Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2013, 12:10   #61
BHPian

Great stuff!

IMO jetta has to be the best enthusiasts car, it has all the bells and whistles in terms of safety and driver aides. It's only let down by VW's poor network.

Swift vs polo tsi vs polo tdi

It has to be the swift not because of its power but how it handles the low grunt of power it has. Sure it does not have great power to weight ratio compared to the Tdi but the way it handles it's power, how eager it is to take a quick turn and how it can make even an amateur feel like he's driving a fast and a great handling car. The fun factor is greater in a swift than the Tdi and when it does breakdown you can repair it easily as maruti's service network is good.

Tdi and Tsi are let down by soft suspension and the brakes lack the initial bite required to stop the gargantum amount of power under their hood. They're more tuned for an urban lifestyle and occasional sprints to the end of line. Thanks to the awesome mileage of the Tdi, people will be more focused on that factor than the fun it has to offer.
D'Artagnan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 12:19   #62
BHPian

Re: 2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

I have three cars in my garage and all of them have made the cut! The Swift, the Jetta and the Brio all make the list.
Woohoo!

The only car on the list that I haven't drive yet is the Linea T-jet.
Gotta make a purchase soon and the Jet is definitely on the list. The only let down with it, as we all know, is the dealership experience. I hope now with Fiat India taking a keen interest things would improve.
How about a more powerful Punto now, Fiat?
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 12:23   #63
Mik
BHPian

While the Figo not making to the list is something I am having a hard time digesting (check my signature ) - moving on, I am surprised with the enthusiast tag to the Liva Sportivo and the Brio. I personally found the engines very sweet but with a dead steering, specially on the Brio. Will definitely drive these cars again to see what I missed.
Ah well! what will a Ford guy say apart from "dead" steering on other cars.

Good list overall. TJET still remains #1 on my next car list.
Mik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 12:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

It feels good to see my car listed here. It was one heck of a task to decide. A Ford Fiesta (then) 1.6l or the Fiat Linea T Jet. The Ford was good in "S" guise. I won't say the same for the standard versions. If I were to look at the bigger picture, the Linea offered more value. The Ford, though good to drive, felt pricey considering the age of the model. It still had the most potent petrol motor among the naturally aspirated club. The Fiat, post massive year end discounts, and when I say massive, its like 1.25lac, a number unheard off when you are talking about a car priced at just 11lac, it just sealed the deal. It was a risk. Ford offered much better after sales support in the one area that spares were available off the shelf for anything I would require for the Fiesta. With the Fiat, there was a small risk to factor to account. So far, I can say there has been no risk at all. The negatives of iffy build, poor after sales support have yet to surface. Off course, the car is still too new and I take care of her very well. There is also the feeling of how the car is holding up and I can say with confidence that the T Jet is quite different from all the other model/variants of Fiats sold now. The car is absolutely tight. All I ask for is better noise insulation. As for driving the T Jet, there is only one way, pedal beyond metal, all the time. The car offers a superb balance of power and control. It is unmatched in its segment.

My next car from the list will be the Skoda Octavia Tsi (not driven one), Toyota Liva and Brio. These are the only cars that seal the deal as far as driving satisfaction goes.

If the Suzuki Kizashi is still on sale, this car needs to be here.
Old 25th November 2013, 15:47   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Toyota Liva 1.5L (TRD Sportivo)
I was planning to change my 4 year old Fiesta 1.6 to a Liva 1.5. But, looks like Toyota has stopped shipping this variant to the dealers. I called up couple of Chennai dealers and none have this variant. Can someone confirm?
Old 25th November 2013, 15:52   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
I was planning to change my 4 year old Fiesta 1.6 to a Liva 1.5. But, looks like Toyota has stopped shipping this variant to the dealers. I called up couple of Chennai dealers and none have this variant. Can someone confirm?
WOW if you're coming from the confidence inspiring steering of the Fiesta might I suggest you stay away far away from the Etios Consider either the new Fiesta or the Linea T-jet
Old 25th November 2013, 16:13   #67
BHPian

Good choices, but I personally disagree about the Jetta.
I drove it when I was shopping for my D-segment choice last year and I was greatly unimpressed. What did impress me was the level of finesse the overall quality and the ride, but what disappointed me was the fact that it didn't thrill in the performance or handling departments - I felt the performance was average the handling was far too neutral and uninvolved.
Since then I've driven two more cars and I haven't really changed my opinion.
Incidentally, the current Jetta's been discontinued by VW. If the announcement's not been made yet expect them to drop the bomb in Jan or Feb 2014.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 16:39   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this can make the cut here but to me one of the finest enthusiast's car in our market was the Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5. This car may not have today's Linea Tjet's acceleration or the Laura TSI's gear shifts et al but for its era the car is an absolute gem. The piece I own is still in pristine condition and its a pleasure to take it out and redline it from time to time. The engine growl, the steering response is just phenomenal.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 17:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5. This car may not have today's Linea Tjet's acceleration or the Laura TSI's gear shifts et al but for its era the car is an absolute gem.
Agree! Another 'recent vintage' (is that even a valid term? ) was the Ford Ikon 1.6 - an absolute thriller in terms of outstanding performance for its era, accompanied by brilliant handling. I remember going neck to neck with a Civic and finally trumping it on an expressway. Pity it was killed off to make way for the Fiesta
Agarwaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 17:53   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Not sure if this can make the cut here but to me one of the finest enthusiast's car in our market was the Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5. This car may not have today's Linea Tjet's acceleration or the Laura TSI's gear shifts et al but for its era the car is an absolute gem. The piece I own is still in pristine condition and its a pleasure to take it out and redline it from time to time. The engine growl, the steering response is just phenomenal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
Agree! Another 'recent vintage' (is that even a valid term? ) was the Ford Ikon 1.6 - an absolute thriller in terms of outstanding performance for its era, accompanied by brilliant handling.
Agree on both, but the list here is of cars on sale in 2013. Otherwise even the likes of Laura vRS would’ve been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Incidentally, the current Jetta's been discontinued by VW. If the announcement's not been made yet expect them to drop the bomb in Jan or Feb 2014.
Could you please share the source of this information? I am a bit surprised because Jetta just came with a midlife facelift in India. And I believe in the US, they have launched a facelift with some key updates like multilink rear suspension (which was present only in the Euro models earlier).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 18:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quite surprised that the Figo is left out and even more surprising that the Punto that many swear by, is missing.
Both their older siblings are present , but they are in a different segment.

In my list, I would remove the K10 , since Brio takes over the pocket rocket tag.

Regards
Old 25th November 2013, 18:35   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Each of these automobiles will bring a smile to your face (*guaranteed*) in their own special way, every time you head out for a drive!
A few cars that come to mind:

- The Mahindra Reva e2o. Spending less than a rupee per km AND saving the environment, and making a big statement in a sprightly little car - that certainly brings a smile to the owner's face.

- The Maruti Suzuki Kizashi. 180+ bhp on tap, with excellent handling. Forget the fuel bill, but the drive definitely puts a smile on the owner's face.

- The Skoda Superb 3.6 V6. Rare car, only available pre-owned, but if one can get one's hand on a good example (and doesn't mind the fuel and maintenance bill) this is THE car to make any competition (even twice or thrice as expensive) eat dust.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 20:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Do the Amaze and Dzire as well like their small brothers, Brio & Swift respectively?! I don't think so.

No idea about Vento/Rapid.

Anurag.
Well I have both the Swift and DZire in my garage so can confidently say that the DZire's performance is a lot similar to that of its hatch sibling. The only difference I feel is in the suspension setup. On an open stretch of road, the DZire certainly feels more planted while around corners it is the Swift which outshines.

Keeping in mind that the Swift and DZire have the same engine and nearly identical weight, I seriously think it should also be considered along with the hatch.
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 20:57   #74
BHPian

Great compilation GTO.
Sure, this thread gonna simplify car buying.
No confusion! Pick your favorite car!
Thanks for your wonderful work.
Old 25th November 2013, 21:21   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Could you please share the source of this information? I am a bit surprised because Jetta just came with a midlife facelift in India. And I believe in the US, they have launched a facelift with some key updates like multilink rear suspension (which was present only in the Euro models earlier).
I should clarify - this Jetta's not being discontinued worldwide, but it's apparently being discontinued in India. Please forgive me for not divulging too many details - I'm not trying to be deliberately secretive but I do have to respect my source's confidentiality. The reasons cited were (a) flagging sales of the Jetta which hasn't lived up to VW's sales expectations and (b) VAG India feels that the re-introduction of the Octavia marginalizes the Jetta even more.

Apparently if you step into a VW showroom today and ask to book a Jetta you'll be told that they've temporarily closed bookings but in reality they've suspended all production and will make the announcement early next year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks