Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2014, 13:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
Did you try and press the reset button on the fuel consumption screen. When I got mine at first it kept showing 9 kmpl with AC on. But after the reset, right before a long highway drive it achieved 18 kmpl with AC on. At present I am getting 12.6 kmpl with AC on in city. 10% consists of 1st gear, 60% of my drive consists of 2nd and 3rd gear, and 10% consists of 4th and 5th gear.
I think I have never tried that somehow. Let me do that and will post the result. Thanks!
Old 17th August 2014, 15:44   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Ha ! So that explains the sudden spate of rise on weekend drives!
Thanks Ampere.

Yes, however only two of the plans have come to worked out. Shivanasamudra - Gopalswamybetta & Belum caves- Gandikota (travelogue in assembly line).

As discussed in routes thread planning Jog& Agumbe this month end

Quote:
But the same fact (that the engine >2L), gives it a phenomenal punch for the highway. If you are looking for the cruise, look no further.

- How is the audio quality? Any changes planned on that front?
- If you dont have a GPS, I would recommend a Garmin 14XX series for the road. I know the vehicle comes with MMI, but I would still recommend the PND.
Yes, highway cruiser was my primary requirement. I am still using Alto for my daily drive.

-Audio quality is average. However as of now no plans of upgrade, for one I am not much of an audiophile. Also, the easiest upgrade is limited only to changing speakers since Infotainment system can not be changed.

-Infotainment system has inbuilt GPS, however I find the UI of the same bit tricky. The maps are by MMI and well detailed though. Since most of my travel was comparatively familiar area with prior input from TBHP I have not used GPS extensively. May have to buy a standalone unit as mentioned by you later if it becomes cumbersome to use.

My current priority is to purchase a dash cam, may be in couple of months will buy the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
The infotainment always shows 11.1 KMPL as the mileage that I am getting. Even on long distance drives it remained the same. I am surprised at how you are getting 14 and 17 KMPL!!!
Do check out after re-setting the mileage as mentioned. I have covered around 4400 KMS till now and most of that was on highways. The mileage displayed in city was around 12 KMPL or so.
The usual highway ( 4/6 lane) mileage is around 14.5 ~ 15 KMPL with AC. However I have seen posts by other XUV owners who regularly get above 16 KMPL on highway. I hope my mileage will increase a bit after first service due in another week.

What is your ODO reading now, has your XUV completed first service?

A three day weekend with no other plan and a ~800 KM trip coming up mid week made me spend some time with the XUV today. Checked all fluid levels and cleaned the vehicle.

Oil has become black, hope to take the vehicle for first service next weekend.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-cam00189.jpg
Old 17th August 2014, 17:28   #48
BHPian

All, I did reset the mileage and now it shows 14.5-15.1KMPL while on a 25KM drive with AC. That's a big change all of a sudden..???

@mpksuhas, the ODO reads 7500 as of now and have completed the first service.
sudheermenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 22:56   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheermenon View Post
All, I did reset the mileage and now it shows 14.5-15.1KMPL while on a 25KM drive with AC. That's a big change all of a sudden..???

@mpksuhas, the ODO reads 7500 as of now and have completed the first service.
It most likely is accurate. So far the in-dash mileage reading has been quiet accurate to the ones doing full tank to full tank method. The mileage you first got was an average of the 7000+ kms and on top of that the result would have varied if the initial mileage it showed was lower (i.e. when you got your vehicle) so average takes a long time to climb up the ladder.

And most of all the mileage depends on the way you drive. Overall I love the mileage this beast churns out.
Old 18th August 2014, 09:17   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
As discussed in routes thread planning Jog& Agumbe this month end
My first trip with the car was to Thirthahalli and Agumbe Got delivery of the vehicle on a Friday and Saturday morning, we were off to Thirthahalli. That's where I realized the usefulness of static bending lights. While driving at night, through the narrow and twisty roads of Thirthahalli, it was a boon.
Quote:
Yes, highway cruiser was my primary requirement. I am still using Alto for my daily drive.
Same here. I feel a lot less stressed driving the XUV on highways than my Figo. If you are doing 60 kmph in 6th gear and press the accelerator, it lunges forward and the speed mounts real quick. Overtaking and cruising is a lot easier with this one. I have kept the Figo for intra-city commute. But off late, I have found that it is not very difficult to maneuver the XUV within the city. Only problem is the parking.
Quote:
-Audio quality is average. However as of now no plans of upgrade, for one I am not much of an audiophile.
I found the audio quality to be acceptable.
Quote:
-Infotainment system has inbuilt GPS, however I find the UI of the same bit tricky. The maps are by MMI and well detailed though.
Yes, the UI of the inbuilt navigator seems to be a little bit fuzzy. I'm learning to master it, but till then, I use google maps on my phone, in conjunction with the built in unit, to find the finer details about places and landmarks.
Quote:
My current priority is to purchase a dash cam, may be in couple of months will buy the same.
I'm also planning to get a dash cam, for multiple reasons. Have put the purchase on hold for the time being as most of the short listed ones are costly. Please let me know if you find something good.
Quote:
The usual highway ( 4/6 lane) mileage is around 14.5 ~ 15 KMPL with AC. However I have seen posts by other XUV owners who regularly get above 16 KMPL on highway. I hope my mileage will increase a bit after first service due in another week.
I'm getting the same mileage as mentioned above (15-15.6 kmpl on 4 and 6 laned highways). The first service was done last week (@5280 kms) and am yet to check the highway mileage after this. Hope it goes up.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 01:52   #51
BHPian

Hello Suhas,

Firstly, a heartfelt thanks for the detailed review and photos in your thread.

Few questions:
1. Is the rear bumper guard approved by Mahindra, I mean does it structurally hamper the vehicles' crash response?
2. Can you summarize your findings about the niggles thread, e.g. Amaron vs Exide was one, any more opinions or checks that one needs to carry out beyond the PDI checklist?
3. Any reason you did not select the Sportz version?

Thanks.
Old 27th August 2014, 23:08   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

First service - 5353 KM's

Took vehicle was first service last Saturday. Due to an outstation trip during middle of the week, was able take for first service only at 5353 KM's. Had checked with my RM and also other XUV owners on TBHP regarding the upper cut off of ODO reading for service.

Though my RM did no mention any specific KM as such, from other TBHPians was able to make out that M&M is flexible till ~ 5500 KM's for first service.

Booked the appointment at Anant cars Bannerghatta road for 8.30 AM, got late and reached there by 08.50 AM. The RM whom I had interacted with earlier was not available and another RM was having a tough time to attend to 24 XUV's which had come for service.

Luckily my count came within 30 mins. Apart from oil / filter change I asked for checking a rattling sound coming from somewhere around dash / centre console area. RM tried a bit to push anti- rust coating and the usual stuff, which was all declined by me. I was informed that vehicle would be ready around 03.30 PM. Handed over the keys and left.

I reached back at 03.45 PM and check with RM about vehicle status, to her credit she was able to make out which was my vehicle without checking through papers of all 24 XUV's. Anyways, I am informed that oil change is done and they are currently trying to find out reason for rattle.

While waiting in customer lobby I see the vehicle being taken out for test drive, I run towards the gate and hop in the vehicle. Technician inform that he had greased the suspension and checked for any loose nut in engine bay.

I was not able to reproduce the sound after a test drive of around 3 KM's, unfortunately later after getting the vehicle from service centre I make out that the issue is not fixed. The sound is more like a loose panel rubbing than suspension related. I suspect it is coming from somewhere behind infotainment system. However I am unable to figure our exact location or source of the same.

Back in service centre, vehicle is washed and I get the it back around 05.00 PM. This is my first service visit to an M&M center. As mentioned earlier during repair visit, the workmanship as good or bad as I came across at Maruti. However I feel a bit of slowness in all things done, to put it in a better perspective. I would say the difference is like dealing with a private sector bank and a public sector bank.

View of service area from customer lobby. They don't allow customers to go near cars while servicing.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-cam00195.jpg

Total cost Rs. 2402, which includes around Rs. 190 for consumables. Consumables in this case as per RM is the protective covers for seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
1. Is the rear bumper guard approved by Mahindra, I mean does it structurally hamper the vehicles' crash response?
2. Can you summarize your findings about the niggles thread, e.g. Amaron vs Exide was one, any more opinions or checks that one needs to carry out beyond the PDI checklist?
3. Any reason you did not select the Sportz version?
Thanks Fornax.

1. Yes, rear bumper is a M&M accessory. I do agree it may effect the crash response, however there is no crumple zone in rear for XUV. Hence I do not think it is going to much of an issue, this was the reason I opted not to install front bumpers.

2. Amaron was preferred not due to niggles thread, but due to overall positive feedback about the brand compared to Exide. Another important point to note is about tyres, based on comments I feel Bridgestones are the best bet. Do check out for glue marks around rear door badging, it is very stubborn and may cause paint loss if tried to remove. I had to get rear boot door repainted due to that. Apart from the same I guess there are nothing much to worry about, the usual PDI check will do fine.

3. I liked the white exterior, dark interior combination of sportz edition. Apart from that I didnt like anything much. It was costlier, feature wise addition was only rear camera and the interior mix of cloth and leather upholstery was not to my taste.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:19   #53
BHPian

Re: First service - 5353 KM's

Quote:
Took vehicle was first service last Saturday.
Suhas, overall, I think the service experience was not too bad for you. My vehicle was attended by Ms. Kavitha and she did a good job overall. I was not too happy with the exterior washing and that maybe due to the fact that it was raining heavily the day I send the car for service. I opted for the under-body coating, but declined the paint treatment which they suggested.

Quote:
1. Yes, rear bumper is a M&M accessory. I do agree it may effect the crash response, however there is no crumple zone in rear for XUV. Hence I do not think it is going to much of an issue, this was the reason I opted not to install front bumpers.
The vehicle has a provision for installing the rear nudge guard and also, M&M markets this accessory, unlike the front bull bar. So I think that it should be OK to fix it to protect the rear from minor hits.
Quote:
Another important point to note is about tyres, based on comments I feel Bridgestones are the best bet. Do check out for glue marks around rear door badging, it is very stubborn and may cause paint loss if tried to remove. I had to get rear boot door repainted due to that.
I too had opted for Bridgestones after reading through multiple threads and forums. I think they are the best set of OEMs. But once it is time to change, I may go for something else.
Even my car has the glue marks and decided to live with it for the time being. They are not much visible on the Dolphin Grey body colour.
Quote:
3. I liked the white exterior, dark interior combination of sportz edition. Apart from that I didnt like anything much.
I always wanted the white body colour with black interiors. It was not available on the regular variants and surprisingly, my wife liked the stickers on the Sportz edition and she usually does not like the graphics at all. But for me, it was not a choice as the Sportz was not available in AWD trim. That is one grouse I have with M&M - I pay the maximum amount for the car and still get the minimum set of choices. Don't understand their logic
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 19:49   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Update ODO - 6500 KM's

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
I was not too happy with the exterior washing and that maybe due to the fact that it was raining heavily the day I send the car for service.
Yes, the service experience was nothing to complain about. I too have felt the exterior washing at Anant cars is not up to the mark. Anyways, for me as soon as I took the vehicle outside the service center it started raining. So good wash or bad wash the results would have been same.

ODO reading 6500 KM's

Went for a three day trip to Agumbe - Thirthahalli and Jog falls over last weekend. With that ODO reading is nearing 6500 KM's, though highway manners of the vehicle is known it was the behavior on ghat road that impresses.

The rattling sound from front passenger well / behind dash is mostly something not tightned properly and not from suspension or any moving part. Though it needed some divine intervention to make it out.

While driving through Bangalore last week there was a Ganesha procession who was playing loud music. While I was waiting for the procession to pass I could hear the rattling each time any loud music was played from outside. Though still I am not able to make out the source of the issue.

After the Agumbe trip vehicle was covered in dirt, so thought of using the free 'Monsoon Wash' offer of M&M. I was not able to register for the same by sending SMS since I was getting an error as my number was not registered. So called up Purple club number and they gave a code which was to be given to any service center to avail the service.

Since it was just an exterior wash thought of going to Sireersh Auto showroom in Marthahalli which is next to my house. Reached there around 08.15 AM last saturday to find the service center empty. Security asked me to come around 10.00 AM. Went again around 11.00 AM, though I was having the code for free wash they generated request for the same online. The code they received also was the same as what I got form Purple club call centre, guess they generate only one code per car to avoid same person availing the service more than once.

Handed over the vehicle and waited for around one hour, vehicle was washed much better than at Anant cars.

A pic from Agumbe, travelogue.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-suh_5259.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 21:36   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

10000 Kms update

During recent trip to Goa completed 10K KM's.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-cam00218.jpg

At 10663 KM's took the vehicle for second service at Anant Cars, Bannerghatta road. Had taken an appointment for 09.00 AM & reached service center at 08.40 AM. As usual, there was huge weekend rush and it was about an hour later that SA took down issues in job sheet.

Few issues I had mentioned -
  • Speedometer console rattle- Well known issue in XUV
  • Rear number plate rattle - An issue with two sided adhesive tape coming off.
  • Rattle from central infotainment console - This issue is present since long, however I am unable to make out the exact location since this happens only on bad roads.
  • Infotainment system software update - I had seen the options in new Scorpio, wanted to check if the similar update is present for XUV

Update after service -
  • Fixed. However based on comments of XUV owners this is bound to re-appear. I have found a way to stop the rattle by keeping a folded piece of paper.
  • Fixed. They took out the number plate. Applied new two sided adhesive tape.
  • Did a long test drive with the technisian. Unable to find the source of rattle. Was suggested that they take out the centre console and try doing another test drive to pin point the issue. Decided not to mess around and create more issues, asked them to leave it the same way.
  • No software update. Guess will have to wait for somemore time to get update. What I liked most in the Scorpio infotainment system is option to check tyre pressure in the console itself as opposed to checking in mobile app for XUV

On checking the bill noticed that they have added 'AC Neutralizer treatment', SA was justifying the same saying they do the same for all vehicles. On asking him why it was done if it was not part of M&M checklist and job card he was apolotigic. It was already past 06.00 PM (took around 9 hours for second service which is just wash and issue checks) told will discuss the same later. Planning to escalate the same to Anant cars and if no conclusion then to M&M.

Earlier repairs -
    Last month a biker knocked out rear mud flap. Got the same replaced couple of weeks back.
    Part cost - Rs 133
    Labour - Rs 56
    Work was done at Sireesh Automobiles, Marathahalli. Work was done in around 2 hours. Along with the replacement SA informed that there was a service advise from M&M for re-torquing of front suspension. This was done free of cost.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-service_bill.jpg

Overall ownership experience till now-

The small rattles apart, completely happy with the vehicle till now. Of the 10K KM's till now majority was on highway. I guess the cumulative city drive may be less than 500 KM's. It is effortless and a delight to drive on highways, be it winding roads or expressways.

Have started seeing more number or Tuscan Red XUV's on road. Not sure if the color has gained sudden acceptance among XUV buyers or if it just me noticing the same after purchasing a red XUV.

Pic of XUV near Three Kings Church, Goa

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-suh_6733.jpg
Old 26th November 2014, 20:04   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

During a recent trip to Chennai got the best ever mileage reading of 18 KMPL. One thing I doubt is that the count 18 is the upper limit in the software. Since during my entire 350 KM's trip the highest it was displayed was 18.0, not even a decimal above that.

This figure was displayed for around 200 KM's of the trip. It was a night drive, starting from Bangalore around 07.00 PM and reaching Chennai around 12.30 AM.

Vehicle was driven around 100 KMPH, on 6 lane highway. AC was set at 25.5 degree and tyre pressure was 32Psi on all 4.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-img_20141121_212647179.jpg

During return trip for the same route mileage was ~15.7 KMPL.

Vacuum Pump recall -

After 10K Kms service while browsing through M&M XUV website noticed a recall notice for vacuum pump. Checked by entering my vehicles serial number and it was listed as part of recall.

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-20141118114242.jpg

Called up M&M dealers Anant cars and Sireesh motors, both of them informed they are yet to get any information about the recall. Anyways, next day got a SMS from M&M mentioning that I should contact my RM and fix an appointment.

There was an issue with part availability, which seems to be fixed now. Have fixed the appointment with Anant cars for next weekend.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 13:26   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

11700 KM's - Vacuum pump recall notice

As mentioned in earlier post, there was news about vacuum pump recall for vehicles manufactured in my lot.

Though initially there was no much information about the same, I got an SMS from Mahindra and then a call from Anant cars informing about the recall.

Last week got a mail from M&M informing the same too -

Optimus Prime - Tuscan Red Mahindra XUV5OO W8 ownership report-cam00232001.jpg

I was not able to take the vehicle to service center due to time constraints, anyways there were no trips planned so had time. Finally after booking an appointment, took the vehicle today morning to Anant cars. They checked and confirmed that, though my vehicle does not need to have vacuum pump changed since it has another batch of pumps.

After tyre rotation done during 10K service alignment was not done. So went to Madhus and got the same done. Damages Rs 560.
Old 5th December 2014, 14:48   #58
BHPian

Quote:
During a recent trip to Chennai got the best ever mileage reading of 18 KMPL. One thing I doubt is that the count 18 is the upper limit in the software. Since during my entire 350 KM's trip the highest it was displayed was 18.0, not even a decimal above that.
Good to see the mileage figure of 18Kmpl.
Last week I travelled from Bangalore to Chennai with three Adults and 2 kids and 50% of luggage in third row.
While driving at @110kmph top speed I was seeing 16+kmpl.
After krishnagiri started raising till 130Kmph it gradually came down. Onwards trip gave me mileage of 13.8Kmpl.
Return journey gave 13.5Kmpl with max speed of 130Kmph
PMK-MoJo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 12:57   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK-MoJo View Post
While driving at @110kmph top speed I was seeing 16+kmpl.
After krishnagiri started raising till 130Kmph it gradually came down.
L&T section after Krishnagiri is well laid and marked, it is a pleasure to drive.

Yes, I too noticed that you get the best mileage when around 110 KMPH range, it may be also since it is easier to maintain speeds around 100 KMPH in 4 or 6 lane highways since most vehicles in the same range.

Trying to drive in ~130 KMPH range involves more acceleration this could also be effecting mileage.

Anyways, I usually drive around 100 - 110 KMPH range since I am not comfortable with higher speeds due to unpredictable factors on road. Since I was mostly maintaining that speed and there was minimum traffic during drive to Chennai, I guess the mileage was highest.
Old 8th December 2014, 15:24   #60
BHPian

mpksuhas, Your Optimus Prime looks good and for the wonderful review. I appreciate the effort put in penning the details without any bias. I am going through the XUV ownership reviews to make sure I take a wise decision.
prabhu789 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks