Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 15:23   #91
BHPian

Re: If you got Rs. 30 Lakhs to blow on a new car, what would you do?

If I had 30 Lakhs right now, I would buy two cars-

1. Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI (To drive myself) - Amazing car to drive!!

2. Nissan Sunny (For the chauffeur) - Big on rear leg-space....
Old 7th May 2014, 18:17   #92
Senior - BHPian

My Thoughts purely from the logicl point of view:

1) Honda CRv
2) Swift ZDI- For daily chores

The remaining in the Bank and the interest so derived will contribute partly towards fuel expenses and maintenance
Old 7th May 2014, 18:27   #93
BANNED

If I had 30 lakhs I will definitely go for an armoured Scorpio! I think that will come 30 lakhs because they are asking 12lakhs for the armour and 15 lakhs for the car IIRC. Much better than fortuner or anything else in my opinion if substance is given more priority over style.
Old 7th May 2014, 18:45   #94
BHPian

Hyundai Sonata CRDi (the version before the current one)
Ford Fiesta (the Non-Classic one)
Mahindra Bolero CRDe (97 hp)

Ho gaye 30 lakh khatam! Maybe slightly overran too
Old 7th May 2014, 19:18   #95
BHPian

My combo would be:

Gypsy King Soft Top + Offroad Build = ~ 10 Lakhs
New Skoda Octavia (Stock) = ~ 18 Lakhs
Royal Enfield Classic 500 / Yamaha RD 350 = ~ 2 Lakhs

Add my existing Polo Highline TSI and you have a vehicle for most occasions. A kickass bike, a small hatch for city driving, a nice sedan for social events and a 4x4 for getting your feet dirty.
Old 7th May 2014, 20:43   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHANKY11 View Post

I hope people who read my boring and long story would understand my requirements and would help me out in making a choice. Any suggestions and inputs are welcome.

Also, need expert help on the use of AWD in an XUV. I dont know how the on-demand AWD works and if its really useful as compared to traditional 4X4 vehicles. My usage will comprise of 25% city runs and the rest highways with occasional trips to Ladakh and other such remote areas (Where I think the AWD will be useful). I dont want to do any serious offroading. Will the AWD still be useful i my case? Plz help guys. Your inputs can help me saving 1.2 lacs and a month's waiting period.
How about I suggest you a Ssangyong Rexton?

It is much comfier than a fortuner, has much plusher interiors, considerably less expensive, has reasonable performance, has old school body on frame chassis so should be good offroad as well.

So it should suit most of your needs.

Even after you buy the rexton, I think there will be change to spend on a smaller fun to driver car as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
First of all even the entry level sedans from the Germans have fully loaded variants. Generally speaking even the base variant is pretty well loaded. My base variant 320d comes with all the following features:
Damn, If I really wanted a German car I now definitely know where to look for it. The Doc's BMW is quite a tempting proposition.

It has got more than enough features for most people, rear wheel drive and state of the art Drivetrain (unlike the A4), has a 6 year warranty!, is fuel efficient (Last time i checked Doc's pic the I drive showed the mileage in 15's) and being a bmw is sun to drive.

I think 33-34 lakhs is quite reasonable for 320d.

But what I can't make out is how the hell does a fully loaded 118d costs close to 40 lakhs when you can get a 3series base variant for less than that!
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 21:34   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Damn, If I really wanted a German car I now definitely know where to look for it.
Well contrary to popular belief the base variants also come pretty much loaded with features.

Quote:
has a 6 year warranty!, is fuel efficient (Last time i checked Doc's pic the I drive showed the mileage in 15's) and being a bmw is sun to drive.
The 6 year warranty has to be bought at ad additional cost close to 4L rs along with the BSI pack. So for 6 years after that all your services are free ( or rather have been paid for).

And yes the new 8 speed ZF gear box has enabled BMW to achieve really high mileage figures from the 320d ( not that it matters). Even on sports mode you can easily achieve 13-14 kmpl. On Eco-pro mode you will reach 16-17 kmpl.
Old 7th May 2014, 21:40   #98
BHPian

I would go for these :-
  • Polo GT TDI - 8.10 (for daily commute)
  • Fiat Linea T-Jet - 10.00 (for the enthusiast in me & for long drives)
  • Honda CBR 650 F - 6.00 (I'm a biker. Weekend biking)
  • Vespa VX - 0.70 (for small trip to shops)

Total - 24.8 Lakhs

Rest all for fuel & mods.

Last edited by 0xTKB : 7th May 2014 at 22:08.
Old 7th May 2014, 22:05   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
First of all even the entry level sedans from the Germans have fully loaded variants. Generally speaking even the base variant is pretty well loaded. My base variant 320d comes with all the following features:

Coming to the first upgrade to 5/E/A6: All these cars practically cost upward of 50L and have an even higher maintenance cost. How many of us in a lifetime will be able to afford a 50L + car unless we have inherited a fortune? It is in this scenario that ti indulge most people resort to buying the entry level offerings from these premium car makers. Please consider that a jump from this to the next segment is going to cost you a cool 20L more.
Not sure why you are trying to convince everyone on this thread to the 3 series.

The 3 series ofcourse has good features. Noone is denying that but does it have the space of a Superb or Passat at the back.

Features missing from the lowest 3 series trim that is still more than 30lakhs:

1. No sun roof
2. No leather seats only synthetic what BMW call sensatec
3. No front parking sensors
4. No reversing camera
5. No paddle shifters
6. No spare tyre

Above features are available on the Passat and Superb along with some extra features as well.

Secondly, the 5/E/A6 are above 50L but they share a lot of common mechanicals unless you go for the 6 cylinder ones. The A4/C/3 already have stratospheric maintenance costs and the 5/E/6 are only incremental and not much higher. If you pay 30K for a C class service, the E class will be 40K.

Going to that segment is indeed a 20L jump but if you are looking at the 3 or C, the Jetta is half the cost. You can get 2 Jetta's one manual and one AT for the price of a 320D here.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 22:44   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not sure why you are trying to convince everyone on this thread to the 3 series.
I am not convincing anyone about anything vid. Atleast that wasn't the intention. I mention 3 series each time and not the A4 and C because I am more well versed with its features and what it offers since I own one. As far as my view on this thread is concerned, I very well summed it up on the first page itself. Not sure which one of my posts appeared over the board to warrant that remark.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 23:16   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The 3 series ofcourse has good features. No one is denying that but does it have the space of a Superb or Passat at the back.
Features missing from the lowest 3 series trim that is still more than 30lakhs:
A very sensible post and I absolutely agree here. I would choose a Jetta DSG Highline over a Beemer 3 series any day, unless of course I'm very brand conscious.

My personal view :
a. I just want to go from point a to point b and I care about fuel efficiency also: Alto.
b. (a) + want to have a little bit of fun as well: Polo 1.2 TSI.
c. (b) + I carry extra luggage most of the times + I have arrived a bit in life: Vento TSI.
d. (c) + want to go from point a to point b in luxury, elegance + I have arrived in life at last: Jetta Highline TDI 2.0 DSG.
e. (d) + very brand conscious + you live life only once + absolutely car enthusiast + I enjoy people murmur about the car in which I arrived: BMW/Merc/Audi.
f. Ignore all the above points, I'm a young entrepreneur with an exquisite taste for finesse/fine things life has to offer: Mercedes S Class and the like.
e. what the fish, do you think about money also for buying a car, eh, is it not like get up, go, issue cheque and come back home sleep?: Bugatti Veyron.

But I think after point D for most people it's the intangibles like brand, well intentioned pride etc. that might lead people to go for Merc etc otherwise a Jetta class cars would do most of what the above class cars do save for the BHP/Space.

This post is not to hurt anyone nor as a response to any other posts.
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 00:07   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Can you please PM me or Email me the details of this Fortuner. I would really be interested in checking out the car. Unable to PM you because of your newbie status. Please drop me a PM or Email @ dr.mohitg@yahoo.com.
Thanks a lot.
Buddy, the fortuner in question has been sold now. Just checked with my friend.
Old 8th May 2014, 05:44   #103
BANNED

Nice thread man, Quite interesting replies.

A question close to my heart and a situation I'll find myself in the next 6 months.

2 requirements - Manual & Petrol, alas nothing above the Jetta in the 30L Budget.
Old 8th May 2014, 08:46   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quite a read this thread.
Personally , I would go for a Toyota Innova Diesel for all my commuter / mileage / comfort / point a to b needs. And pick up a used BMW 325i or a 330i if available or an equivalent Audi for those spirited driving times. (You can change this with an accord v6 or a skoda rs or any other car of your liking.)
Two things to note here , I am a believer of the " buy used " concept when it comes to cars and buying a used German does not mean that the maintenance would be halved.
Also , I like and enjoy the idea of searching for a used car that meets my requirements.
Alternatively you could pick up the Toyota fortuner and get it done with.
You could also pick up a used E class or a 5 series if you feeling adventurous.
The possibilities are extensive.

Last edited by bigron : 8th May 2014 at 09:01.
Old 8th May 2014, 11:27   #105
BHPian

A Very interesting thread and a lot of interesting points of view.

Before I share my choice, let me think out aloud:

"When the thread started, the question was what will we do if we get 30 L to spend on a car, one car or multiple was the thought"

Down the line there was another presumption that if we could spend 30L for a car, we would be wealthy enough to maintain those cars.

Now for some Questions & Answers to myself:

Where am I driving: India
How comfortable is it to drive in India: EEh, Whats that? (Experience the best of this at the Rajouri Garden area in New Delhi during peak traffic).
What are the fears: Well, the fear of other drivers crashing into you and breaking your heart, and denting your carefully kept vehicle.
How do we avoid this: Have a nice big vehicle similar to the one politicians use as other road users generally steer clear of these vehicles or have a truck.

Now keeping these in mind, and also keeping in mind that I may have just won a lottery of 30L on the condition that I could spend it only in a vehicle, what would I choose? I think, a Safari Storme Ladakh edition with a flag post in the bonnet and lots of cladding and a Harley (As I still love to ride). Use 50% of the remaining cash to mod these vehicles to my liking and the remaining for maintenance of these.
ksmrsm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks