Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 13:23   #811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is effectively 15-25mm on APS-C sensor. That's not totally fisheye. I have an extendor lens for my Sony F-717, it is called Raynox DCR-FE180Pro. It is a .24X wide converter, that turns the Sony F-717 effective FL into.. hold your breath... 9-45mm.
I've heard a lot about Raynox converters. Also would've wanted their macro convertor. Could you tell where you bought yours from? I've tried to source one in India and haven't yet been successful with it.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 17th April 2009, 13:44   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
The 12-24 is a rectilinear lens. I quite enjoy the way it exaggerates distances.

While on wide angles, I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 12-24 with the Sigma 10-20 or Tamron 10-24 (they go even wider). Does anyone have any first hand experience with these? Wondering if its worthwhile or whether I should hang on to the 12-24.
Are you on canon or nikon? The Canon 10-22 is one of my favorite lenses.

My all time favorite night composition is with that lens. Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-sd.jpg  

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th April 2009 at 13:46.
Old 17th April 2009, 14:03   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Are you on canon or nikon? The Canon 10-22 is one of my favorite lenses.
Nikon, so the 10-22 isnt an option. Nikon released a 10-24 yesterday, but thats going to take a few months to make it to India. Also, the price seems quite high ($900). Dont see the point of putting that kind of money in a DX lens now as I'm fairly sure I'll pick up a full frame camera in the next year or two.
Old 17th April 2009, 18:00   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And is the Nikon D5000 out in grey?

OT, funny naming for a Nikon IMHO.
Nikon has used the four-digit naming convention before. They used to have 6006, 8008 (601 and 801 in Asia). I guess they resort to it when they exhaust a series - D40, 50, 60 70, 80, 90, 100, 300, 700...

Quote:
The 12-24 is a rectilinear lens. I quite enjoy the way it exaggerates distances.

While on wide angles, I've been toying with the idea of replacing my 12-24 with the Sigma 10-20 or Tamron 10-24 (they go even wider). Does anyone have any first hand experience with these? Wondering if its worthwhile or whether I should hang on to the 12-24.
I suggest keep the 12-24 Jaibir. It's built like a tank, is a very good performer and has a very useful range even when just walking around. I totally love my 12-24. I personally find anything wider than 17mm or 18mm (full frame) hard to use. Add the Nikon 10mm DX fisheye if you want to go wider - I believe it comes with software to straighten the image if you so desire. And at $650-700 is cheaper than the Nikon 10-24mm.

Last edited by StarScream : 17th April 2009 at 18:04.
Old 17th April 2009, 18:04   #815
PVS
BHPian

wow - stumbled upon this thread as I just opened T-BHP; I recently purchased a Canon EOS Rebel XS, so I guess I will find usefull tips about photography and DSLR use here.
Old 19th April 2009, 14:30   #816
Senior - BHPian

Right so now im a part of the gang!

Just purchased a Nikon D40 with an additional manual zoom lens, 8gb card, tripod, and a few accessories. Will get it in my hands in a few days then itll be fun time yipeee.
Old 19th April 2009, 15:28   #817
BHPian

Here is one more addition with Canon EOS450D. Purchased in US from Adorama Camera. The std box along with Lens/memory/bag and a spare battery for $724.

I have to wait for a month to get it in hands. My in-laws are traveling back to India next month and they will carry it with them.

I was looking for a tripod as well. In US it costs around $20-30 and in India it is available for Rs1500-2000 for similar spec.

Can anyone tell me if the locally available Vivicam VPT 1200 (Vivitar Camera Tripod (VPT Series)) is good enough and compatible with Canon EOS450D
Old 19th April 2009, 15:29   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I suggest keep the 12-24 Jaibir. It's built like a tank, is a very good performer and has a very useful range even when just walking around. I totally love my 12-24. I personally find anything wider than 17mm or 18mm (full frame) hard to use. Add the Nikon 10mm DX fisheye if you want to go wider - I believe it comes with software to straighten the image if you so desire. And at $650-700 is cheaper than the Nikon 10-24mm.
Thanks for the advise Starscream. Guess I'll be keeping it for now. Already have a tokina 10-17 fisheye for when I need to go really wide (albeit with additional challenges on composition). Fisheye-Hemi is supposed to be the best software around for de-fishing images
Old 20th April 2009, 17:08   #819
BHPian

Help with pricing on a used 70-200 VR

Folks,

Someone is offering me a used 70-200 VR for 60k. The lens is supposedly in good condition although I haven't seen it yet. I'm not aware of how old it is (will find out when I see it on Saturday). I was wondering if someone can help with the pricing of this lens in the used market and what sort of condition and age should be acceptable for the 60k price.

Thanks
Jaibir

p.s. I was quoted 82k for a new one last week
Old 20th April 2009, 17:11   #820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Someone is offering me a used 70-200 VR for 60k. The lens is supposedly in good condition although I haven't seen it yet. I'm not aware of how old it is (will find out when I see it on Saturday). I was wondering if someone can help with the pricing of this lens in the used market and what sort of condition and age should be acceptable for the 60k price.

Thanks
Jaibir

I am assuming its F2.8 All the good lenses if kept well dont loose much of their value when you go for resale. I would say if the lens is in good condition, 60k is a fair price.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:21   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks
Jaibir

Well I've got no idea about the prices for Nikkor lenses. But, my friend bought a brand new Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM L this week for Rs. 57,500. I believe even if the prices of Nikkor lenses are expensive which I know they are still it won't be so high up the scale. I can try getting the price from the same dealer if you are interested.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:32   #822
Team-BHP Support

There have been 3 weddings in my company since last month. Obviously, all of us colleagues try to get a group shot. But in each case, the photographers asked us to pose in batches of 8 or less. This has been bothering me a little.

Yesterday I attended last of these weddings and finally my curiosity got better of me when the photographer kept stepping back to get just 8 people in the frame. Right after the click, I walked to the photographer and questioned him.

Me: What lens are you using?
He: Nikon.
Me: Thanks, I was asking about the focal-length.
He: Huh!
Me: I wanted know whether it is a wide-angle. (I turn the camera and read from the lens barrel)
Me: Ah, 28-85mm Nikkor... since you are using a dSLR, this is not really a wide angle.
He: No, no, it is a wide-angle.
Me: But you have to multiply by 1.5, this is effectively 42-127.5mm lens, no wonder you are backing up.
He: Huh! It is wide-angle.

And I walked away. It appeared that lot of these wedding photographers have upgraded to digital bodies, but are still using the older lenses they had with the film SLR. As a result their 28-85mm lens has no wide-angle anymore, but they are managing with it. I wonder how many wedding photos have they spoilt with this ignorance.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:41   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
Well I've got no idea about the prices for Nikkor lenses. But, my friend bought a brand new Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM L this week for Rs. 57,500. I believe even if the prices of Nikkor lenses are expensive which I know they are still it won't be so high up the scale. I can try getting the price from the same dealer if you are interested.

Regards,

Anirban.
Would appreciate that Anirban. That sounds like an excellent price for the F2.8 IS. As far as I know, in Mumbai the 70-200 F2.8 IS and 70-200 F2.8 VR are around the same price. Both these lenses are currently in short supply here so the price may be distorted.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:42   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks
Jaibir

Seems like a good deal Jaibir. And it can't be older than 2003, that's when this lens was introduced, replacing the 80-200 AF-S. A good place to check what these go for is ebay.com. Be aware that this is one heavy lens and that limits its usefulness to an extent. My 80-200 is mostly used as a home/potrait lens. I've stopped traveling with it.
Old 20th April 2009, 17:45   #825
Senior - BHPian

@Samurai: Most of these wedding photographers are totally useless. They don't even have a clue on how to meter for light properly - 9/10 images are washed out pictures which make the bride look a ghastly white. Agreed these are challenging situations but the only thing they know is to throw as much light on the bride/groom as possible and totally overexpose the images.

I covered a friend's wedding a few months ago - was using a rented 17-55 f/2.8 IS. The bride's father was cursing the fact that he paid 50k to a so called "pro photographer" after he saw his images and the ones I took. I think if any DSLR owning tbhp'ian gets into this business, most wedding photographers will shut shop .

Last edited by reignofchaos : 20th April 2009 at 17:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks