely dismantle and then go chassis up!
Old 27th February 2009, 15:57   #21

Any restoration going on in Sanjoy's garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Just off the Kona Expressway that runs from the new bridge east, very close to the Highway to Bombay, Planning a visit soon?

Spoke to my good friend Prasant in Guwahati and he will check on the original color of the Fiat, At this point the old gentleman still wants to use it but eventually is looking for a good home for it , any idea what would be a fair price? Prasant is building a 6 car garage and said I could park it there so when I come to visit I have to tour around. It's a great place!

Still awaiting your insights on the chromed Fiat hub caps that are on the call.
Sorry if I put you in the lime light about finding the right lady to share your passions, now that you are becoming established the world is waiting for!
Is Sanjoy working on some restoration currently? would like to drop in and watch his people bring a vintage back to life.
Old 27th February 2009, 16:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coomar View Post
Is Sanjoy working on some restoration currently? would like to drop in and watch his people bring a vintage back to life.
He always is working on something, never a dull moment!
Old 28th February 2009, 13:21   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
In the 3rd photo I see the welder working on the foot well. why, if the garage is good, are the meters not removed before such a job? or atleast covered so that there are no sparks or scratches/dust on/in them? This is what I consider a careless way of working. Even good parts,decals,meters get spoilt due to this attitude!
If the car was like a refuge then all the more reason to completely dismantle and then go chassis up!

I have to agree with you on this point. Many very big names in the industry do this short-cut restoration. It is simply inexcusable, especially when working on these rare cars. When a car is scrapped to bare metal how can you leave the glasses on, then spray over it and then clean it up?! Terrible.
Old 28th February 2009, 14:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

I am appalled at this callous attitude. Even I dont allow my guy to touch my car unless everything is off. Still, earlier i used to find something or the other damaged or amiss.
I would bring the house down if my guy were to do something like this to any car, leave alone a car of this vintage.
Old 28th February 2009, 16:43   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I am appalled at this callous attitude. Even I dont allow my guy to touch my car unless everything is off. Still, earlier i used to find something or the other damaged or amiss.
I would bring the house down if my guy were to do something like this to any car, leave alone a car of this vintage.
There were some budget constraints on this project which has been put on hold for a few months and is now back into the works. Most of the work I have seen would meet your approval.

I had some hard decisions to make when I started the Fiat Deluxe and would have gone for a concours restoration but as it was to be my daily driver cut back. I still have mixed feelings when I am washing and cleaning it and notice a number of small things. I just changed out the door windows that I had passed on before and am very pleased. It is a work in progress and gives thing to do while I here.

I am considering getting the 63 Fiat I saw in Guwahati and doing it up as a daily driver and them finishing off the deluxe for special occasions. Parking has been an issue but a friend from the US has an empty spot at his Condo here that i can use.

"One has to walk the spiritual path with practical feet"
Old 1st March 2009, 11:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey John.

In the last picture of your post 20 what is the car that is just visible parked besides the Jag.

Also in the first picture we can see the rear of a cream / green car that looks like a Studbaker. Is this correct.

Please post pic of these cars if possible.

Wasif
Old 1st March 2009, 14:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hey John.

In the last picture of your post 20 what is the car that is just visible parked besides the Jag.

Also in the first picture we can see the rear of a cream / green car that looks like a Studbaker. Is this correct.

Please post pic of these cars if possible.

Wasif
Wasif,

This link permalink will show you a similar car on the forum (and with a remarkable history at that) and give you the name to the cream and green one here. Apparently the Rootes Group design effort found a muse in the Raymond Loewy Design House, so you are not off the mark at all in mistaking her for a Stude .

Cheers,

Prabal
Old 1st March 2009, 15:27   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Apparently the Rootes Group design effort found a muse in the Raymond Loewy Design House, so you are not off the mark at all in mistaking her for a Stude .
And incidentally, Loewy's design, already making it's way on the Rootes cars of that time, also almost found it's way to the drawing-board of Standard-Triumph, who were looking for a suitable, innovative design for their new intended model, codenamed "Zobo", back in the late '50s to replace the Standard 10. This Lowey-inspired design was considered by S-T.

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_2516.jpg

Long story short, they then discarded it on finding Giovanni Michelotti, a talented young artist in Italy, who made them a well-received final design for 'Zobo', which was subsequently (IMHO, aptly!) named the 'Herald'!

Last edited by Stanher : 1st March 2009 at 15:47.
Old 5th March 2009, 03:56   #29
BHPian

Xk 120

I Beg Your Pardon But The Xk 120 In The Picture Is Not Owned By Mr. Sanjay Ghosh. This Car Is Owned By Mr. Agarwal Of Dhanbad, Bihar. This Had Come To Mr.ghosh For Minor Paintwork And Seats, After Which Was Taken In The Rally In His Name. Now The Car Is Back To Its Real Home In Bihar....
Old 5th March 2009, 13:30   #30
BHPian

Calcutta - 1960's Jaguar Mark 10 Restoration

Here's an update on the Jaguar MK 10 that is back into Sanjay's works and making good progress with about 7 people busy on it.

The big challenge will be doing the interior particularly the wood work which I have yet to see a really good job done here in Calcutta. The burl wood finishes in these cars is a delight to the eyes.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4790.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4807.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4795.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4791.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4792.jpg  

Attached Images

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks