Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2009, 20:20   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukrut View Post
My car is arrived yesterday in showroom. but dealer said to me that RTO is close from 12 Nov to 15 Nov.
so i will get my car after Monday. really RTO is closed in between 12 Nov to 15 Nov?
Sukrut congrats for i20, it is one of the best premium hatchback in its segment.
Yes RTO is closed till sunday, previously they had declared holiday for today due to 'kartiki ekadashi' but later they postponed it for tomorrow (today they were working), on saturday and sunday they are closed, so just relax till monday and happy waiting.
Old 12th November 2009, 21:14   #257

@rajeshvin

Thanks.
No option now. Waiting and Waiting
Old 13th November 2009, 15:01   #258
BHPian

Booked my i20 Asta 1.2 Berry Red

Make : Hyundai
Model : i20
Variant : Asta 1.2
Fuel : Petrol
Booking Date : 12Nov2009
Color : Berry Red
Expected Delivery Date : 3 weeks (Hopefully)
Dealer & City : Asset Hyundai, Mumbai
Freebies : Negotiation still on with dealer stating it as either Mats or Mud-flaps

[Moderators -- Hope its ok to detail more on how I narrowed down to this choice as well as few open queries in this thread itself, since the recommendation is not to use TestDrives & Initial Ownership Reports -- if its better to move this to that category, please do the needful / let me know. Thanks in advance]

Before I go further I would like to thank JayD, AbhiJ, Waldon, Appachan, DrasitKhanna, gotovamsee, flyingspur & many other members of this forum, for their detailed narration of i20 purchase as well as ownership experience & expert opinions so far. They along with few other articles helped me narrow down my choice to i20.

Due to some pre-conceived bias, I rejected Maruti cars from my preferences and narrowed it down to 3 Diesel cars -- Indica Vista Quadrajet, Indigo Manza and Hyudai i20 CRDi.

Somehow I missed test-driving Vista & Manza last weekend (the dealer has now called me for this Saturday) while Hyundai assigned Asset for TestDrive & the salesguy called me saying they have just got a new i20 demo car -- but it was 1.2 Asta Petrol and not CRDi. I decided to go ahead with TD -- first TD and the other ownership reviews I read on this site made me realize i20 is it and not to consider Vista / Manza.
  • So i20 it is but -- Petrol or Diesel ? Optional or base Asta?
  1. Well - this is my first car in India and Comfort & ease of drive, along with sufficient safety features & good support for my back during driving is definitely my priority...
  2. Given my dust allergy, may not be able to enjoy Sunroof in my daily commute (too much pollution) -- so Sunroof offers very little use.
  3. In that case the 40 - 50K premium of Optional will be only for additional airbags and not for Sunroof -- So Base Asta will do.
  4. My daily commute to work & back will be around 50Km -- considering weekend drives & occasional long trips, the annual usage may not exceed 15000Km.
  5. I have never driven a diesel car but the reviews seem to imply that it might require more of gear handling & FE benefit kicks in only with higher usage -- And my dealer is not able to get a CRDi for test drive... Is that 1.5L premium for Diesel really worth it in that case?
Test Drive Experience on i20 1.2 Asta:
  • Steering seem Light and so did the clutch -- needed some practice with the clutch (that's poor me !). And the dead pedal was not that comfortably positioned.
  • Loaded interiors looked rich -- along with the safety features
  • Quite spacious on the front as well as back and the boot is also quite adequate.
  • On the negative, did find the engine appear low-powered between 3.5 & 5 on the RPM on each gears -- is that just the signal that I need to change gears? Isn't it supposed to be its best in 4 to 5.2 range? Need experts to clarify on how I should interpret and drive better (upon delivery).
During few days of confusion between 1.2 Petrol and 1.4 CRDi, tried all ways of getting full details of differences between 1.2 & 1.4 ==> Pity Hyundai website do not provide any info. around this and the dealers are completely in the dark (keep saying only difference is the engine -- when I start pointing out about Brakes, interiors based on my research in net & this forum, they either try to disagree or look at me in wonder !! ).

After a few days wait and another round of test drive (in the rains), finally asked the dealer to go ahead with i20 Asta 1.2 itself.

Would like to hear agreements / disagreements from experts & i20 Owners on the above.

Based on all your experience, decided to check out the insurance myself instead of agreeing to the dealer blindly (who insists that insurance has to be done thru them only) -- that seem to get me a better premium... Thanks again to this forum for that.

Now few open queries where I need assistance:

#1. Insurance -- Currently ICICILombard's quote seems to be the best available for me at Rs.15377 -- They includes 2L Personal Accident coverage for all 5 Unnamed Passengers for an additional Rs.500. (included in above quote)... Is this ok? Is this 2L PA coverage recommended? Any change suggested?

#2. Registration -- My registration will be done in Mumbai... PDI checklist wants the tax & all calculations checked... How should Registration charge calculated to verify? How can I confirm my dealer is not overcharging me?

#3. Loan -- Axis is offering at 9.75% while I'm waiting for SBI to contact me after I applied on their website & thinking of checking with Canara Bank as well.

#4. Sun Control Film:
The dealer recommends Eco-drive films but is ready to use 3M, Garware, etc if needed... His quote seem to be standard for any brand.
Doors & Rears ==> Tinted Economy Type film (Rs.2912) ==> Tinted Premium Films (Rs.4781)
Front ==> Clear Economy Film (Rs.2947) and Clear Premium (Rs.6266).

His recommendations is to use Eco-drive Economy (70% visibility & 38% Heat reduction) or Eco-drive Executive (50% visibility & 48% Heat reduction) for Doors & Rears while Economy for Front.

I read about 3M & VKool being discussed in the i20 threads... Any advice on how I can move forward on this?
-- Rs.2912 for doors & rears with tinted Economy type film and Rs.4781 for Executive type film

#5. Parking Sensor: Dealer recommends RD brand for Reverse Parking sensors and quotes 2933 for Buzzer system, 4900 for LCD Display and 14900 for Sensor with Camera & Bluetooth Display...

Only gotovamsee has mentioned of RD brand in the forum -- When I mentioned Autocop, he was willing to go for it too but said charges are same. One of the discussion on this forum mentioned that Buzzer may not always help & one with proper display is reqd for usage in day / night conditions... That seem to make sense to me. But doesn't the LCD Display also req a camera to capture the rear area?

Is RD ok or should I go for Autocop or some other brand? Are the prices ok?
Is Reverse parking sensors sufficient or does it make sense to go for front sensors as well in one-go?
Or should I get this done from someone else other than the dealer? Any recommendation on the service centre for this?

#6. I read about Teflon coating not required for new cars -- so not going for it.

#7. Dealer quotes 3000 for Anti Rust Coating and 1300 for Engine Lamination Coating... Are these required and if so what I should verify regarding these coatings?

#8. Any seat cover recommendations from AbhiJ and others?

#9. I heard about some plastic mats could be used under the floor mats, covering the entire carpet -- so that the carpet does not get dirty... Is this recommended? If so, which ones & likely cost recommendations plz...

#10. Which is the best Hyundai service centre in Mumbai? Is the one in Chembur good?

Looking forward to lively responses.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th November 2009 at 15:12. Reason: Please do not copy paste from an external editor. Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 15:54   #259
Senior - BHPian

@ShanGGo for underbody antirust coating, but Rs.3000 seems bit high?Teflon coating is not that must.What is this Engine Lamination coating? (total under body is covered by antirust coating and again engine lamination coating - do this necessary?)Thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 22:57   #260
BHPian

The Dream White New SX4 Zxi Booked

A considerable chunk of responsibility for my choosing the SX4 as my next vehicle must rest with the Team-BHP reviews. After almost six months of moving around within its corridors, I applied for, and was immediately approved to join the Team BHP in October, and my introductory post was put in place on November 1 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/introd...-team-bhp.html).

While I was still making up my mind, that was anyway tilted in favour of the SX4, its production was discontinued for some time. Upon relaunch, I took a TD of the new SX4 ZXi MT, and posted the experience: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1566371-post141.html (New SX4 VVT brochure).

Finally, today, I booked the machine. In white. It looks so beautiful and so imposing. Due to my son being away (MIT, Manipal), who would come during semester break only in early December, that is when I would take delivery of the same.

I said no to the teflon coat, that the dealer too endorsed saying that one teflon coat is good only for six months. I am not inclined to take any accessories such as spoilers etc since I love the native shape of the SX4 and do not wish to add anything to it.

The one accessory that I did consider, but told the dealer that I would confirm later, are the parking sensors. They said that the set of 6 (4 rear + 2 front) is no longer marketed, and therefore showed me the set with only 4 sensors (Crosslink) for 3,800. Also, I was informed that the set marketed by Maruti has only sound, but no visual, on the other hand, the Crosslink set had its visual and sound output on its own mirror to be mounted completely on top of the rear view mirror. Since it is designed as a mirror to fit over the rear view mirror, there is no possiblity of it being fitted anywhere else. It was for this reason that I suspended that decision for the time being, though I do feel that parking sensors, especially rear, would be very helpful. I cannot visualize how a sensor display in the middle of the rear view mirror affect the rear view.

Whatever, I am excited. In the introductory thread I gave the previous cars my father and then me had...Hindustan 14, Fiat 1100D, Ambassador, Premier Padmini, another Premier Padmini (second hand), Maruti 800, Hyundai i10 Magna (my wife upgraded to this from the 800 in February this year).

With the SX4 ZXi, I would be upgrading from the Premier.........its a substantial jump, and I am excited, very excited.
Old 14th November 2009, 23:52   #261
BHPian

Model : i20
Variant : Asta
Booking Date : 14-11-09
Color : Berry Red
Expected Delivery Date : Jan Last Week or Early Feb 2010 [As I insisted for a 2010 manufactured car]
Dealer & City : Hyundai Motor Plaza,Mumbai
Freebies : Mud Flaps,Floor Mating and Antirust Coating
Others : Thanks alot to flyingspur and Fighter_82 for helping me out with their inputs and suggestions,while making this decision
Old 15th November 2009, 07:34   #262
BHPian

Welcome to i20 Berry Red Mumbai Club !

Congrats & Welcome to the i20 (Berry Red) Mumbai Club, Safin !

As mentioned on an earlier post (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1580874 (The "I Booked my Car" thread)
), I have also just booked the same and since I needed it asap, hoping to take delivery in 3 or 4 weeks.

Got any deals (especially since you are ready to wait this long)?

What else are you planning to do with it?

Could you read my post and respond back on them -- so that we could exchange notes?

Congrats again !
Old 15th November 2009, 09:51   #263
BHPian

Make : Maruti Suzuki
Model : Ritz
Variant : ZXi
Color : Midnight Black
Expected Delivery Date : 10-12-09
Dealer & City : Pratham Motors, Bangalore
Freebies : Mud Flaps, Floor Mats, Dicky Mat, Ganesha Idol, Perfume, 10% Discount + 2000/- discount on rest of accessories
Others : My decision making thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-ritz-zxi.html

For finance, I will submit the application to State Bank of Travancore. Interest rate is 8% fixed for 1st year, 10% fixed for 2nd-3rd year and 11.25% fixed for 4th-5th year. No processing, pre-payment or pre-closure charges.

Now I need help in further accessories I plan to fix, below is the quote from dealer -
  1. Sunfilm - Nanolux 40 - 3500/- for Windows and rear windscreen (never heard of this brand before)
  2. Seat Covers - Don't remember the brand - 5500/- for Art Leather and 7500/- for Luster (what is Luster?)
  3. Teflon coating - Dupont - 4000/- (is this really required?)
  4. Under chassis treatment - Dupont - 4500/-
As mentioned above, there will be 10% discount + 2000/- flat discount on the total bill.

Please suggest me if I should go with dealer or suggest me some good guys who will do the job for me.

Last edited by Gandhi : 15th November 2009 at 10:06.
Old 15th November 2009, 09:57   #264
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safin View Post
Expected Delivery Date : Jan Last Week or Early Feb 2010 [As I insisted for a 2010 manufactured car]
Its year end so do check the papers before you sign. Although UK customers are saying they have booked a 2010 model car in the month of October. All the cars are still coming from Chennai to UK.

Last edited by wildon : 15th November 2009 at 09:59.
Old 15th November 2009, 10:01   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanG View Post
Freebies : Negotiation still on with dealer stating it as either Mats or Mud-flaps.
Name your dealer to me in a PM. Then I'll tell you how to go about it. They're behaving like they're doing you a favour by offering either. I got both the above AND anti-rust coating free.

Quote:
Before I go further I would like to thank JayD, AbhiJ, Waldon, Appachan, DrasitKhanna, gotovamsee, flyingspur & many other members of this forum, for their detailed narration of i20 purchase as well as ownership experience & expert opinions so far. They along with few other articles helped me narrow down my choice to i20.
You're welcome !!

Quote:
Somehow I missed test-driving Vista & Manza last weekend (the dealer has now called me for this Saturday) while Hyundai assigned Asset for TestDrive & the salesguy called me saying they have just got a new i20 demo car -- but it was 1.2 Asta Petrol and not CRDi. I decided to go ahead with TD -- first TD and the other ownership reviews I read on this site made me realize i20 is it and not to consider Vista / Manza.
Are you in Mumbai? Call HMP. They have a CRDi for TD. Infact they have everything for a TD, even a Verna A/T.

Quote:
So i20 it is but -- Petrol or Diesel ? Optional or base Asta?
Quote:
Given my dust allergy, may not be able to enjoy Sunroof in my daily commute (too much pollution) -- so Sunroof offers very little use.
Asta should be fine if you have absolutely no utility for the sunroof. Petrol or diesel, later.

Quote:
  1. My daily commute to work & back will be around 50Km -- considering weekend drives & occasional long trips, the annual usage may not exceed 15000Km.
  2. I have never driven a diesel car but the reviews seem to imply that it might require more of gear handling & FE benefit kicks in only with higher usage -- And my dealer is not able to get a CRDi for test drive... Is that 1.5L premium for Diesel really worth it in that case?
Now that kind of usage does usually warrant a diesel. BUTTT those calculations of "35+ kms a day" to "recover the difference in 3 years" etc. are, in my opinion, based on the assumption that the diesel model will usually cost 50k more than the petrol version of the car you're looking at. Now this assumption is true in almost all cases, EXCEPT the i20, in which case the difference is a whopping 1.5L. Now that makes me wonder whether you'll spend your entire life trying to recover the 1.5L and add to that the little maintenance that the CRDi might throw up after 4-5 years, adding to the equation.

Don't get me wrong, we still need someone to do hard math here to find out the absolute truth, but atleast on the face of it, I think the 1.2 might just make more sense for you. With an FE of about 12ish, I doubt it will burn that big a hole in your pocket with light driving. Infact Sawyer's getting some great FE figures.

Quote:
  • On the negative, did find the engine appear low-powered between 3.5 & 5 on the RPM on each gears -- is that just the signal that I need to change gears? Isn't it supposed to be its best in 4 to 5.2 range? Need experts to clarify on how I should interpret and drive better (upon delivery).
Depends from engine to engine. Incorrect to generalize like that. After a week with the car, you'll find your own comfort zone with the engine.

Quote:

#1. Insurance -- Currently ICICILombard's quote seems to be the best available for me at Rs.15377 -- They includes 2L Personal Accident coverage for all 5 Unnamed Passengers for an additional Rs.500. (included in above quote)... Is this ok? Is this 2L PA coverage recommended? Any change suggested?
I got a quote from BA for 12k. Approached them directly.

Quote:
#2. Registration -- My registration will be done in Mumbai... PDI checklist wants the tax & all calculations checked... How should Registration charge calculated to verify? How can I confirm my dealer is not overcharging me?
Let me confirm it for you. The dealer IS overcharging you, and everyone will. My RTO receipt says 37k and the dealer charged me 46k. I didn't have the time to register the car myself and get into RTO hassles. Insurance etc. is something I can handle. Depends on how much time and inclination you have.

Quote:
#4. Sun Control Film:
The dealer recommends Eco-drive films but is ready to use 3M, Garware, etc if needed... His quote seem to be standard for any brand.
Doors & Rears ==> Tinted Economy Type film (Rs.2912) ==> Tinted Premium Films (Rs.4781)
Check my thread for the 3M costs. Highly recommended. Will recommend a dealer to you as well.

Quote:
#10. Which is the best Hyundai service centre in Mumbai? Is the one in Chembur good?
All I can say is, go to the company workshop at Sewri.
Old 16th November 2009, 19:03   #266
BHPian

Hi ShanG,

Please find my response as below :

#4. Sun Control Film:

His recommendations is to use Eco-drive Economy (70% visibility & 38% Heat reduction) or Eco-drive Executive (50% visibility & 48% Heat reduction) for Doors & Rears while Economy for Front.
I read about 3M & VKool being discussed in the i20 threads... Any advice on how I can move forward on this?
-- Rs.2912 for doors & rears with tinted Economy type film and Rs.4781 for Executive type film

Anuj : 3m is good, but if you can go for vCool, I personally prefer that. Further, please do not put any film on front glass, during night drive you will have lot of trouble due to less visibility.

#5. Parking Sensor: Dealer recommends RD brand for Reverse Parking sensors and quotes 2933 for Buzzer system, 4900 for LCD Display and 14900 for Sensor with Camera & Bluetooth Display...

Only gotovamsee has mentioned of RD brand in the forum -- When I mentioned Autocop, he was willing to go for it too but said charges are same. One of the discussion on this forum mentioned that Buzzer may not always help & one with proper display is reqd for usage in day / night conditions... That seem to make sense to me. But doesn't the LCD Display also req a camera to capture the rear area?

Is RD ok or should I go for Autocop or some other brand? Are the prices ok?
Is Reverse parking sensors sufficient or does it make sense to go for front sensors as well in one-go?
Or should I get this done from someone else other than the dealer? Any recommendation on the service centre for this?

Anuj : My recommendation will be go for Autocop (although others which I have used 1. some Delhi local made for my Santro and now in i20 I am having black cat are working fine.) But I would like to make one more suggestion here that do not go for mirror one as you will not have night vision functionality in that mirror and for highway night drive it is very useful. Hence, go for monitor type. The LCD type do not need camera as it works with sensor and it do not show the picture of object only indicates about the object with some sign.

#6. I read about Teflon coating not required for new cars -- so not going for it.

Anuj : I will recommend for this for 2 reasons 1. it improves your car's paint life 2. your car do not get minor scratches.

#7. Dealer quotes 3000 for Anti Rust Coating and 1300 for Engine Lamination Coating... Are these required and if so what I should verify regarding these coatings?

Anuj : Must.

Hope this helps.
Old 18th November 2009, 09:38   #267
BHPian

Model : i10
Variant : Sportz
Color : Electric Red
Expected Delivery Date : 19-11-09
Dealer & City : Trident Hyundai, Bangalore
Freebies : 3 Year Warranty, Mud Flaps,Floor Mating, Ganesha idol, Perfume, Sunfilm, Teflon coating
Discount : 16360 (Free Insurance, Free MP3 Player - not needed, Corporate)
Acc Discount : Antirust + Center lock (3500+3800=7300) after Discount (4500)
Old 18th November 2009, 22:16   #268

Help needed on Fiesta booking in Chennai

Hi,

Apologies for the long post - But I very badly need some help especially from Chennai people...

Most people here seem to have a good experience with MPL Ford, Chennai, and quite a few have bought from this dealer. Today I had an unpleasant experience with these people, which I just wanted to share and also have some opinion.

After quite some reading I decide on the Fiesta. I enquire on the Fiesta 1.6 S with these guys. They did bring a 1.6 S Blue to our home. The guys were courteous. I wasn't very much happy with his knowledge on the car but that did not bother me much. So the whole family likes the car and we decide to book.

Quotation
----------
Fiesta 1.6 S (Aquarius Blue)
7.53 OTR (including insurance, dealer 3rd warranty and the essential pack - Floor Mats and 3M paint protection).
I asked for further discounts but they did not budge mentioning the hefty corporate disocunt and I was OK with that too.

My Mom generally does important work on auspicious date and time and this being the first car was no exception. I give two options to the sales guy for delivery as on 14 OCT
1 - I book 14 OCT and he gives me on 25 OCT
2 - I book on 21st OCT and he gives me on 19 NOV
We decide on option 2(did not want to rush up).So I book on 21st Oct specifically mentioning that I need it on Nov 19th (He had mentioned 15 days and I was offering more time accounting for any unusual delays). All is well till now.

I called up the salesguy during the first week on Nov and he says order has been placed and everything should be on time. I called him up again last weekend(Nov 14th) and I get hear, that the vehicle is still not available. I call him up on Monday (15th) and the same reply. Finally on Tuesday 16th late evening, I receive a call from the sales guy saying the vehicle is available and that if I pay tomorrow on WED, I can have it on THU the 19th as planned.

Thanks to TBHP, I insist on seeing the vehicle before registration (He had initially mentioned that I can check the vehicle before registration which he seems to have conveniently forgotten). So TODAY, he tells me the location of his yard as he would not be able to make it. For people in Chennai - MPL Ford's yard is in Pallikaranai. It is a reasonably big grassy area and could see some 20-30 cars. Lots of junk parts on one side. This is not the Ford factory so cant expect it to be clean, but the cars were not very dirty or dusty either. There is only one blue S available and I notice the brake drums fully with rust. The security guy says this vehicle has been lying around since OCT 23 (that is close to 3 weeks) and there was water almost covering the wheel as we had some heavy showers recently in Chennai. I am guessing with all the rotting in water for days, the under-body must have been rusted a little too, possibly into the engine housing area as well. I check some other cars and the brake drums show the iron-steel finish ( at least not rusted). I note the VIN, mileage reading (12 km) and again confirm with the security that it was indeed there for 3 weeks. He shows me the note on the window which says 23rd OCT.

I call up this salesguy and explain the whole situation and he tries to explain that there was some miscommunication from their side, and that this is indeed the car that he ordered for me and they would clean up the whole thing before delivery. He coincidentally mentions the same VIN. He also mentions, cars in the Ford factory also stand in rain and sun so this is very common. I wasnt very satisfied with all his explanation and complain that even after giving him one month he finally managed to screw up. Finally he says - Since I am not very satisfied he can order for another car (another 15 days) (or) get my booking fee back (which BTW I paid 50K as I did not have any intention of cancelling)

So here I am today - thinking what to do -

1. Should I take this rusty car (honestly i dont want to spend Lakhs on something which I personally am not happy about). But what is the worse that could happen If this car has been in knee-deep water for few days. I know cars in the Ford factory would have been in rain, but would they have rusted brakes?

2. I booked on 21 OCT and the cheque was cleared on 22 OCT. Is is possible for the car to be here the next day. (Ford's factory is close to Chennai). The salesguy says he placed the order on 21.
- would they place order before the cheque is realised ( I think not)
- why would he say 15 days for delivery, when he can get the car in 2 days.

3. I was wondering if the car was here on 23 OCT then it fits into my option 1 of OCT 25. But he never mentioned. Arent these sales guys up to date on what vehicles they have?

4. Should I place order for another car with this same dealer with whom I have lost the transparency and trust factor.

5. There seem to be not very good reviews on Chennai Ford (another dealer in Chennai) so I have no where else to go.

6. Are these guys trying to hide something and sell me a lemon

7. Am I being too picky ( I sincerely hope.. Not)

I somehow feel this is a car which some one else ordered but cancelled for whatever reason, and they are pushing it to me. Family also is not happy with this whole experience.

SO..any feedback is very much appreciated...
Old 18th November 2009, 23:41   #269
BHPian

@PrabhuV: Why pay 8+ lakhs and get Headache and doubts in mind FOC.

I suggest you allow the dealer to order a new car and wait for 2-3 weeks more. Its your first car..let it be special!
Old 19th November 2009, 10:13   #270
Senior - BHPian

IMO, it seems that the car lying there was booked by some one else who either cancelled the booking or some other reason did not take delivery and now the dealer is trying to push you to take the car knowing that you had a particular date for delivery. If you are fully disatisfied with the car and its status, suggest go for new booking (you have the VIN of this car hence cannot present this car again to you after doing some cleaning work or..)
You can find anothe good/auspicious date for taking delivery but do not accept a junk after paying close to Rs.8L
Thanks

Most Viewed