Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 18:58   #376
BHPian

Re: The 'Garage dilemma' thread : Buy / sell / keep / shuffle my cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
I own a 2019, Vitara Brezza ZDI+ AGS, run 9000km, the experience with the car has been average. The built quality and the not so smooth AGS, can be lived with. The car was purchased in Oct 2019, when very few auto diesel options were available in the compact SUV range in Diesels.

Since the launch of new Sonet, there is an itch to sell the Brezza and go for the Diesel AT in Sonet.

I would like opinion to go for a Diesel AT Sonet in HTK+ Or hold onto Brezza ZDI+ AGS for few more years.

I don’t have any loan on the car...

(I am sure convincing my better half will be difficult task on this)

Regards
Most people might ask you to hold on to your Brezza.
A search on a web site tells me your used car valuation is around 11.5 lakhs in Hyderabad.
Let’s keep things simple. Pay another 90k and bring home the Sonet htk+ D AT.
You will miss very little from your Brezza.
Give it thought but don’t complicate your decision making with extensive thinking. That’s what works in this case.
But before anything, TD the Sonet extensively. With your family preferably. New Car, new colour, different interiors, who knows they might compel you to buy the Sonet.Good luck.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 10:23   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Most people might ask you to hold on to your Brezza.
A search on a web site tells me your used car valuation is around 11.5 lakhs in Hyderabad.
Let’s keep things simple. Pay another 90k and bring home the Sonet htk+ D AT.
You will miss very little from your Brezza.
Give it thought but don’t complicate your decision making with extensive thinking. That’s what works in this case.
But before anything, TD the Sonet extensively. With your family preferably. New Car, new colour, different interiors, who knows they might compel you to buy the Sonet.Good luck.
Thanks for your reply, planning to give a serious thought to your suggestion, will update regarding my decision, in due course of time.

Thanks, Regards.

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2020 at 20:18. Reason: See mod note
Old 10th October 2020, 14:30   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileline View Post
I own a 2019, Vitara Brezza ZDI+ AGS, run 9000km, the experience with the car has been average. The built quality and the not so smooth AGS, can be lived with. The car was purchased in Oct 2019, when very few auto diesel options were available in the compact SUV range in Diesels.
I believe there is no point in selling a car this new with this low running. However, if you’ll only keep the car for 1 or 2 years more, it will be best selling it now and upgrade to the upper segment rather than the same segment. But if you plan to keep it, please do keep it for more than 5 years.
Old 18th November 2020, 15:45   #379

Big Dilemma: To sell or not to sell

Hello Fellow Bhpians
I am recently enrolled at University. As the University is 15 Kms far from our residence, traveling to the Uni in a car makes sense. My parents are planning to pass me our old Suzuki Sx4 ( 2007 112000 kms driven). As the car is Petrol and the mileage is around 9 kmpl , am planning to fit a CNG kit. There are lot of things to be done on the car like a coat of paint, CNG kit, new tires etc. The car has been evaluated to cost around 88 thousand Rupees. After all the small things that need to be sorted out, it will cost me around 52 k Rupees (Total cost Rs 1 Lakh 40 thousand) The real dilemma is that the car can be sold after the all these money spent for Rs.120000. Should I invest the money in our car or sell it and find a car with CNG for around a lakh Rupees ? There are many Hatchbacks available for this price but as the commute is mainly on a highway, I would want to have a safer car. Please also recommend a good car in the used car market for the aforementioned price. This is my first Post on Team Bhp so please excuse the errors that I have made.
Cheers !
PranavJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:04   #380
BHPian

Re: Big Dilemma: To sell or not to sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavJoshi View Post
Should I invest the money in our car or sell it and find a car with CNG for around a lakh Rupees ?
A known evil is usually better than an unknown saint.

You’ve had the SX4 since it was brand new, you know it’s entire service & accident history. Why get rid of it & then spend sleepless nights, wondering whether the used car which you buy, will be reliable or have any lurking gremlins?

I say forget about the resale value, and do what you need to do to keep using the SX4 for your requirements.

Unless the engine is worn out & the car wasn’t well looked after by you all these years, it should still continue running. Of course, it’s a Suzuki, expect the odd rattle & dent here & there.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 18th November 2020 at 17:06.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:24   #381
BHPian

Avoid retrofitting a CNG kit on the car. Mileage won't be very good- approx would be 15 per kg under mixed conditions, maybe slightly more on a highway. That's cheaper than petrol, but it will ruin the car. You might have to strengthen the suspension also. Unless dome from the factory, CNG is always a gamble with regards to reliability.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:48   #382
AZT
BHPian

The SX4 would look slick with a new coat of paint. In your budget, the CNG cars would have high Odo readings and also old, as mentioned above known devil is better than an unknown saint. Would suggest stick to the Sx4.

Also do a simple calculation of cost / km before fitting the CNG. How much would it cost you per km in both CNG and Petrol. Then see how much would you need to drive to recover the initial cost of fitting CNG. If it works in your favour, go ahead.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:59   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
The SX4 would look slick with a new coat of paint.
True. Agree with AZT on this. Check this video of a SX4 going through a repaint. I like how it looks in the end but not sure how much it costs for such a work. If it is under the budget then nothing like it.

As many have suggested repainting a known devil might work out better than tinkering an unknown angel :-) Btw our best wishes for a great University experience as well. Hope you do well in your studies as well. Enjoy.

Regards
Dev

Last edited by irdevanand : 18th November 2020 at 18:03.
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 18:25   #384
BHPian

Consider this: After spending 1.4 lakhs, you will end up with a top spec SX4 in great condition. I am sure that if the work done is of good quality, then it would serve you reliably.
But if you decide to spend 1-1.5 lakhs on a used car, then you would most probably regret it. At that price, you would be able to get a tired old Maruti 800/Alto or something like an Accent or Ikon. Even if you do manage to find a newer car, like a swift for instance, it is likely to be in really bad condition, and eventually, you will also have to spend a minimum of 40-50k to make it reliable.
even after this, it would still be an old car which would have had multiple owners and if it is nearing 15 years of age, then you would have to go for an RC renewal.
In my opinion, it is not worth going through the time consuming process of finding a car, getting its documents in order, getting it fixed and yet not having complete peace of mind because at the end of the day, it was somebody else's car and you do not know how it was treated.
Just get that old SX4 back to shape, and enjoy it for a few more years.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 18th November 2020 at 18:32.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 18:35   #385
BANNED

Retain the SX4!

SX4 is a great car to drive and moreover spending 1.5 L on a used car makes no sense.
You can spend this amount on fixing the SX4 (if the engine/gearbox have problems) and/or repainting it.
Adding a few more new accessories like new seat covers and mats would be great too.
Do get this car properly serviced and then you are good to go.
Tachyonites is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:47   #386
Senior - BHPian

Dont think the CNG makes sense with your kind of running. Enjoy the car in its spirit.

There is more to life than KMPL
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 21:05   #387
Senior - BHPian

I agree with others here. Retain the SX4 but please don't fit a CNG kit for just a 30 km daily run. Even the current daily average for your car comes out to ~23 km.

Quote:
There are lot of things to be done on the car like a coat of paint, CNG kit, new tires etc. The car has been evaluated to cost around 88 thousand Rupees. After all the small things that need to be sorted out, it will cost me around 52 k Rupees
Are you getting a coat of paint, CNG kit and new tyres all for 52k? How?
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 21:16   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd recommend keeping the car, especially if its served you reliably all this while.
Assuming suspension & brakes are in good condition : a good service, new tyres should keep you happy.
Similarly if the body work is good - see if a good interior & exterior detailing will help push back the need for a paintjob.
Wouldn't recommend a CNG given the car has been driven a fair bit + lower power + long term maintenance woes.

Buying any pre-owned cars will come with its own set of maintenance issues unless you luck out on a good car which has been recently serviced with good tyres, and suspension and brakes.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 21:20   #389
BHPian

I would suggest you to Retain SX4. Please do not go for a CNG kit. Changing Tires is part and parcel of any car ownership, and please dont consider that as a reason to change car.

Before complete painting, consider exterior detailing by a professional, and see if you can get away with body work (repair/replace + paint) only for any damaged parts like bumpers or fenders.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 22:27   #390
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

If your SX4 is a ZXi, please stick to it. Although your commute is less but a CNG kit won’t be an issue considering you are going to college . When you install the CNG kit, please get a nice sequential kit and make sure you replace the oil filter, air filter, spark plugs, rear suspension and ignition coils if needed. SX4 works well with CNG and 112k KMs isn’t a lot for you to skip on the CNG installation. Just make sure that you use the car adequately post cng installation to make it price worthy.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks