Solution to leaking front shock absorbers on my car

The car has not given me any trouble so far and the shocks have never been replaced or repaired.

BHPian sumannandy recently shared this with other enthusiasts.

While inspecting the car during its 1,10,000 km service, the service advisor informed me that the front shocks were leaking. The car has not given me any trouble so far and the shocks have never been replaced or repaired. The service advisor informed me that I can continue driving for now and get them replaced during my 1,20,000 km service.

I use the car mostly for outstation drives, carrying good speeds on highways. My question is, is it safe to drive with "leaking" shocks? How urgent is it? Should I wait till the next service or get it replaced immediately. I have couple of long drives planned starting next week.

I have attached the photos that I clicked recently. Seems to me that the leakage at the rear shock absorbers are completely dry.

Here's what BHPian Guna had to say on the matter:

Since it is the front shock on a FWD driven car and the front wheels also are responsible for steering the vehicle direction, I suggest to replace it.

I had continued to drive my Forester with a leaking rear shock for good 10,000+ km until it became very bumpy (reason was not replacing on time was the exorbitant cost). But I wouldn't take that risk with a front shock absorber.

Here's what BHPian Jeroen had to say on the matter:

I think it is important to understand the function of shock absorbers. Their primary function is to ensure maximum contact between tyre and the road at all times. Secondary they help provide ride comfort.

But given their primary function, you need to think about them in terms of safety, just like brakes and tyres. If they don’t work adequately, safety is being compremised!!

So it is down to how much leakage you have. A little sweating, tends to be acceptable, but anything beyond that is a real problem. In countries with annual car inspection, such as the MOT in the UK for instance, a shock absorber with more than just a bit of weeping would be an immediate fail. You can’t drive the vehicle until the shock is replaced.

Yes, a worn shock will cause additional wear on other components as well. But you need to worry primarily about safety, not maintenance cost!!

So, don’t skimp on cost when it comes to shocks. When in doubt get a competent mechanic to look at them. Anything more than a bit of weeping should mean replacing immediately.

Shocks tend to get replaced in pairs (left/right). It is not always necessary / recommended, but it makes sense. Because both shocks will have seen roughly the same amount of wear. Also, you like the right / left shock absorbers working / damping as identical as possible.

Shocks are not that expensive and on most cars easy to replace. They last a long time, so in terms of cost per km are cheaper than your tyres.

Think and act in accordance with safety in your mind, not a bit of cost.

Check out BHPian comments for more insights and information.

Love Cars Live Cars