Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2016, 00:14   #5281
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Toyota to Offer Pre-Owned Leasing:
Toyota is certain that adding a leasing option to its certified pre-owned inventory would boost CPO sales and clear lots in the face of a growing compliment of three-year-old product, Automotive News reports.

The plan has already been quietly rolled out in the U.S. Northeast, but a national strategy should be in place by the end of April, dependent on training in each dealer region. The option would allow a reduced commitment for buyers who don’t want to finance the full cost of a pre-owned vehicle.

Source:Toyota dealers get CPO leasing
Old 22nd March 2016, 17:39   #5282
BHPian

Hi All,

I would be travelling to US and would be staying Dallas Area. My question to all folks is regarding the Insurance. I have driven in US (back in 2003-4) and would need to renew my License / apply for new one. Assume I can drive on my Indian License and since I have a valid SSN should be able to register the car.
For insurance what documents do I need to lower my premium. My current Indian insurance has NCB of 65% . Can I use that to lower my insurance premium in US? If so, do they need a document from my current insurance certifying the NCB value?
Old 22nd March 2016, 19:26   #5283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Hi All,

I would be travelling to US and would be staying Dallas Area. My question to all folks is regarding the Insurance. I have driven in US (back in 2003-4) and would need to renew my License / apply for new one. Assume I can drive on my Indian License and since I have a valid SSN should be able to register the car.
For insurance what documents do I need to lower my premium. My current Indian insurance has NCB of 65% . Can I use that to lower my insurance premium in US? If so, do they need a document from my current insurance certifying the NCB value?

People from the lone star state will answer this better but AFAIK, you cannot use the NCB from India for lowering your insurance. As mentioned before and as you probably know already, that amount paid for insurance is depended on many variables.
Old 23rd March 2016, 00:18   #5284
Senior - BHPian

Jeep rental experience and trail driving

I had the opportunity to rent a jeep from Barlow jeep rentals and do a couple of trails in Sedona. I would strongly advice Bhpians to give it a try once and you will be love the experience.
Jeep rental: http://www.barlows.us/

Trails done: Soldier Pass and Broken arrow trail.

First trail we did was Soldier pass which is easy with a moderate climb. Skill level required was easy/moderate. The jeep helps you if you have a faint idea of what you are doing.

Once we got done with this trail, we had lunch and then hit the Broken arrow trail which is a moderate to adventurous trail. I had checked a couple of videos of this trail which helped me not miss any part of it. The highlights of this trail were:
A short hill step climb.
A longer step hill climb.
A Rock climb on top of a hill. This felt like a roller coaster as there were sheer drop offs on all sides.
After a couple of more rock climbs and making your own roads we finally reached the Devils Staircase. This was a steep 70 degree drop with stones as high as 2-2.5 feet high. Strong foot on the brakes is recommended to reduce any damage to the vehicle.

It was more of a adventure trail driving experience where a little skill could be complemented by the Jeep which makes the entire experience effortless.

Jeep review
Pros:
Silent petrol engine is smooth and has the adequate amount of torque. Makes the trail looks effortless.
Tires and ride height were changed from the stock vehicle. This helped climb rocks and boulders.
Seats were comfortable and reduced strain. We had a 2 door so did not experience the rear bench which may have been bumpy.
Looks were amazing and every jeep owner waves at you, similar to how bikers wave at each other.
Awesome go anywhere feeling which gives confidence.

Cons:
Interiors though were a huge step up from the mm540 i have back home was not upto the other SUVs in the american market. Felt very bare and basic.
Squeaks were heard during the ride, may have been due to constant abuse of the rental vehicle.
Highway driving is not recommended due to the bumpy ride and the open side curtain which will add to stress on the journey.
Brakes on road were not very confident inspiring. Felt like braking a ship.

Would i recommend this to anybody: Hell Yeah!
Would i buy this vehicle: Never as my only ride.

Comparison with a MM540: If MM540 is a 1980s Jugaad, this one is a true blue higher upgrade with no corners cut.

Couple of videos:

Some pics are attached.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0519.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0521.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0522.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0523.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0527.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0529.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0534.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0539.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_0552.jpg

Maddy

Last edited by maddy42 : 23rd March 2016 at 00:20. Reason: Trying to rotate pictures
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 05:34   #5285
BHPian

Hi Guys,
This is my first post on this forum after moving to Canada. I am buying a 2015 Hyundai Sonata tomorrow. Searched the forum for long term ownership reports from members in Canada, but couldn't find any. If anybody is out there, please share your thoughts.
Old 29th March 2016, 06:38   #5286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am buying a 2015 Hyundai Sonata tomorrow.
My friend owns a Hyundai and the best part is the warranty program it comes with. Other than that its still a hyundai and will run like any other hyundai.

An accord compared to this Hyundai will fell more plush and better IMHO.
Old 29th March 2016, 23:27   #5287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
Hi Guys,
This is my first post on this forum after moving to Canada. I am buying a 2015 Hyundai Sonata....
You should check out hyundai forums.com, they have a bunch of people with new Sonata's and can help you with all your questions pertaining to snow/AWD/Tires et..

But all in all I have heard good things.

Last edited by Fraz33r : 29th March 2016 at 23:27. Reason: edited Car: Thought it was santa fe..
Old 29th March 2016, 23:58   #5288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
This is my first post on this forum after moving to Canada. I am buying a 2015 Hyundai Sonata tomorrow. Searched the forum for long term ownership reports from members in Canada, but couldn't find any. If anybody is out there, please share your thoughts.
My friend has a Hyundai Sonata as well. Its the 2.0T trim with all the features. He was quite happy with it until he hit a deer. Insurance did not write it off so he got it repaired. But now he is not happy with the car because it keeps giving him some problem or the other. I think that is bound to happen with any car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Trim to trim comparison i doubt you'll be able to pick one over the other.
Old 30th March 2016, 01:20   #5289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
This is my first post on this forum after moving to Canada. I am buying a 2015 Hyundai Sonata tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My friend owns a Hyundai and the best part is the warranty program it comes with.
As VW2010 mentioned the warranty program is very good. The only downside is the brand depreciates greater than a honda. So over a period of time you loose more value. If you do not care about that and love how the car feels inside, please buy it at the right price.

Maddy
Old 4th April 2016, 00:14   #5290
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know to remove a 2014 Corolla rear bench seat? I removed the front wire clips, something is holding the rear down. Unable to locate clamps. Any ideas?
Old 4th April 2016, 00:32   #5291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Does anyone know to remove a 2014 Corolla rear bench seat? I removed the front wire clips, something is holding the rear down. Unable to locate clamps. Any ideas?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/37...1229185?page=1

Apparently there is a bolt in the CENTRE.
Old 4th April 2016, 21:56   #5292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/37...1229185?page=1

Apparently there is a bolt in the CENTRE.
Thanks, will check on it. The Corolla repair manual does not mention this bolt. Will pull out the felt material and check. I am running with Leather covers only in the front.
Old 6th April 2016, 14:50   #5293
BHPian

Hi VPSuchin

Thanks for the info. I am still doing a little research on the models and variants.

The E90 and F30 versions was something that the dealer never mentioned to me. I did see that in a spec sheet, but didnt pay attention to that detail. Thanks for highlighting it and letting me know about it
Old 6th April 2016, 18:16   #5294
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
The E90 and F30 versions was something that the dealer never mentioned to me.
If you really love driving and don't care too much for rear seat comfort look for a well maintained E90 335i - I had one for 6 years and the only reason I traded her in was because I needed something a bit bigger.
Was very reliable for over 90,000miles.

I miss driving her every single day!

It's a beautiful car to drive and the last 3-Series to be equipped with hydraulic steering.

The few problems with the car were the injectors and high pressure fuel pump, which were all addressed as part of a recall by BMW.

The Sport Package comes with rock solid handling but rock hard RFT (Run-Flat) tyres - these can be upgraded to the much softer but still excellent handling BMW Performance Suspension with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports tyres.

The E90 328 with the naturally aspirated 6-cyl engine is also an excellent car for the back roads but it's downside is the sluggish GM automatic gearbox - unless you get a manual transmission car.

The downside is that you're probably going to get one at-least 4 years or older with a lot of miles, and will need to have some minor things taken care of to get it driving as brand new.

The F30 is a little bigger but softer with electric steering and the smaller engine is now a 4-cyl turbo, which is just sad.
aah78 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 16:42   #5295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
If you really love driving and don't care too much for rear seat comfort look for a well maintained E90 335i - I had one for 6 years and the only reason I traded her in was because I needed something a bit bigger.
Was very reliable for over 90,000miles.

The E90 328 with the naturally aspirated 6-cyl engine is also an excellent car for the back roads but it's downside is the sluggish GM automatic gearbox - unless you get a manual transmission car.

The downside is that you're probably going to get one at-least 4 years or older with a lot of miles, and will need to have some minor things taken care of to get it driving as brand new.

Thanks Sir, for the inputs.

I have been checking CARMAX, RiKart and some other dealers for some deals and their stock of the 3 series. Have not yet found something that fits.

I happened to spot a 428i x-drive at a mall recently, and it looks pretty classy too being a convertible . For a moment, I just stood there admiring it. Then I realised I wasn't in India and it could get into trouble if I continued to stand like that.

Any insights into certified used, and / or buying second hand from dealers like carmax

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks