Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2011, 11:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Finalized to buy my first car, need a little help here

I agree, filming seems to be expensive, do get direct quotes from 3M
Also for alloys, why dont you check online for designs specific for the WagonR. I am sure there should be options available. You may want to begin by searching for Neo Alloy Wheels > Wheel Catalog/ Wheel Match

By the way, my in laws bought a Wagon R earlier this year from Chowgule. Do let me know if you need any info/ assistance (about the car or dealer or anything else).

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th May 2011 at 11:42.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:28   #92
dot
Senior - BHPian

Hey loved your latest experiences. Quite a journey. So near yet so far eh?

Some thoughts on the prices in bold below.

Front Components JBL 6" - 6500 (I am not very sure if he is aware of components coz they are not so cheap right!)
Rear 3 Way coaxial JBL 6" - 4000

The prices are available of JBL website. You should get some discount on that.

JBL Woofer (1200 watts) 12" with Tube Housing - 6800

Tubular woofers are not that effective, since you are planning to go the whole hog better to go for regular sub-woofers.

Reverse Parking Sensor with park assist : Rs 3500

A toy that becomes useless after a week or so.

Engine Dreasing + lacquer Coat : Rs 850

Why do you need this on a new car?

Sun Control Film: VCOOL
Front: 13,600 for 94% reflective
Other windows + Rear : Rs 10,600 for 72% reflective

As @sajo (Edit: and others) said, this quote is too expensive. Even 3M will be cheaper.

Last edited by dot : 5th May 2011 at 11:29.
Old 5th May 2011, 11:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

And so the choice is finalized. Fantastic & Congratulations on picking a fine choice.
We met briefly at the Lavasa Pune meet, i was there for about 10 mins. But i remember you clearly. and since this was your first car. I calculated and had a feeling that the waggie was perfect for you, and am glad that you felt so to.
Now coming to the Body kit, the waggie has a decent GC of 165mm and a wheelbase of 2400 mm so matching these two figures i don't feel you would have any issues with the body kit in Pune's driving conditions. Though this may be an issue if you take it out on the highway, as some of the breakers are designed so poorly. @dot and I have never scraped the underside of the civic on Pune's roads. Those are a lot of accesories you have planned out there. Personally though i would suggest that you hold on the Body Kit, this can always be done at a later stage, and as far as alloys go, you could pick from a nice tyre or car accesory shop. You will get a wide range here, and a chance to shod your waggie with something different. What i suggest is that you visit tyre or accessory shops today itself and start taking a look and speaking to them about an exchange with your waggie steel rims. I am sure you will be able to work out a good deal and get something unique and different this way.
What Maruti is saying is probably true cause most manufacturers are doing the underbody treatment at the factory itself nowadays.
So that leaves you with just the engine polish and sunfilms.
3M should give you a good quote on the same, and ofcourse good quality too.
The engine cleaning treatment is called motor care, and at my last civic service the 3M guys did the treatment. It's definately worth it, and the engine compartment literally shines. it cost around Rs.400 only.
So now that you have the quote in your hand, it's time to start the bargaining.
First leave the folks at Maruti on their own. Let them call you back.
Now we have plenty of Maruti dealers in Pune, so tell them you have a better quote from one of them.
Now what you do is make your wish list of price reduction free accessories etc.
Now you half this and present this to them, this is your supposed better deal from the other maruti dealer.
now you speak to the SA, then senior SA and then finally the Sales manager of the dealership.
getting one or two items approved as you climb the chain.
Finally when you are at the Sales manager level, do remember to wave that cheque book, and point out that you have brought it to pay the booking amount. So let's not make you walk out of the showroom and go elsewhere or have to come again. Tell him to give the best possible deal and take the cheque right here and NOW!
Even if you need a few days to get your finances in order, no problem this will just be a small booking amount, and do remember to get everything in writing from them. from the price quoted, to the accessories etc agreed upon. So there willl be no confusion later on.
Also did you think about getting insurance from outside. you could save some here as well. so get some quotes. also there are new plans such as zero depreciation etc. check out the details of them too, some of the new plans include plastic parts etc.
Wishing you the best with this deal, do post if you need some help with anything.
We are happy to help.
Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 13:54   #94
Senior - BHPian

any updates?
are you by any chance picking up a brown bronze waggie?
or what colour are you looking at picking up?
Old 8th May 2011, 05:35   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Good report Shridhar. I read it full...hushhh!

BTW, did you ever checkout the Vista or no? You had it in your initial options, so I was wondering whether you TDed it or not. Being a Vista owner for close to 2 years, space will never be an issue. Its HUGE on the inside. Its just designed for ultimate passenger space. Unless you are sold on Wagon R completely, do check it out once before finalizing. There are 3 happy Vista owners who you can query anytime for your doubts, me, Reinhard and Amitwlele.

I think the price the of accessories is reasonable and you can go ahead with most of them. As you've said, the filming charges surely look atrocious to me too. I got 3M films for my Vista for the sides and rear for just 6K. I dont know much about VCOOL brand and its pricing, but I dont think you need to spend so much on films.
Thanks Ajay, Of course i went and saw Vista, being a TATA car owner myself it was the first preference and yes nothing can match it in interior space but here are the things that diverted me away from it
1. Front visibility - I a rookie in car driving (6 months ago i did not even think i need a car for next five years) and i was unable to get the exact judgment of where was the front heading on driving it and especially had problems while trying to park it, again this could be a problem with me because i have started to learn driving on my TATA Estate which also has a large bonnet but clear visibility of the nose gives me better judgment
2. Fuel Efficiency: The salesrep himself said car gives around 13 in city so i got a little worried there
3. Besides now they dont offer the Aura trim in 65ps version , we have aura ABS in 90ps variant and it is ridiculously priced at 5.3 Lacs ex showroom

Ajay, can you please share the shop where they you got 3M sunfilms fitted

And there is only one car i am sold out completely for...Honda Civic but it is wayyyyy... out of my budget
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I agree, filming seems to be expensive, do get direct quotes from 3M
Also for alloys, why dont you check online for designs specific for the WagonR. I am sure there should be options available. You may want to begin by searching for Neo Alloy Wheels > Wheel Catalog/ Wheel Match

By the way, my in laws bought a Wagon R earlier this year from Chowgule. Do let me know if you need any info/ assistance (about the car or dealer or anything else).
Thanks Selfdrive, i did check out the alloy options on-line at "Sai Mag Wheels" which has lot of options but to be honest i am worried if i order a set and it does not fit, so i am going to hunt the local options first and actually the alloys i saw at MGA were pretty cool, they had a black trim with nice steel glades, which will match the color and the theme of my car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Hey loved your latest experiences. Quite a journey. So near yet so far eh?

Some thoughts on the prices in bold below.

Front Components JBL 6" - 6500 (I am not very sure if he is aware of components coz they are not so cheap right!)
Rear 3 Way coaxial JBL 6" - 4000

The prices are available of JBL website. You should get some discount on that.

JBL Woofer (1200 watts) 12" with Tube Housing - 6800

Tubular woofers are not that effective, since you are planning to go the whole hog better to go for regular sub-woofers.

Reverse Parking Sensor with park assist : Rs 3500

A toy that becomes useless after a week or so.

Engine Dreasing + lacquer Coat : Rs 850

Why do you need this on a new car?

Sun Control Film: VCOOL
Front: 13,600 for 94% reflective
Other windows + Rear : Rs 10,600 for 72% reflective

As @sajo (Edit: and others) said, this quote is too expensive. Even 3M will be cheaper.
Hey DOT, yes so near and so far but trust me you will be the one who would get the home advantage and witness my car first hand when i bring it to office
Secondly i believe the Plan to ICE the car will be put off for now considering i want to do it the right way with damping / proper cabling etc...
Thirdly i need a reverse parking sensor sir, you know how the parking space in basement of Panchshil TPO is...can you suggest any third party brand which may last better
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
And so the choice is finalized. Fantastic & Congratulations on picking a fine choice.
Now coming to the Body kit, the waggie has a decent GC of 165mm and a wheelbase of 2400 mm so matching these two figures i don't feel you would have any issues with the body kit in Pune's driving conditions. Though this may be an issue if you take it out on the highway, as some of the breakers are designed so poorly. @dot and I have never scraped the underside of the civic on Pune's roads. Personally though i would suggest that you hold on the Body Kit, this can always be done at a later stage,
get everything in writing from them. from the price quoted, to the accessories etc agreed upon. So there willl be no confusion later on.
Also did you think about getting insurance from outside. you could save some here as well. so get some quotes. also there are new plans such as zero depreciation etc. check out the details of them too, some of the new plans include plastic parts etc.
Wishing you the best with this deal, do post if you need some help with anything.
We are happy to help.
Drive Safe!
Thanks mdsaab as usual, actually i plan to fit the body kit while purchasing so that it looks as part of the package and ages with the car, coz if i fit it later, the color of the car may have faded a little and the kit may look a little out of fit and guess what i dont wanna end up my car pics in "whacky mod job" thread
Insurance is a good point, can you suggest me any options where they cover plastics as most of the car nowadays has plastic everywhere (i personally hate these plastics but cant help it)
I am still a little worried about ground clearance coz Civic has min clearance of 170 mm, but waggy has 165 and with body kit on it, it will go down a lil more, but going for 14" alloys instead of standard 13" should compensate right (i know vxi has 14" rims)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
any updates?
are you by any chance picking up a brown bronze waggie?
or what colour are you looking at picking up?
The color of the car was left to the lady in the house, my mother, she liked bakers chocolate and glistening gray, we decided glistening gray finally

I will go hunting to check alloy + accesory options to get some competitive quotes
Old 8th May 2011, 08:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

I think Allianz offers a policy/ option that covers damage to plastics. You can also check with other insurers if this option is provided.
Baker's chocolate would have been fabulous also, but darker colours attract a lot of dust. My jopasu duster is already complaining
Old 8th May 2011, 12:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

actually there was a little discussion on @dot's thread about the civic bottoming issue. and it has come to light that it is not so much the GC as it is the wheelbase of the civic. So i don't think you will face any issues, atleast within the city. Going in for the 14inch rims is a great move.
As mentioned by @selfdrive Bajaj Allianz has a policy which covers the plastic parts. speak to a few insurers and check out their websites too for details on the various plans on offer. Though these higher coverage plans cost a little more, if it fits into your budget it's better to spend a little extra and get complete peace of mind. Also when compared to dealer insurance quotes, these are definately going to be cheaper.
So the color has been finalized too
Please take a printout of the famed PDI checklist and start going through it. This way you will be prepared when your beauty is ready for her first meet with you at the stock yard.
Your body kit plan, is spot on. I did not think about matching the paint when the car is a little older. You are right this way the paint will match better.
Try and visit as many car accessory shops as possible and get quotes from all of them. This will make it easier when you need to bargain with them too.
Good Luck

Last edited by mdsaab : 8th May 2011 at 13:00.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:09   #98
dot
Senior - BHPian

@shridhar, what I meant by calling reverse parking sensors useless was not because it goes bad, but after a while you will get such a good idea of the dimensions of the car that you will not need the parking sensor and start ignoring its beeps and squawks. Typically new drivers go for this gig. But then I realized you already drive an Estate. So you know what you are talking about. And yes, Panchshil TP basement parking will need them!!

I dont know any specific brands of aftermarket reverse sensors, since I never "researched on this subject"

Recently I saw a nice set on a Spark where the display had the Civic blue color. The color will also match with the Waggie's instrument console lighting. I know it was fitted at the GM showroom (Pashankar). Yeah, this does not help too much, maybe others can step in here.

Last edited by dot : 8th May 2011 at 17:13.
Old 12th May 2011, 21:21   #99
BHPian

Booked my first car

The D-Day was here,and as it does happen to every human being...I Still had one final dilemma whether to go for The Wagon R or the i10 (Yes we boys are supposed to make quick calls but in a battle between heart and brain it is a tough call), the main competition was the comfy interior space in Wagon R (My heart felt this is what we need, ample space) Vs a refined VVT 4 cylinder engine (My Brain argued that this was the best hatchback engine)
So i sat down with my parents to have one last chat before stepping out to book the car, weighing the odds they worked in favor of Wagon R and so setting aside the last minute confusions we went to Wonder Cars - Maruti Suzuki Showroom in MIDC (As we must do at times, i chose to listen to my heart)
I guess there is a very strange feeling; which cant be described in words; you get when you go to buy something and this feeling does not change from the day you got your first toy...I was feeling the same
Dad was accompanying me just like he used to when i had to go and buy some toy for myself in childhood and while leaving the house Mom stood by the door and said "Buy the car you like the most, don't let anyone influence your decision, it is your car and you are going to drive it so make the right choice after all you don't buy these everyday" I nodded my head and left
We reached Wonder cars showroom and guess What? The Sales Rep who had discussed with me the previous time (His name was Sagar) had gone out so another sales rep came stating he knew about the deal and he would be catering to our booking request, well thanks to TBHP i had taken a competitive quote from Kothari Maruti and they were giving at-least accessories worth Rs 1000 free (I know - i know it is no big deal but i guess these Maruti's sell so well they are very reluctant to give any freebies as they know the car is going to sell anyways)
So i told these wonder cars folks that if they cant offer me these accessories at-least worth 1000K then i am going to book my car from Kothari Maruti Showroom, the sales rep kept on doing some B.S about how great their outlet as well as servicing was and blah blah (Frankly i wasn't evening listening); I finally asked him one simple question "Are you going to give me some freebies or shall i walk out because you are wasting my time?"
He simply said "Sorry sir, Main aapko koi accessories nahi de sakta, company policy"
I took my cheque book and walked out of the showroom (At this point some of you readers might think why did i walk out just for Rs 1000, actually it was not about the money but i just wanted to prove a point to them, this is no longer a seller oriented market but a customer oriented market, it is my money after all)
We were at the gate and we saw Sagar, the Salesperson who i had spoken to last time, i was amazed to hear that he had already received the news that the deal was off, i could read his face and he was definitely thinking the loss of one number in the sales target, he came to me and said "Sorry sir, deal nahi ho paya, i wish aapko accha deal mile", i sensed a circasm in it and quickly responded "Right, I am leaving for Hyundai Showroom, Cheque Book leke aaya hoon toh ek cheque to jaroor katega booking ke liye, Tum deal miss kar gaye"
He heard this and went running to his manager as small children go running to their "Mumma" when somebody abuses them, The Manager came to us and requested if we could talk to her for five minutes, Now it was the Lady manager's turn to do some B.S about Wonder cars (Yeah right as if they were the 8th wonder of the world) and again i asked "So what do you want to tell me" and she quickly said "Whatever accessories you purchase, Flat 1000 bucks off", i looked at the 2 sales reps and guess what? they were giving their manager the looks a Soldier would give on being betrayed by their own country.Earlier they were continuously blabbering about company policy and suddenly it was amended!

Now Sagar said "Sir Ab to khush" and we went on to Book the car, but before that i inquired if i can go for wider tyres and a senior person was called upon who said Company does not encourage upsizing as the suspension etc are designed mainly keeping 13" wheels in design, So i said then how come Vxi trim comes with 14" wheels and he was "Wondering" too (Great, and he calls himself a senior technical person and slowly i started understanding the reason behind naming the Showroom "Wonder" Cars..Pun Intended) then i also inquired about the ground clearance that would be affected if i go for the body kit and he said it would be reduced by 1 inch only, which was very hard to believe
So i told them i am putting the body kit on hold for now and anyways i had time to decide as it will take at-least a month for the car to arrive even after i book it
I took out my cheque book and wrote one for 10K, the tentative delivery date is given as Jun 15, 2011
We walked out after a "battle of words" which lasted for 1 Hour and Dad said to me in a man - o man tone "So Young Chap, Congrats you will now soon own a car" to which i could reply only this " Yeah i guess so, provided the Bank believes i can repay the Car loan and approves my petition"
shridhar.s.i is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 21:36   #100
BHPian

Re: Booked my first car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
"So what do you want to tell me" and she quickly said "Whatever accessories you purchase, Flat 1000 bucks off", i looked at the 2 sales reps and guess what? they were giving their manager the looks a Soldier would give on being betrayed by their own country
Hehe! Nice move. Good to hear about that little psychological warfare you put up. Usually the sales rep will give anything as long as the customer shows promise and books the car.
You just proved to them that not all customers are that easy!

Congratulations! Waiting for the delivery day and be sure to post pictures!
Skye1592 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2011, 22:53   #101
BHPian

Quote:
The main competition was the comfy interior space in Wagon R (My heart felt this is what we need, ample space) Vs a refined VVT 4 cylinder engine (My Brain argued that this was the best hatchback engine)
It was good that you bargained hard and threatened to pull out of the deal if it did not suit you, no matter how fancy the explanations were offered by the sales team. All the best in your purchase of the Wagon R.

By the way, when I compared the Wagon R VXI with the I10 1.2 VTVT Magna in December 2010 (both were priced almost the same after various discounts), I was rather disappointed with the Wagon R. The boot space had decreased significantly from the previous model and the fit and fitment was nothing to rave about. In fact, the integrated music system was quite dreadful.

On the other hand, I found the I10 far more comfortable (WagonR width = 1495 mm vs I10 width = 1595 mm) for 3 persons in the rear. In addition, the I10 had a more useful boot space compared to the new Wagon-R and the the fit and fitment was top notch compared to the Wagon R. The I10 also had better BHP compared to the Wagon R and had a more premium hatch feel compared to the Wagon R.

In my opinion, the I10 seemed a superior product to the Wagon R in most aspects. In case you want to read about my ownership experience, I have a detailed post of it at:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2181271

Regards,
Melvyn
Old 13th May 2011, 09:43   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
By the way, when I compared the Wagon R VXI with the I10 1.2 VTVT Magna in December 2010 (both were priced almost the same after various discounts), I was rather disappointed with the Wagon R. The boot space had decreased significantly from the previous model and the fit and fitment was nothing to rave about. In fact, the integrated music system was quite dreadful.

On the other hand, I found the I10 far more comfortable (WagonR width = 1495 mm vs I10 width = 1595 mm) for 3 persons in the rear. In addition, the I10 had a more useful boot space compared to the new Wagon-R and the the fit and fitment was top notch compared to the Wagon R. The I10 also had better BHP compared to the Wagon R and had a more premium hatch feel compared to the Wagon R.

In my opinion, the I10 seemed a superior product to the Wagon R in most aspects.
Yes Misquitas, i remember reading you review completely and yes i10 is not in the league of Wagon R, if it should be compared it needs to be compared to Ritz as now both are quite close in pricing (Ritz is 20 K cheaper and has 5 PS more power with better interior space) but i10 has the best interiors / fit and finish of the lot
The music system on both i10 and Wagon R felt the same to me...terrible (and if you are an audiophile upgrade is imperative)
My aspects of comparison were a little different from average indian consumer
Here are the the points
1.Legroom: The shortest man in my family stands tall at 5'7", so i needed to ensure there is enough rear legroom when i am in driving seat with seat pulled a little backwards and i found this on new Wagon R, never felt comfortable in i10 on trying to recreate this scenario
2. Scope for improvement: Wagon R can go with a nice Body Kit + 14" alloys + wider tyres due to improved clearance between fenders and tyres (I noticed this was not the case in older waggy platform"
3. Bootspace: This did not concern me much as it anyways is going to endup carrying the CNG Kit and a Woofer
4. The Money: I know i am compromising 11 Ps and 24Nm torque but the price difference is 60K, just imagine what all things i could do for the car with this much surplus
5. After Sales Service: When Maruti and Hyundai are compared, we both know who the winner in this segment is and with rising reports of Hyundai's arrogance it was becoming a tough call

P.S: All above points are IMHO and i have no intent to defame the i10 as it is a car many of my family members own and the reliability is unquestionable
Old 13th May 2011, 10:28   #103
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congrats Sridhar on booking the blue eyed boy! I believe it is a very prudent decision and I hope your choice gives you the same niggle free ownership that my previous Maruti horses have given.
IMHO, it is better to start chasing these guys at least once when your delivery date is a fortnight away.

Also, I remember seeing some rocking WagonR pics put up by our fellow bhpian anvancy on his ownership thread. I will try to look for that thread
EDIT here it is: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ew-wagonr.html

one more suggestion; most of us forget our camera in teh hurry to get to the showroom on D-day, so please pack and keep it ready in advance!

Last edited by selfdrive : 13th May 2011 at 10:31.
Old 13th May 2011, 23:04   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Misquitas, i remember reading you review completely and yes i10 is not in the league of Wagon R, if it should be compared it needs to be compared to Ritz as now both are quite close in pricing (Ritz is 20 K cheaper and has 5 PS more power with better interior space) but i10 has the best interiors / fit and finish of the lot
My aspects of comparison were a little different from average indian consumer.

I have no intent to defame the i10 as it is a car many of my family members own and the reliability is unquestionable
You have every right to shortlist a car (Wagon-R) that meets all your priorities. It is indeed good that your compared different cars on the basis of your requirements. Many don't do this exercise and end up sulking with their new car, mainly because they overlooked another car which met their needs in a better way.
Old 15th May 2011, 05:33   #105
BHPian

@Misquitas, Thanks for putting the exact words i wanted to convey,
This is what i was trying to say here, a car maybe very good and it might come highly recommended by many friends but unless you personally feel it is apt for you, dont just follow the crowd
Now i understand why everyone stresses on a test ride
Compared to buying a motorcycle, buying a car is a little different story which i experienced first hand, in bikes we never had to make so many considerations but when it came to car, we needed to check how many blindspots are present,
how much visibility is on offer,
seating position and comfort for both driver and others
Product build quality
Service / Breakdown support
And list continues

Last edited by aah78 : 15th May 2011 at 06:25. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks