Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Int'l Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 00:09   #106
BHPian

This is not the first time this has happened. I ve been noticing it the entire season, he keeps confusing the people. He even once earlier in the season said schumacher as rosberg... Red and yellow helmets ???? How more different can it get. I used to like his commentary in combination with Cris Goodwin. Sad to say but his quality of commentary has certainly gone down.
Old 20th November 2012, 13:11   #107
BHPian

Re: Steve Slater's blunders during commentary

Star sports brought Tim Harvey to commentate the last 3 races and it has been a complete mess. We had the super Steve Slater earlier and now this idiot. They can't spot drivers, turns, positions, timings and talk about unrealistic things.

Steve keeps on repeating "We'll get a confirmation on that one" and "Meanwhile". Wish they bring some new folks for 2013.
go-pg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:51   #108
Senior - BHPian

I haven't watched a single race in ESPNStar for close to 2 seasons now, Thanks to Steve Slater. Last year, it was all BBC and this year, its SkySports. Star was okay when Chris Goodwin was around. Then it became unbearable.

The Sky coverage is simply awesome! Guys, please give it a try and see what you're missing.
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:06   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I haven't watched a single race in ESPNStar for close to 2 seasons now, Thanks to Steve Slater. Last year, it was all BBC and this year, its SkySports. Star was okay when Chris Goodwin was around. Then it became unbearable.

The Sky coverage is simply awesome! Guys, please give it a try and see what you're missing.
Where do you watch it? using that link pavan posts? I have watched a race or 2 on that but with screen size is too small. Coverage is far beyond excellent if you compare it to Star Sports+Slater. And no breaks.
Old 23rd November 2012, 16:06   #110
BHPian

Actually if you have a high speed broadband, quality is wathchable even on a 32 inch screen - that i hook my pc onto. However if you been used to HD you will be disappointed.
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:04   #111
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, the display quality suffers. Unless you're on iPlayer with BBC. But the awesome coverage more than makes up for it.

I would prefer a grainy Sky to ESPNStar HD any day.
Old 28th November 2012, 13:19   #112
BHPian

Cant put an end to the season without stupid slaters foot in mouth moment, anyone noticed on the last lap as vettel is crowned champ he mouths off vettel equals juan pablo mon... ummm fangio inspite of juan manuel fangio!! seriously this guy is demented. luckily watched entire season on sky F1 and it was only the last lap of season that unluckily i had to tune in to star as net was down. And then slater comes up with this??
Feel sorry for the public who have to take his BS every race.
Old 28th November 2012, 16:18   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Yeah, the display quality suffers. Unless you're on iPlayer with BBC. But the awesome coverage more than makes up for it.

I would prefer a grainy Sky to ESPNStar HD any day.
I completely agree with you. the camera angles between sky and star is the same, just the commentary is different. Sky rocks!! before the race they have a grid walk with martin brundle, that is so cool!.
Old 6th December 2012, 12:24   #114
BHPian

He keeps saying its the small screen they are viewing. But then Karun doesnt wear glasses and he is sharp.

Here's how a perfect race weekend goes: So you are keen on seeing some action on a great circuit, great qualifying drama but then Slater talks, great start to the race Slater talks, superb overtaking allround but then Slater talks. I wish the guy kept quiet. He can ruin the F1 experience just by talking, so many mistakes. Can't Star Sports find another person to commentate?
Old 6th December 2012, 12:51   #115
Senior - BHPian

All the guys bashing Slater should try giving live commentary on any sport that you enjoy. Switch on TV, mute volume and try giving commentary on what you are watching. Commentary is not an easy task. It's tough and mistakes are bound to happen. In all the sports that I have watched, I have never heard perfect commentary.
Old 6th December 2012, 13:11   #116
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what happened to good ole Chris Goodwin. Yes he had joined Mclaren when hamilton came in and was involved with the drivers at some level. He was pretty sharp with his commentary.

Karun Chandok does a decent job on commentary. I have to admit, Steve Slater has gotten a bit too old for the job. I recall noticing Vettels move on Vergne (the yellow flag saga) and I was saying to myself, "didnt he do that under yellow flags"? Star sports never even brought that situation up all race. Even K.C missed out on that one.

Star sports is all we got. N i for one am glad that they are going to show all practise sessions next year. I dont think Steve Slater is going anywhere either. Tim Harvey was slightly better at Austin, India and Abu Dhabi. Let see more of him!

On another note, Paul malai doesnt fit in the show at all. Easy on the eyes maybe but she has no clue what the sport is about.
Old 12th December 2012, 13:25   #117
BHPian

Steve Slater can't be pardoned for making so many mistakes. Im sorry, maybe its a tough job, but there are competent commentators that can take his place. Just because I can't do it doesnt mean someone else can't do it and we are paying Star Sports to watch F1 aren't we? Maybe this thread needs to be closed or Steve Slater moved
Old 12th December 2012, 13:44   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
All the guys bashing Slater should try giving live commentary on any sport that you enjoy. Switch on TV, mute volume and try giving commentary on what you are watching. Commentary is not an easy task. It's tough and mistakes are bound to happen. In all the sports that I have watched, I have never heard perfect commentary.
It's not easy but he's a professional, and I am sure he's getting paid big money for this. It's like we can't blame our cricketers for the poor show against England on home soil because none of us would be able to do a better job than them.

Hell, I can. Slater & our cricketers - both of them. Especially when there are people doing a far better job (not perfect but much better).
Old 14th March 2013, 13:54   #119
BHPian

"Been waiting for Fox Sports announcement, but new deal means I won't be commentating this season. Busy writing instead #nomorefiveredlights" - From Steve Slater's twitter feed.

Though I had gotten increasingly miffed with his gaffes, have mixed feelings about this. Life's strange like that, huh?
codelust is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 14:58   #120
Senior - BHPian

Oh thank god, Steve Slater is not commentating anymore.
His blunders are well known and makes a lot of errors in each and every race.

I hope the replacement is someone who understands the sport. Finally I can watch F1 on TV rather than on Laptop.
speedmiester is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks