Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2017, 09:21   #211
BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Doing a lot of research on this subject, I find myself veering to the above conclusion as well.

It does have more interior space including for luggage and feels more spacious inside than the new Dzire.

I can't see why one would choose the boot of the Dzire over that of the Jazz hatchback; no advantages that are obvious to me, leaving all else out but just this as the comparison point.

Of course, test driving both is highly recommended; the new Dzire is very good car in many respects.
Why not the Baleno then? I personally feel Baleno is a bit better than the Jazz in several aspects, and it comes with a cheaper tag and better ASS too.
Old 28th June 2017, 10:26   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga)

Test drive between Baleno and Jazz will decide the choice. Having a dog sit in the boot may be more comfortable in the Jazz. And the general feel of spaciousness and ease of driving in the city.

Last edited by Sawyer : 28th June 2017 at 10:40.
Old 28th June 2017, 19:46   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I did a 1100 kms round trip to Kodaikanal and back from Chennai between, 18th and 22nd, June, 2017. My car: 2017 City VX CVT performed flawlessly. I was a little skeptical of using the Eco mode, before the trip. I started using the Eco mode since I was cruising the highways. The car was loaded with luggage and 4 adults, you just have to flex your right foot and you get enough passing power and enough grunt for the inclines on the ghats, it was in Eco Mode through out. I have left it in ECo Mode even in the urban runs too, now. Go ahead and plan your trip, but treat the BR-V as a 6 seater and not a 7 seater as it has less width. For the car to perform well and occupants to be comfy add one member less for long hauls. I'm a family of 4 and my family was extremely comfy with just two in the backseat!
Thanks for the info. I do realize it will be a tight fit. The reason for the forthcoming trip is to test the BRV's engine and overall handling when loaded to the max. This trip wil be a short one. For regular trips it will be only be 4 adults with a decent amount of luggage. I currently use a Ford Fiesta 1.6SXI (which is a delight to drive) as long distance tourer. The aim is to see if the BRV is fit to replace the Ford, since it is more modern, more spacious, has a CVT, bigger tyres and better ground clearance.
A point to note is that, the same engine/CVT combo may perform differently in a City vis a vis the BRV.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 29th June 2017 at 07:54.
Old 29th June 2017, 07:53   #214
Senior - BHPian

My wife has liked the Kwid Automatic for its ease of use (comes with a knob selector). Would this be a good buy at 5.5-6 lakhs? Does anyone know anyone with this model? Im only asking from reliability point of view.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 29th June 2017, 08:53   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My wife has liked the Kwid Automatic for its ease of use (comes with a knob selector). Would this be a good buy at 5.5-6 lakhs? Does anyone know anyone with this model? Im only asking from reliability point of view.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
The big negatives of Kwid automatic are the absence of manual mode and creep functionality. Apart from that it has very high VFM in its segment. IMO it's too early to speak anything about the long term reliability since the "Kwid AMT", as a model itself, is less than a year old! The fact that there is no thread on TBHP titled "Renault Kwid issues" is an assurance that nothing major is wrong with the car
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 10:00   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The big negatives of Kwid automatic are the absence of manual mode and creep functionality.
The absence of creep functionality in an AMT will actually improve the long term reliability, because the clutch would then engage only when you press the gas (for moving forward).
A typical AMT with creep functionality will wear out the clutch sooner, specifically if you have the habit of waiting in 'D' mode with the brakes.
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 16:21   #217
BHPian

Want to highlight how my recent AT booking was made:

So a new need - 8 month old member in family with daily runs to day care. Current car is a 2011 i10 Sportz AT. The missus felt it was time to move on...(though it's in stellar running condition - only 30k in 6 years)

Requirements:
1. AT Hatch only. Wife not comfortable with a sedan. Very ambivalent about a SUV - she hates high GC since she usually feels a bit roadsick.
2. ISOFIX anchors. While seatbelt versions were ok, the baby seat was moving about a wee bit with seatblets. Wanted peace of mind.
3. Black interiors. The little chap is a mini tornado. No patience to clean and maintain beige interiors.
4. Spacious Rear Seat for the Child Seat: Both i10 and my Polo GT emphatically don't tick this box
5. Request Sensors on both sides. Keyless entry preferred. Carrying baby on arm, diaper bag in the other...fumbling for keys is a real pain
6. Reverse Camera
7. ABS/Airbags. Ideally ESP.
8 Prefers a 'neat and clean' look. For example, hates the faux vents in the Jazz rear bumper. Doesn't like much chrome.
9. Height adjustable driver's seat. Likes seeing the bonnet edge.
10. An apple aficionado, she would love Car Play.

To my surprise, the ONLY car which met these criteria was Baleno CVT Alpha!
d_himan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 09:54   #218
BHPian

Hello Folks,
Need your valuable suggestions.
We are in the hunt of a second car and we already have a Ciaz ZDi+ May 2017 model. Intend to use the second one for 3 ~ 4 years
The second one needs to be an Automatic, Sedan and a used one with a budget up-to 8 lakhs
On our hunt in recent one week the most available ones in Bangalore are
2009 ~ 2012 Cruze LTZ
2010 ~ 2012 Honda City V CVT
2010 ~ 2013 Hyundai Verna 1.6 pertol / diesel

Looks like it is the best time to buy used Cruze but then we are worried on maintenance, is it worth the risk? Will serviceability be a problem even if Mahindra takes over.

On City - we haven't used a petrol car in our family yet, what will be the real mileage in Bangalore considering the fact we need to travel close to 40 Kms a day in Outer Ring Road? No doubt on reliability here.

On Verna - Both me and wife didn't really like the way the Transmission behaved. But is has a good refined engine though.

Please suggest what to pick or should we consider something else as well?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
Old 8th August 2017, 23:11   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Need your valuable suggestions.
We are in the hunt of a second car and we already have a Ciaz ZDi+ May 2017 model. Intend to use the second one for 3 ~ 4 years

Going for a Chevrolet at this juncture is not really advisable since GMC is exiting India and are downsizing operations to sustain with minimal infrastructure to support the last cars sold in the warranty period. In any case GMC is not particularly known for long term reliability.

Are you sure the Honda City of tge period mentioned has a CVT and not a torque converter?

On Verna, it is equipped with a basic 4 speed automatic and gear changes are going to be jerky thereby impacting the driving comfort.

Last edited by ampere : 9th August 2017 at 07:25. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 05:58   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Going for a Chevrolet at this juncture is not really advisable since GMC is exiting India and are downsizing operations to sustain with minimal infrastructure to support the last cars sold in the warranty period. In any case GMC is not particularly known for long term reliability.

Are you sure the Honda City of tge period mentioned has a CVT and not a torque converter?

On Verna, it is equipped with a basic 4 speed automatic and gear changes are going to be jerky thereby impacting the driving comfort.
My 2006 city is a CVT, so yes, City was into CVTs long back.
My bets would be on the city unless for not only parts/service but also because it is easier to find an auto city for sale than the others.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 09:06   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Yes CITY is having a CVT for a long time now!

Quote:
Exactly, even my wife (no offense thought) could feel the difference in vehicle response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
My bets would be on the city unless for not only parts/service but also because it is easier to find an auto city for sale than the others.
What is the real time mileage for Honda City in usual city traffics?

We liked to get a Vento / Polo / Rapid for the mileage but it is really hard to fine one in used car market at-least in Bangalore.

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2017, 13:13   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
What is the real time mileage for Honda City in usual city traffics?
Cheers!
This is for the Honda City CVT. The manual transmission ones may give a higher mileage.
Around 10 in bad traffic (Bangalore peak hour).
Around 11 to 12 if not much traffic.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2017, 13:18   #223
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
My 2006 city is a CVT, so yes, City was into CVTs long back.

Honda City dolphin shape and ZX were equipped with a CVT. When the I-vtec was launched it came with a 5-speed torque converter. In 2014, When the new city was launched it was again launched with a CVT.
Old 10th August 2017, 09:36   #224
BHPian

Almost going for the grand i10 AT.
Could someone help me with a few doubts, please.

1) Would coasting confuse a torque converter gear box? Not that I intent to coast, just would like to be extra sure to prevent damage.

2) Anyone having comparisons of gear ratios of the manual and automatic variants of the Indian grand i10?

3) A brochure of the South African grand i10, available online shows gear ratios of both the versions, would the Indian model be having the same setup?

Any inputs would be of great help.
Old 21st August 2017, 10:08   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
The absence of creep functionality in an AMT will actually improve the long term reliability, because the clutch would then engage only when you press the gas (for moving forward).
A typical AMT with creep functionality will wear out the clutch sooner, specifically if you have the habit of waiting in 'D' mode with the brakes.
Please have a look at the following thread to understand this. The creep function has a higher possibility of frying the clutch.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4250749
PS: There is a reason why the AMT was rejected by countries where mileage is not a big concern.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 21st August 2017 at 10:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks