Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2011, 22:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: CAUTION!!! Swift Owners installing Front Windshield Sunfilm

IMHO it is absolutely NOT required to fit front windshield film. If you have decent quality film on the windows & the rear windshield, it should take care of what it has to.

Other than ruining the ECU et al it is also going to hamper vision on a rainy day and winter nights. I may be the exception to the rule, but I do not have film installed on any of my cars.

Is the Airconditioner NOT supposed to be designed accordingly ??

Maybe I am old fashioned !!

Cheers
Old 1st May 2011, 23:08   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

Other than ruining the ECU et al it is also going to hamper vision on a rainy day and winter nights.
Ricky - I disagree ! The film designed for the front is so very transparent like the glass itself. For a person who doesn't know whether the film is installed, they can not even make out whether this is done except for the small logos [3M] on the screen. This is no way going to hamper the vision.

I agree that its not mandatory to have this installed, but then it will help improve the cooling as a lot of heat rejection happens thru this. I personally have felt the difference.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:28   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

swiftnfurious - True. I have installed them and many have commented on my tints. Although it's quite visible to make out from outside, when inside you cant even make out that films are installed. I agree that there is a small visibility drop but that doesnt hamper the driving. Please see the video of my ride.

Sorry for going OT. That's the only video I managed to take.

Old 2nd May 2011, 09:49   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Ricky - I disagree ! The film designed for the front is so very transparent like the glass itself. For a person who doesn't know whether the film is installed, they can not even make out whether this is done except for the small logos [3M] on the screen. This is no way going to hamper the vision.

I agree that its not mandatory to have this installed, but then it will help improve the cooling as a lot of heat rejection happens thru this. I personally have felt the difference.

Thanks for the information. You probably have used the legal almost transparent film which only rejects heat but does not kill visibility, nothing wrong with that.

Here in Delhi/NCR I have seen front windscreens which are totally blind, as in you CANNOT see inside the car. That is the one that I am dead against. Surely those would hamper vision, are illegal & are an impetus to criminal activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
swiftnfurious - True. I have installed them and many have commented on my tints. Although it's quite visible to make out from outside, when inside you cant even make out that films are installed. I agree that there is a small visibility drop but that doesnt hamper the driving. Please see the video of my ride.

Sorry for going OT. That's the only video I managed to take.

YouTube - Porsche Spotted - Cochin

Nice video, thanks for sharing. This is obviously is bright sunlight, anyway I have expressed my POV above. I am sure as a responsible citizen you would not have flouted the %age of visibility rule !! So that is cool !!

Cheers
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:55   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Thanks for the information. You probably have used the legal almost transparent film which only rejects heat but does not kill visibility, nothing wrong with that.
Wind screen sun films are specialized films and irrespective of make, will be near transparent. They must allow maximum light yet block UVR and heat - that is why they are so expensive.

If sun films used for the sides/rear are fixed on wind screens - even of the most reputed brands, the problems you mention will definitely occur. I have fixed Garware ice cool shield on my wind screen and it is almost invisible to all but the most discerning eyes.

Last edited by Gansan : 2nd May 2011 at 09:56.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:08   #81
BHPian

Friends,

With lot of thought, I went and got installed the Front Windsheild Garware Icecool film. It is a VLT 70 Icecool shield.
And to be frank, it is just money down the drain. There is no significant improvement in heat reduction. It is still the same. There is no difference. Waste of Rs.2800/-.

Icecool Shield
Icecool Elite 70
Icecool Alps
All of them are the same product with different names.
I think even 3M front film is also not that effective. Fake ones are being sold on JC road for 5800/-. Original ones are around 10K.
Not sure why it is marketed to fool people.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:50   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,

With lot of thought, I went and got installed the Front Windsheild Garware Icecool film. It is a VLT 70 Icecool shield.
And to be frank, it is just money down the drain. There is no significant improvement in heat reduction. It is still the same. There is no difference. Waste of Rs.2800/-.

I think even 3M front film is also not that effective. Fake ones are being sold on JC road for 5800/-. Original ones are around 10K.
Have you experienced any other front windscreen sunfilms to make that statement?

Garware makes crappy films. The 50% VLT film my Punto came with from the dealership was horrible, and gave no heat reduction so I cant imagine how bad the 70% VLT would be.

Just FYI films from brands like 3M, Vkool and Llumar do actually make a difference, in terms of heat reduction and glare.
Old 9th May 2011, 16:09   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Have you experienced any other front windscreen sunfilms to make that statement?

Garware makes crappy films. The 50% VLT film my Punto came with from the dealership was horrible, and gave no heat reduction so I cant imagine how bad the 70% VLT would be.

Just FYI films from brands like 3M, Vkool and Llumar do actually make a difference, in terms of heat reduction and glare.
True. I use Llumar and I immediately found the difference. Although the glare wasnt reduced to a great extent, there is a considerable reduction of heat. I park my car on the streets when am in office. After installing the films, the heat inside the car is very less when compared to my previous garware films.
Old 10th June 2011, 08:26   #84

I got my 3M CR70 sunfilm installed from Auto Shop in Kormangala yesterday evening.

The whole installation process was done by experts and no complaints there. They even tried to cover the winshield a/c vent/blower with a long piece of the same sun film to avoid water seeping into the vent. But I guess, some water still managed to seep in and my a/c wasn't working when I checked it after returning home last night .

I called Mr. Kumar from Auto Shop and he asked me to wait overnight and check this morning. I have just tried to switch on my ac again this morning while coming to work but the slight hissing sound from a/c is still present and it doesn't cool anymore. I am not an expert here but I feel that water might have seeped into and currently blocking air flow around the expansion valve thus avoiding cool air from circulating.

Can experts please advise if I should wait for a couple more days for the water to evoparate or take my car to MASS immediately?
Old 10th June 2011, 10:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I don't agree. I have installed Garware icecool shield with 70% VLT and it is rather good. I feel the difference when I enter the car after parking it in the sunlight for a while. This seems to be their flagship product.

I did some night driving only a couple of days ago after installing the film, and did not even remember my intention to check for night visibility issues. There was absolutely no issue, though I have only stock headlights in my Alto and use them only in low beam.
Old 10th June 2011, 11:57   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsatheesh View Post
I got my 3M CR70 sunfilm installed from Auto Shop in Kormangala yesterday evening.
latheesh,, how much did you pay for this?
Old 10th June 2011, 14:13   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Friends,

Icecool Shield
Icecool Elite 70
Icecool Alps
All of them are the same product with different names.
Any idea on how to find a fake 3M film? I can see the "3M" printed at regular intervals in my front windshield CR70 film. The "3M" printed looks like the one printed out by a dot matrix printer.
Old 10th June 2011, 17:09   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With lot of thought, I went and got installed the Front Windsheild Garware Icecool film. Waste of Rs.2800/-
Garware is a budget stuff. So please expect the same performance as well. When 3M charges a 5500/- and Vkool charges 8K or something for the front windshield for Swift, Garware gives it at 2.8K !

Quote:
Fake ones are being sold on JC road for 5800/-. Original ones are around 10K.
Original 3M has been selling for 5.5K in Bangy and I have one for my Swift. You got to choose the right dealer for authentic stuff. And I have never heard of a 10K item from 3M ! At that price it makes sense to go for V-Kool !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsatheesh View Post
Can experts please advise if I should wait for a couple more days for the water to evoparate or take my car to MASS immediately?
I got the work done there and they do a good job. You should wait only for a day to check this. Please keep your car in sun for a day [with windows rolled down preferably and check it later. Please make sure sun rays fall on your dash too and heats it up. This should be good enough to get the water content [if any] dry. Also when you take it to MASS, please don't tell them you have installed the film and the issue arose after that, I believe this voids warranty. Just tell them "it stopped working and you don't know the reason". But if they find out, then nothing can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have installed Garware icecool shield with 70% VLT and it is rather good.
Whats the price you paid for this film ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Should be 5.5 - 6K If I am not wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravananj View Post
Any idea on how to find a fake 3M film?
My 3M film has lots of these logos printed on those. The best thing to avoid fake ones are to go to dealers who are distributors of 3M. And also reputed dealers will not have fake 3M stuff. In Bangy, JC Road is best avoided unless you know the guys very well. I would recommend Autoshop guys in Koramangala. Very neat guys, customer centric, good job and sensible pricing too.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 10th June 2011 at 17:24.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2011, 07:59   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
I've paid 5.5k for this. This was the best price I could get after checking in many shops.
Old 11th June 2011, 13:38   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Whats the price you paid for this film ?
Rs 3600.00 at my MASS (Maruti Service Masters), under their invoice. But done by an installer from Garware main dealer. I have not yet compared it with a 3M or Vkool film as none of my friends have them, but am satisfied with it. It has a five year warranty, same as 3M.

The price difference between this and 3M/Vkool may also depend on whether it is a locally made/imported film, and need not necessarily reflect on quality. I heard there are fakes for Garware as well.

Last edited by Gansan : 11th June 2011 at 13:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks