Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 11:35   #12376
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

One of the criteria was if it could take manual lenses. Barring the older DX cameras most of the modern DX cameras with no focus motors cannot meter with manual (and non CPU) lenses, your settings are then calculated and set manually.

Though mirror less cameras are small their low light performance is much less than FF DSLR. Further good lenses are either non existent or sky high in price, compared to the Nikon/Canon lenses.

In my opinion the major advantage of the Nikon FF cameras is their ability to use older lenses, which if you do not want AF are in general optically as good and can do the job at a fraction of the cost of new "G" lenses.

One advantage of the manual focus lenses is that they have no electronics to go bad, hence will last for decades, and in most cases their construction makes them easy to repair. With AF and SWM motor, you are at the mercy of the manufacturer for spares, which may not be easily available as the technology advances.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:23   #12377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
...Choice 3: Canon - rejected because of poor backwards compatibility...
Poor backwards compatibility for a Canon? Every Canon SLR (digital or film) lens-body combination is compatible with every other Canon SLR lens-body combination made since 1987. The EF-S lenses only work on non-full-frame cameras. EF lenses work on all Canon SLRs. But even then every EF-S lens will work on every non-full-frame DSLR Canon has made since 1987.

Practically, would you ever use a lens or a body made before 1987 for anything other than the novelty factor?
Old 16th December 2013, 13:27   #12378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Poor backwards compatibility for a Canon? Every Canon SLR (digital or film) lens-body combination is compatible with every other Canon SLR lens-body combination made since 1987. The EF-S lenses only work on non-full-frame cameras. EF lenses work on all Canon SLRs. But even then every EF-S lens will work on every non-full-frame DSLR Canon has made since 1987.

Practically, would you ever use a lens or a body made before 1987 for anything other than the novelty factor?
Compared to the Nikon and Sony (ex Konica, Minolta), yes, Canon has poor backwards compatibility. I have a Canon film SLR and was stunned that I would not be able to use the kit lens on the 450D that I was planning at that time. If they did it once, they could do it again.

And for a person who is shying away from spending 50K on a DSLR, the lure of cheap, older lenses is not novelty. Things have changed for me now, but that was my decision making process at that time. In no way am I saying that Canon is an inferior system.

Thank you.

Old 16th December 2013, 15:13   #12379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think there is a disconnect some where. Canon lenses are not backward compatible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm
(see the canon lens compatibility section)
http://www.vistek.ca/marketing/proce...lensmatch.aspx

In contrast Nikon lenses as far back as 60's can be used with Nikon cameras, albeit mostly as manual focus lenses with no in camera metering. You do not have that luxury with Canon.

The USP of older lenses for a budget conscious photographer is that they are quite inexpensive and perfectly usable. Thus if you want to use a 600mm Super Telephoto but do not have $10,000/ for a new lense, you can get the older AIS lense for as little as $2,600/ http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Manu...018802350?r=FE. You have no such options with Canon.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:09   #12380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I think there is a disconnect some where. Canon lenses are not backward compatible...
No disconnect. Perhaps you did not understand what I am saying. To quote from the link on Ken Rockwell you posted:

Quote:
Because Canon wiped the slate clean and created a completely new electronic lens mount system for autofocus in 1987, every camera and lens Canon has made from 1987 through today is completely 100% compatible with everything else made since 1987. Every Canon EF lens works perfectly with every Canon EOS 35mm or digital camera ever made. Their oldest EF lenses work perfectly on the newest EOS digital cameras, and the newest EF and Image Stabilization lenses work perfectly on the very first EOS650 camera from 1987. (Flash is a different story, and the smaller EF-s lenses won't work on full frame cameras.)

Nikon can't come close to this; many Nikon autofocus lenses still sold new today use old technology that won't autofocus on some of Nikon's newest cameras and vice versa! Nikon's old lenses from the 1950s often work on today's Nikons, but likewise Nikon's lens mount also carries a lot of mechanical baggage from the 1950s.
Without making this a Nikon vs. Canon debate, the point I made in my post was that everything made since 1987 works perfectly on every Canon.

From my perspective, that is good enough. I do not envisage a need for me to use lenses older than that. I would rather have a system where I know that everything is compatible with everything else 100% than try to work with something that is not 100% compatible. If the lens won't let me meter or auto-focus, for example, then to me that is hardly being compatible.

If fitting an older lens on a newer camera is the definition of compatibility without paying any heed to how well the combination actually works then I suppose we have a different yardstick for measuring compatibility.
Old 16th December 2013, 16:35   #12381
BHPian

Hi All,

After having some discussions here and with some my friends, I finally bought a Nikon D5200 with 18-105mm kit lens. Being a beginner I guess this cam would help me through the basics of photography. Now its learning time for me

Wish to express my gratitude to all those who helped me out in the discussion and with the decision process especially to one of my best buddies and bhpian vaisakhr

Cheers
Old 16th December 2013, 16:50   #12382
BHPian

Finally...
After evaluating options and delaying the purchase. Yesterday, finally made the plunge into the SLR world.
Bought a Nikon D5100 with 18-55 VR Lens.
Being a newbie to the SLR photography, its a long journey in exploring the techniques of photography.
I might buzz the photography gurus here for some tips for my betterment.

Thanks.
Hope to here more frequently.

Cheers..!!
Old 16th December 2013, 22:18   #12383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

From my perspective, that is good enough. ........ If fitting an older lens on a newer camera is the definition of compatibility without paying any heed to how well the combination actually works then I suppose we have a different yardstick for measuring compatibility.
Quite obviously, from my perspective it is not good enough. And we do have different yardsticks. Lets leave it at that.
Old 16th December 2013, 22:59   #12384
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for the suggestions. I have already invested in Nikons so branching out to Canon or compacts is something I would not consider at this point.

I have manual lenses, autofocus lenses and a G lens. The FE cannot take non AI lenses and the D40 cannot autofocus on the G lens which doesn't have its own motor.

So I just wanted to know if there is a reasonably priced camera body which could work with all these lenses.
Old 17th December 2013, 05:37   #12385
Senior - BHPian

@trammway, look at 24-105 f4 instead of the 24-70, much sharper and a beautiful video/still lens.
Old 17th December 2013, 06:11   #12386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. I have already invested in Nikons so branching out to Canon or compacts is something I would not consider at this point.

I have manual lenses, autofocus lenses and a G lens. The FE cannot take non AI lenses and the D40 cannot autofocus on the G lens which doesn't have its own motor.

So I just wanted to know if there is a reasonably priced camera body which could work with all these lenses.
What is your definition of reasonably priced? I think the D600/610 will meet your requirements. If you want to go real cheap, then the D90 is the starting point. It has an autofocus motor built into the body but will not mount all lenses. You could refer to Ken Rockwell's site. He has a compatibility chart.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:48   #12387
Senior - BHPian

10-15k is the price band I am looking for for a used one and around 25k for a new one.

I am ok with manual settings for the old MF lenses.
Old 17th December 2013, 09:55   #12388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, just saw this. I don't visit this thread that often since I have moved over to mirrorless. I sold only one lens via JJMehta, that was lucky considering there are very few 4/3 users in India. Then I took all my gear to US and listed it on Amazon.com site. It sold like hot cakes, and I was able to fully fund my OM-D + 3 lens purchase from that money.
Oh, That's not a problem. Thanks for the reply. I guess it is tough selling camera gears in India despite what olx and quickr want you to believe.
Old 17th December 2013, 10:46   #12389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
10-15k is the price band I am looking for for a used one and around 25k for a new one.

I am ok with manual settings for the old MF lenses.
Look out for a used D90 then.
Old 17th December 2013, 16:55   #12390
BHPian

Could be little off-topic as this post is not regarding DSLR, but film SLR . Recently I have got my hand on a SLR - Pentax ME Super with 50mm f/1.7 Asahi lens. Got couple of 400 ASA film and started shooting. Soon I would need to develop the films, So wanted to know any shop in Bangalore who develop films (Koramangala, Indiranagar, MG Road area would be preferable)? Also the camera was lying around unused for 20 years and needs to be cleaned (battery I replaced and mechanical part seems working fine); through view-finder you can see a lot debris/particles which are not on mirror, but between a glass pane and prism. So any shop who still does SLR services within reasonable cost and expertise?

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks