Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2023, 08:04   #331

Re: Packards in India

Here is a recent photo of my 1934 Packard which has been doing the circuit this year in Europe and received well wherever she showed.
Attached Thumbnails
Packards in India-dinard.jpg  

Packards in India-ncg_2477-black-background.jpg  

Packards in India-photo2.jpg  

Packards in India-pod.jpg  

Packards in India-rt-side.jpg  

Packards in India-st-malo.jpg  

Packards in India-tpci-badge.jpeg  

rajivkehr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 10:11   #332
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivkehr View Post
Here is a recent photo of my 1934 Packard which has been doing the circuit this year in Europe and received well wherever she showed.
What a beautiful car. Always facinating to see this Packard.

Glad to note she is rightly being received well across Europe.

Cheers

KPS
Old 5th January 2024, 21:17   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
An very very early Packard import:

Attachment 2473112
Packards in India-packard-12-cyl-miss-maynard-indian-motor-news-april-1920-pg2-cropped.jpg

Packards in India-maharaja-packard-12-cyl-indian-motor-news-april-1920-miss-maynard-cropped.jpg

The entire caption and a description of Miss Maynard. Indian Motor News, April 1920
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 20:48   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

A large Packard with Rollston coachwork seen in Calcutta doing ceremonial duties for a deity. The car survives in Indore.

Packards in India-99-1.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 03:21   #335
BHPian

Submitted with the permission of occasional Team-BHP contributor Peter Brown is this advertisement calendar. Printed on a thin sheet of steel, it was recently bought by Peter on eBay.

Could anyone comment on whether or not this suggests that Dadajiee (sic?) Dhackjee & Co. were authorised agents for Packard Cars in India and Ceylon? Note that 'Colombo', the capital of Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), has been added, seemingly in alphabetical order, as one of the cities with Dadaj(i)ee Dhackjee representation.

Other spelling mistakes aside, should the first portion of the company's title have been spelt 'Dadajee' instead of 'Dadajiee'?

Packards in India-1935-packard-advertisement_calendar.jpeg
Roger OZ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2024, 09:44   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger OZ View Post
Submitted with the permission of occasional Team-BHP contributor Peter Brown is this advertisement calendar. Printed on a thin sheet of steel, it was recently bought by Peter on eBay.

Could anyone comment on whether or not this suggests that Dadajiee (sic?) Dhackjee & Co. were authorised agents for Packard Cars in India and Ceylon? Note that 'Colombo', the capital of Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), has been added, seemingly in alphabetical order, as one of the cities with Dadaj(i)ee Dhackjee representation.

Other spelling mistakes aside, should the first portion of the company's title have been spelt 'Dadajee' instead of 'Dadajiee'?

Attachment 2599408
They were agents for cars in Ceylon in 1935 when it was still a British colony. If memory serves me right, Ceylon attained Independence soon after India.
Old 27th April 2024, 10:38   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
They were agents for cars in Ceylon in 1935 when it was still a British colony. If memory serves me right, Ceylon attained Independence soon after India.
Thank you, Bulldogji. Yes, Ceylon - where I was born in 1949 - attained Independence on February 4, 1948, nearly six months after India in August 1947.

Last edited by Roger OZ : 27th April 2024 at 10:40.
Roger OZ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks