Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Tata Nexon 267 53.83%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 28 5.65%
Ford EcoSport 163 32.86%
Honda WR-V 18 3.63%
Hyundai i20 Active 2 0.40%
Mahindra TUV300 7 1.41%
Other 11 2.22%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:01   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: [NEED ADVICE] Car under 11L OTR Bangalore

While it may look like a good idea to stretch yourself budget wise and go a segment higher than you thought you should, do keep in mind that purchase cost of a car is only the beginning.

Please fo factor in Fuel, maintenance, insurance, tires, accessories, road trips and some expenses that the car would cause because it's a car - it's endless. If due to whatever reason you are not able to maintain that vehicle in top shape due to these additional expenses, it's going to be a constant worry because everything is not covered by warranty or even insurance.

A vehicle that is affordable to run and maintain will at the end be more useful and all those expenses involved in owning such a vehicle becomes worth it.

Happy shopping
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 00:54   #167
Senior - BHPian

I’d directly tell you to not look at the Skoda Rapid. Even though my family owns a VW Vento, it would not be the best car to start.

Out of this list, my preference would be the Nexon. It is the most-sorted vehicle amongst your list and is probably the best suited to your needs. However, I am not sure what variant you would be able to get (mid or high). For that matter, the Altroz i-Turbo is a much more viable option. It has the right features, the right engine and is priced under the budget too.

Also, would avoid the Nissan/Renault products for a few months to ensure that all niggles are sorted. Usually, any and all freshly-baked products tend to have these in the first few batches.

Kushaq/Taigun might also turn out to be worthy choices, albeit increasing your budget by a bit.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 01:48   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
While it may look like a good idea to stretch yourself budget wise and go a segment higher than you thought you should, do keep in mind that purchase cost of a car is only the beginning.

Please fo factor in Fuel, maintenance, insurance, tires, accessories, road trips and some expenses that the car would cause because it's a car - it's endless. If due to whatever reason you are not able to maintain that vehicle in top shape due to these additional expenses, it's going to be a constant worry because everything is not covered by warranty or even insurance.

A vehicle that is affordable to run and maintain will at the end be more useful and all those expenses involved in owning such a vehicle becomes worth it.

Happy shopping
True. I actually started with budget around 8-9L but didn't find many good cars in that range so stretched budget till 11L. Don't intend to stretch any further.

And the cost of maintenance is one of the reasons why Tata car is more preferred by me than a Skoda
Old 2nd March 2021, 01:59   #169
BHPian

My honest advice to you is to rent a car from Revv or Zoomcar for a month. Here's why:

1. You are still polishing your driving skills. It's always better to learn in a used/leased car and then buying a new one. There will be mistakes and you have to give yourself the room.

2. You are not clear on your own requirements. Manual vs Automatic, Ground clearance vs the joy of driving a sedan. You'll be able to judge the test drive vehicles much better once you have a solid benchmark to compare with. You'll be very clear on 'must have' vs
'good to have' features.

3. Cars are an expensive purchase. You don't want to buy something you'll regret just weeks later. The compromises you make on rear seat space vs handling or fuel efficiency are decisions you'll arrive at after experience. You can't go back once you have purchased your car. Buy something you are sure you want.

Rent a car from your segment and understand what parts of it you love/hate and come up with a criteria set that suits you. All the best with your hunt!
Old 2nd March 2021, 03:00   #170
Senior - BHPian

Since you're new to driving and car ownership, I'd suggest buying a good used car like Ecosport, WR-V (I'd prefer diesel), or Brezza and hone your skills.

Not only will you save $$$, but these cars should be relatively easy to maintain. A reliable installer can add an aftermarket HU to get Android Auto. Follow the Team-BHP guide to buying a used car and you should be good to go.
Old 2nd March 2021, 07:07   #171
BHPian

I am sure you are very excited and looking forward for your first new car. It indeed is a great feeling that will stay with you. Hence I am giving you a heads up, logically thinking since you are a newbie driver and haven't maintained a car before most Bhpians will suggest you a used car.

Do not feel disheartened, the reasons for suggesting a second hand car are follows,
1. You can learn to drive or 'Master' your driving skills and not feel heartache each time you have a small fender bender or missed gear shift.
2. Maintaining a car is not just dropping off the car at a service station. You will get to know the car better when you have the flexibility to take the car to an FNG. This will be valuable learning when you eventually have to deal with the crooks at authorized service stations.
3. At a lesser budget you can go for cars from your target segment or with same budget find one in the next segment with better features.
4. Last but not the least, you will save Moolah via depreciation or initial cash outflow. Lord knows we need to tighten our finances in these uncertain times.
Old 2nd March 2021, 08:44   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
True. I actually started with budget around 8-9L but didn't find many good cars in that range so stretched budget till 11L. Don't intend to stretch any further.
sorry for commenting out of your shortlisted ones. For the mentioned starting budget you should have a look at Ford Freestyle 1.5 diesel. It will tick most of your check boxes and comes with 6 airbags, active safety features, fun to drive and frugal engine
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks