Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:32   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Exactly and very well articulated.

I genuinely feel that objective of this scheme is just to harass and extort money and nothing else.
Yes this drive is nothing but to loot money!

Solution for this is to collect annual (difficult to implement) or 5 year tax for outside vehicles who are not permanent residents. Those who are permanent residents must pay full tax!

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd July 2014 at 14:35.
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:38   #797
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beware 'Out of State' cars: RTO (Bangalore) taxation amendment from 28th Feb, 201

RTO folks made my friend, a Gandhian, visit their office four times to pay tax for his two wheeler when he refused to pay bribe. When they found every document in order, they sent him again asking him to put everything in a folder and submit.
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:39   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RTO is one of the most corrupt department and in government appointment auction industry it fetches max price.
I feel political class wants to pay them back for whatever they might have given for elections by providing extra earning opportunity.
Slightly OT, as this news item talks about a different state's RTA:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle6231910.ece

It only highlights the amount of corruption in RTAs.
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:42   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The point of contention is that the point of status change, which used to be 1 year was changed it to 1 month by Karnataka government thereby changing a bunch of people who were law-abiding earlier into law-breakers.
Quote:
Exactly and very well articulated.

I genuinely feel that objective of this scheme is just to harass and extort money and nothing else.
The 1 month deadline does feel too short, but the 1 year deadline is too long, in my opinion. This gives the violator the opportunity to drive back home once in a year and come back with toll receipts, service bills, and pollution certificates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
During these RTO checks, the officials are looking for company parking sticker, apartment parking sticker, any club membership sticker pasted on the windscreen, OBU device etc to find if you are staying here for a long period.

They also asked one of my friend for the last car service bill. And they checked one of the shopping bill which was lying on the dashboard.
Very methodical, I'd say. So they are doing their job alright, and not just harassing all outstation cars car owners.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:46   #800
BHPian

Got a bizzare but logical response from RTO E-city on Blackpearl case, simply he asked me "Tell me if the company he is working for is not able to provide any document showing that he is on a short term/ less than 30 days assignment, how can my officers trust him?"

I had no answer..
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:00   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
RTO folks made my friend, a Gandhian, visit their office four times to pay tax for his two wheeler when he refused to pay bribe. When they found every document in order, they sent him again asking him to put everything in a folder and submit.
This might be specific to a RTO. For me it just took couple of visits, one to calculate the tax amount and then to submit the application along with the DD. Overall I would have spend around 30-45 mins. But I went to them on a week day. No bribe paid.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:15   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
The point of contention is that the point of status change, which used to be 1 year was changed it to 1 month by Karnataka government thereby changing a bunch of people who were law-abiding earlier into law-breakers.
I have mentioned it earlier, but would say again. It is a very stupid thing to believe that every body would have paid their KA road taxes IF the deadline was the same old 11 months. Because past evidences clearly prove that, it was not the case. There were previous drives (when the time frame was 11 months), yet there were defaulters. And they too had to be taken off their vehicles, to ensure that they paid up the tax dues. Looks like the reduction in tenure is made up as the new excuse to some how NOT pay the tax. So given a chance people would have ignored to pay this tax. And when they get caught, they start whining.

I would wait for more authentic information to believe that every body who had non-KA registered vehicle dutifully paid up the KA road tax when the time window was 11 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26
On my several visits to RTO they themselves sent touts to me to get my work done asking for 5K bribe but I refused and continued to drive with out KA number plate showing tax paid receipt at every check point.
With pride I can say that I too followed the same route when I had my dad's scooter with me. Paid the road tax, but changing the number was a hassle. But the tax paid receipt kept RTO and the Traffic police at bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie
During these RTO checks, the officials are looking for company parking sticker, apartment parking sticker, any club membership sticker pasted on the windscreen, OBU device etc to find if you are staying here for a long period.
Thanks for confirming. This itself proves that RTOs are targetting genuine tax evaders. Compare the genuine tax evaders getting their vehicles seized, with the number of one time visitors & tourists getting caught in this. The numbers for the tax evaders would be really high. Checking in front of Malls etc., my gut feeling is that they are targetting two wheelers. Forum mall I am sure would have a large number of youngsters visiting it - mainly studying in Christ college etc., or techies staying in PGs in Koramangala etc. They may not have the income to buy a car, but may have two wheelers most likely bought from their mother state. What is a better time to catch them other than when they go mall-shopping .
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:25   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
What is a better time to catch them other than when they go mall-shopping .
Maybe KA01 RTO officers trying Forum mall for the first time; KA51 people had already done this at Meenakshi Mall and Gopalan Mall, ORR.
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:28   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would wait for more authentic information to believe that every body who had non-KA registered vehicle dutifully paid up the KA road tax when the time window was 11 months.

I bought a car with a non KA registration in 2010. I was given to understand that the duty the time permitted to pay the KA road tax was 3 months and not 11. 11 months was the time permitted to get a new KA registration number. I paid the KA road tax immediately and it took me more then a year to get the new number plate as there was a issue with the NOC from the other state.
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:32   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have mentioned it earlier, but would say again. It is a very stupid thing to believe that every body would have paid their KA road taxes IF the deadline was the same old 11 months. Because past evidences clearly prove that, it was not the case. There were previous drives (when the time frame was 11 months), yet there were defaulters. And they too had to be taken off their vehicles, to ensure that they paid up the tax dues. Looks like the reduction in tenure is made up as the new excuse to some how NOT pay the tax. So given a chance people would have ignored to pay this tax. And when they get caught, they start whining.
My problem with this thought process is that it makes a section of vehicle owners:

- People who plan to stay in KA only for periods more than 1 month but less than 1 year, and
- People who plan to stay in KA for long time but can play tax only after 1 month but before 1 year

guilty by default, without appeal. You seem to be assuming both these sets have zero members.
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:46   #806
BHPian

Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406023998.996672.jpgCase: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406024017.617538.jpgCase: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406024033.074759.jpgCase: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406024050.860316.jpg

RTO targeting non KA high end cars on brigade road today. As per the RTO inspector maximum stay period of 1 month.
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:47   #807
BHPian

Ok then, I am in for a hard time I guess. I am moving to Bangalore this October and plan to be there for atleast 3 years. My car is just 3.5 months old, with 5 year loan tenure and there is no question of selling it off. There is no doubt that I will pay my LTT within a month, but before October I will be visiting Bangalore to check out houses and other stuffs. I will be staying in my friend's place and hence will not be having any hotel bookings .

Being an IT guy will be roaming near tech parks to look for houses and plan to visit malls as well.

Any advice?

Last edited by narsi_6989 : 22nd July 2014 at 15:51.
Old 22nd July 2014, 16:05   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Attachment 1264811Attachment 1264812Attachment 1264813Attachment 1264814

RTO targeting non KA high end cars on brigade road today. As per the RTO inspector maximum stay period of 1 month.
Check out the number of the RTO vehicle -- 666 ... The number of the beast as per Bible.. how true....

FundaG
fundagenie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 16:12   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
I am moving to Bangalore this October and plan to be there for atleast 3 years. .........
Being an IT guy will be roaming near tech parks to look for houses and plan to visit malls as well.
Since any way you know you would be here for nearly 3 years plan in advance. You have the advantage of having time.
1. Get details on the tax which you may have to pay.
2. Use your contacts to know the RTOs, agents or who ever can help you with the process. Do the ground work at your home state as well.
3. Check your company policy as well. Will they reimburse this cost as well?
Old 22nd July 2014, 16:25   #810
BHPian

I think I'll be the one to stand up for my state's traffic cops. I have had experience with traffic cops of TN, Hyderabad & MH and I can honestly say that Bangalore cops are truly miles ahead in being respectful & courteous.

The other day, I was in my friend's car who was visiting from Chennai for a week. Got stopped by RTO guys since it was a TN registered vehicle. The cop listened respectfully when my friend explained he was a visitor. On being shown the toll receipts & the car service receipts from TN, the cop cheerfully waived us off & even suggested that we take an alternate route as the main road was clogged with weekend traffic.

People here are commenting acerbically about Karnataka here (someone even suggested that Karnataka is preparing for a Zaziya tax).

If you have your papers in order, there's absolutely no issue. However, if you're like my neighbor who hasn't bothered to change the plated even after 4 years of moving here, you'll land in trouble. (My neighbour's car got seized when he got caught)

Last edited by Desi Dybuk : 22nd July 2014 at 16:25. Reason: Grammar
Desi Dybuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks