Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 00:13   #11776
AWD
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What you mean by still in this case ?

Yes it has full HD recording , I would advice to move to Canon 600D due to following additional features above 550D.

1. Articulated LCD screen which helps a lot in low angle and overhead shots.
Query on 550D was not in relation to Auto-Focus Btw this says it has AF motor in body: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Nikon-D5100

Somehow I feel 600 hasn't lived upto the standards 550 established. Maybe because it its not a significant jump from 550.

I hardly use screen on SLR, prefer view-finder. Still for the uses you quoted, its a bonus..

Evaluating between D3200, 5100, 550D & 5200 too.

Btw what are the advantages of 5100 over 3100, leaving MP count & swivel screen aside ?

Last edited by AWD : 6th May 2013 at 00:17.
Old 6th May 2013, 06:01   #11777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

Query on 550D was not in relation to Auto-Focus Btw this says it has AF motor in body: http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-600d-vs-Nikon-D5100

I hardly use screen on SLR, prefer view-finder. Still for the uses you quoted, its a bonus..

Evaluating between D3200, 5100, 550D & 5200 too...
Your posts here have got me thinking about getting a dslr for the past few days, AWD. But my research has thrown up another contender Canon 650D.

Feature wise, in the Nikons, I think the 5100 is a better buy than 5200 and 650d is a better buy over 600d in Canon. But the toss up between d5100 and 650d is where I stand undecided at this moment. I know that they are in different price categories. And to add to the confusion, at 650d prices d7000 starts lurking around the corner!

I too remember reading specs. of Canon bodies having the AF motor.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 6th May 2013 at 06:08.
Old 6th May 2013, 08:04   #11778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As they maintain the consistency in system all Canon EF mount lenses work on all Canon EOS bodies.
EF lenses can be mounted on EF-S bodies but EF-S (S stands for Small image circle) lenses cannot be mounted on EF bodies.
Old 6th May 2013, 08:25   #11779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Btw what are the advantages of 5100 over 3100, leaving MP count & swivel screen aside ?
5100 has the better sensor (same sensor is there in D7000). It will have better low light performance. In fact D5100 has the best sensor in any DSLR in that price range.
Old 6th May 2013, 09:07   #11780
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
contender Canon 650D.

Feature wise, in the Nikons, I think the 5100 is a better buy than 5200 and 650d is a better buy over 600d in Canon.d7000 starts lurking around the corner!
I too remember reading specs. of Canon bodies having the AF motor.
650 is the newer 550 or 600 I guess but as you said at a higher price point & yes at that price point one can't ignore D7000. I had actually pinned my sight at 7000 but then later thought of saving some moolah!

Im still not sure whether certain Canon SLR bodies come with A-F motor of not!

As of now, Im deciding between D5100, D5200, 550D. Being rather old, don't know what all's lacking in 550D w.r.t. other latest offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
EF lenses can be mounted on EF-S bodies but EF-S (S stands for Small image circle) lenses cannot be mounted on EF bodies.
From what little I know, Canon has around 4 types of lenses & these cannot be inter-used. While all the Nikon lenses are versatile & can be used on most Nikon bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
5100 has the better sensor (same sensor is there in D7000). It will have better low light performance. In fact D5100 has the best sensor in any DSLR in that price range.
Ok. What about the sensor in D5200 & how does D5100 compare to 550D ?
Old 6th May 2013, 09:24   #11781
Senior - BHPian

Our 4 year old 40D has gone kaput. Bro says he tried all the troubleshooting available on the web and things now point to shutter failure.

Anyone had experience dealing with Canon India and the approximate cost of the heart transplant?

Any leads would help greatly, Thanks!
Old 6th May 2013, 10:05   #11782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From what little I know, Canon has around 4 types of lenses & these cannot be inter-used.
What are these 4 types? Can you name them?
Old 6th May 2013, 10:14   #11783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
eBay.in just delivered my Yongnuo Speedlite YN465 TTL Flash for Canon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Overall look and feel is nice, not so flimsy as I thought seeing the price. But yes, the battery compartment needs some close attention. Do it twice and you are used to it anyways.

My 1000d detected YN465 easily and it was just a breeze to start using it. There are many expert settings which I did not attempt yet

Here's some indoor test shots. Cam setting is as below and flash bounced at 75 degrees on roof. Lens used is 50 1.8 prime.
Did some indoor shots during the weekend for a family function. And used 18-55 kit this time and succes rate is 99% I would say. Most of clicks turned out good, especially the ones I used Manual exposure settings. TTL mode gives slightly underexposed clicks on default settings, I need to learn the expert settings on the Cam for external flash's exposure.

Overall happy with the product, its swivel & tilt head is very useful for bouncing linght on roof and walls.
Old 6th May 2013, 10:42   #11784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
650 is the newer 550 or 600 I guess but as you said at a higher price point & yes at that price point one can't ignore D7000. I had actually pinned my sight at 7000 but then later thought of saving some moolah!
No they are not newer 550D atleast the number of AF points and AF module is different. Also master mode flash is not a cheap feature.

Last but not the least there is a big price gap between 600D and D7000.

Just that 700D is newer 650D with just difference of bundled kit lens and no change in body.

Quote:

Im still not sure whether certain Canon SLR bodies come with A-F motor of not!
Be 100% sure that absolutely NO canon body comes with AF motor and no canon body needs it either

Quote:

From what little I know, Canon has around 4 types of lenses & these cannot be inter-used. While all the Nikon lenses are versatile & can be used on most Nikon bodies.
Are you sure about this ?

Canon FD /FL and N-FL and rangefinder lenses can not be used with EOS digital bodies but then they stopped manufacuring them in early 1980s.
What Canon claims is all EOS lenses will work with EOS bodies ( As Rudra Sen pointed EF-S are for smaller image circle for crop sensor bodies so they will vigneete badly on full frame , similar to case of FX vs DX in Nikon)

Also not all old Nikon lenses will focus with all Nikon bodies it is actually a half truth , Even those which mount will not meter on certain bodies.

Here is the compatibility chart for D7100 from Nikon website.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...tibility02.htm

But let me give you a good news if you are found of old Nikon manual lenses buy a Canon EOS body and all of them meter and focus to infinity with a cheap adapter.

Apart from Nikon F ( AI / AI-S/Non-AI) you can use M42/ Pentex K / M39 and host of other old lenses on EOS.

But since you are still focussing on weather AF motor is there or not in Canon body explanation of usage of manual lenes and metering etc looks like a moot point.
Old 6th May 2013, 11:49   #11785
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
What are these 4 types? Can you name them?
Since 1959, Canon has had 4 diff. incompatible SLR mounts:
R (59-63)
FL (64-68)
FD (71-90)
EF (89-11)

Quote:
No they are not newer 550D

Last but not the least there is a big price gap between 600D and D7000.

Just that 700D is newer 650D with just difference of bundled kit lens and no change in body.

Be 100% sure that absolutely NO canon body comes with AF motor and no canon body needs it either
What is 550's successor then, its either 600 or 650.

Was talking of price gap between 650 & 7000.

Yes 700 is a new SLR with Silent lens tech. Not good at AF though.

Ok so the AF in body is solved. But we do read at many places of its presence.

Last edited by AWD : 6th May 2013 at 11:53.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:04   #11786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What is 550's successor then, its either 600 or 650.

Was talking of price gap between 650 & 7000.

Yes 700 is a new SLR with Silent lens tech. Not good at AF though.

Ok so the AF in body is solved. But we do read at many places of its presence.
Sucessor is right word but sucessor does not mean new 550.

BTW what makes you think AF is not good ?

Reading about AF motor maybe you need to look at better sources then snapsort what actually they mean is that AF motor in Canon body is a moot point so it is equivelent in functionality to a Nikon body with AF motor.

Last but no the least about 4 incompatible mounts in Canon they were for different product lines and clearly mentioned by Canon.

Nikon case is even more messed up as mount is same F mount with a number of variations which makes some of them non-usable on lower Nikon bodies.
Have a look at the compatibility chart from Nikon website.
Old 6th May 2013, 12:29   #11787
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Sucessor is right word but sucessor does not mean new 550.

BTW what makes you think AF is not good ?

Reading about AF motor maybe you need to look at better sources then snapsort what actually they mean is that AF motor in Canon body is a moot point so it is equivelent in functionality to a Nikon body with AF motor
Like Octy has a successor named Laura but Skoda will bring in a new Octy

Read many reviews, the new lens tech. incorporated in new SLR's, the STM lenses are still under developmental stages & AF mech. has some way to go.

Moving away from lenses for a while, so which one should pick, 3200, 5100, 5200 or 550 ?

Last edited by AWD : 6th May 2013 at 12:32.
Old 6th May 2013, 13:48   #11788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since 1959, Canon has had 4 diff. incompatible SLR mounts:
R (59-63)
FL (64-68)
FD (71-90)
EF (89-11)
OK, I think a little explanation is needed here.

R lens was marketed till 1962. It was their so called Super Canomatic fully automatic diaphragm control mechanism.

FL lens was manual (not automatic diaphragm). One needed to stop down to desired aperture to get the correct metering with shutter speed combination.

FD lens (full diaphragm) would do the same metering without stopping down the lens.

EF lens (electro focus) is Canon’s autofocus lens. Production started during 1987.
EF-S lens is for APS-C sensor cameras.

Now, the most interesting part of these lens mounts story.

From the time Canon started making interchangeable lens, basic mount design is kept the same.
Originally it was known as Breech Lock mount with a moving metal ring to lock the lens with the body.
One matches the red dot with the red dot of camera body and applies a slight pressure.
Metal ring moves clockwise (see image below) roughly from 12 ‘o clock position to 2 ‘o clock position. Turning it down more (manually) to 3 ‘o clock position ensures proper locking.
However, there was not audible sound to ensure locking. This locking design continued till late 70. Only mechanism change in terms of lens design was manual diaphragm (FL) to full auto diaphragm (FD).

The DSLR Thread-50mm.jpg

During early 80, Canon changed design from previous Breech Lock to Breech Lock bayonet.
So instead of a metal ring at the back of the lens, whole lens barrel turned into lock with a positive click.
In other word, previous metal ring became the whole lens barrel.
So now one matches those red dots and turn the lens clockwise (see image below) exactly to that 3 ‘o clock position to hear that click sound.

Till date there is no change in lens mounting design. EF (electro focus) lens has the same mechanism with built in motor.

The DSLR Thread-fd.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th May 2013 at 19:21.
Old 6th May 2013, 14:52   #11789
Senior - BHPian

Of course as pointed out by Rudra, Canon EF can be used on APS-C bodies (which use EF-S) but EF-S lenses cannot be used on FF bodies (eg 6D/5DIII/1D)which use EF lenses. So many people use EF lenses on APS-C bodies (eg 7D, 60D) and get a longer focal length because of crop conversion. In fact, Canon sells prime lenses only in EF which are used in both FF/EF and APS-C/EF-S bodies.

I think a 50 mm prime lens becomes a 80 mm length on a 7D and so on. Similarly for zooms.
Old 6th May 2013, 19:46   #11790
BHPian

Rudra,

Excellent info, thank you. However, there was another mount which we might be missing. It's the Canon Range Finder line. But, iirc, they were all LTM mounts and not exactly canon's own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks