Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 20:41   #1486
Senior - BHPian

re: The "I Booked my Car" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
But will this not become a problem in future since you will be using the car almost permanently in UP. I mean the cops and RTO here in Bangalore are always on the look out of such out state numbers so as to harass them to fork out bribe, accusing them of evading the road tax of karnataka whereas using the car only in Karnataka but not paying the road tax of Karnataka. Even as per rules I believe it is mandatory to pay road tax of the state where you have been transferred or decide to use the car (excluding short stays or for holidays). I was told that the earlier state where you have paid the road tax, the RTO has to refund the amount proportionately after you show them the road tax paid receipt of the new state where you have shifted and paid the road tax (even there you will have to pay proportionately depending on the age of the car).
Well, I dont know if rules are different in Karnataka from the rest of the country, but I can take my Uttaranchal or U.P. registered car anywhere in India as per my fundamental right AFAIK. E.g. more than half the cars commuting in Delhi, are registered in neighboring states like U.P. and Haryana. Never, in my 20 years of driving have I been stopped in Delhi for having a U.P. registered car or vice versa. So it is strange phenomenon that you are mentioning in Karnataka. But how will the policeman prove that whether you are on a short stay/holiday or are a resident of Karnataka, even if what you say is correct as per the local rules there?
Old 20th June 2011, 21:52   #1487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well, I dont know if rules are different in Karnataka from the rest of the country, but I can take my Uttaranchal or U.P. registered car anywhere in India as per my fundamental right AFAIK. E.g. more than half the cars commuting in Delhi, are registered in neighboring states like U.P. and Haryana. Never, in my 20 years of driving have I been stopped in Delhi for having a U.P. registered car or vice versa. So it is strange phenomenon that you are mentioning in Karnataka. But how will the policeman prove that whether you are on a short stay/holiday or are a resident of Karnataka, even if what you say is correct as per the local rules there?
The rule is that where ever you are residing in India you can use your car anywhere in the country after paying the road tax of one state. On the other hand if you change your residence interstate you are required to change your address in the RTO records where you intend to stay within 1 month of your change of residence (only if you change your residence from one state to another and not within the same state). Once you change your address to a different state, you are required to notify the jurisdictional RTO of that area, you are also required to pay the road tax of that state where you will be using the car as a resident of that state (irrespective of the duration of your stay), a new vehicle number of that state will be give and a new RC will be issued wherein all this info will be recorded and the old one will be retained by the RTO authorities.

At the same time you can get the road tax refunded from the earlier state where you used to reside, after showing them that you have paid road tax of another state and that you intend to withdraw. Alternatively if you think you may go back again then you can retain the road tax paid status simultaneously of both the states and later get a refund where you do not foresee staying / using your car there.

The entire process is framed in such a way because all RTOs come under state authorities and the revenue generated will be utilized by the state Govt. for maintenance of roads and other related infrastructure. Therefore, if you have paid road tax of one state and are using the car in another on a regular basis it will defeat the very purpose of this motive. That way one state gains and the other looses.

In Bangalore the data is shared between the cops and the RTOs on a regular basis, traffic cops here are provided with interconnected Blackberry instruments by the Govt. if you are caught for any traffic offence you will be told by the cop of you present and past pending fines, also both the authorities have a live interactive website (you can see how much fine is pending against your vehicle and for what offence and place of offence). The cops have placed many cameras across the city and have dedicated officers to monitor movements of vehicles. You had asked how will they prove this question that you are using the car in this state on a regular basis. If an out state car is stopped for verification it goes in their records and if it is stopped again within 2 months you are let off with a warning (to pay road tax), and if you are spotted after 3 months from the date of first checking you will be required to remit road tax with immediate effect, and if you do manage to convince them or get off bribing them and if the RTO checking squad stops you after 6 months from the date of first checking by the cops (remember they have the records), hefty penalty will be imposed along with the road tax that you will be forced to pay, car will be seized too.

So in Bangalore your only hope is never to be checked by the cops or the RTO. Central Govt. employees and Defense personnel are exempted provided their car is registered under that category (they pay yearly road tax).

Your other question was why you have never been checked in Delhi, that is because there it is very difficult to impose this rule due to overlapping usage between states and NCR (UP-Noida, Harayna-Gurgaon). Even here in border towns of Karnataka it is very normal to see other state cars used on a regular basis and the cops don't bother you. This problem exists mainly in Bangalore. If it works for you there than you are one lucky guy, we are not.
Old 20th June 2011, 22:05   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
The rule is that ....

If it works for you there than you are one lucky guy, we are not.
Well Zulfi, what I mentioned is a workaround without "really" breaking any laws. Of course, my permanent address will always be U.P. And, of course, I will be "arranging" a temporary address of Uttaranchal (from a friend/relative) and that temporary address only will be mentioned in the RC book from RTO. But, when the State is officially ready to give you a workaround, then why not? And in India it is prudent to do workarounds without breaking the laws. If saving 1 Lac rupees does not mean much to someone, then strict stickler by the rules is most welcome....

And it is not a matter of luck that I have not been checked in Delhi. I have been checked many times, but no power in the law can stop me from crossing borders on a daily basis.

I have mentioned the facts for people interested in saving some money. It is not necessary for everyone to follow that advice. One must take his decision based on his own life experiences (and believe me, I have had many)... Cigarette smoking is injurious to health, but people still do so (I don't incidentally); so is downloading mp3's from internet, illegal...
Old 20th June 2011, 22:22   #1489
BHPian

As I said to who ever it works for, one to his own, even I want to save that 1 lakh but just that its not easy here to live with it as much it is there, many of my friends who stay in Delhi have said the same thing as you have. The state is giving a workaround simply because it is unduly gaining from this situation, and the state where you are using the car regularly is at loss. Even here in north western areas of the state many people had registered their cars in Goa, but after a few years all cars where the permanent address was of Karnataka and temp address of Goa were all seized and owners made to pay RT of Karnataka, (I do not know under which law that was done) this started about 15 years back and ended about 9 years back. It was a big news here. In Bangalore from time immortal nobody wants to buy a car which has different state number, no matter how mouth watering the price is. These cars are looked down upon by people here.

But just to clear your belief on rules, I do not know how and who has advised you that it is not breaking the law in this process that you have adopted, technically it is breaking the law, strictly by the law books speaking. But as you said who doesn't. And as I know this process is not new there and its very normal for everybody to do this as you have, then it is as good as not breaking the law, there. As I said we are not as lucky in that context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
And it is not a matter of luck that I have not been checked in Delhi. I have been checked many times, but no power in the law can stop me from crossing borders on a daily basis.
This observation you have made is perfectly right, you are not breaking any law by crossing borders on a daily basis.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 21st June 2011 at 12:50. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 21st June 2011, 09:54   #1490
BHPian

Make : Maruti
Model : Ritz
Variant : Zxi
Fuel : Petrol
Booking Date : 18 Jun 2011
Color : Silky Silver
Expected Delivery Date : 29 Jun 2011
Dealer & City : Sri Durga Automotives, Anantapur, AP
Freebies : Standard accessories upto 7K (mats, mudflaps, car cover, ... etc.)
Others : 27K discount

On-road price after discounts : 5.75L
Old 21st June 2011, 10:32   #1491
Senior - BHPian

Make: Maruti
Model: Alto
Variant: Lxi
Color: Superior white
Booking date: 18 June 2011
Delivery: 25 June 2011
Dealer: Ambal Auto
Freebies: Door mat,mudflaps
Discount: 33k discount

On road price after discount- 2.98L
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:29   #1492
BHPian

Make : Volkswagen
Model : Polo
Variant : Trendline
Booking Date : June 20th, 2011
Color : Flash Red
Expected Delivery Date : sometime next month (waiting for loan approval)
Dealer & City : Phoenix Cars, Calicut
Freebies : None
Price: OTR: 5,04,171
Discount: Corporate Discount 8k
Others : Accessories : around 15K (mud flaps,floor mats, seat cover, car cover etc.)

Last edited by e-katz : 23rd June 2011 at 18:32. Reason: Corrected Date
Old 23rd June 2011, 20:48   #1493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Make : Volkswagen
Model : Polo
Congrats on getting the Polo.red is a cool color for the Polo. Would await your post on this once you take delivery of your car!

Cheers!
Old 29th June 2011, 15:02   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Make : Ford
Model : Fiesta Classic
Variant : 1.6 LXI
Booking Date : 27th April, 2011
Color : Morello
Expected Delivery Date : May 27th, 2011
Dealer & City : Planet Ford, Bibwewadi, Pune
Freebies : Mud flaps, Floor & boot mat
Others : Corporate Discount 9K

I have a doubt about the ex-showroom & on-road prices within the Ford dealer network.
a) Planet Ford:
Ex showroom price: 5,66,786
On-road price: 6,39,258

b) Talera Ford:
Ex showroom price: 5,67,150
On-road price: 6,39,737

I just got off the phone with the Ford Customer Care chaps & they did not have an answer for me. Someone is to get back with clarification. My point is, a product should be priced the same universally, let alone getting two different quotes from the same city, even if it's 364rs.
Congratulations How is your overall experience ? How does the interior look ? With a tight budget of 6L, is t worth going for CLXi ?
Old 1st July 2011, 03:44   #1495
BHPian

Make : BMW
Model : 320D
Variant : CE
Fuel : Diesel
Booking Date : 29th Jun 2011
Color : Alpine white
Expected Delivery Date : 10 July 2011
Dealer & City : Deutsche Motoren, New Delhi
Freebies : Standard accessories (mats, mudflaps, car cover, ... etc.)
Others : 2,50,000 discount
ExShow room Price: 24.90L
On-road price after discounts : 25.62L

Thanks to

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-000-km-3.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...e-edition.html
Old 1st July 2011, 04:02   #1496
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Congrats dude
2.5 lakhs discount on Ex-showroom? is it through some offer or regular discount for all customers?
Old 1st July 2011, 04:12   #1497
BHPian

They are offering 1.5 to 1.75 to everyone.

Due to month-end sales target Plus the salesman was saying may and june are lean months so there is support from bmw india.

The entire discount deal was done on the phone without us even stepping in the showroom once.

Its cheaper than the comfortline passat at 27.10 OTR

Last edited by manyu : 1st July 2011 at 04:13.
Old 1st July 2011, 09:45   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Manyu; I had been to Deutsche recently to checkout the same model. You got a fantastic deal. Will contact you if I need some references.
Old 1st July 2011, 10:04   #1499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyu View Post
Variant : CE
ExShow room Price: 24.90L
On-road price after discounts : 25.62L
That’s a pretty good deal Manyu. Congratulations, and looking forward to a detailed ownership thread from you.
Old 2nd July 2011, 08:35   #1500
BHPian

Thank You Guys,

Will surely do a detailed ownership thread,

Cant wait to get my hands on her.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks