Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2007, 02:36   #61
BHPian

Mahindra's website doesn't mention it now but couple of years ago it had a mention of technical collaboration with Israel APV maker to make RAM 2000 for Indian Army. This might be the result of that collaboration.

Added Later:

Quote:
wagons. MDS also carries
out bullet proofing of vehicles and cash in transit
vans. MDS has offered RAM 2000 light armoured
multi-role vehicle for trials to the Indian army.
RAMTA Division of Israel Aircraft Industries, Israel,
has developed these vehicles and MDS intends
to eventually manufacture this vehicle in India with
a high degree of indigenisation.
http://ibef.org/download/Mahindra_&_Mahindra.pdf

Last edited by Mayavi : 24th August 2007 at 02:40.
Old 24th August 2007, 04:09   #62
BHPian

The hummer in real life is a crap SUV and does a mile to the gallon. They should have called it the Indian Range Rover :P. But AXE sounds very butch. "Indian Army is ready with the AXE, to cut enemy's heads." Sounds good. Anybody knows how much the army is paying for these babies?
Old 24th August 2007, 08:53   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
Mahindra's website doesn't mention it now but couple of years ago it had a mention of technical collaboration with Israel APV maker to make RAM 2000 for Indian Army. This might be the result of that collaboration.

Added Later:

http://ibef.org/download/Mahindra_&_Mahindra.pdf
i had heard about it too, but i believe that collaboration did not go through as there were some hitches. they had sent a car down to the mahindra facility though for engineering purposes. maybe this car was made copying that car and like mahindra had done in the 60's and 70's with willy's have the grill and their logo's put on it. my jeep is a willy's but sports a mahindra front grill. this was also used in the indian army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro-P View Post
The hummer in real life is a crap SUV and does a mile to the gallon. They should have called it the Indian Range Rover :P. But AXE sounds very butch. "Indian Army is ready with the AXE, to cut enemy's heads." Sounds good. Anybody knows how much the army is paying for these babies?

you cant call the hummer a crap SUV just because it gives a mile to the gallon i think it is a fine peice of machinary that the world took notice off and that is why today on a similar platform the axe id produced. you can say hummer paved the way and axe will cut it down to size
Old 24th August 2007, 10:12   #64
BHPian

Thanks a ton for sharing , Dhiraj.
your the man...............
Old 24th August 2007, 11:05   #65
BHPian

wonder why they named it AXE. Nice name tho. Its would be a dream vehicle to own.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:21   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ Speedy : I think still its an automatic. The huge pedal is a giveaway. Mahindra has already tied up with someone for slush boxes to power their American pickups.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

The Auto Gearbox is from their export ver Scorpio...says this blurb

Quote:
Plans call for five models, like a two-door pickup, to be offered based on the company's domestic Scorpio SUV. All models will feature a four-cylinder diesel engine coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission. Models with a gasoline engine may be introduced later.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Speedy : I think still its an automatic. The huge pedal is a giveaway. Mahindra has already tied up with someone for slush boxes to power their American pickups.
i was studying the picture closely and i think you could be right. but i would like to wait for internal conformation if we do get any till then we can only presume.
the reason i feel it is a manual is because war cars were not made in automatic. even the hummers used in the army are manual cars. yes i know about mahindra's tie up for auto gear boxes for their export model pickups. maybe they did use it to power the axe. the pedal still comes from the scorpio.
will try getting information from the army itself. know an ex armyman.
Old 24th August 2007, 11:51   #69
BHPian

Any chance that GM will out source Humvee production to Mahindra,India...Or "Bangalored" by India?
Old 24th August 2007, 12:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i was studying the picture closely and i think you could be right. but i would like to wait for internal conformation if we do get any till then we can only presume.
the reason i feel it is a manual is because war cars were not made in automatic. even the hummers used in the army are manual cars. yes i know about mahindra's tie up for auto gear boxes for their export model pickups. maybe they did use it to power the axe. the pedal still comes from the scorpio.
Army hummer had automatic trannys from start sir, the army generals where worried that the new generation solders in the US army where leaning to drive on auto boxes and would not be able to drive stick shift. So they were designed with auto boxes from start...3 speed initially later 4 speed. manual if any was on order to civilian vehicle
Old 24th August 2007, 12:45   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely right GTO, it does look like an automatic.

Quote:
Don't think an ex-armyman could be of any help. But you can always try, hope your man belonged to the MT section.

Here is a small article on the AXE, it doesn't give out any great details but can be read once.
Mahindra Axe SUV for Indian army, may build civilian version later - mahindra AXE army SUV
Old 24th August 2007, 14:30   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Army hummer had automatic trannys from start sir, the army generals where worried that the new generation solders in the US army where leaning to drive on auto boxes and would not be able to drive stick shift. So they were designed with auto boxes from start...3 speed initially later 4 speed. manual if any was on order to civilian vehicle
dinar i was talking about the indian army cars. could you show me one jonga or cj or any other small vehicle driven by the jawans. the axe could be an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
Absolutely right GTO, it does look like an automatic.

Don't think an ex-armyman could be of any help. But you can always try, hope your man belonged to the MT section.

Here is a small article on the AXE, it doesn't give out any great details but can be read once.
Mahindra Axe SUV for Indian army, may build civilian version later - mahindra AXE army SUV
the person that i know is an ex general of the army and he got me my jeep. so i think he would be able to find out more about the axe. whats the harm in trying we might be able to get more information on the car.
Old 24th August 2007, 14:48   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yup - my sentiments exact. The large brake pedal is a dead give away! The front end also - looks a lot like the Jonga instead of the Trax.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:01   #74
BHPian

Quote:
even the hummers used in the army are manual cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GS- View Post
Quote:
dinar i was talking about the indian army cars. could you show me one jonga or cj or any other small vehicle driven by the jawans. the axe could be an exception.

the person that i know is an ex general of the army and he got me my jeep. so i think he would be able to find out more about the axe. whats the harm in trying we might be able to get more information on the car.
The AXE was being tested in Faridabad, remember reading it somewhere.
Old 24th August 2007, 15:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

How many of U noticed the Scorpio engine's intercooler??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks