Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 23:25   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Dear Dragon,
The New Camry is a overkilled whooping 22 Lakhs.. You can by a Corolla and a Cedia for that Price... No way comparable in price-wise.. That's why you see more Civics than Corollas..
Morover, Camry is in the segement as Accord...
Was talking design-wise not pricing. I see more Accords on the road as well, than Camrys (if you go segment-wise) old and new models together.
Old 11th February 2008, 11:58   #77
Senior - BHPian

The new Toyota Corolla went on sale in the US over the weekend. Perhaps their US website has the most info (the Japanese website requires some work). For people interested in knowing more and seeing pics, it is here:

All-New 2009 Toyota Corolla
Old 11th February 2008, 12:03   #78
Senior - BHPian

In the US, the 1.8 litre has prices ranging from US$15250-17550. The 2.4 litre XRS is not expected in India, but is priced at US$18760. The prices represent around US$500-1000 more over the old generation price. In rupee terms, only Toyota knows what they will price at, but my guess is somewhat above the present (if it is manufactured in India), say around 3-5% higher.
Old 11th February 2008, 12:09   #79
Senior - BHPian

The difference that I can see:
1. Power and torque diff. is minimal.
2. The std. 1.8 has 195/65R15 tyres, but higher spec 1.8 has 205/55R16. The 2.4 version is just a dream as it is unlikely to be launched in India.
3. God only knows what other features land up in India.
4. There is an ebrochure that can be downloaded.
Old 24th February 2008, 17:54   #80
BHPian

Could this be the new Corolla and could this be coming soon??

Toyota has just launched the new Corolla (called the Corolla Altis) in most of the South Asian markets,
Indonesia: (launch in February): [COLOR=#800080]http://www.toyota.co.id/welcome/[/COLOR] (the image on the home page indicates a Feb launch, rest of the site is in Bahasa Indonesia, so couldnt uderstand a word)
Malaysia (launch in March): [COLOR=#800080]http://www.toyota.com.my/index.aspx?cat=models&sect=altis[/COLOR]
Thailand (launche in February): [COLOR=#800080]http://for-wheels.blogspot.com/2008/02/2008-toyota-altis-on-sale-in-thailand.html[/COLOR]

Wonder if that means it should be coming to India soon . I hope so!!
Old 25th February 2008, 18:12   #81
BANNED

I saw several Altis in the Singapore roads, but i didn't find any differnece. They look like what we have on the roads now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinchawla View Post
Toyota has just launched the new Corolla (called the Corolla Altis) in most of the South Asian markets,
Indonesia: (launch in February): [COLOR=#800080]http://www.toyota.co.id/welcome/[/COLOR] (the image on the home page indicates a Feb launch, rest of the site is in Bahasa Indonesia, so couldnt uderstand a word)
Malaysia (launch in March): [COLOR=#800080]http://www.toyota.com.my/index.aspx?cat=models&sect=altis[/COLOR]
Thailand (launche in February): [COLOR=#800080]http://for-wheels.blogspot.com/2008/02/2008-toyota-altis-on-sale-in-thailand.html[/COLOR]

Wonder if that means it should be coming to India soon . I hope so!!

Last edited by agbenny : 25th February 2008 at 18:16.
Old 25th February 2008, 23:11   #82
BHPian

Yes, you are right. The one in Singapore is exactly the same as the one found in India. When I browsed the Toyota Country specific sites, only Singapore did not mention a new model launch.
Old 27th February 2008, 16:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Question to be asked is can it beat the Honda Civic????My answer would be no. I somehow dont like the looks of new Corolla. People might buy it
for the Toyota brand and the engine. But i feel Civic is a way better car any day!!
Old 27th February 2008, 16:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

Civic looks much better than the new corolla.But the new corolla is far better than the existing one.Pricing can be a crucial matter.If its priced 1to1.5 lakh lesser than the civic ,then the stage is set for a tough competition.
ram
Old 27th February 2008, 16:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Question to be asked is can it beat the Honda Civic????My answer would be no. I somehow dont like the looks of new Corolla. People might buy it
for the Toyota brand and the engine. But i feel Civic is a way better car any day!!
You gotta be kidding me How do you know the Civic is better and that to WAYYY BETTER without even driving the car??? Maybe you dont like the external looks, but forming a strong opinion about which product is better simply based on looks (considering specs of both cars are similar), is jumping the gun a little bit.
There are still folks who believe that Toyota far exceeds the Honda badge....
Old 27th February 2008, 18:25   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
You gotta be kidding me How do you know the Civic is better and that to WAYYY BETTER without even driving the car??? Maybe you dont like the external looks, but forming a strong opinion about which product is better simply based on looks (considering specs of both cars are similar), is jumping the gun a little bit.
There are still folks who believe that Toyota far exceeds the Honda badge....
Aseem, Plz read again what i had said. People might buy only for performance & toyota badge. I said Civic is way better because of the looks interiors,build quality . The present Corolla on our roads build quality was kinda flimsy and many people complained about its suspension. Im not here to criticise Corolla. Everyone knows its a great car. But from my personal point of view Civic is still unbeatable!
Old 27th February 2008, 19:06   #87
BHPian

Corolla is not supposed to be a great looker

Looks are a matter of personal opinion. The Civic is definitely sportier and trendier, has a youth appeal and has quite a snob value. The Corolla on the other hand does not have the same effect, and I dont think it is intended to have that effect. World over, Corolla is supposed to be a 'boring' but dependable car; so I wont be surprised if the new Corolla cant beat the existing Civic in the looks department.

But I disagree that the existing Corolla has a flimsy build quality. Its a statement I've seen in Auto Magazines; but am yet to meet a single Corolla owner who shares this view. I've driven an 'abused' Corolla (one that has only been driven by professional drivers on Gurgaon roads), when it had clocked 30k, and the drive was like that of a new car.

Interestingly. in my research to buy a car in this segment, I decided to talk to owners (known and unknown) to get an opinion on the two cars from a long term ownership perspective. So, I got hold of people in parking lots or on traffic signals (if they happened to stop next to my car). To my surprise and contrary to mag reviews, I heard more positive things from Corolla owners than I heard from Civic owners.

I was very clear when I set out to buy a car that Civic was what I was going to get, but now I am convinced that Civic isnt for me. The decision now is to get this Corolla or wait for the new one, still a tough choice
Old 27th February 2008, 20:13   #88
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is present in China through Guangzhou Toyota. Its website is

Although it is in Chinese, you can visit it and come across an interesting feature:

TOYOTA - ²úÆ·Óë¼¼Êõ

The interesting thing is that both the old Corolla and new Corolla are featured as being presently sold in China. The old Corolla is Corolla EX.

Toyota did sell around 0.5 million in China last year and so perhaps both may have a market there. Will this happen in India? The next few months will tell.

By the way, the new Corolla was launched in US this month. The old Corolla was showing some signs of decline because of expectations about the new one. However, the old one still managed to outsell the Honda Civic in the US in 2007.
Old 27th February 2008, 20:37   #89
BHPian

I think the one launched here will have the "Asian look" rather than the American one. The Asian model sports a grill with thick horizontal chrome lines which, to me, looks better than the mesh grill.

Also I find that in Thailand they have a 1.6 ltr version. The higher end 1.8 ltr one costs about 969,000 Bahts which works out to approximately Rs 13 lacs here. I think this is a fair expectation of price when it get launched here.

Last edited by appuchan : 27th February 2008 at 20:49.
Old 27th February 2008, 20:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

Minor external changes are possible, but I did read sometime back from Toyota itself that unlike the last generation, they planned to introduce a common car worldwide. That has so far happened. Even in UAE, they have a 1.6L and 1.8L.

What is less sure is whether the present Corolla will still be sold or yanked. I get the SIAM production numbers and if Corolla's production drops drastically in a given month (producing around 500-600/mth now based on demand) or stops, you can be sure that the new Corolla is around the corner. This has already happened with Honda's Accord production, and happened with Qualis and City some years back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks