Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 17:33   #8581
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
.....I will settle for a UV filter only, i am getting a deal of ....... Nikon original UV filter worth 100 at 28500, what say
Ruchir, can you explain that UV filter worth 100 part ? If you can, replace that cheap thing with a lens/sensor cleaner, worth doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
.... I really have to see any real world difference between a photograph taken with UV on and without UV.....
Infact same opinion here. UV filters what people usually buy are waste of money and contribute to a poor image. I had the Hoya ones for my 18-50 2.8 lens bought out of compulsion by my aged Guru who is from the old school. Done lot of tests in different times of the day, finally gave it free to someone else.

Money spent on a CPL is worth and its good to have a CPL on any lens (I use only on wide angles). Sunset to sunrise time and indoors, it remains in my plastic case.
Old 15th October 2011, 18:15   #8582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Rumors for D800/D4/Dxxxy will go on till olympics next year. This was told to me by Nikon PR guys.

Both Canon/Nikon are supposed to bring something new to table next year at olympics. But product cycles are almost overdue now, so anything can happen.

To be honest, all I am waiting for is new TC's (2x and 1.4x), D4 and SB900 replacement.
Ditto here..I am waiting for the D4. There's already talk about most current lenses being inadequate for such high MP cameras.

BTW, they already introduced the TC-20E III in Dec '09

Quote:
That's a slip in CPL used for Nikon's telephoto lenses.

You will probably need screw on types for your lens(es). Check the size imprinted on the inside of the lens cap and go in for the same size. Also, if you MUST go in for UV filters stay far away from the cheap ones. Nikon, Hoyas and B+W are best but can get expensive depending on the model you buy and the size.

Here's the correct link for your reference -

Nikon India Private Limited
Old 15th October 2011, 19:12   #8583

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Ditto here..I am waiting for the D4. There's already talk about most current lenses being inadequate for such high MP cameras.

BTW, they already introduced the TC-20E III in Dec '09
Supposed to be a better TC`s coming in, both for 2x and 1.4x, current Mk3 isn`t that great, does very bad things to anything above 200mm, slow focus, focus shift, sharpness reduced, etc etc etc.

I am skipping D3s in hope for D4, but then to be honest D700 and D3 are doing me fine
Old 15th October 2011, 20:36   #8584
Distinguished - BHPian

This replaced my Canon 1000d.
The DSLR Thread-nikon.jpg

High ISO shots are super impressive, with noise fixed in ACR, it is hard to believe the ISO number. Comes with the same sensor as the D7000, picked this over 550d just for the exceptional sensor and image quality.

I have already started missing Canon DPP, the Nikon RAW conversion software is not half as good to use. A detailed report with images coming after a few days of usage.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th October 2011 at 20:37.
Old 15th October 2011, 21:01   #8585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
After Tanvir!!! Et tu, Brute??

God! where's that feeling called brand loyalty gone?

Great camera indeed. Waiting to see some high ISO images soon.
Old 15th October 2011, 21:36   #8586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
After Tanvir!!! Et tu, Brute??

God! where's that feeling called brand loyalty gone?

Great camera indeed. Waiting to see some high ISO images soon.

The upgrade project originally started with research on Canon 550d. My 1000d had limited ISO range(1600 manual, 800 Auto), low light capability was limited. Everytime i used someone else's 550d, i wanted to upgrade. Bought this just for the praises of sensor. I did not have much to dispose off, just one 50mm lens and a polariser in the kit.

I find the placement of certain controls weird on 5100, maybe i will take some time getting used to it. And View NX2 is disappointing, time to get used to Adobe Camera Raw.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th October 2011 at 21:38.
Old 15th October 2011, 22:07   #8587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 827447

High ISO shots are super impressive, with noise fixed in ACR, it is hard to believe the ISO number. Comes with the same sensor as the D7000, picked this over 550d just for the exceptional sensor and image quality.

I have already started missing Canon DPP, the Nikon RAW conversion software is not half as good to use. A detailed report with images coming after a few days of usage.
Congrats

Try Capture NX and you will not miss DPP
Old 15th October 2011, 22:19   #8588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Try Capture NX and you will not miss DPP
Rajiv with all due respect, if you're a regular (and detailed) Canon DPP user, you won't be saying this.

I've tried DPP/Aperture/Capture from Phase 1. DPP has it's edge in terms of quality and simplicity.

No controversy here. To each his own.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 23:16   #8589
BHPian

Quote:
Nikon India Private Limited - Authorised Dealers

You can get Nikon dealers in Delhi from the link given
Thanks mate :-)

I asked that question more than 5 years ago, bought the D50 around the same time from Pritam in Chandani Chowk :-)
Old 15th October 2011, 23:39   #8590
BHPian

At last, I bought my first entry level DSLR Nikon D3100 from Ebby, Chennai.

D3100 with 18-55mm + free 4GB (class 4) SDHC + free Nikon bag = 26K

I already have 32gb class 10 SDHC purchased in Aug through my relative came from US.

Started learning and exploring it with my 7+ yrs of experience on P&S Sony CyberShot.

Currently the stock lens is naked to dust during usage. I am looking for CPL filter (should not be a costlier one) or Nikon NC filter for stock lens after reading the suggestions here. I think I also need to apply a scratch proof for the LCD. Expecting advice with cost and suitable place in Chennai to buy.
Old 16th October 2011, 10:19   #8591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rajiv with all due respect, if you're a regular (and detailed) Canon DPP user, you won't be saying this.

I've tried DPP/Aperture/Capture from Phase 1. DPP has it's edge in terms of quality and simplicity.

Yes Rudra ji, you may be right as I have never ever used DPP :P
Old 16th October 2011, 10:21   #8592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This replaced my Canon 1000d......
Congrats !! The best thing I like about 5100 is the hinged LCD screen and upgraded sensor. It will be a pleasure to take self portraits, over the head and floor level angle compositions !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
....have 32gb class 10 SDHC.....
Congrats ! Its always best to have four 8GB cards than having a 32 in one. Its not a passing comment, but suggested by professionals always on job. I keep a 4, 8 and 16 in my bag, if required more, I will go for another 8 for sure.
Old 16th October 2011, 15:23   #8593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Congrats ! Its always best to have four 8GB cards than having a 32 in one. Its not a passing comment, but suggested by professionals always on job. I keep a 4, 8 and 16 in my bag, if required more, I will go for another 8 for sure.
Thanks Shajufx. And thanks for this suggestion. But I already bought it before I came to know about this. As long as this card serves me fine, it will be OK to keep it along with 4GB card given as free.

Is there any advice to apply LCD scratch guard? Is it required?
Old 16th October 2011, 15:42   #8594
BHPian

Advice needed guys. I have been using a Sony A230 (which was gifted to me, though I would prefer canon to sony any day) for the past 2 years and feel that I've done as much as possible with the kit lens and really wanted to get a telephoto or a fish eye.

I have two options now - (a) Sell the A230 with the kit lens and get the Canon 500D which I've had my eye on for a long time or (b) Carry on with the Sony and get minolta lenses (the sony ones are too expensive

Your inputs?
Old 16th October 2011, 16:46   #8595

Quote:

DPP is something everyother brand craves, well othe than phaseone guys. Personally I use LR, only gripe it being a bit slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Its always best to have four 8GB cards than having a 32 in one. Its not a passing comment, but suggested by professionals always on job. I keep a 4, 8 and 16 in my bag, if required more, I will go for another 8 for sure.
This used to be good during old times. When CF cards were not so reliable. Now days for pros its more of a fact that one can use 2x 64gb cards to shoot whole wedding but also loosing 1 card means loosing whole wedding worth images. Loosing 1 8gb cards means loosing some imaged but not the whole wedding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks